Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Codraroll

1st Official Trailer
2nd Official Trailer
Secret of the Makuhita Dojo

What is this game?

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX is a remake of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team for the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS respectively. This game is being released for the Nintendo Switch worldwide on the 6th of March, 2020. The game is an RPG that has roguelike elements. The main bulk of the game occurs in Mystery Dungeons, dungeons where the floors are randomised. The game is being developed by Spike Chunsoft, the same development team who developed all the previous Mystery Dungeon games (Rescue Team, Explorers, Gates to Infinity, Super Mystery Dungeon).

What makes this game different from the originals?

Among what little we know:
-Added Pokémon to the Game: All evolutions and pre-evolutions of Pokémon Gen III and earlier that debuted in Gen IV and later, and Lucario
-Mega Evolution is now in the game
-An array of new items such as Dojo Tickets and new Orb items
-The Makuhita Dojo has been reworked to make use of the aforementioned Dojo Tickets and operates differently compared to the original
-General QoL updates and balances that were introduced in later installments, particularly Super Mystery Dungeon
-Friend Areas appear to be replaced by Rescue Camps, which appear to be Friend Areas with a different coat of paint?
-Anything else I've missed

Demo

The demo for this game is out now on the Nintendo Switch eShop and takes up roughly 2.1 GB of Download Space. The Demo covers from the start of the game up until just before the start of the third dungeon of the game: Mt. Steel, allowing you to complete the first two dungeons of the game and a few Rescue Missions.

What is this thread for?

This thread is for pretty much anything related to the game. You can discuss anything pertaining to the game, but make sure to follow the forum rules. You can also discuss your demo impressions, the trailer, the art-style, any new updates, comparisons to the original, your experience of the game once it inevitably comes out, anything really. REMEMBER TO MARK SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE ORIGINAL VERSION.

I (or a moderator) will update this post with new trailers/content as they turn up. I will also probably make this OP a little better sometime soon. Happy Posting.

Last edited:
There isn't much to say about the demo, but I'd like to bring up something about the automated features of the game.

While they are good for when you simply can't bother to do something, they seem TOO smart for my liking.

Pressing A will give you the best possible move you can use, depending on both range and effectiveness. Outside of some better-thought strategies, why bother about thinking which move to use?

On the other hand, Auto Mode, when set to Exploration, is omniscient. It knows when there are no more items in the floor even though the player hasn't fully explored it (you can notice that if it decides to go towards the stairs - it will only do so if there's absolutely nothing else of interest in the floor). It's... awkward, to say the least.

PD: I also noticed that the last question now asks you whether you WANT TO PLAY as boy or girl. Look at that attempt at being inclusive.

Last edited:
On the other hand, Auto Mode, when set to Exploration, is omniscient. It knows when there are no more items in the floor even though it hasn't fully explored it (you can notice that if it suddenly goes towards the stairs). It's... awkward, to say the least.
To be fair, whether you have all the items on the floor is knowable, since all items appear on the map. What would be awkward is if the AI knew the location of the stairs without getting to the room with them (I haven't attempted this).

As for the auto-attack, I imagine it's going to be less useful later-game, when there are longer dungeons and lower PP moves i.e. when you don't want it burning PP on a ranged or spread move when a single-target melee attack works fine.

On an unrelated note, the demo ends almost at the exact point before you can start recruiting. Considering there's still space for Wigglytuff in the square, friend areas are most likely still here. Considering you could see how many mons in that area you were missing, and
the first guaranteed recruit has an evolution from gen 4,
the demo ends up just barely not answering whether the roster is extended beyond Lucario. I have no idea whether this is likely.

They're actually not. The speedrun discord is talking about this right now - one of the guys got a male Skitty. It looks like some natures (all?) can give multiple results.

They're actually not. The speedrun discord is talking about this right now - one of the guys got a male Skitty. It looks like some natures (all?) can give multiple results.
None of the Pokémon are gender-locked... but the ones the questionnaire gives you are. The game won't give you a Skitty if you choose to play as boy, but you can still pick it yourself afterwards.

None of the Pokémon are gender-locked... but the ones the questionnaire gives you are. The game won't give you a Skitty if you choose to play as boy, but you can still pick it yourself afterwards.
In regards to this, every single starter can be obtained as both male and female from the quiz. However, since there are 16 starters and only 13 natures, some natures can give two results, as is seen in this doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ci8zLstNYfg1F-ZbBkz9d0NXOisZ0nvtiB2iEFNx8ag/edit?usp=sharing

However, here's a list of the natures/genders that produce multiple results for easier access:

-Male Hasty: Eevee or Torchic
-Male Quirky: Chikorita and Meowth
-Male Naive: Skitty and Totodile

-Female Lonely: Meowth and Psyduck
-Female Brave: Machop and Bulbasaur
-Female Timid: Cyndaquil and Mudkip

Each of those pairings contains a Pokémon that had that exact nature in that exact gender in BRT and RRT, along with a Pokémon that was previously only available as the opposite gender from their pairing (so, for example, Female Timid includes Cyndaquil, which was previously only male). Therefore, with these adjustments, all 16 starters can be obtained in both genders.

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really impatient for this game. I loved the red and blue versions so much, I think they were the best spin-off ever.

My only hesitation is on the Rare Quality part. In Red and Blue, we had a simple system: the more you raise it, the more abilities you get. In the following games (Darkness/Time/Sky), the system of IQ groups made it worse overall, but was still a decent system*. Then in Super Mystery Dungeon, the Emeras was basically a big middle finger to the IQ system, exchanging the "preparing before exploring" part for a "lol good luck".

Since IQ was a big part of what I enjoyed, I really hope they came back to a simple system of simply getting the Rare Qualities and using it to progress in the dungeons.

*While the idea of having more abilities and that not every Pokémon can get every ability was cool, I felt like it was limiting your options a lot. Since raising IQ is so much ressources consuming, picking the right IQ groups for your team is mandatory.
First you take the starters, that's already two groups you can't take your other Pokémon from.
Then since the starters are not in the best IQ groups, you'll need the two other members from those.
All in all, it made the choice of an optimal team really limited.

So I was curious, and wanted to see if the floor layout RNG was changed from the originals (it used to be that you would get a set layout if you quicksaved and reset). Starting another file of the demo, I saved and exited, then closed the software, right before the stairs on Thunderwave Cave Floor 1 on both days 3 and 4 (I avoided doing this earlier since the layout seems more rigid on days 1/2 to work in the tutorial). I was unable to do this on the same day on this file due to an autosave occurring by the time I mapped out the floor.

The B2Fs were completely different, implying that this method of manipulating the RNG no longer appears to work. It's understandable, since this is no longer designed for a system that lacks a good inbuilt RNG, but grinding may have gotten noticeably worse if intended QoL changes don't make up for it.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trying to figure out what team I would like to play, I looked through the whole glossary and made an interesting conclusion: I am convinced that move tutors will be in the game.

For the demonstration, I will talk about the "expected Pokédex", which include Gen 1-3 + Riolu + Evolutions (minus Gen 8, minus Alolan Forms). I also strongly believe that it will be the final Pokédex since terms like "Slow Start" or "Power of Alchemy" are out of the glossary.

So three moves in the glossary drew my attention: Liquidation, Throat Chop and Electroweb. They all have in common: non-TM moves in the glossary, no one in the expected Pokédex learns them by level up, but they are still in the game. They are all three tutors in USUM. If we take the known ways of learning moves, that leaves two possibilities: said tutors or Egg Moves à la Time/Darkness/Sky (respectively for Corsola, Sneasel and Spinarak, that's all).

I looked for another move that would be Egg Move only in the expected Pokédex while not being a tutor at all, to see if it is present or not in the glossary. That would certainly rule in the favour of either possibility. Well, Lunge is a candidate being an Egg Move to Spinarak, Surskit and Volbeat in Gen 7. Lunge is not in the glossary, so having move tutors back is the most likely option.

I say "most likely" since we can never know, maybe there are incomplete egg moves, maybe there is a whole new way of teaching moves... But even if I am wrong, it's still exciting to know that we will not be limited to level up moves and TM.

Sorry for the minor sidetrack, but which discord is talking about speedrunning DX? I think I'm looking in the wrong place.

I have to say while this game has more charm and seems to have more thought and care put into it than SwiSh (not like that's hard), the regressions are making me wary. Playing the demo, auto mode is dumb and busted and shouldn't exist, the Dojo is busted and makes it far too easy to train levels/moves, the floor wide ESP is super dumb and shouldn't exist, the repurposed A attack is pretty dumb, it's too easy, etc. Also, while the game has Super mechanics, which is good, the game lacks the difficulty which made those mechanics work.

My wariness doesn't end with the demo though. From the trailers, the floor wide ESP is present in every story dungeon (and unlike other mechanics you'd say,"don't use them if you don't want to", I can't turn off the ESP....), which makes me go "why"? And now I hear about this "buy camps/Friend Areas in dungeons".....why bother preparing at all? All in all, with how much this "game" plays itself, it's less a game and more an autopiloted experience (at least for the main game).

I was hesitantly kind of looking forward to this remake when I heard about it, but every step backwards I hear it make has me even more wary. They had some good gameplay, balance, and difficulty (for PMD) in Super....while I didn't expect them to carry forward every element of Super (and they shouldn't have. Examples include the recruitment system, team members (semi-)randomly being unavailable, etc.), they really shouldn't have thrown out all of what worked....This will be one title I'll be holding off on getting and waiting one reviews for and the like, if I even get it at all. I wanted to look forward to this to some degree as everything else the Pokemon franchise is doing is garbage, but I guess not...

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
What is ESP? If you're referring to seeing enemies and items on the map, I'm confident to say that it won't stay for long, since X-Ray Glasses (or whatever it is called in English) are in the game.

I think that your comparison with Super is unfair, since what made Super more difficult is: the harsher belly system (which will be present here) and the fact that any Pokémon from the fourth dungeon can murder you without even trying (which we have no clue if present or not).

About auto mode, it is just a new QoL. If you are underprepared for the dungeon, using auto will bring you in uncomfortable positions. If you're not, it will allow you to farm and get those remaining items faster. The A Attack will save me some buttons, since I do know which move is the best anyway. Except when I need to manage PPs, because I don't need to Hydro Pump an enemy in front of me when Tackle kills.

I won't comment at your complain on the Wigglytuff orb since I don't understand how would it be a reason to complain.

As a final note, I do agree that the dojo is busted. But as you suggested it yourself, don't abuse it and the game will be fine.

I wasn't aware Super was considered difficult. I didn't sleep through it or anything but anecdotely i had way easier a time with it then Rescue Team and Explorers (I have still never beaten this game because Dialga is an ass)

I wasn't aware Super was considered difficult. I didn't sleep through it or anything but anecdotely i had way easier a time with it then Rescue Team and Explorers (I have still never beaten this game because Dialga is an ass)
Super is certainly the harder of the three, especially with the side-content.

Although most of the difficulty comes from the fact it plays more like a typical Roguelike than other games in the series. The Level 50 Salamence boss you get extremely early into the game is a good example of that (I prefer to call him "the Blast Seed tutorial").

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)