Pokémon X & Y In-game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So first off, I'll write up two that I did not use all the way. They're a little theory-monish, but I think I got a good enough grasp on how they work.

Chesnaught / Chespin
Chesnaught - B/C Tier
Availability:
Starter Pokemon, so its availability is perfect.
Stats: All of its forms have a great Defense stat as well as Attack. Its Speed is very underwhelming however, and it will not be outspeeding a lot of Pokemon at your level. Be ready to take some hits.
Typing: Its STAB typing is pretty nice, hitting 7 types super effectively. However, Grass/Fighting is not as good defensively. Chesnaught has 6 weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to the common flying type. 6 resistances are nice though.
Movepool: This is what stopped Chesnaught from being great for me. In its level up movepool, Chesnaught gets a wonderful progression of grass-type moves. However, its fighting type learnset is essentially nonexistent. Mine knew Power-Up Punch for the majority of its tenure. Power-Up Punch is a respectable move, but it, like a lot of Chesnaught's level up moves, is geared towards a playstyle that is not efficient for a simple in-game run. Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, and Bulk Up are inefficient for a playthrough. Once you do get powerful STAB moves, you are in the 50s and 60s level-wise and the two moves (Wood Hammer and Hammer Arm) have negative effects for the user. Even the Brick Break TM is pretty late in the story.
Also - Mine had Pin Missile as well as STAB - That 3 move combo is resisted by Poison, Flying, and a pretty large number of Dual-Types. And until late game, this and weak 60BP or less coverage moves are what you'll be relying on.
Major Battles: Chesnaught is pretty mediocre regarding gyms. You are disadvantaged in the 1st, and the Rock leader uses Pokemon that are rather unforgiving towards Grass types. Once you gain Fighting type, you realize that you are disadvantageous against the last 3 gyms. It does well against Fighting (minus Hawlucha) and Electric, but the Grass Gym resists your STAB nearly completely and packs advantageous secondary types. Team Flare carries a lot of Fire, Poison, and Flying types; perfect for resisting Chesnaught and hitting with SE. They carry Dark types, but the common Houndour is also fire type. I stopped using him before the E4, but it seems as though it would be alright. You have SE STAB on 2 members, but both have Pokemon to hit you back with SE secondary types.
Additional Comments: Chesnaught does pretty well in normal encounters, but it was just underwhelming. You hit a good number of Pokemon SE, but there are just as many that you can barely get neutral on.

Dunsparce
Dunsparce - C/D Tier
Availability:
Dunsparce is available very early, before the first gym. It's a little rare though.
Stats: Dunsparce's Stats are amazing at the stage you get it - a solid 70 Attack with 100/70/65 Defenses. These remain good until everything around you evolves while Dunsparce... doesn't. Its stats are awful towards mid and late game.
Typing: Normal doesn't get any SE hits, but you do get the very useful STAB on the early Return TM.
Movepool: Before the first gym, it has just enough to get by. Defense Curl and Rollout can take out the first gym while taking very little damage. You get Return shortly after that win, and that will carry Dunsparce until you inevitably box it. Dunsparce's Level-Up and TM learnset make it into a Jack of All Trades, Master of None. Dunsparce gets a lot of cool tricks that it doesn't have the stats to back up. Yawn, Roost, Coil, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Poison Jab, and Drill Run are just a few interesting moves you can learn. Dunsparce has a great movepool, it just doesn't have stats or typing to supplement it.
Major Battles: As mentioned before, the 1st Gym is very easy. The second and third are not kind to Dunsparce. The rest are neutral and Dunsparce can get SE coverage moves for most, but by then Dunsparce will begin to fall behind and the advantages won't be enough to keep Dunsparce afloat. Rollout is very nice for the first few Flare encounters, as it's super effective on Fire, Bug, and Flying.
Additional Comments: Dunsparce is stellar early game. This is why I'd possible give it C rank. However, that doesn't make up for how awful it is later on. I was very excited when I saw it early on because its my favorite Pokemon, but he once again proves that he can't keep up with... well, anything that evolves really.

The rest were carried through the entirety of the game.

Vivillon / Scatterbug
Vivillon - A
Availability:
Scatterbug is common before the first gym.
Stats: Vivillon gets 90 Special Attack and Speed at level 12, which is pretty incredible. The rest of its stats are not great and this becomes more noticeable later in the game but it is not a big problem.
Typing: Bug/Flying is a generic typing. 5 Weaknesses, 3 Resistances and 1 helpful Immunity. STAB gets 5 SE hits.
Movepool: This is where Vivillon shines. You get Struggle Bug right away, which is now 50BP and still lowers Special Attack. You also get Psybeam very soon, which is a very usable coverage move. Just as Struggle Bug feels a little weak, you get Bug Buzz to plow through everything. Towards the late-mid game, Vivillon's stats start to feel low... until you get Hurricane and Quiver Dance. Compoundeyes Hurricane is hilariously powerful and Quiver Dance makes it even more ridiculous. You also get a few auxiliary moves like Aromatherapy and the new Powder, but Hurricane is all that you really need.
Major Battles: Vivillon fairs decently against the gyms. 1, 2, 5, and 6 are bad matchups but the others are fairly easy for the butterfly. It can beat Team Flare's Dark and Poison Types, but the abundant Fire and Flying are tough.
Additional Comments: Compoundeyes is crazy. I imagine that a Shield Dust one wouldn't come close to A tier.

/

Charizard [X] / Charmander
Charizard w/ Mega X - S
Availability:
Given to you from Sycamore pretty early on.
Stats: Charmander and Charmeleon are fast and have good offensive stats. Same with Charizard. Charizard X takes it up to 11. Both Attacks are 130, and its ability improves the damage of contact moves. Its defenses also become sturdier.
Typing: Fire/Flying has 3 common weaknesses, but 6 common resistances and an immunity. You can also change to fire/dragon midbattle, where you lose your immunity but lose your common Water and Electric weaknesses and get the very rare Dragon.
Movepool: You get Fire Fang and Flame Burst shortly before evolving and those will carry you while you are in X form. While you don't learn any useful non-fire moves level-up, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, and Brick Break will raise hell in Mega Form.
Major Battles: Charizard X does very well against nearly every major battle. The only ones with really negative matchups are the 2nd gym and the Water type E4 member. Charizard has enough offensive presence that neutral hits are enough to score a lot of OHKOs.
Additional Comments: Seriously just press Mega Evolve and laugh because you know you're going to win.

Ok, I'll write the next 4 soonish.

Xerneas, Aurorus, Doublade (I never got Aegislash haha), and Goodra.

I think it's okay to post different write ups if you have something to say that might counter another's arguents (I wrote up Chesnaught too in response to someone who thought it should be B-tier)

But I would say Xdogking's analysis on Chesnaught doesn't really emphasize Chesnaught's good movepool and omg ppl rollout is good for first gym Chesnaught is a good Pokemon in-game (don't knock it til you try it imo since you said you didn't use it much)

I think it's okay to post different write ups if you have something to say that might counter another's arguents (I wrote up Chesnaught too in response to someone who thought it should be B-tier)

But I would say Xdogking's analysis on Chesnaught doesn't really emphasize Chesnaught's good movepool and omg ppl rollout is good for first gym Chesnaught is a good Pokemon in-game (don't knock it til you try it imo since you said you didn't use it much)

This very much so, do note however Neutral un-EV'ed Rollout fails to OHKO either of her Pokemon, needs two to beat Surskit, while it takes three for Vivilon.

Hm I'm interested in how you calculated that? I took out Surskit in two rollouts and then proceded to kill Vivillion in one hit. I assume you're talking about starting rollout on Vivillion?

I was under the influence that the current write-ups are based on individual experiences and the official one is made based on an average-type measurement of several write-ups later on.

On Rollout - I feel like a lot of things can take out the first gym pretty easily. I don't think Rollout has a lot of use past that because of the long startup time before you do decent damage and lack of Defense Curl (though Defense Curl doesn't make it much better).

I used Chesnaught until I caught Xerneas (so through the entire Flare Plot and 7 badges) and I didn't find it as useful towards the middle and the end. It was very good against the Pokemon it had a favorable matchup against, I just feel like there weren't enough of those Pokemon.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Guys you can write up whoever you want and it does not matter if someone already did it, it only counts towards where it will end up being tiered. Anyhow...

I absolutely disagree with this post (with no offense intended at all to you). Amaura is extremely useful in this game and despite it's weaknesses (aka the fighting type), the game is really easy to get through with Amaura on your team.
Remember that it also has a sickening double weakness to Steel, and weaknesses to numerous other common types like Water, Rock, Ground, Grass. Many Pokémon have these moves.
I think D is undercutting its strengths a lot. First off, it comes at a higher level than the wild Pokemon in the area, making it easier to catch up with your team. Second, it comes before Grant and if you leveled it up enough to learn AncientPower (25 or 26 iirc) you can solo Grant with just Amaura.
I think D-Tier is quite fair when you also factor its weaknesses. Also I beg to differ with Grant from my experience. Amaura (mine was Modest at Level 26) cannot OHKO either Pokémon without a critical hit, and it definitely needs the help of items to solo Grant, which says a lot. Besides, iirc, Tyrunt can just easily 2HKO a Level 26 Amaura with Rock Tomb assuming no X-Items. That says something, especially when it can outspeed you after one Rock Tomb.
Obviously it has a poor match up with Korrina, but I think that should be a given. Moreover, you can use eviolite until it evolves making it super bulky, because eviolite is found in Shalour City. It comes with Aurora Beam and Take Down which are two good Ice STABs right off the bat.
Yes Eviolite is a thing, but it is not as bulky as Aurorus though. Take Down is rather unreliable given 85% Accuracy, and the recoil effect can really hurt it especially if the opponent packs a Super Effective move to belt you with if you cannot OHKO.
The rest of gym leaders have good, decent at worst, matchps with Amaura/Auroros, and since it can learn thunderbolt there is no reason to not use thunderbolt. It helps beat Lysandre's Gyarados, Honchkrow, and Siebold's Gyarados. Plus, it can solo Dracona and help destroy Malva's Talonflame. It also can defeat Diantha's Tyrantrum, Goodra, and Gourgheist. I think if you understand that Amaura has a weakness to fighting and steel, then don't use it against those types unless you feel confident.
Yeah fair enough with most of those (Just note that Lysandre's Mega Gyarados can deal loads of damage with Aqua Tail, but I used Yveltal for that fight, so that needs validation), but I do have a problem with the last sentence here. Basically Pokémon that are ranked higher are ranked higher because they are not as reliant on items, or team-mates to be effective. They can win or solo more matchups with little difficulty. This is the problem Amaura has. It is slow, it has a bad defensive typing that sees it being Super Effectively most of the time, and that makes it reliant on OHKOing targets to make the most of it, because if it cannot, odds are it is likely to take a massive hit or even die, and not even its bulk can help it when it comes to taking Fighting- or Steel-type attacks. If it cannot do that, then it is not very efficient, which is what the tiers are mostly based off: "How efficient is this Pokémon when it comes to helping you beat the game?"
Seriously, Auroros was easily one of the best players on my team thanks to its sheer bulk and powerful moves (You learn Ice Beam via level up, and can learn Freeze Dry from the move relearner) plus the fact that it's basically handed to you if you want it an d you don't have to search for it. Imo, Auroros deserves B-Rank thanks to all of these attributes, but C-Rank at the lowest. It's a really good Pokemon in this game.
Just because something is handed to you on a plate, does not mean it can help you beat the game efficiently. Just look at GSC/HGSS Chikorita, who struggles against most of the Gym Leaders. This is why I nominated Amaura for D-Tier (Though it does not mean Amaura will be D-Tier), its offensive prowess is contemplated by its speed and its garbage defensive typing that offsets its bulk. It is risky to use, and most of all, it is not that efficient. Also remember that this tier list does not assume you are using Exp. Share because it is ludicrously broken and creates ridiculous bias towards higher rankings... -.-'

Perhaps I was too conservative with my nomination, but imo, it was not very efficient, and that is where it counts.

Also wavves: That involves running around for a while, which is not -that- efficient when you could be doing things like beating trainers... :|

EDIT:
Minor correction: Rotom can be caught before Postgame. I got one from a trash can in the Lost Hotel [I think?] well before I beat the E4.
This is indeed correct, and verified when I asked on IRC. Thanks for the catch!

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Yveltal - A
Availability:
Yveltal is a required capture if playing Pokemon Y, and acquired between the 7th and 8th gyms at Level 50. Because it is a required capture, you're guaranteed to pick him up anyway. However I recommend using your Master Ball on Yveltal if you want to soft reset; he is a pain to capture without it. 5/10 for Y, 0/10 for X
Eh? Yveltal is incredibly easy to capture, with a catch rate of 45. I soft resetted for my Yveltal and caught it ~9 times before settling and had first ball captures 3 times, second ball captures 4 times, and third ball captures twice. At that point in the game you're very likely even on levels at worst, or ~8 levels higher as I was.

EDIT RE above: I used Shield Dust Vivillion and it was just as dominant as you said, as I also mentioned in my earlier post.

I think D-Tier is quite fair when you also factor its weaknesses. Also I beg to differ with Grant from my experience. Amaura (mine was Modest at Level 26) cannot OHKO either Pokémon without a critical hit, and it definitely needs the help of items to solo Grant, which says a lot. Besides, iirc, Tyrunt can just easily 2HKO a Level 26 Amaura with Rock Tomb assuming no X-Items. That says something, especially when it can outspeed you after one Rock Tomb.

Yes Eviolite is a thing, but it is not as bulky as Aurorus though. Take Down is rather unreliable given 85% Accuracy, and the recoil effect can really hurt it especially if the opponent packs a Super Effective move to belt you with if you cannot OHKO.

Yeah fair enough with most of those (Just note that Lysandre's Mega Gyarados can deal loads of damage with Aqua Tail, but I used Yveltal for that fight, so that needs validation), but I do have a problem with the last sentence here. Basically Pokémon that are ranked higher are ranked higher because they are not as reliant on items, or team-mates to be effective. They can win or solo more matchups with little difficulty. This is the problem Amaura has. It is slow, it has a bad defensive typing that sees it being Super Effectively most of the time, and that makes it reliant on OHKOing targets to make the most of it, because if it cannot, odds are it is likely to take a massive hit or even die, and not even its bulk can help it when it comes to taking Fighting- or Steel-type attacks. If it cannot do that, then it is not very efficient, which is what the tiers are mostly based off: "How efficient is this Pokémon when it comes to helping you beat the game?"

Just because something is handed to you on a plate, does not mean it can help you beat the game efficiently. Just look at GSC/HGSS Chikorita, who struggles against most of the Gym Leaders. This is why I nominated Amaura for D-Tier (Though it does not mean Amaura will be D-Tier), its offensive prowess is contemplated by its speed and its garbage defensive typing that offsets its bulk. It is risky to use, and most of all, it is not that efficient. Also remember that this tier list does not assume you are using Exp. Share because it is ludicrously broken and creates ridiculous bias towards higher rankings... -.-'

Perhaps I was too conservative with my nomination, but imo, it was not very efficient, and that is where it counts.
I can understand where you're coming from. It's strange though, my Amaura outsped Grant's Tyrunt and one-shot it too w/ aurora beam but I guess that may be where IVs come into play (which I have no idea what they were and am not trying to imply that it should be any part of this tiering).

Also, I forgot to mention that it can beat Lysandre's Gyarados before the last Lysandre battle when it mega evolves, but can still be useful there. I think C-tier would actually be a good place for it, now that I can see your point better, over B-tier. It is great against what it matches up well against, but has crippling weaknesses to a couple major things, including Steel E4 guy (can't remember his name :c ).

I agree that I was probably a bit too optimistic with the nomination for Amaura, but it really was a great Pokemon in my experience.

Honedge / Duoblade /Aegislash - A
Availability:
Honedge is available very early in Route 6, and is one of the best physical tanks in the early game. Once it evolves into Duoblade, you can evolve it to Aegislash at any time, though I recommend waiting until it learns Iron Head, or until you have access to the Move Relearner. 9/10
Typing: Steel/Ghost is rediculously good. It is only weak to Ghost, Dark, Ground, and Fire. It is immune to Poison, Normal, Fighting, and sports a buttload of resistances including Fairy. Offensively the combination of Steel and Ghost is only resisted by Dark/Steel, namely Pawniard and Bisharp, both of which are rare Pokemon. 9/10
Stats: Honedge and Duoblade are pure physical offense and defense. Once evolved to Aegislash, its ability to change stance can be exploited against the computer, allowing it to hit hard, and not get hit back. 9/10
Move Pool: Aegislash's move pool is precise and practical, and can consist of Slash, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Fury Cutter, Aerial Ace, Iron Head, Night Slash, and Sacred Sword. Honedge will be waiting a long time for Iron Head, but it more than fills in the gaps along the way. 8/10
Major Battles: Honedge's line can handle itself in most major fights thanks to its excellent resistances and high attack, including most gym battles (except Lumiose City Gym), and especially handles itself in the Laverre City Gym due to its Fairy resistance. However it needs to be careful against most Team Flare members. 8/10
Other: I often used Aegislash in my lead spot, and it had little difficulty carving its way through the game. It unfortunately doesn't learn its best moves until later, but it always has options at every level.
Ummmm Don't forget Pyroar and Litleo, especially with Lysandre. They aren't that rare anyway. But I still agree that the three are A-Rank material.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Ummmm Don't forget Pyroar and Litleo, especially with Lysandre. They aren't that rare anyway. But I still agree that the three are A-Rank material.
I didn't encounter a lot of Pyroars or Litleos outside of Team Flare battles. But good point.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll weigh in on more of these later once I get some sleep, but as a person who likes stuff like this I'm definitely down for some discussion.

For starters, I'm thinking Froakie is only A-B Tier worthy... but I'll dive into that later.

I can see Chatot at B or C, it is among the best pokes to take on the midgame gyms, however it doesn't scale to well. The fact that you can grab it just before the third gym adds to it's appeal.
Roost via level up partway through helps it and chatter is a great stab move seeing how strong confusion is ingame.

Quacklin' for S tier

Gardevoir - A tier
Availability:
Uncommon in route 4 (it was the first pokemon I encountered there)
Stats: Gardevoir has godly stats for in game. It can take even super effective hits on the special side and hits back with base 125 spA. Its fast enough to outspeed everything it needs to.
Typing: Psychic/Fairy is so great. It hits the common fighting, poison and dark types that team flare use super effectively. Its weaknesses are not very commonly seen either. The immunity to dragon is helpful in the elite 4.
Movepool: This is where the flaws come in. Gardevoir gets Psychic at level 40! Until then you'll be using Confusion as your main STAB. Kirlia gets it at 36 if you don't mind not evolving. Late game you have great coverage such as Thunderbolt (5th gym), Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam (6th gym), Shadow Ball and you have a great set up move in the form of Calm Mind.
Major Battles: Does OK against the 2nd gym with Magical Leaf, destroys the third gym, and does decent against the rest. Gardevoir will destroy Team Flare, just click Psychic or Dazzling Gleam. Gardevoir doesn't mind the elite 4, in fact mine solo'd most of it.
Additional Comments: Trace is a great ability as it copies Intimidate, great for taking on Gyarados and Mightyena. You can come up with combos like copying water absorb as they use a water move for free healing. Synchronize has its uses too.

I'd say its A tier, loses points for getting Psychic late and not being particularly useful as Ralts.

Last edited:
I'll throw my team into the ring:

Name: Delphox - A-S Tier
Availability:
Starter Pokemon. Can't get earlier than that
Stats: Good Sp Atk at 114 and Speed at 104, Delphox can outspeed a lot of the game and hit with powerful STAB Fire or Psychic Attacks.
Typing: Fire and Psychic are good STABs to have. Not many type combinations resist both (Water/Dark is the only one that comes to mind).
Movepool: Learns powerful STABs such as Flamethrower, Mystical Fire, Psychic and Psyshock through leveling up as well as Sunny Day to boost Fire moves to stupidly powerful levels. Can also run Burn Support with Will-o-wisp.
Major Battles: Destroys gyms 1, 2, 4 and 8 and only struggles with gym 2. Can solo the Steel member of the Elite 4 and can hold his own with the Fire and most of the Dragon's with it's Psychic moves. Shouldn't be used in the water.
Additional Comments: Blaze is OK if you've found to take a beating.

Name: Mega Blastoise - A-S Tier
Availability:
After the 1st gym. Given to you level 10.
Stats: Sky-High 135 Sp. Atk with 120 Def and 115 Sp. Def is nothing to laugh at. Quite slow but if a few levels higher than the AI speed usually isn't an issue
Typing: Water is one of the best types in the game. Hits a lot neutrally and only resisted by Grass, Dragon and Ice.
Movepool: Learns the all-mighty Surf, Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse where the latter 2 get boosted by it's ability.
Major Battles: Has no real type strength against the gyms but is powerful enought o hurt in the Fighting, Fairy and Psychic gyms. Struggles with the Grass, Electric and Ice gyms however. Destroys the Fire E4 members while holds his own against Steel. If knows an Ice attack can be helpful in the Dragon as well.
Additional Comments: It's ability allows Water Pulse to be just as powerful as Surf and makes Hydro Pump incredibly powerful.

Name: Talonflame - C Tier
Availability:
Route 2. Very early
Stats: Blistering 120+ Speed with an alright Attack stat of 81.
Typing: Fire/Flying is good offensively but not so good defensively, being weak to the ever present Rock type.
Movepool: It's most powerful Physical Fire type move is Flame Charge with 50 BP. Moves like Fly and Brave Bird make up for this slightly. But they are obtained at later levels.
Major Battles: Great in gyms 1, 3, 4 and 8 if you didn't choose Delphox. Struggles in the 2nd and 4th gyms. Good in the Steel E4 but struggles slightly else where due to it's small attack stat.
Additional Comments: Good Fire type if you didn't have Delphox but lacks in raw damage.

Name: Tyrantum - B-D Tier (depending on other Pokemon rankings)
Availability:
Just before the 2nd gym
Stats: 121 Attack is amazing and has a decent 119 Defence but has a really poor Speed stat
Typing: Rock and Dragon is great offensively but struggles defensively somewhat
Movepool: All it's real power moves such as Crunch, Rock SLide, Head Smash and EQ all come rather late.
Major Battles: Doesn't like the 2nd or 3rd gyms. Not overly strong in any type wise but that powerful attack stat allows it to hit hard in more neutral gyms like the Electric and Psychic gyms. Destroys Fire and Dragon E4if you're faster. Can help with Water and Steel in a pinch
Additional Comments: Strong Jaw allows for STAB Crunch to hit Psychics hard. Hard to level early on but that powerful attack stat really comes into it's own late game

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I honestly felt like Hawlucha was more suited for C-rank, but I might just be a little harsh. When I used it, I found that it was pretty weak. Aside from how weak it was, one of the worst parts about Hawlucha was its lack of reliable Fighting STAB until Hi Jump Kick. Karate Chop is bad, and Flying Press, while strong, doesn't hit Rock- or Steel-types for super effective damage, and that's honestly the best part about Fighting-type attacks.

I also think that Yveltal should be C-rank at best. I had my team filled out in my first runthrough by the 4th or 5th gym, and in my current runthrough, things are looking about the same with 4/6 slots taken, excluding HM slave, before the 4th gym. Yveltal just doesn't get a chance to do anything because of how late it comes in the game. It also doesn't fare particularly well against the 8th gym leader or any of the Elite 4 members, with its STAB combination hitting only three of the Elite Four members' Pokemon super effectively. It's not like Yveltal sucks in general, but it's nothing great in-game.

I'd comment on Pokemon like Squirtle or Litleo or Helioptile that I felt sucked, but I boxed them because they sucked. I figure I'm probably not the only one who boxed anything that wasn't pulling its weight. So it doesn't really make much sense to get a bit upset about people only nominating stuff for higher ranks when they probably didn't use stuff that will end up in lower ranks. '-'

Movepool: It's most powerful Physical Fire type move is Flame Charge with 50 BP. Moves like Fly and Brave Bird make up for this slightly. But they are obtained at later levels.
*cough*Flare Blitz*cough*
Available by Heart Scale I think? Which is about midgame from memory.
Also Acrobatics is an excellent move on it, and I think can be gotten the same way
Honestly Talonflame pulled my team on many occasions.

I also disagree on Blastoise. I carried him the whole game but he never once felt like he was pulling his weight...

One problem I have with making Delphox S is the fact that Ember will likely be your strongest Fire move until you final get it fully evolved at level 36. Flame Charge does have a higher BP, but Braixen's SpAtk is much better than its Atk. Fire Spin has a nice effect for additional damage, but I kept getting screwed over by the imperfect accuracy. It can learn Flamethrower via TM, but you can't get that until you're far into the game.

It's still definitely A rank, though, since once you do finally get a Delphox, you're going to wreck everything weak to Fire or Psychic.

Hm I'm interested in how you calculated that? I took out Surskit in two rollouts and then proceded to kill Vivillion in one hit. I assume you're talking about starting rollout on Vivillion?
Yes I mean:
Chespin used Rollout on Surskit (1)
Chespin used Rollout on Surskit again (2)
Chespin used Rollout on Vivilon again (3)
or it would be:
Chespin used Rollout on Surskit (1)
Chespin used Rollout on Surskit again (2)
Chespin used Rollout on Vivilon again, but it missed
Chespin used Rollout on Vivilon (1)
Chespin used Rollout on Vivilon (2)

/

Charizard [X] / Charmander
Charizard w/ Mega X - S
Availability:
Given to you from Sycamore pretty early on.
Stats: Charmander and Charmeleon are fast and have good offensive stats. Same with Charizard. Charizard X takes it up to 11. Both Attacks are 130, and its ability improves the damage of contact moves. Its defenses also become sturdier.
Typing: Fire/Flying has 3 common weaknesses, but 6 common resistances and an immunity. You can also change to fire/dragon midbattle, where you lose your immunity but lose your common Water and Electric weaknesses and get the very rare Dragon.
Movepool: You get Fire Fang and Flame Burst shortly before evolving and those will carry you while you are in X form. While you don't learn any useful non-fire moves level-up, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, and Brick Break will raise hell in Mega Form.
Major Battles: Charizard X does very well against nearly every major battle. The only ones with really negative matchups are the 2nd gym and the Water type E4 member. Charizard has enough offensive presence that neutral hits are enough to score a lot of OHKOs.
Additional Comments: Seriously just press Mega Evolve and laugh because you know you're going to win.
Gotta second this. Charmander gets Dragon Rage early on while it still OHKO/2HKOs everything, then when it evolves all the way you can reteach it Flare Blitz in Dendemille, which, just to put it into perspective, hits almost as hard from MegaCharizard X as it does from Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan.

Just a general comment, Swords Dance easily makes up for many Pokemon's offensive deficiencies. Try to consider it when playing through with a Pokemon that gets access to it.

I honestly felt like Hawlucha was more suited for C-rank, but I might just be a little harsh. When I used it, I found that it was pretty weak. Aside from how weak it was, one of the worst parts about Hawlucha was its lack of reliable Fighting STAB until Hi Jump Kick. Karate Chop is bad, and Flying Press, while strong, doesn't hit Rock- or Steel-types for super effective damage, and that's honestly the best part about Fighting-type attacks.
The most effective way to use Hawlucha seems to be starting the battle off with a Swords Dance. I ran some calculations, just about every Pokemon in the game is OHKO'd by a Swords Dance + Acrobatics or High Jump Kick, as 110/130 BP is almost unmatched. Fighting/Flying has perfect coverage by the way.

Hawlucha also gets Low Sweep in the Tower of Mastery, shortly after catching it. A much better option than Karate Chop, and arguably Flying Press.

EDIT: Ran some calculations on Linoone, this thing is complete garbage.

-Needs a 4 level advantage to OHKO Clemont's Magneton with Dig, an attack that has 4x effectiveness
-It needs Hone Claws and at least a 3 level advantage to OHKO Serena's Absol after the 6th gym with Play Rough. Absol is incredibly weak defensively and is weak to Fairy
-2x Hone Claws, and a 10 level advantage, and it still only 2HKO's Mega Gyarados
-2x Hone Claws, and a 10 level advantage, and it still only 3HKO's Wulfric's Avalugg w/Dig

E Tier at highest from the looks of things. Somebody will hopefully torture themselves and use it in playthrough to back me me up.

Last edited:
Doublade S-Tier, Aegislash A-Tier.

-Availability: Pretty early in the game. A few routes after the first badge, actually.
-Typing: Brilliant typing. Has a load of immunities and resistances. Sure, it struggles a bit against a few NPCs, but it's just a few of them.
-Stats: Doublade and Aegislash play very differently. Doublade can tank physical assaults all day long and doesn't care about it. Special attacks a bit troublesome, but as long as you've got something to take Flamethrower, you'll be just fine. As for Aegislash, King's Shield + Shadow Claw means you'll always have huge defence when taking damage but huge attack when hitting.
-Movepool: Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Aerial Ace, Slash, Iron Head, and Sacred Sword are all level-up moves and most are actually competitive moves as well. King's Shield required a Heart Scale, but those are incredibly easy to obtain.
-Major Battles: Thanks to its brilliant typing, you'll find youself easily sweeping 6 gyms (all bar the first and fifth). Eh, struggles a bit against Lysandre because of Flamethrower and Intimidate. Can take 2 Elite Four members by itself with little-to-no issues, too, as well as cleansweep the Champion.
-Other: If I had a dollar for every person requesting Dusk Stones or asking where to find them, I'd be rich. Doublade is pure awesomesauce if you can avoid Flamethrower. Aegislash can take pretty much everything, but requires a bit of maneuvering because of Stance Change.

Edit: As a whole, I rank the Honedge line S-Tier.

Last edited:
Gotta second this. Charmander gets Dragon Rage early on while it still OHKO/2HKOs everything, then when it evolves all the way you can reteach it Flare Blitz in Dendemille, which, just to put it into perspective, hits almost as hard from MegaCharizard X as it does from Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan.

I am also agreeing as well, just one nitpick: It gets Flamethrower RIGHT before the Ice-Gym, which is very Powerful, as MegaZard X has a nice base 130 Special Attack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)