Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
then uu would love to have hydreigon next gen. it's not a bad thing if a poke drops when it's already very much outclassed/underused in the tier it's in, you know.

oh my god will you be quiet about it needing to be pink and girly to be faerie

that's like saying that altaria and dragonair aren't dragons because they're elegant and not brutal looking or dragonite because it's actually really cute [look at that smiley face~]

dragon =/= tough/badass
fairy =/= cute, feminine

get out of your stupid little stereotypes plz
That's like saying not all Rock-types are made out of rock, not all Steel-types have steel armor, not all Fire-types have obvious fire coloring/pattern, not all Electric-types are primarily yellow, not all Water-types are primarily blue/have aquatic patterns etc. etc.

Stereotypes does exist and they are a determining factor in the typings of most Pokémon. They might not be the only factor, but they are still very much present. Yes, all types have a lot exceptions, but that doesn't change much. I do agree the mindset of Fairy-type only covering generically cute critters is wrong, but still that doesn't mean say 10 out of 26 of them will be based off Irish folktales, ancient European pagan mythology or Guillermo del Toro's imagining of the older folklores and remain unmoefied(well, as much as Pokémon-aime will allow it, not that's a bad thing or anything). Yes, 5 or 6 of them will probably be like that, but not nearly half of them.

And the promotional material are explicitly stating the contrast Fairies beating Dragons make, which is probably their logical justification for the type matchup as well(outside of rebalancing issues of course).

As for MeganiUltimate's post, Assist is Cat's Paw in Japanese and Lovely Kiss is Demon's Kiss in Japanese, so there's that.

new crayfish gives me a water/elec vibe. Seahorse looks like it's based on the seadragon which could go lots of different ways: water/grass, water/poison, water/dragon, hell maybe even water/fairy. Bird looks like the Fletchling evo.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
In reply I'll refer to canon Satoshi Tajiri art which depicts dragonite best
(I bet you purposefully left this one out)
so how about this.

The three new Pokemon look kinda... unappealing to me. Especially the Fletchling evo. Regardless, I'm sure that it's just the low-res images that are making me think that way. The idea of a leafy seadragon is nice IMO, since they're one of my favorite animals.

Three new pokes and a new battle style apparently. Read pokebeach

http://pokebeach.com/

Well, one looks like Fire bird's evolution but the other two are definitely new. Site says the sea horse uses a Poison-type attack so maybe we'll have a good Water/Poison ahead?. The other poke is decent I guess
I just thought the thread would turn into another cyclical discussion about Fairies. And then I saw this. Glad I stopped by.

The Froakie VS. Houndour pack pic looks very interesting, it'd be a cool wild battle mechanic that accelerates EV training for those who prefer not to use infinite Vitaims/Wings.

It is still very d'awww, Soul Fly. And what's wrong with cute Pokemon. Do all the strong Pokemon have to be stereotypical "badass" monsters? And I find it funny that people think Fairy beating Dragon makes it OP. Because god forbid that Dragons have to strategise against lesser Mons.

Also, that link is very interesting. Could the 1 vs. Several Pokemon matches be a quicker way to grind?

In reply I'll refer to canon Satoshi Tajiri art which depicts dragonite best
(I bet you purposefully left this one out)
so how about this.

the gen 1 sprites are of low quality and tend to not represent their designs properly [see: koffing]
but you do have a point.

however, the updated art by ken sugimori is also present, and it depicts dragonite cutely, as does the dream world artwork.

old canon < new, updated canon.

(purported) Fletchling evo looks horrendous. Can't make out the "seadragon", and yay a blue Krabby

Looking forward though to gen 6. It really feels like a redesign to the franchise unlike gen 4 to gen 5. Sky Battles!!!! How epic will this be?

OK. MY BODY IS AS READY AS BODY AS REGGIE FOR X AND Y.

/excitement

I actually like Fairy-type being added. I was skeptic at first of how a new type would be implemented, then I thought how old Pokemon could be re-typed which is precisely what they're doing. I find it a tad weird that Clefairy wasn't shown as an example of a Fairy-type. Imagine if somehow GF did NOT make it Fairy-type. Man that'd be a classic trollfreak.

If Fairy-types are indeed immune to dragon and weak to Steel, then this is gonna be cool. I know some dragon-(BAN ME PLEASE) are butthurt and say dragons would be less dominant/fairy would be OP but I highly doubt that. Even if so it's a change in the metagame that we'll have to adapt to, like any change happens. Don't get me wrong I love Dragons, but I also am loving this new Fairy type.

Pokmeon-wise. Noivern looks awesome IMO. This bat-dragon might be part of my Y-team.

Also, if the pokebeach thing about flying/levitating battle is true, then can't wait to see how that works out (ground-based moves are banned? dunno).

So air battles seem to be confirmed... the question is, what's the difference? Are they just battles that happen to be exclusive to pokemon that can fight in the air? Is there some new altitude mechanic involved? Perhaps it's more just for show so that you can have aerial battles during the story.

Gives me an 'other metagame' idea for sea battles. Surf users only, hehe.

agree about fletchling evo being bleh. it looks like it has hideous long-johns on it or something.

edit going by colour i'd say blue!krabby is water/electric, but water/dark or something seems a possibility...

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

This is scarier than my last post.

I have to say, I like almost all of the retypings here. Changing Meloetta's Normal typing to Fairy means that we lose 2 unique type combos, but flavor-wise it makes sense. I thought that Mawile could use a secondary Fairy type, but it could probably stay pure-Steel without too much hassle.

EDIT: I notice that the list of moves is severely lacking in damaging attacks. Aside from the highly exclusive Relic Song and slightly less exclusive Teeter Dance, there aren't any other moves that could be retyped to Fairy, unless there are some other moves not on the list that could be justifiably retconned to the type. That means Gen VI hopefully should introduce a decent number of damaging Fairy moves, aside from the already-shown ones.
I would hate Jirachi losing its steel-type, being immune to Dragon-types instead of just resisting them is very nice, but I do not think this is worth losing the many other resistances that a Steel-type get. This is something that even someone that do not play competitively would want to happen.

Other than that, I like all the new typings, and I hope that they become truth in future.

Remember how dark types made us stop using psychic types? Oh wait...
That's what I am trying to say. You do not imagine how many people are acting like the Fairy-type would be the bane of Dragon-types (and I am not speaking of people on this thread, just to say) - but Dragon-types would still be very good. Unless Fairy-type get a resistance or immunity to Dragon-types, there still will have not much that can stop them from spamming Dragon-type attacks. Even then, as I said pages ago, most Pokémon are still taking neutral damage from Dragon-type attacks, and are still dying to them.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
the gen 1 sprites are of low quality and tend to not represent their designs properly [see: koffing]
but you do have a point.

however, the updated art by ken sugimori is also present, and it depicts dragonite cutely, as does the dream world artwork.

old canon < new, updated canon.
On come on, seriously? low quality? The quality is sufficient enough to convey that BADASS mean expression.

That is a policy change in artwork to remove 'traces of violent behavior' since target audience is children (funny seeing how pokemon involves fighting) and hence all angry expressions were removed. A lot of pokemon lost angry/mean expressions. In fact out of the present 600+ pokemon, none have angry expressions. The closest you'll get is an expressionless gaze given by the likes of Granbull, Stoutland, Staraptor and the likes and Charizard's 'gaze'.

Remember how dark types made us stop using psychic types? Oh wait...
lol Metagross practically doesn't count as an OU poke because its so bad and horribly outclassed. Its only even slightly decent because of its steel type. Espeon is only used for Magic Bounce. Alakazam and Reuniclus have their niche in Magic Guard. The psychic type on its own is not good at all having only two resistances, one of which is to itself. In fact one could even argue that GHOST is superior to psychic in almost every way (both types are weak to ghost and dark, psychic is weak to bug but ghost resists it, ghost trades hitting fighting types SE for an arguably more useful immunity to fighting, psychic hits lol poison but ghost gets a resistance to it, ghost is immune to normal and psychic isn't). The only real advantage psychic has over ghost is access to higher BP moves and resisting itself.

I hope the rumor of psychic resisting fairy is true, because they could really use a buff defensively.

On come on, seriously? low quality? The quality is sufficient enough to convey that BADASS mean expression.

That is a policy change in artwork to remove 'traces of violent behavior' since target audience is children (funny seeing how pokemon involves fighting) and hence all angry expressions were removed. A lot of pokemon lost angry/mean expressions. In fact out of the present 600+ pokemon, none have angry expressions. The closest you'll get is an expressionless gaze given by the likes of Granbull, Stoutland, Staraptor and the likes and Charizard's 'gaze'.

idk man honestly i would think that this is about to tear my fucking throat out but w/e man sure no pokes look angry ok

and yeah it looked angry in that one sprite but it turned adorable in everything else

My only issue with the Fletchling evo is the belly/flank pattern. The rest of the design is fantastic. I love the color of the primaries and crown/crest. Its eyes appear fiery, which is nice because I think this is going to be some sort of fire bird (Nitro Charge). Really need to see an image which is clearer to get a good look at its belly pattern to make a complete judgment. As for the other two - love them. Simple yet full of character.

BUT the big news is the screenshot of Froakie vs. pack of Houndour. Wow. If we can take on packs of enemies with a single of our own, that is going to increase the difficulty, which I'm always for. Perhaps we can finally have proper boss fights. If the legendaries have some "minions" that we have to beat before we capture them, I'd be a happy man.

lol Metagross practically doesn't count as an OU poke because its so bad and horribly outclassed. Its only even slightly decent because of its steel type. Espeon is only used for Magic Bounce. Alakazam and Reuniclus have their niche in Magic Guard. The psychic type on its own is not good at all having only two resistances, one of which is to itself. In fact one could even argue that GHOST is superior to psychic in almost every way (both types are weak to ghost and dark, psychic is weak to bug but ghost resists it, ghost trades hitting fighting types SE for an arguably more useful immunity to fighting, ghost resists poison and immune to normal while psychic isn't). The only real advantage psychic has over ghost is access to higher BP moves and resisting itself.
Yes, these pokemon all have excellent movepools, abilities, and stats. So do all the OU dragons with the exception of Haxorus who's Moldbreaker Earthquake isn't the biggest deal in the world. Dragonite will still have dragon dance and multiscale, Latias will still have levitate and calm mind, and Salamence will still have intimidate and moxie. Psychic types and Dragon types tend to have it pretty well when it comes time to be endowed with tools.

lol Metagross practically doesn't count as an OU poke because its so bad and horribly outclassed. Its only even slightly decent because of its steel type. Espeon is only used for Magic Bounce. Alakazam and Reuniclus have their niche in Magic Guard. The psychic type on its own is not good at all having only two resistances, one of which is to itself. In fact one could even argue that GHOST is superior to psychic in almost every way (both types are weak to ghost and dark, psychic is weak to bug but ghost resists it, ghost trades hitting fighting types SE for an arguably more useful immunity to fighting, psychic hits lol poison but ghost gets a resistance to it, ghost is immune to normal and psychic isn't). The only real advantage psychic has over ghost is access to higher BP moves and resisting itself.

I hope the rumor of psychic resisting fairy is true, because they could really use a buff defensively.
Did you honestly just say Metagross is terrible? Base 135 Attack, 130 Defense. STAB Bullet Punch coming off that attack stat. Rethink your statement.

Could we call it Lunar type? As a Dragon type trainer getting defeated by fairies doesn't sit too well with me. On the other hand, I'm all for a balanced metagame and new types are always good.

Poison must be SE against Fairy type or they might as well cancel it.
well...what usuall happens to dragons in fairytales?

they die! A lot!

So I think dragons should be pretty used to being screwed over by fairy(tales) by now.

That being said, is anyone else really looking forward to OKOing fairy-type Blissey with GUNK SHOT?

edit: aso I believe the new lobster pokemon is a freshwater redclaw yabbie (australian crayfish thinger)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)