Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
R
However, I guess they'll have less in-depth inspirations in XY but starts to be simple -- look and Swirlix and the other flamingo perfume thingy, they are just cotton candy and perfume. I think they start to realize that most children throughout the world don't know too much, and that their parents would probably think that a game/ anime is supposed to be silly.
1. Swirlix isn't just cotton candy, it also appears to be based on a dog
2. SPRITZEE ISN'T "JUST PERFUME"
AT ALL
It is a bird. It can produce fragrance, yes, but it is not literally perfume come alive like Trubbish is trash. It baffles me when people just lump it in with everything else in a dismissive way. (ALSO maybe a plague doctor???)
For a long time, they thought that it was because the Westerners wanted to diminish them, and overlooked their in-depth messages purposefully.
But I guess they realize that it was a misconception.
They'll have to cut that out, because their messages didn't go through.
Where are you even getting this at all

i'm pretty sure pokeman is supposed to be fairly silly/lighthearted. I don't see how it is particularly deep in plot or anything like that at all.

So I'm understandably glad that it looks like instead of making attempts to put deepness in a Pokeman game the villains are looking more like random goofballs with more basic desires like Team Rocket.

i'm pretty sure pokeman is supposed to be fairly silly/lighthearted. I don't see how it is particularly deep in plot or anything like that at all.

So I'm understandably glad that it looks like instead of making attempts to put deepness in a Pokeman game the villains are looking more like random goofballs with more basic desires like Team Rocket.
that's what they WANT you to think ;)
Game Freak knows good and well that A LOT of thier core fans are folks between the ages of 16-30+ years old.
This series is NOT JUST FOR KIDS, it's E, for Everyone.

Where are you even getting this at all
You may recall a certain Castform. A lot of Americans thought it had a god-awful design at first because they didn't know what it was based on and how significant teru-teru bozus were to Japanese culture. I think jynx is creating a stream of logic following overseas consumer's artistic reviews of the series and how certain designs may be received outside of Japan and maybe also China, Korea and Vietnam.

You may recall a certain Castform. A lot of Americans thought it had a god-awful design at first because they didn't know what it was based on and how significant teru-teru bozus were to Japanese culture. I think jynx is creating a stream of logic following overseas consumer's artistic reviews of the series and how certain designs may be received outside of Japan and maybe also China, Korea and Vietnam.
Yeah all that hatred (????????) & confusion of Castform & its ilk surely led to a decrease in ~deep & meaningful~ pokemon design rooted in other cultures
guess we'll never get things based on daruma dolls or kabuki actors or shinto deities or taoism or norse mythos or egyptian or european mythos in general

do you see the weirdness in the logic here?
GameFreak doesn't really care if people don't understand what the pokemon are based on. If they have an idea to base a Pokemon on some myth or cultural aspect of whatever real life culture (be it their own or otherwise), they'll do it.
They're not going to just suddenly stop doing that and "simplify" it like jynx seems to be implying by calling out Swirlix & Sprizee (which could very well have basis in Plague Doctors, general aromatherapy theme aside).

also something tells me that the teru-teru bozus are really not that significant to japanese culture than various other customs and legends, but whatever

I'm not agreeing with what jynx is trying to put out there, and yeah, teru-teru bozus aren't to the Japanese what a monstrance is to Catholics, though it is still a cultural thing that you'd most likely have to either be Japanese or have done Japanese studies to know about it, it's only one instance of the culture barrier confusing overseas players. It's true that, ultimately, it's a group of mostly Japanese artists and designers making a game based on what they like and grew up with, so there should be a constant expectation to see some Japanese artistic theming in everything (not counting the drawing style, which is, of course, JAPANESE, so that much already gets a pass). Keeping in mind that unwritten threshold of directly Japanese influence that dictates how most things move and work in the games, one could argue that Spritzee and Swirlix are based on Sanrio-like creatures or magical fairy counterparts to certain anime characters.

I also think it's true that if they really cared about broadening and generalizing the look of new Pokémon, they'd hire people with different artistic and cultural backgrounds for the art team. Even then, it's still people making whatever they feel like inventing, so the influence isn't really worth freaking out about. If they really are looking to get more people to say "oh ok, it's a falcon that can catch fire!" because they might think that kind of reaction is going to test more positively for allowing players to make their own associations, then maybe it'll show this generation.

Today I downloaded the new Mystery Dungeon demo for 3ds. Very unpleasant, will be the last time I touch that rubbish. The core problem for me seemed that it was too zoomed in... which makes me wonder if Pokemon X and Y will seem too zoomed in. Not a fan having a 3D avatar.

Whenever I find some cultural reference in a monster I feel *secretly* very proud of it. I'm a big Shin Megami Tensei series fan, I like the links that almost every demon has to folclore, spirits and religion.
When reading this generation will have nordic mythology influence I was happy and feeling that they're expanding possibilities now on a point that I frequently hear people talking: they have no more ideas to create new monsters blablabla.

Today I downloaded the new Mystery Dungeon demo for 3ds. Very unpleasant, will be the last time I touch that rubbish. The core problem for me seemed that it was too zoomed in... which makes me wonder if Pokemon X and Y will seem too zoomed in. Not a fan having a 3D avatar.
The 3D screen shows us roughly 13x12 tiles. in BW2, we see about 15x13 tiles, which means we lose 39 square tiles, possibly because it is zoomed in slightly to better show off the model. In XY, the furthest away someone can be from you before they fall off the right or left side of the screen is if they're six tiles away, whereas in BW, someone falls off the left/right side of the screen when they're more than seven tiles away. So really, we're zoomed in by one square tile...layer?
Hope that helps your decision.

The 3D screen shows us roughly 13x12 tiles. in BW2, we see about 15x13 tiles, which means we lose 39 square tiles, possibly because it is zoomed in slightly to better show off the model. In XY, the furthest away someone can be from you before they fall off the right or left side of the screen is if they're six tiles away, whereas in BW, someone falls off the left/right side of the screen when they're more than seven tiles away. So really, we're zoomed in by one square tile...layer?
Hope that helps your decision.
This doesn't really work for the entire game when we've seen dynamic cameras zooming in and out depending on the area

This doesn't really work for the entire game when we've seen dynamic cameras zooming in and out depending on the area
I made that post based on multiple screenshots from the XY gameplay trailers and my own W2 game. There's a rough 13x12 grid in the first trailer on Route 3, the shot in Vaniville town from trailer 2, every outdoor screenshot in trailer 4, and the routes travelled during the preview playthrough that was aired during Smash last week. The 3D pitch in W2 gives you a rough 15x13 grid in most all regular outdoor areas.
I know that there are some areas with more dynamic camera angles including most/all of Lumiose City and the player's room, but the regular camera angle, being the one the game is going to show you the world through most of the time, is the one I would place the most importance on if being zoomed into a 3D model is an issue for someone.

Plague doctors kept dried flower petals and herbs in their masks to keep out the stench of death. I saw a cabaret about a murderous plague doctor last night, and now Spritzee is feeling almost as creepy as Yamask.

They redid the Pokemon models from scratch instead of just copying the 3D dex models. Sure enough, they could have made the interface a little more realistic. Maybe they could make it look like an actual backpack packed with stuff, and you select the items from their pockets.

Also, the Pokemon's names and abilities should never appear on the top of their sprites, just as it wouldn't in a canon Pokemon universe. Instead, they could make it so that you can select the Pokedex during the battle and it will detect and tell you the details. It'd also be fun if you could make the Pokedex entries yourselves.

I appreciate the little allusions Game Freak sneaks into the Pokemon games concerning things like mythology and cultural figures. It helps give the games a much-needed extra layer of depth, even if it's only a surface layer. Beyond that, it's a fun way for GF to put little nods in to their older audience and festering fan theories that kids might not be able to pick up on, or just have no business knowing about (i.e. Cubone's mask).

They redid the Pokemon models from scratch instead of just copying the 3D dex models. Sure enough, they could have made the interface a little more realistic. Maybe they could make it look like an actual backpack packed with stuff, and you select the items from their pockets.

Also, the Pokemon's names and abilities should never appear on the top of their sprites, just as it wouldn't in a canon Pokemon universe. Instead, they could make it so that you can select the Pokedex during the battle and it will detect and tell you the details. It'd also be fun if you could make the Pokedex entries yourselves.
Good god.
Shadow Knight's partly correct about them using previously used models that have been edited to better fit into the game. New shaders and any edited meshes or idle/attack animations can be created a lot faster if they aren't making a new model for every single Pokémon, and both modeling/rendering and animation are very time consuming when you've got a big project. They would never have the time to go create an artsy interface if they decided to remake everything that they could have had an easier time editing to match the new visuals and then moving into the game. The interface, however, is something that they don't seem too keen on cluttering up. It's still an options menu for things to do, and children register that a lot easier than having an entire character with tabs all over his body that you have to press to do something.

They're going to give you the best presentation of the Pokémon world possible, which means they're going to do it in a manner that actually makes sense. I think the reason that you see "a wild Fletchling appeared!" is because the Pokedex does default to record that information and tell you what the Pokémon is at least called, since there's nothing else around you to let you know what it is if you didn't already know about the species prior to your journey. In the Electric Tale of Pikachu, Ash's Pokedex has a function that shows him a close estimation of Pikachu's health in the form of a health bar, so I get the feeling that the status bar displays are supposed to be information that the Pokedex is showing you because you're in a battle. Being able to use the Pokedex in battle has been on my wishlist for a while as well, because a retooling of how it works in-battle vs out of battle would make the Pokedex feel more integral to your journey if you have reasons to use it both in and out of battle.

I can see where you're going if you get the option to make a personalized second Pokedex info page for Pokémon you've seen/defeated/caught, or something, kinda like a two sentence notepad, but I'm more interested in what they come up with for each Pokémon's biology or habits, so I wouldn't want to have to spend time inventing all the information I'd see after catching ten new Pokémon in a previous game.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Good god.
Shadow Knight's partly correct about them using previously used models that have been edited to better fit into the game. New shaders and any edited meshes or idle/attack animations can be created a lot faster if they aren't making a new model for every single Pokémon, and both modeling/rendering and animation are very time consuming when you've got a big project. They would never have the time to go create an artsy interface if they decided to remake everything that they could have had an easier time editing to match the new visuals and then moving into the game. The interface, however, is something that they don't seem too keen on cluttering up. It's still an options menu for things to do, and children register that a lot easier than having an entire character with tabs all over his body that you have to press to do something.

They're going to give you the best presentation of the Pokémon world possible, which means they're going to do it in a manner that actually makes sense. I think the reason that you see "a wild Fletchling appeared!" is because the Pokedex does default to record that information and tell you what the Pokémon is at least called, since there's nothing else around you to let you know what it is if you didn't already know about the species prior to your journey. In the Electric Tale of Pikachu, Ash's Pokedex has a function that shows him a close estimation of Pikachu's health in the form of a health bar, so I get the feeling that the status bar displays are supposed to be information that the Pokedex is showing you because you're in a battle. Being able to use the Pokedex in battle has been on my wishlist for a while as well, because a retooling of how it works in-battle vs out of battle would make the Pokedex feel more integral to your journey if you have reasons to use it both in and out of battle.

I can see where you're going if you get the option to make a personalized second Pokedex info page for Pokémon you've seen/defeated/caught, or something, kinda like a two sentence notepad, but I'm more interested in what they come up with for each Pokémon's biology or habits, so I wouldn't want to have to spend time inventing all the information I'd see after catching ten new Pokémon in a previous game.
What i see in the trailer is that miltank has the same animation and proportions as it is in PBR and Stadium.
So i guess it's possible for them to import from there and change the surface?
I guess.

I'm not 100% sure on that. Slapping a different shader on a model doesn't mean the model is different.

See, I didn't look at it too close on that. Now that I did some research, it seems you are probably right.

We'll have to wait and see if all of them are like this. I guess we're fine as long as we don't investigate into this too much. It may not turn out to be an inspirational story, but we can safely say it's still a lot of work.

I think the reason that you see "a wild Fletchling appeared!" is because the Pokedex does default to record that information and tell you what the Pokémon is at least called, since there's nothing else around you to let you know what it is if you didn't already know about the species prior to your journey. In the Electric Tale of Pikachu, Ash's Pokedex has a function that shows him a close estimation of Pikachu's health in the form of a health bar, so I get the feeling that the status bar displays are supposed to be information that the Pokedex is showing you because you're in a battle. Being able to use the Pokedex in battle has been on my wishlist for a while as well, because a retooling of how it works in-battle vs out of battle would make the Pokedex feel more integral to your journey if you have reasons to use it both in and out of battle.

I know, it's Farfetch'd. But maybe they'll do it in the coming generations. Masuda has promised that the EV and IV system will be more transparent in X&Y. And they did introduce the Fairy type.. so, they're definitely not opposed to change.

Japanese kids =/= American kids

As for the water, that's definitely just a barrier. The location and the buoy are dead giveaways.

Really? I understand the cultural differences, but let's not pretend that little kids from any region of the world are lacking in ignorance.

The water may or may not be a barrier, who knows? Buoys typically signal a drop off and deeper waters, so it could easily be a diving region or an area which requires backtracking after obtaining a new HM.

I think the battle interface is a work in progress at this point. It looks too unprofessional to me. It's easy to change and I'm sure they still have a ton of work to do before it's released for certification.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Now I'm not too sure what Team Flare's motive could be, the money-making scheme seems to be masked in a similiar fashion to Team Plasma's goals, simply because it's too generic. I mean come on, we have eco-terrorism and rebirth of the whole damn world, and now they want to revert back to hogging loads of cash? Hardly "evil", unless said method can match or even somehow trump the scale of previous villainous plots, and even then they have Team Rocket to compete with.

Now I know this may lead to some 4th-wall breaking, but suppose the masterminds are aware that pokemon can only be limited to 4 moves, or 6 per party, or 510 EVs, and thus try to break that barrier. I know this sounds far-fetch'd (especially because it may mess up new ideas for mechanics of the next Gen), but this could actually give the villains an distinctly greater advantage over us, making them genuinely harder to stop. Hell, this could even lead to Pokemon's first (god forbid) forced-loss scenario.

I think the battle interface is a work in progress at this point. It looks too unprofessional to me. It's easy to change and I'm sure they still have a ton of work to do before it's released for certification.
Yeah, I think it still looks more like a prototype than a finished product. Unless they are going for a purely minimalist interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)