Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would it be addressed
There's nothing odd about it
*double-checks mechanics* You're absolutely right. Long day at work, 3 in the morning, was very tired catching up with the thread no excuses (get it together PME). The only thing going through my mind was Psychic vs. Dark, sorry.
He will probably be Rock or maybe Ground. His hair is fashioned off a cliff, his art depicts him rock climbing, his hair has gems(?) in it, he's in a rocky gym and his badge also looks like a cliff
Yea, I know, I was just...
one can hope
(the Bakutech character Zakuro uses Dark types and I guess the Zakuro from Reborn is the one that everyone actually knows about, who shoots himself to become a demon?). A small group of Japanese writers have a weird obsession with calling their shady characters "Pomegranate", prolly because it sounds really cool in Japanese (ZAKUROOOO~). His English name is Grant, which sounds like Granite, and his first character image shows him in a climbing stance wearing rock climbing gear. It'd be a stretch if they made a guy with an implied apparent connection to rocks a Dark type leader, or anything besides Ground mayhaps.
Perhaps that's what I was thinking of? I was only trying to fool myself because of his name in the hopes of a Dark gym. As the gym leaders get revealed, the chances of a Dark gym are getting slimmer and slimmer ;-;

I'm looking forward to it, was a bit skeptical about the whole Fairy thing and some of the weird-looking Pokemon at first but I think it'll all make sense in context.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
New rumours from Pokexperto

the japanese names of several pokemon

1ディアンシー Dianshii
2ハリボーグ Hariboogu Probably: evolution of Chespin/Harimaron
3ゲコガシラ Gekogashira
4ボルケニオン Borukenion Probably: Volcanion
5デデンネ Dedenne
6ホルビー Horubii
7ニャオニクス Nyaonikusu Probably: Meowstick as per previous leak
8ブリガロン Burigaron
9ジガルデ Jigarude
10マフォクシー Mafokushii
11フーパ Fuupa
12ゲッコウガ Gekkouga
13トリミアン Torimian
14テールナー Teerunaa
Number 10. looks like Magic + Foxy to me (Mahou + fokushii)
Won't be surprised if it's an evo of the fire starter.

3. and 12. both of Geko in them, maybe a translation of "gecko".

Number 10. looks like Magic + Foxy to me (Mahou + fokushii)
Won't be surprised if it's an evo of the fire starter.

3. and 12. both of Geko in them, maybe a translation of "gecko".
But 3 and 12 use different kanji for the "ge-ko" syllables. If they're real, I wouldn't assume that they're connected.

on another opinion, lol, foxy magic.

Is it sad that I'm willing to believe these less because it's pokeexperto and more because it seems to lack any evolutions of older Pokemon

And after getting on people's cases for believing older rumors because they were "humble" I'm so ashamed

Cresselia~~

But 3 and 12 use different kanji for the "ge-ko" syllables. If they're real, I wouldn't assume that they're connected.

Um... I guess you mean kana? Pokemon has never used Kanji in Pokemon names.
But good observation! It may not mean the same thing.

That's why the lack of kanji in Pokemon names make the meaning is so difficult to guess-- Japanese has a lot of homophones, owing to their limited amount of vowels and consonants.
Kanji is used in modern day Japanese for clarification.

I think Mica or what ever the lil squid's name will be in RU NU or UU and LC or NFE
and the big squid thing will be in Ubers or OU

Sorry Yveltal i'm getting Xerneas

That's why the lack of kanji in Pokemon names make the meaning is so difficult to guess-- Japanese has a lot of homophones, owing to their limited amount of vowels and consonants.
lol Kanji

I find it hard to believe that the movie has aired, yet they haven't even given us Mewtwo's new form's name.
Serebii said:
the biggest scoop of the century
Hopefully form name. But something inside me is hoping that it's the starter evos. But if I remember correctly, last gen, Emboar, Seperior, and Samurott were leaked a month before BW and officially revealed after release? So I won't hold my breath. All I'm expecting from next issue of Corocoro is simply more new Pokémon.
(Hey Cobraroll, I found out how to type "é", no problems from me concerning Flabébé now).

Edit: I think that's the first time I've seen a triple post. Even though Stellar has explicitly warned us to refrain from such things.

I find it hard to believe that the movie has aired, yet they haven't even given us Mewtwo's new form's name.
I really don't get why they didn't reveal anything about it between revealing it in March & now. No name. No type. No hints as to how it transforms. Not even miscellaneous height/weight information.
The only thing we can gleam from the movie/special appearance is that it's fast.
Hopefully form name. But something inside me is hoping that it's the starter evos. But if I remember correctly, last gen, Emboar, Seperior, and Samurott were leaked a month before BW and officially revealed after release? So I won't hold my breath. All I'm expecting from next issue of Corocoro is simply more new Pokémon.
The Final evolutions were leaked before hand and then revealed after the game came out (I think in the next month's issue).
The mid stage evolutions were also leaked before hand and revealed in CoroCoro the month of release (along with 16 other Pokemon)

I'm really hoping that Chespin becomes grass/rock. It's a really cool tiping, and I don't really find grass/dark that appealing...

^ I guess they might also think so because Wood Hammer tends to be given to heavier Pokemon, and Rock-types tend to be heavier...?
I'unno. Either way you look at it, it's a tenuous link at best...

In my case it's just that I want it to be grass/rock, it's kind of a cool combination.​
But who knows, maybe one of the starters will turn out to be fairy type, that would be cool too! :D

Well, I think we're getting Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting. Call me crazy, but the Pokebeach leaks have pretty much hit the nail on the head with Fletchling, Helioptile, Gogoat, Pancham, Pangoro, Inkay, Malamar, Sky Battles, the Fairy type, Sylveon being Fairy, the first Gym being Bug, and Draining Kiss, so I see no reason to believe they're just gonna bomb out now with the starter evolution types.

As you can tell, I know very little about the language in written format. I would call a line of hiragana out to be katana at least thirty-seven times before it snaps in my head.
Gurl, I'm from the Kalos region. We speak other forms of foreignese there, bébé.

Sorry Yveltal i'm getting Xerneas
W-W-W-WHY DON'T YOU TWO LOVE ME??!

But also
I think Mica or what ever the lil squid's name will be in RU NU or UU and LC or NFE
and the big squid thing will be in Ubers or OU
That, my dear not-future-trainer, depends on what Malamar's role turns out to be. What we were given comes off as a flipside Contrary abuser who could wreck Baton Passing and Sword/Quiver Dancers. Knowing Hypnosis can create the stall it needs to Topsy-Turvy somebody, but that can get predictable really fast in a PvP. The rest of its movepool will be our biggest tell as to where Malamar (the big 'un) is going. Inkay...well, I should hope it was clear that it would go in NU or LC for being a basic Pokémon in a two-part evolutionary line.
Keep that insight in mind. You won't hear that from your precious Xerne-ASS humph!

Out of curiosity, is the only reason people think Chespin would become part Rock due to Rollout?
In a world where Miltank coined a Rock-type move, I think it's silly to call Rollout a tell for Chespin's type. Back in January, I thought that Grass/Rock, Fire and maybe Water/Ice, Water/Fighting or Water/Flying would have simply been a nice setup and a good rebound from Gen V's final starter typing...choices. With Water/Ice, Fennekin could hit either of them with her STAB for normal damage and Finalpin and Froakifinal could hit each other supereffectively over Froakifinal's Ice typing. I just kinda like Water/Fighting, and I used to picture Froakie's bubbles turning into cloudy wings as a Water/Flying, even though a Grass/Rock Finalpin would reign supreme between the three...which I wouldn't mind, honestly.

I'd just like to state for the record that Yveltal is, IMO, the cooler of the two version mascots. I decided early on that Y would be my main game as opposed to X (I'm glad that Skrelp's version exclusivity doesn't make me have to reconsider- I'll be using a Skrelp on my team, that's non-negotiable), primarily due to how freaking awesome Yveltal looks.

Based on typing speculation for the starters is there any idea if any of them will be OU? I'm realy liking Chespin and Fenekin xD

Based on typing speculation for the starters is there any idea if any of them will be OU? I'm realy liking Chespin and Fenekin xD
The bigger deciding factor for that would have to be non-trash stats with good-to-great movepools

Hopefully the dark typing greatly expands Chespin's movepool

Cresselia~~

As you can tell, I know very little about the language in written format. I would call a line of hiragana out to be katana at least thirty-seven times before it snaps in my head.
Gurl, I'm from the Kalos region. We speak other forms of foreignese there, bébé.

W-W-W-WHY DON'T YOU TWO LOVE ME??!

But also

That, my dear not-future-trainer, depends on what Malamar's role turns out to be. What we were given comes off as a flipside Contrary abuser who could wreck Baton Passing and Sword/Quiver Dancers. Knowing Hypnosis can create the stall it needs to Topsy-Turvy somebody, but that can get predictable really fast in a PvP. The rest of its movepool will be our biggest tell as to where Malamar (the big 'un) is going. Inkay...well, I should hope it was clear that it would go in NU or LC for being a basic Pokémon in a two-part evolutionary line.
Keep that insight in mind. You won't hear that from your precious Xerne-ASS humph!

In a world where Miltank coined a Rock-type move, I think it's silly to call Rollout a tell for Chespin's type. Back in January, I thought that Grass/Rock, Fire and maybe Water/Ice, Water/Fighting or Water/Flying would have simply been a nice setup and a good rebound from Gen V's final starter typing...choices. With Water/Ice, Fennekin could hit either of them with her STAB for normal damage and Finalpin and Froakifinal could hit each other supereffectively over Froakifinal's Ice typing. I just kinda like Water/Fighting, and I used to picture Froakie's bubbles turning into cloudy wings as a Water/Flying, even though a Grass/Rock Finalpin would reign supreme between the three...which I wouldn't mind, honestly.
Um? Did I sound like I was attacking you?
I was actually praising your excellent observation, but was only pointing out that you only had one small fact wrong.
I must have completely looked like a smartass, I guess?
Well... my real self is just nerdy instead. ^____^" No offense intended.

----------------- a - line ----------------

I think we still need to know Malamar's stats before we can be sure where's it's going to be.
I mean, if Malamar's got really low HP or defenses, it could be quite difficult to use in OU for variable move purposes.
Not to mention the existance/ stats of other Pokemon matters too.
In the end, if Malamar doesn't get to learn any decent stat reducing moves, then it probably end up being used as suction cup baton pass receiver.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It still baffles me how people speculate, not only whether a Pokémon is OU, but whether its hypothetical evolutions will be OU. I mean, folks, we know nothing about how the X/Y metagame will be and what attributes will be important (remember, for instance, how important a Rock weakness became in the transition between generations 3 and 4). We also know nothing about how the discussed Pokémon will perform, not only in relation to the rest of the 'mons in the game (which arguably is the sole deciding factor for whether a Pokémon is OU or not), but not any stats, moves, anything to even know how it would be even in the current metagame. You might as well ask how the middle stage between Fletchling and Talonflame would perform in Gen. VIII RU, or for that matter how good Chespin would be in the next Super Smash Bros. if they added a Kalos trainer as a character. The answer - obvious to anybody who bother to think things through - is "insufficient data". It's not worth discussing until we know more.

But if we absolutely want to speculate, I think it's a given at this point that Fennekin will have some sort of psychic connection upon evolution. Either "Lucario style", as in an implied typing granting it specific powers, or a partial psychic typing. Note the lack of a capital P, it could be any one of Psychic, Ghost, Dark or even Fairy (since we know so little about what Fairy types actually do, we can't rule it out yet).

Chespin is a wild card. It could evolve into pretty much any typing without surprising me much (OK, Electric or Ice would be unexpected, but...). People keep throwing out Rock, Ground, Fighting and Dark as likely typings, and they all seem equally plausible. Still, that doesn't mean those are the only options.

Froakie certainly looks "airy" at the moment. The only flavour text we have about it mention it's a good jumper, and it likes bubbles a lot. I can certainly see it being part Flying type, but on the other hand, both Blaziken and Grovyle have been featured as excellent jumpers, and neither of them can fly. If I was forced to do a prediction, I'd go for a floaty bubbly flying cloud frog thingy (Water/Flying), but pure Water and for that matter Water/Fighting wouldn't surprise me either.

Let's not forget Tepig, though. Judging from the looks of it alone, very few could have guessed it ended up part Fighting upon evolution. Myself, I was thinking Ground or Dark, hoping for a badass quadripedal boar for the longest time. Since I saw Pignite and Emboar, I've decided to be extra cautious when speculating about typings.

Um? Did I sound like I was attacking you?
I was actually praising your excellent observation, but was only pointing out that you only had one small fact wrong.
I must have completely looked like a smartass, I guess?
Well... my real self is just nerdy instead. ^____^" No offense intended.

I think we still need to know Malamar's stats before we can be sure where's it's going to be.
I mean, if Malamar's got really low HP or defenses, it could be quite difficult to use in OU for variable move purposes.
Not to mention the existance/ stats of other Pokemon matters too.
:O Attacking? If all that came off as defensive, I was really just discrediting myself further after that slip-up with the names of the different Japanese character sets. I was glad that you corrected me, but my reply prolly doesn't read as joking as it sounded in my head, lol.
You're fine, though. I really like a lot of things that you have to say, and it's nice to see that you try to constructively correct people when they make an informational mistake -^_^-

I agree that stats are equally as important as moves and abilities. Especially Malamar's ability, which I should hope gets to be used and abused by techniques that will wind up bolstering stats that are already good. Imagine Malamar using something like Superpower, and after a couple of uses...omg.

Cresselia~~

It still baffles me how people speculate, not only whether a Pokémon is OU, but whether its hypothetical evolutions will be OU. I mean, folks, we know nothing about how the X/Y metagame will be and what attributes will be important (remember, for instance, how important a Rock weakness became in the transition between generations 3 and 4). We also know nothing about how the discussed Pokémon will perform, not only in relation to the rest of the 'mons in the game (which arguably is the sole deciding factor for whether a Pokémon is OU or not), but not any stats, moves, anything to even know how it would be even in the current metagame. You might as well ask how the middle stage between Fletchling and Talonflame would perform in Gen. VIII RU, or for that matter how good Chespin would be in the next Super Smash Bros. if they added a Kalos trainer as a character. The answer - obvious to anybody who bother to think things through - is "insufficient data". It's not worth discussing until we know more.

But if we absolutely want to speculate, I think it's a given at this point that Fennekin will have some sort of psychic connection upon evolution. Either "Lucario style", as in an implied typing granting it specific powers, or a partial psychic typing. Note the lack of a capital P, it could be any one of Psychic, Ghost, Dark or even Fairy (since we know so little about what Fairy types actually do, we can't rule it out yet).

Chespin is a wild card. It could evolve into pretty much any typing without surprising me much (OK, Electric or Ice would be unexpected, but...). People keep throwing out Rock, Ground, Fighting and Dark as likely typings, and they all seem equally plausible. Still, that doesn't mean those are the only options.

Froakie certainly looks "airy" at the moment. The only flavour text we have about it mention it's a good jumper, and it likes bubbles a lot. I can certainly see it being part Flying type, but on the other hand, both Blaziken and Grovyle have been featured as excellent jumpers, and neither of them can fly. If I was forced to do a prediction, I'd go for a floaty bubbly flying cloud frog thingy (Water/Flying), but pure Water and for that matter Water/Fighting wouldn't surprise me either.

Let's not forget Tepig, though. Judging from the looks of it alone, very few could have guessed it ended up part Fighting upon evolution. Myself, I was thinking Ground or Dark, hoping for a badass quadripedal boar for the longest time. Since I saw Pignite and Emboar, I've decided to be extra cautious when speculating about typings.
Didn't we also hear that there will be great changes in the game mechanics as well?

I agree that we have no idea how a Pokemon could perform in this new game mechanics thing.

I don't know about most people but I'm dying for a speedy water starter for once....I mean look at the base speeds

Blastoise: 78
Feraligatr: 78
Swampert: 60
Empoleon: 61
Samurott: 70

I'm really rooting for froakie to end up speedy, and seeing as how it's the very first water starter to learn quick attack early gets my hopes up. I'm really hoping for a froakie evo to be a water/fighting with Infernape base stats. Sort of like a mixed Keldeo with decently balanced atk and spatk. Sceptile base stats are also okay, but only if it turns out to be water/dark. I don't know about other people but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)