Pokémon Black/White in-game discussion

... YES! I was very let down by frost breath :/. Bolt-Beam seems to be less available on movesets too. Shallow movepools and shallow TMs make awesome things harder to appreciate...such as Klink and the afformentioned TMs...

Was unaware about Black City and that Breloom was exclusive to Black. I feel like there being repeated battles in Black City is kind of unfair compared to White Forest. I haven't reached the forest yet though so maybe there are at least a few there as well?

No?

Dang.
There's a couple battles in a house there, but from what I've seen they're one time only... I originally looked forward to the catchable pokemon in the forest, especially Porygon (if I get lucky one of these days) but eventually realized how much more useful the trainers would be in Black City...

o.o
I picked Pokemon Black because it sounded much cooler than Pokemon White, who heard of a white gangster?
So if there is repeated battles, Im guessing I can abuse EVs.
If so.....

HECK YEAH

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Beaten the game on Black, here's my team that nobody cares about (As of the battle with Ghestis)

Carracosta (Seatle): Lv47 Waterfall/Smack Down/Crunch/Curse
Galvantula (Zaptula): Lv47 Slash/Thunderbolt/Signal Beam/Gastro Acid
Cofagrigus (Spiroffin): Lv47 Grass Knot/Shadow Ball/Will-O-Wisp/Hex
Vanilluxe (Ice Cream): Lv48 Uproar/Ice Beam/Taunt/Flash Cannon
Serperior (Smugleaf): Lv49 Strength/Leaf Blade/Giga Drain/Coil
Scrafty (Roughie): Lv51 Dragon Claw/Crunch/Chip Away/Hi-Jump Kick

Reshiram (Whitragon): Lv 51 Slash/Dragonbreath/Extrasensory/Fusion Flare

A ROUGH SUMMARY OF THE LAST THREE BATTLES

Reshiram: Not really a battle, caught it in two balls. First was a Quick Ball at Full Health, fail, then Roughie reduced Reshiram's health to a mere silver with 2 Hi-Jump Kicks & I subsequently caught it in an Ultra Ball. Nicknamed it, & started the battle with N.

N: Reshiram instantly came into the party as Zaptula was in the PC...Stupid GF put Reshiram at the front of the party despite the vacant spot, as it came out to battle with Zekrom. Before making a move, I checked Reshiram's stats. Special Attack in the 180's, Speed in the 80's, must have a Quiet nature, good for Trick Room teams...but meh. Now to the battle.
The battle was fierce, but all it took was 2 Dragonbreath's for Reshiram to kill Zekrom, only taking a Giga Impact & a Fusion Bolt in the process...
Smugleaf then took care of Carracosta, & for the lolz, I pitted my Vanilluxe against his Vanilluxe. My Vanilluxe won, 2HKOing with Flash Cannon, after N's Vanilluxe wasted his time setting up Hail, then use Flash Cannon, doing a chunk of damage.
Then I sent in Roughie to deal with Klinklang...Which knew Focus Blast...Huh? So Klinklang killed Roughie without loss, then Spiroffin came in. Klinklang used Night Slash...Huh? Then Mummy activated...Klinklang has Illusion for an ability? Hang on...Then it changed forms...Fuck, it was a Zoroark, & I was fooled big time...So Spiroffin sent the prankster to oblivion with the WoW-Hex Combo that has served me so well.
Carracosta then dealt with Archeops without too much trouble, & the real Klinklang came in & was dealt with by Spiroffin, winning me the battle.

Ghestis: Reshiram lead against Cofagrigus, & Fusion Flared for Half Damage while Cofagrigus gave Reshiram Toxic Poison. I then switched in Roughie, predicting Protect, & got it right, proceeding to KO with Crunch.
Roughie stayed in for Hydreigon, & survived a Dragon Pulse to 2HKO with Hi-Jump Kick (coughcoughfullrestorecoughcough). Third was Afro-Bull, & he hit like a truck, killing Roughie & Carracosta, before falling to Serperior & his Coiling antics.
Seismitoad was a joke & was easily OHKOed by Serperior's Leaf Blade, but along came Elektross, & he wreaked havoc, killing Serperior, but was killed By Reshiram, who cleaned up, OHKOing Bisharp with Fusion Flare & winning me the battle & the game.

All in all, I liked this game a lot, the best since GSC imo. As far as awards are concerned, Roughie was the MVP & Zaptula got LVP honours. I have played the post-game a bit & my Pokemon are holding well, despite the Lv60 trained Pokemon. I even had a go against Game Freak Morimoto, beating his Liepard & Swoobat, but I had no chance against Simisage...

That's all, hope you enjoyed my narration...Yeah. Amy flaws should I address for the post-game?

About to fight the E4, current team on White:

Chandelure

EVs SpecA/Speed
Nature: Timid
Flame Blast/Hex/Wisp/Memento

Galvantula
EVs SpecA/Speed
Nature: Calm
Signal Beam/Thunder/Thunderwave/Web

Krookodile
Nature: Gentle
-Dragon Claw/Crunch/Bulldozer/Brick Break

Simipour
Nature: Brave
-Brick Break/Scald/Acrobatics/Shadow Claw

Serperior
Nature: Bashful
-Leaf Blade/Dragon Tail/Aerial Ace/Coil

Only five and I only really "raised" the Litwick and Galvantula as I caught/used the other too early to really train them. They're doing just fine though. Super pumped about my Chandelure as it's the first Pokemon I really tried to raise by "pro" standards. I've always been pretty casual but I have a friend who's really into Pokemon so I figured I should put a little more effort in for him.

So yeah, advice/comments appreciated as I'm very new at "serious" Pokemon.

There's a couple battles in a house there, but from what I've seen they're one time only... I originally looked forward to the catchable pokemon in the forest, especially Porygon (if I get lucky one of these days) but eventually realized how much more useful the trainers would be in Black City...
Unfortunate...maybe I'll make some eggs form my current team and then trade them over to a Black cartridge...

Wierd, I caught it in two ultra balls, without status just in red.
Got lucky I guess.
Well, it varies. I have caught it in the first Quick Ball I chucked once (without the Quick Ball's multiplier being active). It just seems occasionally to decide to be annoying. I still haven't hit my delay, though, so it's all moot... (6 over, 4 over, 4 under, 5 over, 4 over, 12 under, 2 over, 6 over, 7 under... Argh!)

I've begun breeding. Pokemon, that is.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how to get both mach punch and drain punch on timburr? The parents for both are completely different and i'm not sure where the chain is.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've begun breeding. Pokemon, that is.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how to get both mach punch and drain punch on timburr? The parents for both are completely different and i'm not sure where the chain is.
I would say the easiest way is to get a male Chimchar in Gen IV, evolve it to Monferno, teach it Mach Punch & Drain Punch (via TM for Drain Punch), then transfer it over to Gen V & breed it with Timburr, & there you go! A Timburr with Mach Punch & Drain Punch.

EDIT: The below post works too.

After reading all of this, I'm beginning to think I played my Japanese Black the stupid way... I would like to inform all users of Haxorus: Dragon Dance is better than Swords Dance unless you're going to far Ghetsis with something like all Lv60 Pokemon! I had a shitload of trouble beating that stupid Hydreigon and in the end I had to potion stall with Virizion... :(

Litwick is actually quite worth it; although it's hell to train, you can just evolve it right off the bat and teach it the appropriate TMs. With just Shadow Ball and Flamethrower, you can do massive damage; Will-o-Wisp can help against Marshal.

On my second playthrough now.
I want to make a decision, that whether to keep either my Drilbur, or my Sandile.
I want my team to have a Chandelure, Druggidon, Deino+

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Something interesting has caught my attention...
It seems that the AI isn't yet completely smart yet.

During my battle with a Team Plasma grunt in Dragonspiral Tower, his lead poke is a Lvl 30+ Watchog.
My lead poke is a Zoroark, and my last poke is a Lampent.
The AI was really deceived, thinking that my lead is a ghost type, it switched out the Watchog, because it has no attacks that do damage against my "wannabe Lampent".

I also noticed that fake out users never used fake out against my "ghost lead" ^^

Done E4 with an underlevelled team(highest was a LV 45 Samurott)

TEAM:

Samurott w/Mystic Water Modest Grass Knot/Blizzard/Surf/Revenge
Reuniclus w/EXP Share Modest Psychic/Recover/Light Screen/Shadow Ball
Scrafty w/Lucky Egg(Rawst Berry for Shauntal) Mild(wtf) Cheer Up/Hi Jump Kick/Brick Break/Crunch
Lilligant w/Big Root Rash Aromatherapy/Sleep Powder/Leech Seed/Giga Drain
Scolipede w/EXP Share Hasty Baton Pass/Iron Defense/Steamroller/Agility(swapped for Toxic, it hit LV 44 lol)
Darmanitan w/Helmet Hasty Flare Blitz/Hammer Arm/Fire Punch/Strength

Grimsley: I started with him first to get Scrafty warmed up for the rest of the league. I had a Moxie one so I couldn't Shed stall Burn from Co(BAN ME PLEASE)grigus, and hence didn't do Shauntal first. His lead was a Scrafty, but it didn't even have HJK, it ran Brick Break instead. ._." 2HKO'd. Liepard came out while I swapped to Darmanitan, Darmanitan OHKO'd with Hammer Arm then ran off against Krookodile, which was promptly OHKO'd by a Surf from Samurott. Bisharp survived a Hammer Arm, but he used Night Slash and Helmet pretty much finished the job.

Marshal: A slightly annoying douchebag. Reuniclus happened to be slower than Throh, so Payback didn't do double damage. Psychic could only put Throh in the red though, but it was a good thing since Marshal wasted his full restores on Throh, which allowed me to outstall Mienshao. Speaking of Mienshao, it was... stupid. After having Sawk and Conkeldurr eat half my team, U-Turn was supposed to eat only half of Reuniclus's HP...

it critted.

I had to Max Revive Reuniclus and OHKO that bitch with Psychic.

Shauntal: Yeah, thanks to an idiot known as Co(BAN ME PLEASE)grigus, I had to equip a Rawst Berry instead so I don't need to waste my Full Restores(I brought only 10, the bulk of my items were Hyper Potions). Anyway, Scrafty managed to Cheer Up(I refuse to use the name Work Up, it sounds gay, period) to +6, OHKO with Crunch, got pwned back by Golurk(and he used CURSE the first time. :/), but at least I mummy'd his Iron Fist. Jellicent was handled by Lilligant, probably the only thing that she ever did outside of stalling while I revive my Pokemon. Cursed Body was annoying as fuck though. I had Samurott out for the last showdown against Chandelure, and I thought I was screwed because I thought Chandelure knew Energy Ball for its last move(it had Psychic, Shadow Ball and Fire Blast, turns out it was trolololol Payback), but it Shadow Ball'd instead and Samurott one-shotted it.

Caitlin: I nominate Sigilyph for in-game Uber. It nearly raped my team throughout, but Samurott somehow survived Psychic and OHKO'd with Blizzard. Musharna was handled very poorly by Lilligant(fuck 2-turn sleep), while Reuniclus handled its clone, who decided to run Thunder over Shadow Ball. Gothitelle was hard, I had to Toxic+Revive-stall it until it was low on HP, Scolipede flattened Gothitelle and was my only surviving Pokemon at the end. :/

Now gonna face Zekrom.

Reserves: Conkeldurr, Galvantula, Durant, Boldore. Don't ask why I benched Galvantula and Conkeldurr, I completely don't know.

Something interesting has caught my attention...
It seems that the AI isn't yet completely smart yet.

During my battle with a Team Plasma grunt in Dragonspiral Tower, his lead poke is a Lvl 30+ Watchog.
My lead poke is a Zoroark, and my last poke is a Lampent.
The AI was really deceived, thinking that my lead is a ghost type, it switched out the Watchog, because it has no attacks that do damage against my "wannabe Lampent".

I also noticed that fake out users never used fake out against my "ghost lead" ^^
One could say the AI actually IS smart. There's no way it should know that your pokemon is Zoroark. Anyway my experiences show that the AI knows you're running Illusion, but still attacks your disguise according to it's type.

So basically illusion changes your type for the AI, but not your ability. They will hit with ground if your ability should be levitate eg.

Ok, so far I have breed samurott, galvantula, chandelier(easily the best gen V mon), sigilihy, Scrafty, Afro buffalo, Crustle(never used him :/), and I soft reset a hole bunch o' times to get terrakion...

The only pokemon I found useful out of the group were galvantula, chandelure, and terrakion... :)

One could say the AI actually IS smart. There's no way it should know that your pokemon is Zoroark. Anyway my experiences show that the AI knows you're running Illusion, but still attacks your disguise according to it's type.

So basically illusion changes your type for the AI, but not your ability. They will hit with ground if your ability should be levitate eg.
There is one exception seemingly - they WILL hit your Zoroark with Leech Seed even if you mimic a Grass type.
I think its a touch of genious - most games, illusionary tricks dont work on the AI. The fact that they do on here help a lot.

Update time:

Backtracked a bit to get Scraggy, until I realised I had a Fly HM --'
Went to the desert, cought a Scraggy (Timid with Shed Skin). Gave him the Lucky Egg and did some switch training in Celestial Tower. Went to the gym when he was 33. Solo'ed Skyla with Galvantula. Went to Twist Mountain, leveled up Scraggy to 40, in which he evolved to Scrafty. Next up: Train team to 40 :)

Team:
Serperior lvl 37
Seismitoad lvl 37
Scrafty lvl 40
Galvantula lvl 40
Darminitan (or so) lvl 41
Tranquill (Fly Slave) lvl 26

Maybe it has to do with some abilities broadcasting immediately, like Mold Breaker, Pressure, and Teravolt/ Turboblaze, it's possible that if such an ability didn't broadcast, it would call the bluff for humans. Maybe AI automatically knows whether or not certain abilities are active and don't discriminate on whether or not it was shown, but still reacts to the typing of the illusion. I guess that's more about "why" rather than "what". It's been amazing against psychics, but I'm excite to try it out against those damned fake-out users O.O.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alternatively, you could just defeat it. I'm sure it respawns after beating the E4 (or after beating Alder); every legendary in HGSS did so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)