Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
And here's the vid of finishing off the 200 Gastly Candies I picked up before my chain ended rudely.

For the record, it takes a chain of about 200 to get 200 Pokémon-specific candies.

Pikachu in Viridian Forest also doesn't drop candies (at least during the main game). Guess they don't want you to buff your starter to hell too early.

I'm liking all the nods to other games in the series, such as Blue giving you those Kalos cookies or Lt. Surge giving you the exact same kind of autograph the player character kept in USUM. Though it makes you wonder where exactly in the timeline could Let's Go be placed...

So far I was kinda underleveled for the Lt. Surge battle. I've got to be prepared since I'm using massive party rotations (currently it's Pidgeotto/Nidoking/Nidoqueen/Fearow/Ivysaur/Charmeleon/Psyduck/Wartortle/two Cubone -one will be traded for Alolan Marowak-/Onix/Rhyhorn, and it's meant to be larger), so this underleveling could become worse with time.

I'm liking all the nods to other games in the series, such as Blue giving you those Kalos cookies or Lt. Surge giving you the exact same kind of autograph the player character kept in USUM. Though it makes you wonder where exactly in the timeline could Let's Go be placed...
By the looks of it, it takes place in same time as RBY Kanto, but in a timeline where Oak took much longer to complete the Pokedex, and Red Blue and Green went their own ways without having it beforehand.

It just further emphatises how it's a most likely one-time spinoff, as it's impossible to connect it to either the mainseries of the remake, as there's too many inconsistencies (most notable being Blue not being either Champion nor Gym Leader, Giovanni still alive, etc)

I'm really liking how they revamped some of the gyms. Erika's was a nice upgrade and Blaine's is pretty hilarious.

Also...
-snip-
There's possibly the Eevee version of the diploma, could it be? Is this the first time they actually make more than one diploma in a set of paired game?
A small step up if yes.

Also, Idk if I want to laugh on the "3rd option" or his in the dance. We definitely need funny gyms like this in the future.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some quick thoughts on videos I've seen. Putting them in spoiler tags:

Sadly most of the Pokedex Descriptions are from Yellow version. However they did add new descriptions for Pikachu, Eevee, Gen I Mega Evolutions, and Alolan forms.

Apparently Eevee's genes are a key to solving the mystery of evolution.

Mega Charizard X's skin body is black because of its new intense heat.
Mega Blastoise's back cannon is as powerful as a tank's cannon.
Mega Pidgeot can fly two weeks without resting.
Mega Pinsir can lift an opponent ten times its weight and fly off with it.
Mega Aerodactyl's rock spikes are as hard as diamonds.
Mega Mewtwo X has a one ton grip strength and can sprint a hundred meters in two seconds.
Mega Mewtwo Y can destroy a skyscraper with a thought.

Alolan Rattata's whiskers are what gives it its excellent smelling.
Alolan Raichu evolves via a secret Alolan pancake recipe.
Alolan Sandshrew can slide as fast as a bullet.
Alolan Dugtrio's metallic properties differ between the triplets resulting in them having different kind of whiskers.
Alolan Graveler roll down mountain paths zapping anything in its way and nearby.
Alolan Marowak's flames is the spirit of its departed mother, every night it dances dances in mourning of others of its kind.

Mega Slowbro has an interesting description. All the Gen VII games mentioned how only the Shellder on its tail changed but not Slowpoke. However LGPE paints a different story:

Sun: All the energy from Mega Evolution poured into the Shellder on its tail, leaving Slowpoke to be swallowed whole.
Moon: When bathed in the energy of Mega Evolution, Shellder converts into impregnable armor. There is virtually no change in Slowpoke.
Ultra Sun: Tremendous energy strengthened the power of the Shellder on its tail, but it doesn't really affect Slowpoke.
Ultra Moon: Having been swallowed whole by Shellder, Slowbro now has an iron defense. It's pretty comfortable in there, too.
LGPE: Under the influence of Shellder's digestive fluids, Slowpoke has awakened, gaining a great deal of power–and a little motivation to boot.
Video of all the rideable Pokemon:
Flying Over Land: Charizard, Aerodactyl, Dragonite
Running/Floating: Persian, Arcanine, Machamp, Rapidash, Dodrio, Haunter, Onix, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Kangaskhan, Starmie, Tauros, Snorlax
Surfing: Gyarados, Lapras

Persian was a surprise, though it now makes that LGP exclusive trade make sense where in LGE you get an Arcanine instead.
Machamp was funny to see, instead of carrying you like in Alola instead you ride on its shoulder while it carries the Starter under its arm.
Nice to see they did include Dodrio, now you can recreate the Pokemon Racing episode with a friend. :)
GEEZ! Is that a normal Haunter or the Black Fog? Okay, yes, Haunter is 5 feet, though I thought that was length not height!
D'aw, when riding Kangaskhan your Starter rides in the pouch along with the baby!
Odd you ride Starmie on land instead of surfing.
Um, I don't think that's the safest way to ride a Snorlax; one small trip and you're a pulverized pancake.

Surprised omissions:
Flying:
Pidgeot, maybe also Fearow?
Running/Floating: Venusaur, Magneton, Exeggutor, Weezing
Surfing: Blastoise, Tentacruel, Dewgong, Cloyster, Seadra, Dragonair

So have the list of all the Gym Requirements and some of them are kind of strange:

Pewter Gym: Show a Grass- or Water-type Pokemon.

Alright, teaching you about Type advantage.

Cerulean Gym: Show a Level 15 Pokemon.

Once again, fine, making sure we're properly leveled even though from what I heard at the very least your Starter should be over Level 15.

Vermillion Gym: Beat the S.S. Anne.

Yup, they use the original roadblock as the "requirement" to challenge the Gym. The Gym Guide is standing on the other side of the cutable tree and once you cut it down you can challenge the Gym with no other disturbances. What was even the point?

Celadon Gym: Have a "cute" Pokemon.

Just have your Starter. I guess this is more to show off the "girliness" of the Gym as it's a Lass that asks to see a cute Pokemon and not the Gym Guide. Still, why bother?
BTW, the old man says the Gym is full of "strong trainers". BOO!

Fuchsia Gym: Catch 50 different species of Pokemon.

Might as well also be a freebie, but at least is a requirement that actually sounds like a task you might has skipped out on if you're just running through the game (though apparently catching Pokemon is the quickest way to level-up that battling trainers is kind of a waste of time *sigh*).

Saffron Gym: Show a Level 45 Pokemon.

Well, you may have a Pokemon at Level 45, but there's another problem with this requirement: Sabrina doesn't have a Pokemon over Level 45! Her highest level Pokemon is Alakazam at Level 44. So, the Gym Requirement is telling you to go in with an overlevelled Pokemon. Like, wow, now I'm sure if you play the game as intended you'll probably have a Pokemon at Level 45 anyway but to require it is the worst case of hand holding I've seen.

Cinnabar Gym: Get the Secret Key from the Pokemon Mansion.

Like with Vermillion Gym, they re-use the original roadblock.

Viridian Gym: Have all the other Badges.

And it ends on one last freebie.

... What were the point of these again? Only Pewter, Cerulean, and maybe Fuchsia served a useful purpose. But Vermillion and Cinnabar used the original roadblocks, Celadon and Viridian were freebies, and Saffron wants you to purposely be over leveled. These feels like a waste of time both on the player's part and on the developer's part, a poor programmer spent who know how many hours or days programming these.

I also refrained from talking about the "changes" to the Gyms, I'll leave that for everyone to see for themselves but I like what they did. :)

That said, the game if chock full of references and in-jokes, many which only veteran fans (both those who played the Gen I and II games and watched the first few seasons of the anime) would get. Had they marketed these games better I'd honestly say that would have been more of a selling point to older fans of either getting the game or pay some bit of attention to it.

Though one notable story change was that apparently Red and Blue already went on their Pokemon journey, they don't even have Pokedexes and had to doodle on maps to help Professor Oak with his research. So I guess that sort of explains why they aren't that much part of the story, though doesn't this mean Red and Blue aren't Champion Title Holders in the Let's Go continuity of games? And with Trace being the Champion in the end... why not just have Red & Green being the playable character and Blue the rival? Was Blue being a jerk really that much of an issue? *Sigh*

There's a theory going around that, since Let's Go are the games meant for the kiddies, that'll mean they can make Gen VIII actually more challenging. While there's plenty of arguments against that idea (particularly this is GameFreak we're talking about), I do hope there is also some merit to it.

There's possibly the Eevee version of the diploma, could it be? Is this the first time they actually make more than one diploma in a set of paired game?
A small step up if yes.
Actually Gen VII had a different "Diploma" (it was a Stamp) depending on version.

So have the list of all the Gym Requirements and some of them are kind of strange:

Pewter Gym: Show a Grass- or Water-type Pokemon.

Alright, teaching you about Type advantage.

Cerulean Gym: Show a Level 15 Pokemon.

Once again, fine, making sure we're properly leveled even though from what I heard at the very least your Starter should be over Level 15.

Vermillion Gym: Beat the S.S. Anne.

Yup, they use the original roadblock as the "requirement" to challenge the Gym. The Gym Guide is standing on the other side of the cutable tree and once you cut it down you can challenge the Gym with no other disturbances. What was even the point?

Celadon Gym: Have a "cute" Pokemon.

Just have your Starter. I guess this is more to show off the "girliness" of the Gym as it's a Lass that asks to see a cute Pokemon and not the Gym Guide. Still, why bother?
BTW, the old man says the Gym is full of "strong trainers". BOO!

Fuchsia Gym: Catch 50 different species of Pokemon.

Might as well also be a freebie, but at least is a requirement that actually sounds like a task you might has skipped out on if you're just running through the game (though apparently catching Pokemon is the quickest way to level-up that battling trainers is kind of a waste of time *sigh*).

Saffron Gym: Show a Level 45 Pokemon.

Well, you may have a Pokemon at Level 45, but there's another problem with this requirement: Sabrina doesn't have a Pokemon over Level 45! Her highest level Pokemon is Alakazam at Level 44. So, the Gym Requirement is telling you to go in with an overlevelled Pokemon. Like, wow, now I'm sure if you play the game as intended you'll probably have a Pokemon at Level 45 anyway but to require it is the worst case of hand holding I've seen.

Cinnabar Gym: Get the Secret Key from the Pokemon Mansion.

Like with Vermillion Gym, they re-use the original roadblock.

Viridian Gym: Have all the other Badges.

And it ends on one last freebie.

... What were the point of these again? Only Pewter, Cerulean, and maybe Fuchsia served a useful purpose. But Vermillion and Cinnabar used the original roadblocks, Celadon and Viridian were freebies, and Saffron wants you to purposely be over leveled. These feels like a waste of time both on the player's part and on the developer's part, a poor programmer spent who know how many hours or days programming these.

I also refrained from talking about the "changes" to the Gyms, I'll leave that for everyone to see for themselves but I like what they did. :)
What does having a cute pokemon for Celadon's city even mean? You can show your starter however I showed them an Arbok and I got through. Is there any pokemon she will say is not cute? If not then what is the point of it? Looking at how every gym has some kind of requirement I feel like they put it in just to give the gym a requirement and was vague about what cute meant so no one would see through the non-exsistance of the requirement(unless of course there is any pokemon you can't use).

Mega Slowbro has an interesting description. All the Gen VII games mentioned how only the Shellder on its tail changed but not Slowpoke. However LGPE paints a different story:
Being mega only effects Shellder but shellder effects slowbro?
though doesn't this mean Red and Blue aren't Champion Title Holders in the Let's Go continuity of games?
They only started having champions as part of the E4 with your rivial, so I assume R/B/G are champions but pretty much in name only

I don't get why people were complaining about a full game price. Obviously it was gonna be set there since it is a Pokemon game, even if it isn't a core series game. People needed to just get over it as we already knew the core games for Switch are coming out later next year just like we know Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out next year. Man I can't wait to play that one, or the let's go Pikachu eother for that matter, I personally like acting like you are catching them for real. (In game of course)

Not really...having nothing to show for this year is bad, especially for such a lucrative franchise and insatiable fanbase. You know how up in arms people were waiting for any announcement? I do.
Also, I'm not the one suggesting Game Freak only gave the 2019 announcement because they felt they dropped the ball. So take that "sheesh" someplace else.
Trust me the fans can get aggressive if the developers make them wait too long. I wouldn't be surprised if tons pf games have been rushed just to avoid this. Japan's version of Kingdom Hearts 3 probably was with all the bugs the game had.

I don't get why people were complaining about a full game price. Obviously it was gonna be set there since it is a Pokemon game, even if it isn't a core series game. People needed to just get over it as we already knew the core games for Switch are coming out later next year just like we know Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out next year. Man I can't wait to play that one, or the let's go Pikachu eother for that matter, I personally like acting like you are catching them for real. (In game of course)
It is a core series game jesus, months after the reveal and people still dont get that right

I'm liking the trainer flavor Gamblers have on these games. It can be quite of a shock the first time you come across one, with their overleveled Pokemon with OHKO moves... and nothing else, but they are gambling like a Gambler.

(Also, how do you get to ride on a Pokemon? I have Onix and Rhyhorn but I don't see an option anywhere)

I'm liking the trainer flavor Gamblers have on these games. It can be quite of a shock the first time you come across one, with their overleveled Pokemon with OHKO moves... and nothing else, but they are gambling like a Gambler.

(Also, how do you get to ride on a Pokemon? I have Onix and Rhyhorn but I don't see an option anywhere)
All I had to do to ride Starmie was to take it out of the Pokeball, try it

No, you still have to use the secret techniques (can only swim on surfboard with Eevee)
It’s not exclusively the starters that you can surf on, when I tried to take Gyarados out of its ball it said I can ride it on the water once I get the appropriate Secret Technique. It is independent from the HM moves, though, so not everything that could learn Surf can be ridden on the water.

It’s not exclusively the starters that you can surf on, when I tried to take Gyarados out of its ball it said I can ride it on the water once I get the appropriate Secret Technique. It is independent from the HM moves, though, so not everything that could learn Surf can be ridden on the water.
whoa

Trust me the fans can get aggressive if the developers make them wait too long. I wouldn't be surprised if tons pf games have been rushed just to avoid this. Japan's version of Kingdom Hearts 3 probably was with all the bugs the game had.

Oh no, most likely the same fans who buy anything with the logo on it are the same people who "get aggressive" oh no, they have to wait another year if they want a game of quality. Those poor souls.

And I think 60$ is absurd for these games. For some reason people confuse graphics to being equal to retail price. Indie titles look prettier for cheaper. These games just make you repeat the same song with nothing of relevance to do after. After about a week of catching and the easy "master" trainers everyone will hopefully see that.

You'd be surprising of how relaxing and adorable a casual play of Let's Go is. Sure they aren't a 300+ hour spent on game like actual Pokemon titles, and likely aren't worth 60 bucks either, but Let' Go is perfectly appropriate and I'd even say good quality for the intended audience.

Again, it's a great casual game to play to relax and/or with kids.
Anyone who expected competitive gameplay fooled themselves and rage over something that was never promised.

Also, albeith you need a self imposed challenge, opting out of starters and candies turns Let's Go in a surprisingly challenging game.
The level curve and special trainers / bosses are brutal.

You'd be surprising of how relaxing and adorable a casual play of Let's Go is. Sure they aren't a 300+ hour spent on game like actual Pokemon titles, and likely aren't worth 60 bucks either, but Let' Go is perfectly appropriate and I'd even say good quality for the intended audience.

Anyone who expected competitive gameplay fooled themselves and rage over something that was never promised.

Also, albeith you need a self imposed challenge, opting out of starters and candies turns Let's Go in a surprisingly challenging game.
All you need for challenge is to not grind on catching and not increase the affection
Although I have to admit that Eevee was quite bulky, I did feed him like 20 candies total

The level curve and special trainers / bosses are brutal.
At least it allows self-imposed challenge. I was under the impression it limited even that. Meta was never gonna really take off for it. Nothin wrong with people having fun with the game but theres problems that people who paid 60$ deny with saying they are "nitpicks" and any negative reviews have actually been taken down on Japanese amazon.

At least it allows self-imposed challenge. I was under the impression it limited even that. Meta was never gonna really take off for it. Nothin wrong with people having fun with the game but theres problems that people who paid 60$ deny with saying they are "nitpicks" and any negative reviews have actually been taken down on Japanese amazon.
The only "limit" to the self-imposed challenge are the requirement of Sabrina's Gym (as it requires you to have a level 45 pokemon in the team). Everything else is realistically not skippable anyway as you can't purposely avoid wild Pokemon due to the nerfed experience from trainers.
Even a Nuzlocke is perfectly possible to most degrees. (though skipping the Coach trainers would be a great idea, as they definitely are candied up and do pose a significant challenge if you're not candied up yourself)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)