Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong- I am all for Litleo having a Fire/Poison evolution. More than most, in fact. But still, I gotta point out a little flaw in that logic- if Pokémon don't just get extra Normal typings just cause, then what was the reasoning behind Deerling being Normal/Grass, as opposed to pure Grass, or Girafarig being Normal/Psychic instead of pure Psychic?
And for that matter, Bibarel being Normal/Watter instead of getting the Azurill/Marill treatment.

But I think Littleo will become Poison/Fire. It seems like a natural transformation, almost like Swablu becoming a dragon upon evolving into Altaria or Surskit going from water to flying upon evolving itself.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
This assumes the changes make it to multiplayer

The demonstration matches we've seen never seem to have any of this happen, even the latest one.
Well yes, but my point was that if for some odd reason, the Pokemon Amie boosts make it to multiplayer, Smogon would probably ban it under Evasion Clause.

Plus, you can never be absolutely sure right now.

Why would it evolve to fire/poison? It's already a fire/normal type. I imagine it's evo will be based off Mufasa from the Lion King
People thinkin that because of the tail. Anyway i agree it probably won't happen.

If we get a mufasa evo (or any decent lion evo for that matters) I could die happy (especially if it could gain some OU usage)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Don't get me wrong- I am all for Litleo having a Fire/Poison evolution. More than most, in fact. But still, I gotta point out a little flaw in that logic- if Pokémon don't just get extra Normal typings just cause, then what was the reasoning behind Deerling being Normal/Grass, as opposed to pure Grass, or Girafarig being Normal/Psychic instead of pure Psychic?
Thing is, Normal as a secondary typing (not the main one) hasn't been done before. Both Deerling and Girafarig have Normal as their main typing, and thus I can use the exact same logic: Why don't Helioptile or Litleo have Normal as their main typing?

Does the "primary type" actually do anything different than the secondary type? The way I see it, a dual-typed pokemon gets use from both its types equally. Such as tentacruel; the water type lets it work better in rain, and the poison type lets it absorb toxic spikes. I just don't think that having litleo's normal and fire typings listed before and after each other matter when deciding if it will have an evolution of a different type.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Does the "primary type" actually do anything different than the secondary type? The way I see it, a dual-typed pokemon gets use from both its types equally. Such as tentacruel; the water type lets it work better in rain, and the poison type lets it absorb toxic spikes. I just don't think that having litleo's normal and fire typings listed before and after each other matter when deciding if it will have an evolution of a different type.
Generally speaking, a Pokémon is much more likely to change its secondary type upon evolution than its primary type. Other than that, there is no significance to the order of a Pokémon's types.

So Fairy is neutral against Psychic. There goes the rumor
I don't understand posts like this
"Well this one thing is wrong/partially wrong ENTIRE RUMOR OUT THE WINDOW" despite all the other things it gets right (& re: type match up got 2 officially correct and a third likely correct)

Even if that's not what you specifically meant, I've seen it several times over the past so and so many months in a more earnest context.

So Fairy is neutral against Psychic. There goes the rumor
I would just like to take this opportunity to remind you all that despite the Pokebeach rumor being wrong about Psychic resisting Fairy, it was not wrong about, and this is just off the top of my head...

-The English names, type combinations, and very existences of Pangoro, Inkay, and Malamar.
-Sky Battles.
-Greater visibility of EVs and minigames to boost them.
-Mewtwo's new form requiring an item to activate.
-The Fairy type being super effective against Dragon and not very effective against Fire.
-Sylveon and Mawile being Fairy-types.
-There even being a Fairy-type in the first place.
-The first Gym being Bug.
-The English names of Gogoat, Pancham, Helioptile, and Fletchling.
-Professor Sycamore
-Draining Kiss's English name, type, and effect.

So yeah.

Last edited:
I don't understand posts like this
"Well this one thing is wrong/partially wrong ENTIRE RUMOR OUT THE WINDOW" despite all the other things it gets right (& re: type match up got 2 officially correct and a third likely correct)

Even if that's not what you specifically meant, I've seen it several times over the past so and so many months in a more earnest context.
I only meant the Psychic part, and from now the chance of Fairy being immune to Dragon is just less probable. Which I still obviously hope to be true.
There's also the possibility of Gamefreak changing the type match-ups since february (was is february?) and in time for the official guide to write them down correctly.

Someone who starts out with hostility isn't generally met with rainbows and sunshine. You started off by essentially attacking everyone who has a different viewpoint than you. It stands to reason that people would take offense.
That wasn't hostility; I was being sarcastic.

I even clarified what I was saying in the following post. If I had said "you're all mindless idiots", which is a statement, then I would have to agree.

If it sounded like there was more to it than sarcasm, it is probably because I am quite tired of people in my generation and those slightly younger than mine buying things and then complaining about them, when they knew that there was a chance of the product being inferior or poorly advertized to begin with.

We're consumers, and it seems like our generation(s) are prone to forgetting that these days. As consumers, we decide whether or not a sold product sells well or fails, whether it's a new video game, a car, a backpack, or a toothbrush. If we don't like something about the product, and we care enough about it to want it to change, then we shouldn't buy it. If enough people do just that, then change will probably happen.

On topic...

I like this Pokemon Amie thing...my other main hobby is caring for my small collection of reptiles and amphibians, and so being able to interact more with your creatures pleases me.

However, I don't want the effect it has on battle to wind up being unpredictable. I'm fine with what they have announced so far, but there needs to be balance. I don't care how "awesome" the new features are if they negatively impact the battle mechanics and/or the metagame.

On topic...

I like this Pokemon Amie thing...my other main hobby is caring for my small collection of reptiles and amphibians, and so being able to interact more with your creatures pleases me.

However, I don't want the effect it has on battle to wind up being unpredictable. I'm fine with what they have announced so far, but there needs to be balance. I don't care how "awesome" the new features are if they negatively impact the battle mechanics and/or the metagame.
I thought you were quitting?

I thought you were quitting?
If you re-read my posts, you will see a pattern.

The pattern is: "If gamefreak ignores the current balance issues and power creep, I might stop playing."

There's not that much to it, people. I'm unhappy with the current state of the metagame, and would like to see things evened out a bit, so that there's more variety in each tier, and maybe fewer tiers altogether. I'm surprised that I haven't seen other people voice the same opinion, because I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want more variety in the tiers to freshen things up.

I didn't mean for this to derail the thread. If you want to talk to me some more, send me a PM.

The pattern is: "If gamefreak ignores the current balance issues and power creep, I might stop playing."

There's not that much to it, people. I'm unhappy with the current state of the metagame, and would like to see things evened out a bit, so that there's more variety in each tier, and maybe fewer tiers altogether. I'm surprised that I haven't seen other people voice the same opinion, because I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want more variety in the tiers to freshen things up.

I didn't mean for this to derail the thread. If you want to talk to me some more, send me a PM.
Probably because there's not even remotely enough known about Gen 6 to know what the tiers will even be like and nothing suggests there won't be variety either.

I agree with your points. I'm definitely concerned about balance. No one here wants the metagame unbalanced. But as scitz0phrenic pointed out, right now, we haven't even scratched the surface of Pokemon X and Y. We can only discuss very objectively the minute details game freak revealed, but we can't arrive at large conclusions that the game is unbalanced before even unraveling 100% of the mechanics. Wait 2-3 Months after October 12th, and then we can even begin to come to conclusions about impacts to the metagame. I wanna try the game first before deciding whether or not I enjoy it.

If it's not balanced, we will make it balanced. Minimize Starmie, if you think about it, would be the death of many. But we have an Evasion Clause to cover that. Venusaur under the Sun could cripple at least half the team with Sleep Powder and its natural bulk. And we have Sleep Clause to cover that. While Smogon is picked at for "banning" things, the bans actually make the Metagame more balanced and actually "competitive".

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Game Freak balances for their official metagame, which is VGC Doubles. Sure they might make a couple tweaks directly related to singles here and there, but for the most part they don't care much about single battles. With the possible (but unlikely) exception of a couple Pokemon, VGC is a completely balanced metagame, and Nintendo likely intends for it to stay that way.

evasion boosts and increased chances for critical hits are probably not as bad some people make it out to be. GF has probably done some majpr tweaking to inaccurate moves to compensate. Also, crits are probably reduced in power in order to make up for the increase in frequency.

News to me, actually

Has anyone actually done anything because I don't think you can even find specific files that easily
I havent tried it out yet for the 3DS but I do it on the 360 all the time. It takes a little digging and a specific program but its not difficult to find the saves then modify them.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey you know what other popular in-game mechanic hasn't been transferred to the competitive player scene by GF?

items

Wonder Launcher aside lets avoid assuming we know exactly what is going in until we have the game in our hands and can test these new mechanics.

ALSO: If Nintendo implements the same digital save system that Animal Crossing New Leaf has for digital versions we can all say gg because it makes a random number based on when you saved along with a few other buffers. If the edited save file doesn't have the matching code your file gets erased.

Hey you know what other popular in-game mechanic hasn't been transferred to the competitive player scene by GF?

items

Wonder Launcher aside lets avoid assuming we know exactly what is going in until we have the game in our hands and can test these new mechanics.

ALSO: If Nintendo implements the same digital save system that Animal Crossing New Leaf has for digital versions we can all say gg because it makes a random number based on when you saved along with a few other buffers. If the edited save file doesn't have the matching code your file gets erased.
by that logic you may as well lock this thread because there's nothing else "tangible" to discuss. It's not wild speculation, just an educated guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)