Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

I kinda like the Gyms having entry requirements, it encourages people to actually catch more Pokémon and train a more diverse team. I know it will be super annoying for speed runners/people who prefer to blow through the game with a couple overleveled Pokemon, but I’m in favor of anything that adds value to actually catching more Pokes since in most of the games it’s felt pretty pointless to catch more than a handful and then just use Repels for the rest of the game if you’re not a completionist.

I kinda like the Gyms having entry requirements, it encourages people to actually catch more Pokémon and train a more diverse team. I know it will be super annoying for speed runners/people who prefer to blow through the game with a couple overleveled Pokemon, but I’m in favor of anything that adds value to actually catching more Pokes since in most of the games it’s felt pretty pointless to catch more than a handful and then just use Repels for the rest of the game if you’re not a completionist.
Thing is, "Forcing" to catch mons you'll just ignore anyway cause you'll STILL use the overleveled starter is no different from forcing you to carry 2 deadweight mons for 8 HMs: it adds nothing fun, just nuisance.

You don't solve the issue by putting an arbitrary roadblock, cause the mon captured will just be ignored and abandoned in most cases.

Hence the main reason for the hate of this mechanic: it doesn't add any depth AND IT'S NOT EVEN NEEDED (iirc it was shown in the demo that Pikachu and Eevee can still solo Brock without even needing the other mon)

If you want to encourage a diverse team, having NPCs with larger, more diverse teams and a greater punishment for overleveling would be a better way than to force you to meet arbitrary requirements, but then again that would imply making the game harder, which is anathema to GF.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TBH I sorta gave up hope of Gamefreak making any Pokemon tougher than Ultra Sun / Moon. I don't really mind since I play Pokemon for the multiplayer aspects anyways.. but I guess for me, my big hope for LGPE is that the online hub the 4chan leaker mentioned (the dude who leaked the entire game concept and titles) is something a bit beyond "well you can battle and trade". I know Battle Spot is out which is a bummer, but it'd be cool if there was something a bit more flashy besides random matchmaking!

If you want to encourage a diverse team, having NPCs with larger, more diverse teams and a greater punishment for overleveling would be a better way than to force you to meet arbitrary requirements, but then again that would imply making the game harder, which is anathema to GF.
They’ll never do that, the target audience for these games is always going to be younger casual players. But I could see myself picking up some random Water type to meet a gym requirement and ending up using it for a while just because I have it so I might as well. Just trying to see the silver lining.

So while were on the topic of mega evolution.... Well I doubt that it will return for similar reasons mentioned above, but if I had to advocate for them appearing, its because it was featured in Pokemon Origins. And if it did, I dunno. I want it for Swanna, Ledian, Delcatty, Mismagius, some of my favorite Pokemon. But if they do it, they'll give it to Dragonite or Infernape, Pokemon that don't need Mega Evolution. And Even if they did, those Pokemon would be just powercrept by some other Pokemon who didn't need it.

Let's look at Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem Heroes, two other games with Tier Lists. In Smash Bros, there will be updates to help improve a subpar character, like Mewtwo who rose from Bottom Tier to Top Tier, while nerfing Meta Knight from Brawl to Smash 4, who was considered the best character to the point that tournaments had the option to ban him. Does Pokemon ever lower stats or alter abilities of Pokemon like Zard Y, Mega Mence, or Mega Gross?

For Fire Emblem Heroes, there's an assist called Dance and Sing ( The latter can be used by my profile pic ) These skills are considered one of, if not the best skills in the game, since they allow an ally to move again if they've taken their turn. In fact, they are so powerful that even subpar units are top tier. Emphasis on "Subpar". The price for having such a powerful skill is that you have a lower BST, as well as getting a lower score in Arena. Conversely, Armor Units have the highest BST of any unit, but at a price: They can only move one space, reducing their player phase potential; you getter a higher arena score. Stats alone don't determine your standing and rating. Is there ever a penalty for scoring on rating battles or gaining championship points for VGC; BST cut for Mega Mence, Mega Gross, or Zard Y? Is there any drawback for using them?

I'm not saying these games are perfect, they are still some characters who have aged badly even with buffs. But they certainly pay more attention to balance than GF does to Pokemon does. The point: GF barely knows how to balance Pokemon, and the concept of Mega Evolution was not given as much thought as it should have, aside from fan favorites and money making. Proof: Junuchi Masuda admitted Mega Kang was made too strong. Even if we give Mega Evolutions to Swanna, Delcatty, Mismagius, and Ledian, they still can't compete with Top Tier ones due to having vastly inferior base stats. What's the point giving Mega Evolutions to pathetic Pokemon if there always going to be overshadowed by the ones with high stats. That's the biggest problem. And I think that's the number one reason why no more Megas have been introduced- They ended up dividing fandom bitterly-which is why Z-Moves became a thing: All Pokemon can use them, making them much more balanced

How do we fix it? 1. Different Stat increases per Pokemon. Instead of giving 100 to every Pokemon, it should be like if your base stat total is 680 or higher, you get a 20 Pt increase, 600 -670 gets 30 pt. increase, etc. 2. We can give a penalty for using higher BST Pokemon, whether it be a lower rating points on an online ladder or less Championship points for VGC. 3. As a last Resort, we can always remove Mega Evolution from the game if it becomes too icky and controversial. If Spiky-Eared Pichu, Totem Pokemon and Cosplay Pikachu were removed, so can Megas.

I wish for the 1st one. I want to win with Mega Swanna. But at not at the cost of being overshadowed by some other Mega who has less of an opportunity cost; and worst, causing a sea of salt and divides in the Pokemon Community. Since GF have tweaked stats the last two gens; and are doing it again for Eevee and Pikachu most likely. With Let's Go being simplified and more casual, this would be a perfect opportunity to balance it. ( Or at least, start balancing it, since all Megas aren't present. ) I know its probably not going to happen because GF is more concerned with the casual audience and making Megas for fandom, but balancing is the only way multiplayer players are going to be even on Megas as well as limiting a powercreep.

So while were on the topic of mega evolution.... Well I doubt that it will return for similar reasons mentioned above, but if I had to advocate for them appearing, its because it was featured in Pokemon Origins. And if it did, I dunno. I want it for Swanna, Ledian, Delcatty, Mismagius, some of my favorite Pokemon. But if they do it, they'll give it to Dragonite or Infernape, Pokemon that don't need Mega Evolution. And Even if they did, those Pokemon would be just powercrept by some other Pokemon who didn't need it.

Let's look at Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem Heroes, two other games with Tier Lists. In Smash Bros, there will be updates to help improve a subpar character, like Mewtwo who rose from Bottom Tier to Top Tier, while nerfing Meta Knight from Brawl to Smash 4, who was considered the best character to the point that tournaments had the option to ban him. Does Pokemon ever lower stats or alter abilities of Pokemon like Zard Y, Mega Mence, or Mega Gross?

For Fire Emblem Heroes, there's an assist called Dance and Sing ( The latter can be used by my profile pic ) These skills are considered one of, if not the best skills in the game, since they allow an ally to move again if they've taken their turn. In fact, they are so powerful that even subpar units are top tier. Emphasis on "Subpar". The price for having such a powerful skill is that you have a lower BST, as well as getting a lower score in Arena. Conversely, Armor Units have the highest BST of any unit, but at a price: They can only move one space, reducing their player phase potential; you getter a higher arena score. Stats alone don't determine your standing and rating. Is there ever a penalty for scoring on rating battles or gaining championship points for VGC; BST cut for Mega Mence, Mega Gross, or Zard Y? Is there any drawback for using them?

I'm not saying these games are perfect, they are still some characters who have aged badly even with buffs. But they certainly pay more attention to balance than GF does to Pokemon does. The point: GF barely knows how to balance Pokemon, and the concept of Mega Evolution was not given as much thought as it should have, aside from fan favorites and money making. Proof: Junuchi Masuda admitted Mega Kang was made too strong. Even if we give Mega Evolutions to Swanna, Delcatty, Mismagius, and Ledian, they still can't compete with Top Tier ones due to having vastly inferior base stats. What's the point giving Mega Evolutions to pathetic Pokemon if there always going to be overshadowed by the ones with high stats. That's the biggest problem. And I think that's the number one reason why no more Megas have been introduced- They ended up dividing fandom bitterly-which is why Z-Moves became a thing: All Pokemon can use them, making them much more balanced

How do we fix it? 1. Different Stat increases per Pokemon. Instead of giving 100 to every Pokemon, it should be like if your base stat total is 680 or higher, you get a 20 Pt increase, 600 -670 gets 30 pt. increase, etc. 2. We can give a penalty for using higher BST Pokemon, whether it be a lower rating points on an online ladder or less Championship points for VGC. 3. As a last Resort, we can always remove Mega Evolution from the game if it becomes too icky and controversial. If Spiky-Eared Pichu, Totem Pokemon and Cosplay Pikachu were removed, so can Megas.

I wish for the 1st one. I want to win with Mega Swanna. But at not at the cost of being overshadowed by some other Mega who has less of an opportunity cost; and worst, causing a sea of salt and divides in the Pokemon Community. Since GF have tweaked stats the last two gens; and are doing it again for Eevee and Pikachu most likely. With Let's Go being simplified and more casual, this would be a perfect opportunity to balance it. ( Or at least, start balancing it, since all Megas aren't present. ) I know its probably not going to happen because GF is more concerned with the casual audience and making Megas for fandom, but balancing is the only way multiplayer players are going to be even on Megas as well as limiting a powercreep.
Some pokemon are always going to be more powerful than others, regardless or not megas are a thing, a needed thing or a no thing. Remove Mega Salamence and Garchomp or Regularmence will take its place. Hell, remove all megas, people will still pick Gyarados over Swanna. Trying to apply Smash-style balance to a roster that's over 800 characters already is both impossible in practice and pointless, since it get updated with over a hundred additions each gen

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Some pokemon are always going to be more powerful than others, regardless or not megas are a thing, a needed thing or a no thing. Remove Mega Salamence and Garchomp or Regularmence will take its place. Hell, remove all megas, people will still pick Gyarados over Swanna. Trying to apply Smash-style balance to a roster that's over 800 characters already is both impossible in practice and pointless, since it get updated with over a hundred additions each gen
Additionally, a mega’s BST is in no way a 1 to 1 signifier of power. While higher stats definitely help, mega mawile and mega sableye (both OU) have lower BSTs than most fully evolved pokemon and Mega Diancie, who has 700 BST, is considered a subpar pick at the moment.

Never mind the fact that balance would be completely unrealistic.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(Don't want to be mini-modding, but is this the board to discuss problems with Mega Evolutions? This seems more like a discussion that should be happening on the "(Little) Things That Annoy You" thread. Anyway, here's my piece)

There are two things which make Mega Evolutions problematic:

1. Stat Boost. As discussed above, the 100+ BST increase just isn't enough for some Pokemon. Fully evolved Pokemon with low BSTs either have to rely on a gimmick (usually via an Ability) or min max their stats (Beedrill) to even look viable. Heck, and even that isn't enough sometimes. And combine that the more popular Pokemon having higher stats so, unless they nerf it somehow like a subpar Ability or decreasing a certain stat (Mega Garchomp), it'll just make them even better.
Now, a solution to this is difficult. Indeed, you can't treat each Pokemon equally, but I don't think giving Pokemon with higher BST less points is a solution either. I think instead of a flat amount they should use percentage increase. Much easier to give the Pokemon that need the stat boost the increase they need while it doesn't look unfair to Pokemon with higher BST if they get a smaller percentage increase. In addition they can maybe make things balanced held item wise, like not having an offense stat go above 30% (so it doesn't outshine Life Orb) unless it notable situations.

2. Only One. And probably the biggest problem with Mega Evolution: you can only have one. Because of that there's always going to be a select few Pokemon who are top choice, usually fast and hyper offense Pokemon (the defensive ones maybe seeing play in Doubles). Type and Ability may factor in, but there are just some Mega who are better than others and there's. And those top choices will change very little if more Megas are introduced, sure some of them will join as a top choice but just as many if not more will be outshined.
There's no real good solution here for this one unless you allow for multiple Mega Evolution but have a penalty (like the more you Mega Evolve the less stat increase they get until they're getting no stat increase, just what possible Type and Ability change is made).

I just hope that you don't have to catch a Diglett to fight Surge.

But yeah, actually adding the Megas is nice at least, considering we haven't seen any of them in any major form for at least 4 years (unless you count Giovanni's Mega Mewtwo from USUM). Though considering the handholding of these games, something like Zard's megas would just break the game even more.

Let’s not forget Spiky Eared Pichu and Totem Pokemon too.
The Totem Pokemon that existed in the original Sun and Moon can be put into Bank just fine(and even deposited into the original Sun and Moon as well), it is only the ones USUM introduced that are being blocked currently.

Not a lot of new details from the text but this Charizard Y part caught my attention:

一回り大きくなった翼で飛行能力が大幅にアップ!
Larger wings greatly increase its flying ability!

We know that we can fly on Charizard, but can we fly on Mega Charizard to idk, travel faster? Or just for aesthetic purposes?

Oh, and I like how Surge is dubbed the "Lightning Tough Guy".

Okay then, how are Mega Evolutions going to work,? We still find no hint at held items being a feature here.

There's going to be some food for thought until we see them in action - more likely in a Pokémon Direct.

The Totem Pokemon that existed in the original Sun and Moon can be put into Bank just fine(and even deposited into the original Sun and Moon as well), it is only the ones USUM introduced that are being blocked currently.
Oh. That explains I couldn’t deposit Totem Araquanid. I’m surprised Megas did return, and how there going to function in this game. I guess there put in because for the sake of kids love ‘ super powerful transformations. ‘ and Nostalgia. I wonder if Z-Moves will return.

I admit these games have grown on me, and I may play them, but after Smash Ultimate, Breath of the Wild, Odyssey and Splatoon 2.

Okay then, how are Mega Evolutions going to work,? We still find no hint at held items being a feature here.
It does say Pokemon can mega evolve when you have the Key Stone in conjunction with a Pokemon's mega stone. Guessing it's kind of implied that it's a held item? idk.

It does say Pokemon can mega evolve when you have the Key Stone in conjunction with a Pokemon's mega stone. Guessing it's kind of implied that it's a held item? idk.
Well if the game doesn't have held items, it could just require to have the mega circle (and in the case of Charizard or Mewtwo just let you choose which to use every time)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think there's a decent chance that the E3 demo was just a really early build without hold items implemented, or its a menu option you unlock later in the game. While you can argue that removing items would be in line with the norms this game is breaking, I think it's equally possible that items are tutoralized in some way. I can totally see the game locking a gym away from you until you force a Pokemon to hold an item for example!

Either way, wow Mega Evolutions totally changes the papermon I was crafting for a hypothetical Let's Go metagame. Guess we aren't looking at just Kanto Classic with alolan bonuses, we're looking at something totally new. I find that pretty exciting to be honest!

Now that we have Mega Evolution in Let's Go, this game seems better than I would've initially expected. I'm glad it's more than a simple "Kanto Classic" with the Alolan bonuses that Theorymon mentioned above.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Now that I have time to put down my thoughts:

Having megas present in the filler title could also imply they could be back in gen 8? Else why would you put them in a title meant to introduce people to Pokemon games?
That's what I'm wondering. If so, I'm also wondering if maybe they could even add new Mega Evos. Not too far-fetched now that we know there's going to be at least one new Pokemon (that special gift Pokemon), Alolan Forms (though I doubt we'll see any new Alolan forms, though what would be a neat twist if they had Kanto versions of Alolan Pokemon), and now Mega Evolutions returning. All Pokemon not in the original Gen I games. Though before going on, let's take a quick moment to look at the Gen I Pokemon that have Mega Evolutions (and their Types):

Venusaur (Grass/Poison), Charizard (Fire/Flying & Fire/Dragon), Blastoise (Water), Beedrill (Bug/Poison), Pidgeot (Normal/Flying), Alakazam (Psychic), Slowbro (Water/Psychic), Gengar (Ghost/Poison), Kangaskhan (Normal), Pinsir (Bug/Flying), Gyarados (Water/Dark), Aerodactyl (Rock/Flying), & Mewtwo (Psychic & Psychic/Fighting)

We're missing a Ground-, Steel-, Electric-, Ice-, and Fairy-type.

Now here's the final stage Gen I Pokemon who don't have a Mega Evolution (whose final stage wasn't introduce in another gen, sorry Magnezone): Butterfree, Raticate, Fearow, Arbok, Raichu, Sandslash, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Clefable, Ninetales, Wigglytuff, Vileplume, Parasect, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Persian, Golduck, Primeape, Arcanine, Poliwrath, Machamp, Victreebel, Tentacruel, Golem, Rapidash, Farfetch'd, Dodrio, Dewgong, Muk, Cloyster, Hypno, Kingler, Electrode, Exeggutor, Marowak, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Weezing, Seaking, Starmie, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Tauros, Lapras, Ditto, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Omastar, Kabutops, Snorlax, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Dragonite, & Mew.

First, if they were to introduce new Mega Evolutions, priority will go to filling the missing Type gaps:

Ground: Sandslash*, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Dugtrio*, Golem*, Marowak*
Electric: Raichu*, Electrode, Jolteon, Zapdos
Ice: Dewgong, Cloyster, Jynx, Lapras, Articuno
Fairy: Clefable, Wigglytuff, Mr. Mime

As you noticed, we're missing one Type because, due to them seemingly not wanting future gen Pokemon in the game (yet is allowing a completely new Pokemon, Alolan forms, and Mega Evos...) we have a problem. Actually, as you can tell by the asterisks, we have a few complications:

Steel-type: There's no "Kanto" candidate for Steel-type. Now, one solution is maybe having a Pokemon gain the Steel-type upon Mega Evolving, though which one? Looking at the list I'm not seeing that many likely candidates. There's Cloyster though I think it would like to keep its Ice-typing for a Mega Evo that'll have Skill Link so it can get STAB Icicle Spear. Electrode could be another choice, knocking down two missing Types with one Mega Evolution by having an Electric/Steel-type. Only other one I see is maybe Snorlax, make it bulkier and heavier for a strong STAB Heavy Slam and referencing it's immunity to poisons in its dex entry (yes, it has Immunity for that, though if its part Steel-type it can get another Ability). Of course there's another problem with Snorlax getting a Mega and that it has a Signature Z-Move and GF seemed to have been careful not to give a Pokemon with a Mega Evo a signature Z-Move... and Alolan Form. And that's where both solution #2 and complication #2 combine:

Alolan Forms: As you can tell from the Ground-types, some of the candidates for Mega Evolution have an Alolan Form. So here's a question: if they give a Pokemon with an Alolan Form a Mega Evo what happens? Would both become the same Mega Evo even if it doesn't match one of them? Would the Mega be a combination of the two (not likely in my opinion due to how open the concept of regional variants is)? Or would they make two separate forms of Mega Evo? I think the latter would be the easiest and one open for more possibilities. Because if they do that then we not only get candidates for Steel-type (Sandslash & Dugtrio) but also for Electric (Golem), Ice (Sandslash, Ninetales), and Fairy (Ninetales). Heck, with just Sandslash alone that'll cover three of the missing Types. But if they don't want to do that, and they decide to just make Cloyster/Electrode/Snorlax/whoever into a part Steel-type, even though there's potential candidates for Electric, Ice, and Fairy for Ground that just leaves Nidoqueen and Nidoking and it doesn't seem fair to give one a Mega Evo over the other (though I guess they could give another Pokemon part Ground-type; Arbok? Dodrio?).

Speaking of fairness, that's another issue to consider. Beedrill/Pidgeot/Alakazam gets a Mega but Butterfree/Fearow/Machamp don't? It's kind of unfair that Jynx has been left behind by Electabuzz and Magmar in the evo department, shouldn't it get some limelight (though it'll then fall back behind if those two's evos ever get Megas). Seems odd Mewtwo, a clone, gets Mega but the original, Mew, doesn't (though it has a signature Z-Move putting it on the same boat as Snorlax). And poor normal Raichu, can we just throw it a bone or something (even if it also means Alolan Raichu gets a Mega, maybe make Kantonian Raichu an Electric/Fighting or Electric/Steel or something to help it stand out more)? And that's not factoring in popular Pokemon (Arcanine & Dragonite come to mind) and Pokemon who could really benefit from a Mega (too many to list so I'll just joke a say Farfetch'd :P).

So much to consider... IF they're going to make more Megas for LGPE. If not, maybe because of all this complication, then this is a mute point though if they ever want to make new Mega the question concerning Regional Variants would still be there (and whether they want to give Mega to Pokemon who also go Signature Z-Moves).

I just hope that you don't have to catch a Diglett to fight Surge.

But yeah, actually adding the Megas is nice at least, considering we haven't seen any of them in any major form for at least 4 years (unless you count Giovanni's Mega Mewtwo from USUM). Though considering the handholding of these games, something like Zard's megas would just break the game even more.
There's also Geodude and Sandshrew. Diglett also isn't too hard to get.

And yeah, don't think difficulty balance is really that much of an issue with GF here. *Sigh* But hey, maybe they can give Gym Leaders/Elite Four some Mega? Hmm, thinking about it, at the very least the Champion should have a Mega though that brings up the question who will be the Champion? If Trace it would have to be another Pokemon other than his Starter, though Red and Blue they could do something interesting with.

Oh, and I like how Surge is dubbed the "Lightning Tough Guy".
Possible title change? Originally he was called "The Lightning American"... except there's no America in the Pokemon World. We have Unova that's New York (and parts of New Jersey) and Alola that's Hawaii. In B2W2 they jokes about that by having someone in the Pokemon World Tournament question is Surge is from Unova. So it makes sense that they may have decided to change his title to get rid of real world reference. That said, wouldn't "Lightning Soldier" make for a better title than "Lightning Tough Guy"?

There's going to be some food for thought until we see them in action - more likely in a Pokémon Direct.
Well since we just got a Smash Direct (Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, & King K Rool HYPE!), wouldn't be surprised if it's now Pokemon's turn for a Direct (and in addition to LGPE news give us some actual info about the Gen 8 games...).

I wonder if Z-Moves will return.
If Megas are back I wouldn't be surprised. Another way to over prepare kids for their Gym Leader battle: hide the Z-Crystal of a Type with an advantage nearby... which would probably explain why they want to make sure you have a Pokemon that's super effective.

Not to mention to also get Pikachu's and Eevee's Signature Z-Move (I wonder if they'll change the animation for Eevee's where it's only Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon; or they hide the other five in silhouette). Though what would they do concerning the Pikashunium Z?

Actually, I suppose it would be fair to wonder that, just like I asked with Mega Evos, would they make new exclusive Z-Crystals? Plenty of Gen I Pokemon to do something unique with. Normal Raichu (if they don't give it a Mega at least toss it its own Z-Move), Meowth, Machamp, Farfetch'd, Electrode, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Tauros, Ditto, Winged Mirages, etc..

I think there's a decent chance that the E3 demo was just a really early build without hold items implemented, or its a menu option you unlock later in the game. While you can argue that removing items would be in line with the norms this game is breaking, I think it's equally possible that items are tutoralized in some way. I can totally see the game locking a gym away from you until you force a Pokemon to hold an item for example!
I would like this to be the case. E3 Demo just wanted to focus on the core gameplay, no reason to take out Hold Items and Abilities yet also include all these other things that weren't in the original games. The ONLY reason they wouldn't have Held Items or Abilities is because they wanted to make the transfer between LGPE and GO more simpler... but having Megas now completely throw that idea out the window. If there is no Held Items, only way I can see around this is that during battle you go into Items and use the Mega Stone on the Pokemon like you would a Potion/Ether/X Battle item. Though if they do that it's less likely they'll have Z-Moves unless you do the same thing and it'll ask which move you want to turn into the Z-Move and then execute the Z-Move.

But if that's the case this would also mean Abilities not being in which would REALLY effect the Mega Evos, some relying on their Abilities to give them an extra oomph whether in power or tactics.

BTW, does this hint Megas for GO?

We're missing a Ground-, Steel-, Electric-, Ice-, and Fairy-type.
Regarding your post, there was also some more news regarding megas in LGPE recently. Gamefreak apparently (news came from a fairly reliable source) re-filed trademarks for a number of pokemon, the same thing they did in Gen VI when introducing megas. To me and others, this strongly suggests new megas.

List of pokemon with trademarks re-filed: Golem, Machamp, Raichu, Jynx, Starmie, the Hitmons, Arbok, Weezing, Persian, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, and Dragonite

Ground: Golem. This is the only ground type pokemon in the list, but to me it seems a little unlikely because of it's existing Alolan Forme.

Electric: Jolteon and Raichu. Raichu is likely to get one IMO because of Gamefreak's Pikachu love, and I personally think it's even more plausible because of the revealing of the scrapped Raichu design (Gorochu.) This said, if Raichu, or anything on the list gets one, all the others likely will as well.

Ice: Jynx.

Fairy: No pokemon on the list have the Fairy typing.

If this information turns out to be true, then 3/5 of those types will have megas in LGPE. The other ones are all just fan favourites with the exception of Jynx. (I don't really know if people like Jynx, Persian, Koffing, and Weezing.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)