Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It's Poison/Fighting.... So I have no idea how that happened...

Unless you got tricked by a Zoroark...?
Nope, no Zoroarks. It's just that I can't, for some reason, remember its typing so easily. I know every pokémon's typing by heart (even Drapion's), but Toxicroak always gets me. I think it's just too dark-like to me and Poison/Dark reminds me of Drapion and then in comes Bug-type and well I'm screwed. Being immune to Water and "weak" to Fire also doesn't happen.

not design misconceptions, but i am apparently horrible at pronouncing pokemon names
left is spelling, middle is how i pronounced it, right is apparently correct

buizel * buz-zel * bwe-ezle
rayquaza * ray-qwah-za * ray-qway-za
munna * muh-na * moo-na
pidgeot * pid-jee-ot * pid-jit
virizion * ver-iz-ee-awn * vir-eye-zee- in
terrakion * terr-a-kee-awn * terr-a-kee-in
cobalion * co-bawl-ee-awn * co-bay-lee-in
banette * bun-net * bay-net
boldore * bowl-dor-ay * bol-dor
darmanitan * dar-min-i-shun * dar-man-i-tan

are the ones that come to me, but there were probably more. crap, i suck.

EDIT made it easier to read

not design misconceptions, but i am apparently horrible at pronouncing pokemon names

buizel - buzzel
rayquaza - rayqwaza
munna - muhna
pidgeot - pidjeyot
virizion - verizeawn
terrakion - terrakeawn
cobalion - cobawleawn
banette - bunnet
boldore - bowldoray
darmanitan - darminishun

are the ones that come to me, but there were probably more. crap, i suck.
Wait
Are these your way or the right way?
Do people pronounce Rayquaza or Pidgeot differently to that?
Also if this is your way... how do you get a "sh" sound in Darmanitan???

edit: seriously unless I'm misinterpreting your phoenetics I can't even fathom another way to pronounce Pidgeot that is completely retarded

Wait
Are these your way or the right way?
Do people pronounce Rayquaza or Pidgeot differently to that?
Also if this is your way... how do you get a "sh" sound in Darmanitan???

edit: seriously unless I'm misinterpreting your phoenetics I can't even fathom another way to pronounce Pidgeot that is completely retarded
how i pronounce 'em, sorry

i misread darmanitan as darminitian lol

At first I misinterpreted Excadrill's eyes as that red eye-shaped thing on the back of its head which made it's top horn look like a beak. Quite confusing looking at a small screenshot before BW came out.

Now that I see it right I really like its design, especially how it can turn into a drill when it combines it's head and arms.

Once you notice Anoritha real eyes, it goes from looking badass to looking really adorable.

I thought that thing on Golurk's chest was like part of a key. I assumed he was a golem that had to wound up (why from the front I dunno) or something. It wasn't until I read his dex entries that talked about the bandaid/patch that keeps his power in check... It doesn't help that the crack on it's chest is poorly drawn in sprites and the actual artwork! It just looks like a stripe.

I always assumed Bronzong had an expression like Brock (or Gin from Bleach), and those bars were it's eyes. Now I can't help but see the red circles as eyes, and Bronzong is quickly going from stoic to goofy. I don't want to know what it's real face is supposed to be, I'm going with my original interpretation.

This next misconception I feel a lot of people have, I would really like to stress:

He does not have Compound eyes! He has normal eyes. He's actually glaring at you become you think he has a big bug eyes. That giant red thing is a membrane that stops sand from getting into his eyes (kinda like the Sandile-family). He's basically wearing goggles. All his sprites are incredibly deceptive though, so I see where the misconception comes from if you've never seen any Flygon artwork (plus he evolves from a Bug type).

He is never getting [the ability] Compoundeyes. Sorry.

Lastly... is Togekiss like a beluga whale with wings? I'm pretty sure it is... Where is it's neck?

All his sprites are incredibly deceptive though, so I see where the misconception comes from if you've never seen any Flygon artwork (plus he evolves from a Bug type).
just wanted to point out something here - trapinch is pure ground, vibrava is ground/dragon, like flygon, although it totally looks like a bug.

breh

強いだね

He does not have Compound eyes! He has normal eyes. He's actually glaring at you become you think he has a big bug eyes. That giant red thing is a membrane that stops sanding from getting into his eyes (kinda like the Sandile-family). He's basically wearing goggles.
You could say that these Goggles allow it to Go a lot of interesting places.

This next misconception I feel a lot of people have, I would really like to stress:

He does not have Compound eyes! He has normal eyes. He's actually glaring at you become you think he has a big bug eyes. That giant red thing is a membrane that stops sanding from getting into his eyes (kinda like the Sandile-family). He's basically wearing goggles. All his sprites are incredibly deceptive though, so I see where the misconception comes from if you've never seen any Flygon artwork (plus he evolves from a Bug type).

Lastly... is Togekiss like a beluga whale with wings? I'm pretty sure it is... Where is it's neck?
OH NO

I thought Flygon looked really friendly, and that his eyes weren't necessarily compound eyes, but just big googly eyes.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so like I am a big Rhyperior fan, but for the longest time I really hated him because of this misconception springing from his Generation 4 backsprite.

As you can see, he has his arm up, and because of the camera angle, it is behind his head...but I guess I did not look too closely on the DS, because to me it always seemed like the arm was coming out of his head. (And it wasn't too hard to think that the hand was just off-screen) Which, looking back...is just...weird...because I knew what his head looked like from the front sprite.

So basically, I assumed that it was his horn and it was just bigger and different when looking from the backsprite or something. That, or it was just some weird horned growth coming out of his head.

...I don't think I really discovered that it was his arm until I played Soul Silver around July-August 2012, because HGSS had the backsprite animations when you entered battle, and I saw the arm and head animate as two separate things. I also noticed that a bit of his elbow can be seen at the end, and I saw how the arm and elbow were attached.

So that sort of got rid of my "head tumor" Rhyperior impression and I started to like using him xD But...yeah...that was just...weird...

As you can see, he has his arm up, and because of the camera angle, it is behind his head...but I guess I did not look too closely on the DS, because to me it always seemed like the arm was coming out of his head. (And it wasn't too hard to think that the hand was just off-screen) Which, looking back...is just...weird...because I knew what his head looked like from the front sprite.
I think your misconception should be accepted as the new headcanon. (Rhyperior's arms are cannons that shoot rocks. Geddit?)

I used to think the thing between Kadabra's legs was his private parts, especially in Pokemon Stadium. I found it weird that Alakazam no longer had it.

I used to think Gyarados could fly. Pokemon Stadium and sprites... just were never very clear about this. Is it floating because its in water, or because its in air?

For the longest time, I used to think Ledian only had 2 arms. And I used to think Togetic was the same shade of yellow that Togepi's face is. These were all misconceptions from when I was younger.

The first artwork I saw of Meloetta's two formes made me think it was human-sized (like Jynx), and that the two formes were separate pokemon.

He does not have Compound eyes! He has normal eyes. He's actually glaring at you become you think he has a big bug eyes. That giant red thing is a membrane that stops sanding from getting into his eyes (kinda like the Sandile-family). He's basically wearing goggles. All his sprites are incredibly deceptive though, so I see where the misconception comes from if you've never seen any Flygon artwork (plus he evolves from a Bug type).

To be fair I think people want Tinted Lens not Compoundeyes. (Noctowl gets it so goggled-eye Flygon isn't too much of a stretch :p)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think your misconception should be accepted as the new headcanon. (Rhyperior's arms are cannons that shoot rocks. Geddit?
Oh Jeez, I certainly hope not! That misconception is like the ugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on xD

Also, LOL at the Kadabra ballsack thing >_>

also hey shrewy nice to see you

I thought that thing on Golurk's chest was like part of a key. I assumed he was a golem that had to wound up (why from the front I dunno) or something. It wasn't until I read his dex entries that talked about the bandaid/patch that keeps his power in check... It doesn't help that the crack on it's chest is poorly drawn in sprites and the actual artwork! It just looks like a stripe.
I actually thought Golurk was some sort of wind-up toy too. I'm kind of shocked that he isn't. I never caught one so I hadn't read the dex entry, but that "band-aid" really looks like a key. Looking at it with this new knowledge, the angle wouldn't make since if it was a key; it would be bent really far down and to the left.

Ha! I wasn't the only one who thought that about Golurk.

Also, Vibrava is Dragon/Ground?! No way... Since RSE I've always thought it was Bug/Flying... This is a huge revelation. Wow.

Ha! I wasn't the only one who thought that about Golurk.

Also, Vibrava is Dragon/Ground?! No way... Since RSE I've always thought it was Bug/Flying... This is a huge revelation. Wow.
I'm just hoping I'm not the only one who tried using thunderbolt on Flygon during the elite 4 fight.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
lol

I just found something out today:

Look down.. down.. further. Until you find lilligant's feet. It has 3 of them!? I never knew that, and I have used lilligant on 3 runs of black! It should have 2! It is a freakin' plant lady, but ladies have 2 feet (I think) so it would make sense for lilligant to as well!

But then again this is pokemon...

While on the subject of Lilligant, I had an entirely different misconception about it.

So before I saw it's dream world art I used to think that Lilligant's "arm leaves" were just decorations and it's "arm" were the two... uh... "braids" of it's hair. I thought it was holding them up to it's head or something.... Does anyone know what I mean?

Edit: 200th post!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)