Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Ice types would be the Starks, appropriately.
I actually lol'd at that. So I guess Fairy would be Mary Sue, er, I mean Daenerys? I mean, it's even set to make Dragon it's bitch.

And going back to the topic, do you think that the even higher number of rivals means there's a greater chance of one of them being actually important?

Sorry how can those be any worse than

Lickilicky
Truth! Lickilicky is just a transliteration of his Japanese name, which is merely an onomatopoeia for a licking sound. Talonflame sounds more like a bad nickname for a special ops guy, like Hawkeye from GitS:SAC, but it's probably a lot edgier-sounding to the target market

I just hope we don't get a Dragon/Fairy.
I have the perfect idea for one!!

Oh wait, no, that's from HoMM III...

Sorry how can those be any worse than

Lickilicky
Sadly, I have to agree with that...

Though, in my opinion, Talonflame is a better name than Scatterbug; however, "Scatterbug" brings to mind "Scatterbrain," which may or may not accurately describe it (we'd need more details about its behavior to confirm a possible connection).

A mite with magnets.

A poisonous moth.

It has nine tails.

A shrew that lives in the sand.

It hoots.

It's an ape on fire.

It's a rose with a sexually transmitted disease.

It's a chandelier that happens to lure things.

I could go on...

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The real problem with Talonflame is that it doesn't... roll off the tongue really well. I remember back in 2007 when we were discovering the new pokémon's US names, and we got hold of what appeared to be a button with Fuwaraido's name. No one liked the name because it seemed to be "Driftblim", and that's completely retarded. I mean, there's a full stop in the name, how the hell did they think that was a good idea??? Then another picture in higher resolution surfaced and we realized it was Drifblim and all was fine and nothing hurt.

Talonflame has that fucking "onfla" stuck on it. That's horrible.

Plus, a lot of those names you gave were portmanteaus while Talonflame is just... two words. Two words with the space removed, but two words nonetheless.
I'll give you Sandshrew but back then we had things like Ditto and Jynx to worry about.

Horsea. That's enough about the quality of new names. They've always been created based on face-value observations, so the naming convention for Pokémon went to shit when the franchise started.

The real problem with Talonflame is that it doesn't... roll off the tongue really well. I remember back in 2007 when we were discovering the new pokémon's US names, and we got hold of what appeared to be a button with Fuwaraido's name. No one liked the name because it seemed to be "Driftblim", and that's completely retarded. I mean, there's a full stop in the name, how the hell did they think that was a good idea??? Then another picture in higher resolution surfaced and we realized it was Drifblim and all was fine and nothing hurt.

Talonflame has that fucking "onfla" stuck on it. That's horrible.
On the other hand

Gogoat

which is literally pronounced Go Goat

I honestly don't get why people get so upset when name like Talonflame comes out because it's not like they haven't put two words together and called it a day before. I mean, it's either too complicated(Yveltal) or too unoriginal(Talonflame).

If we're going there, the most unoriginal name in pokemon is probably Gloom.

I honestly don't get why people get so upset when name like Talonflame comes out because it's not like they haven't put two words together and called it a day before. I mean, it's either too complicated(Yveltal) or too unoriginal(Talonflame).

If we're going there, the most unoriginal name in pokemon is probably Gloom.
I'd say your idea is a little Farfetch'd.

Well I don't really mind the name, but I gota say, if they will give talonflame regenerator, u-turn, and flare blitz, and it really does have high speed and attack (preferably 135ish atk and over 108 speed) it will be an absolute BEAST on sun teams, despite a terrible SR weakness. Just throw an espeon or xatu or something on their and that thing is unstoppable. I would love for it to get regenerator. Or at least roost. And close combat to take care of rock types. But how in the world could game freak actually give us that?

Well I don't really mind the name, but I gota say, if they will give talonflame regenerator, u-turn, and flare blitz, and it really does have high speed and attack (preferably 135ish atk and over 108 speed) it will be an absolute BEAST on sun teams,
if your suggestion for making something AWESOME requires this much set up you can make any pokemon be a would-be beast

I have three things to say:

Klink, Klang, Klinklang

CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE?

How about that Gardevoir...does this mean Ralts and Kirlia are going to also be part Fairy?

So a faster and slightly more powerful Ho-oh?
And I'd think Ralts and Kirlia would stay as Pure Psychic. That way they can choose between gaining a Fairy or Fighting subtype.

I don't really expect Talon to have much more than a ~470ish BST like the other early birds. If that's the case and he somehow manages to have these insane 135 Atk/108 Speed type stats that people want then he will be so frail that he will be killed by absolutely anything.

I have three things to say:

Klink, Klang, Klinklang

CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE?

How about that Gardevoir...does this mean Ralts and Kirlia are going to also be part Fairy?
I think Ralts & Kirlia will stay pure psychic, only splitting for the final evolution

Plus, a lot of those names you gave were portmanteaus while Talonflame is just... two words. Two words with the space removed, but two words nonetheless.
I'll give you Sandshrew but back then we had things like Ditto and Jynx to worry about.
beedrill is a generation 1 pokemon and it's just two words stuck together. It;s not new

Gah, I always hate this argument
sandshrew=beedrill=gogoat=talonflame
Sorry for discussing this again, but it's so annoying.
And Yveltal isn't that complicated, but that's another story altogether.

On topic:
I think, on the topic of preevos, that Azurill and Azumarill will change to water/fairy for the sake of change.
I also think Jigglypuff will become 2% more useful in triple battles with eviolite and its ability.

I don't want to harp on this too much, but the existence of other bad names doesn't make a bad name less bad. So saying Gloom (I actually like the gloom + bloom for the middle evolution into a flower and who's whole chain could have other, metaphorical meanings, but w/e) or Jynx are bad names too doesn't make Talonflame less bad. It's still two nouns crammed together with zero attempt at a pun. I mean, why not try to use a pun like Bernegrine (burn + again + Peregrine) or Flawk (flame + hawk) or Feus (Feu + fuse) or, hell, change the Japanese Fiarrow up a little bit and use Fiarcon [fee-ar-ken] (fire + falcon). You don't have to be great, just don't be...lazy or uninspired. Talonflame is just as bad and has the same faults as Sandshrew; they can coexist on the same plane of badness.

Also, Gogoat may be two words, but there's still a pun. I mean, you ride him - he goes. And using the verb Go versus the noun Going also makes a pretty big difference. It's also a snappy two syllables with alliteration.

I don't really expect Talon to have much more than a ~470ish BST like the other early birds. If that's the case and he somehow manages to have these insane 135 Atk/108 Speed type stats that people want then he will be so frail that he will be killed by absolutely anything.

Ehh Staraptor has a 475 BST and that thing is almost in OU.

I don't want to harp on this too much, but the existence of other bad names doesn't make a bad name less bad. So saying Gloom (I actually like the gloom + bloom for the middle evolution into a flower and who's whole chain could have other, metaphorical meanings, but w/e) or Jynx are bad names too doesn't make Talonflame less bad. It's still two nouns crammed together with zero attempt at a pun. I mean, why not try to use a pun like Bernegrine (burn + again + Peregrine) or Flawk (flame + hawk) or Feus (Feu + fuse) or, hell, change the Japanese Fiarrow up a little bit and use Fiarcon [fee-ar-ken] (fire + falcon). You don't have to be great, just don't be...lazy or uninspired. Talonflame is just as bad and has the same faults as Sandshrew; they can coexist on the same plane of badness.

Also, Gogoat may be two words, but there's still a pun. I mean, you ride him - he goes. And using the verb Go versus the noun Going also makes a pretty big difference. It's also a snappy two syllables with alliteration.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that. It's just, Pokemon names have always been cheesy and terrible, and to imply otherwise is fooling yourself. The names have always been terrible, and while this isn't excusable, it's also not reason to put certain Pokemon as being ''the worst name'' over others when the same fault lies in those others.

Dang, I like Fiarcon, I might name mine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)