Programming Pokémon Showdown Damage Calculator

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Stonjourner's ability Power Spot seems to be artificially boosting its own attacks in the Damage Calculator.

I haven't personally used the Pokemon in game, but if Bulbapedia's information is correct, Power Spot does not affect Stonjourner's own attacks. On Showdown, this is also true; Power Spot does not boost Stonjourner's attacks. Manually changing Stonjourner's ability to anything other than Power Spot or (other) results in the correct calculations.

Attachments

Last edited:

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi Austin, were you able to add Low Kick to gen 1 (Rolling Kick and Solar Beam are also missing)? I've cleared my cache and it's still not there - am I doing something wrong? I expect you're a busy guy, so apologies for pestering you!
Hey Austin, Low Kick is missing in gen 1. Is it possible to add stat modifiers like swords dance? Congratulations for the tool!
fixed

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stonjourner's ability Power Spot seems to be artificially boosting its own attacks in the Damage Calculator.

I haven't personally used the Pokemon in game, but if Bulbapedia's information is correct, Power Spot does not affect Stonjourner's own attacks. On Showdown, this is also true; Power Spot does not boost Stonjourner's attacks. Manually changing Stonjourner's ability to anything other than Power Spot or (other) results in the correct calculations.
fixed

Sup. I came here to ask something very quickly.
Does this Pokémon Damage Calculator not feature the Accuracy and Evasion stats? If so, are there any plans to implement them?
I took a quick look and I couldn't find any parameter to change either of them, so I thought I should come here and ask just in case.
Thanks in advance for reading ^^

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Can Z-move functionality be added to the Gen 8 calc? I don't know if it's supposed to be in there or not, but the Z button next to Crit doesn't do anything. Even if Z-moves never do get added back, would still be useful for NatDex and otherwise not having to shuffle back and forth between Gen 7 and 8 versions of the calc.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sup. I came here to ask something very quickly.
Does this Pokémon Damage Calculator not feature the Accuracy and Evasion stats? If so, are there any plans to implement them?
I took a quick look and I couldn't find any parameter to change either of them, so I thought I should come here and ask just in case.
Thanks in advance for reading ^^
The damage calculator is purely for calculating damage dealt so this wouldn't be affected by Accuracy and Evasion changes.

The damage calculator is purely for calculating damage dealt so this wouldn't be affected by Accuracy and Evasion changes.
The move effect of Punishment takes the amount of times the Accuracy and Evasion stats have been raised into account to calculate the move's power though, at least in Pokémon Platinum. In fact, that's the reason that brought me here. I wanted to check if that stays the same in newer games like Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

I thought this calculator would be an accurate way to check a move's behavior in the different Pokémon games.

pre

pkmn.cc
Currently as a workaround you can assign the boosts to a different stat, but we can add acc/evasion drop downs that appear only when Punishment is selected and only for the purposes off accurate boost totals. Calculating expected damage based on accuracy/evasion is out of scope for the damage calc at this time.

Currently as a workaround you can assign the boosts to a different stat, but we can add acc/evasion drop downs that appear only when Punishment is selected and only for the purposes off accurate boost totals. Calculating expected damage based on accuracy/evasion is out of scope for the damage calc at this time.
That sounds like a fine idea. Just so we're clear though, this kind of things are properly tested before being implemented in the calculator, yes?

To fully explain myself, my goal here was to use this calculator to check if the stat stages of the Accuracy and Evasion stats were still being taken into account to calculate Punishment's damage in the latest Pokémon games like Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, since I can't properly test it myself.
As I said, I only tested it in Pokémon Platinum which is 11 years old by now, so the damage calculation for Punishment could have been changed in newer games. Checking whether that is the case or not is what I was after. I just assumed this tool depicted accurately that sort of things.

pre

pkmn.cc
We rely on the work of Smogon's Pokemon researchers to let us know what the correct mechanics are, though, like with Pokemon Showdown itself, we often introduce some bugs along the way :). Please do not use either the damage calc or the simulator as a source of truth for these things, ask a researcher directly.

plus.png
I'm pretty sure the plus means its nature raises its attack stat, and hardy doesn't raise any attack stats. If that's true, then this is a bug.

Reactions: pre
with the help of MagiaSN the Pokemon Showdown Damage Calculator should now be fully functional with all the gen 7 mechanics. Some additions include Z-moves, moves, terrains, and Abilities. There's probably still a lot we missed so please use this thread for bug reports/missing data/wanted features.
FAQ:
Where do I go if I want to contribute? Damage Calculator Open Source
What if I don't see new features? Try clearing your cache. It usually takes a bit for Zarel to sync the github version with the live version please wait a few days before clearing your cache.
What's new? Changelog
IF YOUR POST WAS DELETED IT WAS DEALT WITH
I don't see Power Spot anywhere, does it not work with damage calculations or was it forgotten? Because I think it's supposed to be in between Export and Battery.
1585046925595.png
1585046940521.png
<--pretty sure it should be added to damage calcs.

Austin

Schismatic
Fixed.

Changing your HP/Atk/Def should have no affect on a Special Attack if I'm not mistaken, so I assume you mean "The calculator does not update the Hidden Power's type and base power based on changes to DVs?" (If you look, its still HP Ice 70). In the particular case of your screenshot, I believe 7/14/13/15/15/15 would still be base power 70, and Water has the same type effectiveness against Aerodactyl as Ice, so the end result should be the same in this case?

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding - I've filed a bug to have changes to DVs/IVs reflected as changes to the Hidden Power type/BP, but for now you'll need to adjust the BP and type manually using the drop downs beside the move. :(

Thanks. This isn't a regression, we've never supported this AFAICT. I've filed a bug to make sure we have import/export parity with the teambuilder on the client, but this is going to take some time to implement :(. In the meantime you're stuck changing 'Gastrodon-East' to 'Gastrodon' before importing, sorry.
Import feature won't recognize Gastrodon-East
Should be fixed, sorry I must've forgotten about this. Gastrodon-East will now import as Gastrodon

ThirdStrongestMole

Banned deucer.
At the moment, the calculator only shows calculations assuming that your pokemon gets attacked and takes leftovers recovery on the same turn, which means that it can't take into account turns where you protect or switch it in through a slow u-turn. I would amend that by adding a "turns of recovery" option, or something similar. It would be convenient because situations of that sort happen very often, and I rarely have the interest to take my phone out and start figuring the exact health leftovers recovery will get me at (especially when I need to also consider multiple entry hazards), and then inputting that number into the calculator for a new calculation that could've been computed on there in the first place.

Multi-hit moves appears to have half total damage as opposed to half first hit damage when a type-resist berry is activated. This latter is how it works in Showdown, so one of the two must be wrong. From my understanding, Showdown's implementation is correct - though Bulbapedia strangely has little information on this interaction.

Mr. Mime-galar is currently a broken on the damage calc, the damage calc keeps showing the name for abomasnow, eviolite also doesn't work on it, but it does use the defensive/offensive values of Mr. Mime-galar. This is the only pokemon found to have such an issue.

Additionally, it is also impossible to adjust the HP values of a pokemon by pure value, only by %. Adjusting the value automatically makes it drop to 0 and can't be adjusted from there.

Austin

Schismatic
Would it be possible to have Random Battle sets in here, or otherwise make it easy to calc things that have 84/84/84/84/84/84 investment with a neutral nature? It gets a bit tedious to have to redo that every time I want to make a calc in randbats.
finally done whoops. only had to redo it like 4 times

Reactions: pre

Austin

Schismatic
The normal calc is now messed up since the Random Battles calc was implemented. Stats that should have 0 EVs are now defaulting to 85.

Edit: While I'm here I'll also mention that rocky helmet does not exist in the calc. This has screwed me over in multiple tournament games when a mon that I imported is holding a rocky helmet and the calc thinks its holding no item, and so damage taken from knock off is inaccurate.
pre fixed

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Calc is straight up broken and gives me these kinda calcs for everything:

252 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Abomasnow: 1-1 (0.3 - 0.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever

also showed me charizard as level 84 not 100?

(posted this in the requests thread by accident)

pre

pkmn.cc
Calc is straight up broken and gives me these kinda calcs for everything:

252 Atk Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Abomasnow: 1-1 (0.3 - 0.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Thanks for the heads up, this was me and something I could have easily verified if I had loaded up the calc locally before deploying instead of trusting our tests. This has been reverted.

also showed me charizard as level 84 not 100?

(posted this in the requests thread by accident)
This should have been fixed earlier in the night - did you see it at the same time you were seeing all the moves dealing 1 damage?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)