Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

I noticed that there is a somewhat noticable lag, when I check the maxed out Pokémons' stats on PC. If I have the maxed out Pokémon in my party and I check their stats, there isn't any lag when I check their stats. I wonder why this happens? Can the game actually tell that the maxed out Pokémon are hacked, glitched or something like that?
I didn't actually notice that until you gave me the tip. Yeah, I think Zowayix's explanation is correct. When I tried to check the stats of my trained and non-glitched lvl 96 Blastoise, there is also a noticeable lag. Although the lag is a bit shorter than the glitched ones, it's longer than the non-trained ones. So I think the higher the stat exp, the longer the lag.

Can the game actually tell that the maxed out Pokémon are hacked, glitched or something like that?
I don't have the right to answer the question, but I think Gen 1 and Gen 2 games have no way to detect whether the Pokemon is hacked or not (except for the obvious HP DVs). The Pokememory image above seems to tell the same. The later generations obviously have some sort of pattern / algorithm in generating Pokemon data (thus, the birth of RNG manipulation), so hack check sites like Pokecheck are able to detect hacks very accurately.

I would be surprised if Generation I games had a way to detect hacking. For starters, the amount of code for each Pokémon leaves only so much room for potential evidence. Also, this was back in Generation I. Making a balanced game was the last thing on Game Freak's mind, battles were simply meant to be local affairs (major tournaments where hacking could be a problem wasn't even a concept when Red and Green was made), and the games were very simple. A hack detection feature just seems highly unlikely.
And even if there was one, I doubt it would be very good.

So I think the higher the stat exp, the longer the lag.
This seems very plausible - StatExp in Gen I-II affects stats using a square root function, which I'm almost certain (using the primitive Game Boy subroutine) takes significantly longer the bigger the input is. Has anyone experienced, say, an equally long lag between max DV and random DV Pokemon that both have max StatExp, and an equally short lag between max DV and random DV Pokemon that both have no StatExp?

(except for the obvious HP DVs)
It's not even possible to hack the HP DV to something other than what the formula prescribes; the game literally only stores four DVs and the HP DV is calculated on the fly using them every time. It would be as impossible as trying to hack a number that is both greater than 5 and less than 4.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think all this talk of how Bank might handle passing Pokemon from RBY to SuMo is getting a bit ahead of ourselves. At the moment, we know nothing beyond that there will be some sort of transfer method via Bank. Everything else is guesswork, and the value of putting in the time to glitch up / soft reset a Pokemon in RBY for future competitive play in SuMo is heavily dependent on the actual system chosen. We can make all the educated guesses we want, but in the end, we're just going to go around in circles until the actual transfer system is revealed. This is one reason why we tend to frown on overly speculative discussions.

With respect to time management, if you want to put in the effort to glitch up perfect Pokemon in RBY because you want to use them in the RBY environment or enjoy testing the limits of the game, excellent. Enjoy! If you're putting in the time to do this purely to get a near perfect Zapdos or Fissure No Guard Machamp or what have you into SuMo, stop and wait, as you risk wasting a bunch of effort for nothing until we're sure of how things actually work.

Personally I'm just banking on the worst case scenario and assuming that EVs will be stripped, Nature will be random, and IVs will remain unchanged. (Yes, this means I'm pessimistic enough to guess that IVs will be stuck at max 15.) Saves me from bothering to spend time optimizing stuff until the actual transfer mechanics are revealed.

I'm having so much fun just playing around in this game. I don't know what it is. I'm guessing it has to do with whole nostalgic feeling. Being 22 years old and facing a lot of responsibilities, I very often think back about the careless days of Pokémon, and how deeply I could throw my mind into those games.

This has been said too many times, but man I wish I was a kid again.

I personally am using the w sm item in Yellow to max out DV's just for the fun of it. It really is ridicilously easy and satisfying to use it and some Pokémon like Tauros, Kangaskhan and Chansey would be nearly impossible to get with good DV's, as simply catching one can take hours. Anyway, if the DV's won't carry over to Bank, that's fine. Then I will simply not transfer Pokémon from Yellow and I will have the perfect DV Pokémon to mess around in it.

I personally believe that the Pokémon transferred will have completely random IV's and nature and EV's will be reset when you transfer them to Bank. The abilities will be Hidden Abilities (if the Pokémon has HA as an option). The most logical way to transfer IV's would be to just double the DV's, since there are 16 different values for them and for IV's there are 32 different values, and a 15 DV stat basically equals a 31 IV stat.

I have a question to jelome1989 (or anyone else who knows the answer) about w sm. Is it possible to remove it? I tried to store it on PC, but it glitches the PC pretty heavily; I am unable to move any items below it, as the cursor stops moving after it reaches w sm. Also, when I try to withdraw w sm from PC, it simply glitches and shuts the PC down and I'm unable to withdraw it. Luckily I didn't save after doing that, so I'm fine.

That never happened to me. Moving / storing WS M does not have any side effects if I'm not mistaken. Well, at least in my case.
Do you have any item stack in your inventory with x255 items? If so, then I think you're unknowingly doing the item stack duplication glitch. I suggest you look it up with GlitchCity.
Else, I'm drawing a blank.

EDIT: And oh by the way, yeah there is a way to remove WS M - with the item stack duplication glitch. :P

That never happened to me. Moving / storing WS M does not have any side effects if I'm not mistaken. Well, at least in my case.
Do you have any item stack in your inventory with x255 items? If so, then I think you're unknowingly doing the item stack duplication glitch. I suggest you look it up with GlitchCity.
Else, I'm drawing a blank.

EDIT: And oh by the way, yeah there is a way to remove WS M - with the item stack duplication glitch. :P
Thanks again, I was doing exactly what you were saying. :) I had x255 Lemonades and I stored them on PC as well, which caused there to be an apparently infinite stack of x255 Lemonades and a glitchy PC. I was also unable to retrieve the Lemonades and W SM, but like I said earlier, luckily I hadn't saved and everything is back to normal now. I tried depositing and withdrawing W SM and it works like a charm.

So W SM is completely safe to be kept on PC when not using it? I find it to be somewhat dangerous in the bag, as if I'm not mistaken, it can and will wipe out the entire save permanently when used with the wrong set-up? (Items in bag and wrong active PC box.) Also, is it safe to store non-x255 items to your PC? I would find it convenient to keep the x201 Revives, x43 Burn Heals, x53 Ice Heals for the item duping trick and x134 X Accuracys, x209 Carbos', x119 Poké Balls, x201, Fresh Waters and a single Lemonade for the max DV/EV trick.

if I'm not mistaken, it can and will wipe out the entire save permanently when used with the wrong set-up?
Yes. After all, it's something physically possible for the console hardware to do, which is what arbitrary code execution enables access to.

I wrote this part of the Bulbapedia arbitrary code execution article, so quoting from it:
Zowayix said:
Performing an arbitrary code execution glitch (i.e. using a particular glitch item, etc.) without any setup beforehand can be highly dangerous, as the program counter will jump to RAM and then begin to execute potentially numerous lines of completely unpredictable code (depending on whatever changing values happen to be there in RAM at the time) before a stop command happens to be reached. Such lines of garbage code may happen to include, for example, code whose effect is to fail the save file's verification check, destroying it.

Thanks again, I was doing exactly what you were saying. :) I had x255 Lemonades and I stored them on PC as well, which caused there to be an apparently infinite stack of x255 Lemonades and a glitchy PC. I was also unable to retrieve the Lemonades and W SM, but like I said earlier, luckily I hadn't saved and everything is back to normal now. I tried depositing and withdrawing W SM and it works like a charm.

So W SM is completely safe to be kept on PC when not using it? I find it to be somewhat dangerous in the bag, as if I'm not mistaken, it can and will wipe out the entire save permanently when used with the wrong set-up? (Items in bag and wrong active PC box.) Also, is it safe to store non-x255 items to your PC? I would find it convenient to keep the x201 Revives, x43 Burn Heals, x53 Ice Heals for the item duping trick and x134 X Accuracys, x209 Carbos', x119 Poké Balls, x201, Fresh Waters and a single Lemonade for the max DV/EV trick.
Yes, WS M is harmless if you're not using it. Quite the opposite if you do use it. I haven't tried storing item stacks with more than x99 items on the box, but I think it will split the item stack into two, so it won't work. I could be wrong though. (too lazy to try it out myself :P)

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I honestly would be very surprised if they do not eventually release G/S/C for the Virtual Console. Besides the fact that it would be an easy cash grab, the DV/Stat Exp system is the exact same on GSC as it is on RBY, so SuMo compatibility via Pokemon Bank shouldn't be a problem at all since it's confirmed for RBY. Even if it's purely a gimmick, I don't think Game Freak would lightly pass up the opportunity of, for the first time since Gen II, having Pokemon from all generations of origin being transferable and usable in the current generation games.

Besides that, physical carts of GSC that haven't been tampered/dismantled are virtually non-existent now, due to the notoriously short life of the internal batteries; people were having issues with dead internal batteries with GSC since around 2006.

I honestly would be very surprised if they do not eventually release G/S/C for the Virtual Console. Besides the fact that it would be an easy cash grab, the DV/Stat Exp system is the exact same on GSC as it is on RBY, so SuMo compatibility via Pokemon Bank shouldn't be a problem at all since it's confirmed for RBY. Even if it's purely a gimmick, I don't think Game Freak would lightly pass up the opportunity of, for the first time since Gen II, having Pokemon from all generations of origin being transferable and usable in the current generation games.

Besides that, physical carts of GSC that haven't been tampered/dismantled are virtually non-existent now, due to the notoriously short life of the internal batteries; people were having issues with dead internal batteries with GSC since around 2006.
There are some things against it, though:
1) HeartGold and SoulSilver are only 6 years old instead of FireRed and LeafGreen's 11.
2) HeartGold and SoulSilver can still be played on the current system and don't require an older system to transfer forward.
Still, it wouldn't surprise me either.

Just to be sure I understand the Mew glitch using a special stat of 255+, a special stat of 258 will give Kangaskhan, correct?

Nevermind. Just tested and confirmed this is true.

Last edited:
I'm considering buying Blue! Anyone know if it's worth the $10? Is it good?
It's fun; pretty primitive considering it's limitations and the fact it was the first time anything like that had been done. I'm annoyed that that is the price, but if you can afford it and wanna see Pokémon's roots, go ahead. Just don't expect anything amazing compared to what the games these days can do.

I'm considering buying Blue! Anyone know if it's worth the $10? Is it good?
Yeah! Assuming you didn't get red or yellow already. I never actually played all the way through gen 1 when it came out, and when I tried later I was stopped by the internal battery, but playing through it all on the 3DS was great. I know some people have a hard time transitioning backwards from the new generations, but I think it holds up nicely. If you have $10 sitting around, I would definitely get it!

Next weekend I plan to new game Yellow to experience that Gengar and Mew glitch, that said I'm also aware of people wanting to transfer any machamp they have with fissure to take advantage of no guard which I get. However I'm curious, does anyone else know of any other glitch mons or pokemon such as Machamp that I should obtain when I new game?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Next weekend I plan to new game Yellow to experience that Gengar and Mew glitch, that said I'm also aware of people wanting to transfer any machamp they have with fissure to take advantage of no guard which I get. However I'm curious, does anyone else know of any other glitch mons or pokemon such as Machamp that I should obtain when I new game?
Not really. You can get everything else you want. Fissure Champ is probably the only competitively viable set up, and we don't even know how the migration will work yet... It might just remove the moves or something. You don't even need a Mew tbh with the amount of events they are doing.

Not really. You can get everything else you want. Fissure Champ is probably the only competitively viable set up, and we don't even know how the migration will work yet... It might just remove the moves or something. You don't even need a Mew tbh with the amount of events they are doing.
Unless of course you want to use it in-game like me with my Enchiladas.

Does anyone know the numbers of the Starters' max stats when you find them in Yellow? What would each stat spread look like when you get them for the first time if they were perfect? Additionally, what would their attack stats look like with the minimum DVs necessary to be male? (For reference, you get them at level 10, and each badge adds points to stats, so keep that in mind if you can).

I'm not sure about using DV calculators since they might assume you have all the badges (which I wouldn't when I get the starters).

Last edited:
Does anyone know the numbers of the Starters' max stats when you find them in Yellow? What would each stat spread look like when you get them for the first time if they were perfect? Additionally, what would their attack stats look like with the minimum DVs necessary to be male? (For reference, you get them at level 10, and each badge adds points to stats, so keep that in mind if you can).
I'm not exactly sure the answers to these questions, however there are some great resources online such as bulbapedia or serebii and psypokes iv/dv calculators that you can use to find out pretty easily for any Pokemon. For reference, a link to one is attached below

http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/dv.php

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)