Pokémon GO

Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto to celebrate Pokémon’s anniversary as well as Pokémon GO's anniversary announced.

Rundown
  • Takes place on February 20, 9am to 9pm local time
  • Ticket (paid, costs US$11.99 +taxes or equivalent) features
    • All Kanto Pokémon to be available via wild encounters, raids, research tasks, Incense, or evolution
    • Capturing all Kanto Pokémon before February 28th will earn you some kind of reward
    • Red and Green versions available (details below)
    • All Kanto Pokémon will be available as shinies
    • Event-exclusive Special Research to encounter a special Pokémon
    • Completion of the above Special Research will grant access to a second Special Research that will reward a Shiny Mew (can be completed after event ends)
    • Candy bonus for catching Kanto Pokémon
    • Purchasing the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket before January 14th PST for free access to January's Community Day Special Research
    • Purchasing the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket before February 4th PST for free access to February's Community Day Special Research
  • Free features
    • Some Kanto Pokémon will appear in the wild and in raids
    • Kanto legendary Pokémon will be in Legendary raids
    • Event-exclusive Timed Research
    • 40km trade range
  • Red Version
    • Exclusive Pokémon via Incense: Ekans, Oddish, Mankey, Growlith, Scyther, Electabuzz
    • Increased shiny chance: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pidgey, Ekans, Pikachu, Nidoran-F, Oddish, Diglett, Mankey, Growlithe, Ponyta, Shellder, Drowzee, Krabby, Hitmonlee, Lickitung, Scyther, Electabuzz, Eevee, Kabuto, Dratini
  • Green Version
    • Exclusive Pokémon via Incense: Sandshrew, Vulpix, Meowth, Bellsprout, Magmar, Pinsir
    • Increased shiny chance: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pidgey, Pikachu, Sandshrew, Nidoran-M, Vulpix, Meowth, Psyduck, Bellsprout, Geodude, Exeggcute, Hitmonchan, Koffing, Tangela, Horsea, Magmar, Pinsir, Eevee, Omanyte, Dratini
  • Exclusive attacks
    • Articuno: Hurricane
    • Zapdos: Thunder Shock
    • Moltres: Sky Attack
    • Mewtwo: Psystrike
Also announced: January Community Day will be on January 16th, and February Community Day will be on February 7th.

Celebrate Pokémon’s anniversary with a brand-new event—Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto!

Trainers,

Next year marks both Pokémon’s anniversary and Pokémon GO’s fifth anniversary! To celebrate, we’re excited to announce a virtual, ticketed event that Trainers all around the globe will be able to take part in.

No matter where you are in the world, take a trip back to the region where it all started: Kanto.

Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto

Experience the wonder of the games that sparked a global phenomenon! In the ticketed version of this event, you’ll choose between the Red Version or Green Version of the event experience, each featuring version-exclusive Pokémon. Complete event-exclusive Special Research, and test your Pokémon-collection skills. Trading with a friend who chose the other version will be important, just like it was in Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green! Can you collect all 150 original Pokémon in one day?

We’re also excited to announce that during the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto event, the first 150 Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region will be available as Shiny Pokémon, some of them for the first time ever. If you’re lucky, you just might find a Shiny Pokémon! You’ll be able to encounter these Shiny Pokémon after the event is over, too.

That’s not all—after completing the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto Special Research, Trainers will receive a second event-exclusive Special Research line. Overcoming difficult challenges and daunting tasks will be required to complete it, but it’ll all be worth it to discover Shiny Mew.

Tickets for Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto are available in the in-app shop now! And if you purchase a Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket by a certain date, you’ll also receive tickets for the Special Research stories for the January and February Community Day events! If you choose not to purchase a ticket, there’ll still be exciting features for you to enjoy during the event.

Read on for more details about Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto!

Date + Time

Saturday, February 20, 2021, from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. local time

Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticketed-experience features
  • All Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region will be appearing in the wild, will be appearing in raids, will be appearing in encounters after research tasks, will be attracted to Incense, or will be obtainable via Evolution during this time.
  • Try to collect the first 150 Pokémon originally discovered in Kanto to earn rewards and bragging rights! You’ll be able to track your progress in the Today View. Are you up for the challenge?
  • Select which experience you want: Red Version or Green Version. See below for more details on the differences between these experiences!
  • All 150 Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region will be available as Shiny Pokémon, some of them for the first time! In addition, you’ll be more likely to encounter certain Shiny Pokémon in the wild depending on the event version you selected. Check out the version overview below for more information.
  • Enjoy an event-exclusive Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto Special Research story, which you can complete to earn an encounter with a special Pokémon!
  • Once you complete the first Special Research line, you’ll be able to access a second event-exclusive Special Research story, meant to be completed over a long period of time, in which you’ll embark on a long and challenging journey to discover Shiny Mew.
  • You’ll earn more Candy for catching Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region.
  • If you purchase a Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket by a certain date, you’ll also receive tickets for the January and February Community Day Special Research stories for free! See details below.
Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto nonticketed-experience features

The following features will be available to all Trainers during the event, regardless of whether they purchase a ticket!
  • Some Pokémon originally discovered in Kanto will be appearing in the wild and in raids.
  • Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo will be returning to Legendary raids! See below for these Pokémon’s featured exclusive attacks.
  • All Trainers will be able to access event-exclusive Timed Research.
  • Trade range will be increased to 40 km.
Red Version or Green Version?

Ever since 1996, “Which version are you getting?” has been an important question for Pokémon fans. Similar to the original game series, Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto will feature different versions of the ticketed experience, each with version-exclusive Pokémon. To collect the first 150 Pokémon originally discovered in Kanto, you’ll need to trade with friends who have the other event version. To help with this, trade range will be increased to 40 km during the week of the event!

Version-exclusive Pokémon will be attracted to Incense during event hours. Additionally, you’ll have a greater chance of encountering certain Shiny Pokémon depending on which version you choose, as outlined below. Once you choose your event version, you can’t change it, so pick carefully! Note that you’ll pick your version closer to the event date, so don’t worry about choosing right now.

Red Version
  • Red Version–Exclusive Pokémon: Ekans, Oddish, Mankey, Growlithe, Scyther, and Electabuzz will be attracted to Incense.
  • You’ll have an increased chance of encountering these Shiny Pokémon: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pidgey, Ekans, Pikachu, Nidoran ♀, Oddish, Diglett, Mankey, Growlithe, Ponyta, Shellder, Drowzee, Krabby, Hitmonlee, Lickitung, Scyther, Electabuzz, Eevee, Kabuto, and Dratini.
Green Version
  • Green Version–Exclusive Pokémon: Sandshrew, Vulpix, Meowth, Bellsprout, Magmar, and Pinsir will be attracted to Incense.
  • You’ll have an increased chance of encountering these Shiny Pokémon: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pidgey, Pikachu, Sandshrew, Nidoran ♂, Vulpix, Meowth, Psyduck, Bellsprout, Geodude, Exeggcute, Hitmonchan, Koffing, Tangela, Horsea, Magmar, Pinsir, Eevee, Omanyte, and Dratini.
Earn rewards by collecting the first 150 Pokémon originally discovered in Kanto!

You’ll be able to collect the first 150 Pokémon originally discovered in the Kanto region in several challenges, earning rewards as you do!

If you don’t manage to collect the first 150 Pokémon originally discovered in Kanto during the event, don’t worry! You’ll have until February 27, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. PST (GMT −8) to catch certain Pokémon. You can use this extra time to trade Pokémon, evolve Pokémon, battle in raids, and encounter Pokémon after completing research tasks to finish your collection and claim the rewards!

Featured exclusive attacks
  • Articuno caught during the event will know Hurricane.
  • Zapdos caught during the event will know Thunder Shock.
  • Moltres caught during the event will know Sky Attack.
  • Mewtwo caught during the event will know Psystrike.
Early-purchase bonus

If you purchase a Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket by a certain date, you’ll get free tickets for the January and February Community Day events’ Special Research stories! Read on for more details and conditions.
  • January Community Day is scheduled for Saturday, January 16, 2021. To receive a free ticket for the January Community Day Special Research story, you must purchase your Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket by Wednesday, January 13, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. PST (GMT −8). If you purchase your Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket by this deadline, you’ll also receive a ticket for the February Community Day Special Research story!
  • February Community Day is scheduled for Sunday, February 7, 2021. In order to receive a free ticket for the February Community Day Special Research story, you must purchase your Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket by Wednesday, February 3, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. PST (GMT −8).
Please note that you must meet certain conditions to receive these Special Research stories. To receive your free tickets for the Community Day Special Research stories, you’ll need to purchase your Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket by the deadlines outlined above. You must log in to Pokémon GO during each Community Day event to obtain its corresponding Special Research story. After you’ve obtained a Community Day Special Research story, you can complete it at any time. Tickets for the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto event are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service).

How to purchase a ticket

Tickets for Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto are now available in the in-app shop! Tickets are US$11.99 plus any applicable taxes and fees (or the equivalent in your local currency). Tickets cannot be purchased with PokéCoins. To purchase your ticket, follow these steps.

In the in-app shop, tap the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto image. Tap the Buy button. You’ll then see a checkmark purchase confirmation indicating that you’ve successfully purchased a ticket for Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto. After the purchase, you can find the ticket in your Item Bag. A few weeks before the event, you’ll be able to choose which event version you’d like to participate in by tapping the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticket in your Item Bag and selecting your desired version in the resulting pop-up. Note that once you choose your version, you can’t change your selection. After confirming your version selection, you’ll receive a corresponding medal. When you open the app during the event hours on Saturday, February 20, 2021, you’ll receive access to the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto ticketed experience, including the Special Research story. After you’ve obtained the Special Research, you can complete it at any time. Tickets to this event are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service).

Be sure to check the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto website for more updates in the coming weeks.

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Only thing I want to know is if non-payers get the regional exclusives. Tauros and Kangaskhan's missing entries have been an eyesore for me for a while now.
I imagine they'll be in raids - it was mentioned that others aside from the 4 legendaries will be. I'm assuming all the starters will be too, as well as things like Alakazam, Machamp, Gengar, Golem, Snorlax, Lapras, and possibly Omastar/Kabutops. Just my guess, though.

I'm sorry for pessimism, but... I'm afraid at the rate Ntic is going, those region exclusives are remaining exclusive to non-buyers. They gotta milk the PokéDex blanks. I do hope they change their mind though....
As of now, I lack that one last lousy Heracross for another Platinum medal.... Thankfully, past events let me hatch all the Kanto exclusives, so I'm done with that and want to never look back....

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With the level cap increase I'm back to coordinating lucky egg occasions and evolving new stuff along with any pidgey weedle or caterpie or anything that essentially needs to evolve which I'd otherwise wait for a field task. with the new feature to tag pokemon, i was essentially able to pre-identify things as new evolutions and now with community day I've setup a separate group of tags for those I want to evolve on community day such as rhyhorn bagon mudkip and torchic lines to name a few. very convenient indeed.

edit: I'm currently in Puerto Rico so I've caught lots of regionals here such as heracross and maractus mainly for those back home and hopefully in the future when global remote trading ever becomes possible.

Can anyone explain to me how Go fetches data from your phone to update distance walked, and perhaps why it takes so long to update?

I started today at 4.2km / 5km walked for an egg to hatch. Left home at about noon, and got home around five hours later. Over this time, my phone tracked a total of 5.2km walked. It is now 10pm, i.e. 10 hours after I left home and 5 hours after I got home, yet my egg is only at 4.5km / 5km. In other words, over the course of 10 hours, Go likely only grabbed data once, and that was when I walked 0.3km, bare minutes after I had initially left home, over 10 hours ago.

EDIT: 13.5 hours after I left home, and it went up to 4.6km / 5km. I double checked to make sure, and Adventure Sync is on. I'm at a complete loss at how it just added 0.4km of 5.2km walked yesterday. Just imagine if this were to happen during a 25% hatch distance bonus on a Community Day. Pop one of the four or five 10km eggs you have in an incubator at the start of the event, walk a good 10km in the 6 hours of CD, only for 0.4km of it to actually count, smh.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Totally didn't accidentally post a message here meant for Pokemon's other current popular mobile game. No sir, I got that hypothetical post correct first try!

Last edited:
Featured Pokemon for January's Community Day is Machop, because we really need more common (Kanto) Pokémon.

Rundown
  • January 16th, 11am to 5pm local time
  • Shiny Machop
  • Learns Payback when evolving Machoke into Machamp from 11am to 7pm that day
  • Snapshot surprise
  • Bundle for 1,280 PokéCoins, including Elite Charge TM, 4 Incense, 4 Star Pieces, and 30 Ultra Balls
  • Special Research story for US$1 or equivalent
  • 3x Catch Stardust bonus
  • 3-hour Incense

Rising to the challenge of January Community Day is none other than Machop!

Trainers,

When you get knocked down, you just have to get back up. Despite losing out on the chance to be featured in last February’s Community Day, Machop, the Superpower Pokémon, never gave up. That resilience has paid off, because Machop will star in the upcoming January Community Day—and you can be sure it’ll make the most of it!

Date + Time

Saturday, January 16, 2021, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time

Features
  • Machop will be appearing more frequently in the wild. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny one!
  • Evolve Machoke during the event or up to two hours afterward to get a Machamp that knows Payback.
  • Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise!
  • There’ll be a special one-time-purchase Machop Community Day Box available for 1,280 PokéCoins, featuring an Elite Charged TM, four Incense, four Star Pieces, and 30 Ultra Balls.
  • For US$1 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the Machop Community Day–exclusive Special Research story, Straight to the Top, Machop! Remember, Trainers—if you purchase a ticket for the Pokémon GO Tour: Kanto event by Wednesday, January 13, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. PST (GMT −8), you’ll get this Special Research story for free!
Stay tuned for when tickets for the Straight to the Top, Machop! Special Research story go live! Tickets are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service). Please note that this Special Research will not include an in-game medal.

Bonuses
  • 3× Catch Stardust
  • Incense activated during the event will last for three hours
Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
These level up challenges are hard especially for those of us free to play and earn coins by staying in gyms long enough before getting kicked out on a daily basis. It took my main account about 30 days to advance to level 41 by mostly using free or rarely using premium passes at any of the gyms i can conveniently get to. Also before getting to level 41 I recommend pre-walking 2 eevees as you'll need to evolve them to complete the unique evolution task with eevee. level 42 which is where I'm at involves not just raiding a legendary but catching them as well. I've resisted buying coins in this game so I'm also too low on coins with no remote passes. I'm currently at 2 out of 5 with the other tasks already done. level 43 which is where my alt account is happens to be very boring just battle myself tons of times and force the other to keep losing.

Looking ahead the task i dread most is maxing out 6 pokemon to level 50 with an estimate of 296 xl candy

Meltan Box has been fire for completing certain tasks. Catch 200 Pokemon in a single day and throw 200 berries has been made quite simple thanks to that. Currently at 42 waiting to find some time to raid.

These level up challenges are hard especially for those of us free to play and earn coins by staying in gyms long enough before getting kicked out on a daily basis.
The good thing is that it is purely cosmetic. Lv41+ gives nothing at all further, other than cosmetic bragging rights. By Lv 40 you are already allowed to max any Mon to maximum level.
I'm in no hurry, so I just take my time doing these things. I'm not the bragger kinds like some people over my city's group.

I'm new to the game what are the top tier Pokemon I should be looking to train up with stardust? So far I have Gardevoir, Gengar and Venusaur.

I'm new to the game what are the top tier Pokemon I should be looking to train up with stardust? So far I have Gardevoir, Gengar and Venusaur.
Get yourself a few Eons. Vaporeon, Espeon, Jolteon, and this is just my own opinion but I like Glaceon. I'd also say you need a good fire type. Blaziken has been very solid for me, tho you'll be missing out on Blast Burn.

For best starting points, in matters vees....

The important one would be Glaceon. You likely lack better Ice type raiders like Mammoswine or Galarnitan.
Espeon is good, although lately Psychic type isn't very relevant in raids, unless they got the Musketeers back. It's good to get Machamp too though.
Flareon is ok Fire type, and hope Reshi comes back to raid soon....
Vaporeon is actually only good for defending gyms, honestly. As much as I love them..... Well, you can use in raids for bulky water attacker but it has not the best DPS and you'll want something like Gyarados.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Maybe it's just my local area but I've found Gible to be pleasantly common during the Sinnoh event, unlike Go Fest or the recent release of Rufflet in raids (there's a fun sentence to say). The Team Rocket Grunt with a Snover, though... that's another story.

Roselia's a left-field choice for a community day but I'm pleased. I have to admit I was expecting a Hitmon line day for Feb, with Tyrogue in eggs like the Electabuzz/Magmar day, or another Eevee day so they could introduce Sylveon, so this is much better. Still hoping for any of Duskull, Whismur, Aron, Spheal, and Starly for this year. Guess we'll see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)