Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single time we go more than 2 days without new information like 5 people always come in and say WE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DISCUSS (WHEN WILL COROCORO LEAK NEXT)

and yet mysteriously the thread continues to live until the next batch of information.
"continues to live" with second-rate discussion not really complimentary to the main point? Speculations hit close to Unconfirmed Rumors, which is also not allowed. And repeating things already discussed is also not encouraged. Either locking the thread until feasible info is revealed or loosening the rules to allow for discussion of good speculation(s) seems like the best option here.

Last edited:
In regards to the 'theme' of the game, a lot of people seem to think that genetics will be the a large part of the story. I disagree, although I could be wrong.

I personally think that XY (and possibly Z) would be a reference to the axis on a graph. These are the first 3D games, so having the 3D axis would be quite clever in my opinion. This could mean that the fact the games are 3D could actually take a part in the storyline - a storyline that Gamefreak has kept very quiet about so far. I guess if my theory is correct then there could be other reasons for an axis name.

Another piece of evidence that could back up this is that Yvonne is a female, and wouldn't have a Y chromosome.

I just think that counting on a genetics theme and hoping for better breeding systems, being able to see IVs, etc is overly optimistic, and Gamefreak hasn't really made any hints to prove/disprove the genetics theory.

I believe that this has been discussed elsewhere on the Internet, however as far as I am aware it has not been discussed here.

In regards to the 'theme' of the game, a lot of people seem to think that genetics will be the a large part of the story. I disagree, although I could be wrong.

I personally think that XY (and possibly Z) would be a reference to the axis on a graph. These are the first 3D games, so having the 3D axis would be quite clever in my opinion. This could mean that the fact the games are 3D could actually take a part in the storyline - a storyline that Gamefreak has kept very quiet about so far. I guess if my theory is correct then there could be other reasons for an axis name.

Another piece of evidence that could back up this is that Yvonne is a female, and wouldn't have a Y chromosome.

I just think that counting on a genetics theme and hoping for better breeding systems, being able to see IVs, etc is overly optimistic, and Gamefreak hasn't really made any hints to prove/disprove the genetics theory.

I believe that this has been discussed elsewhere on the Internet, however as far as I am aware it has not been discussed here.
Well, mostly the genetics thingy came from the DNA part of the Japenese logo, but it seems it is just there for the megaevolutions.

The Megaevos, actually, remind me of the "Ultimate" forms of the aliens in Ben 10: Ultimate Alien. Pretty cool coincidence, at least for me who loved thst show.

Well, at first, I thought that genetics would be a major part of the story. Especially when the colors are blue and seemed to be pinkish. Those two colors usually associated with male and female gender but I ignored it after I realized the colors are swapped. I think most people have now come to the conclusion that it has to do with coordinates. X,Y, and Z being the coordinates for the three dimensions. Another point for this is because the game is based on France and a french man created the idea of the coordinate planes and axes.

I wouldn't look too much into the whole "X and Y = ???" thing. There isn't much precedence for the names to have any meaning anyway: in almost every generation, the name is just something to do with the box pokemon (e.g. Diamond - Dialga, Red - Charizard). In Black and White there was a slightly bigger meaning, to do with yin-yang/good-evil etc but that's not really enough to prove that X and Y mean something in these games. X and Y are probably just referencing Xerneas and Yveltal.

I wouldn't look too much into the whole "X and Y = ???" thing. There isn't much precedence for the names to have any meaning anyway: in almost every generation, the name is just something to do with the box pokemon (e.g. Diamond - Dialga, Red - Charizard). In Black and White there was a slightly bigger meaning, to do with yin-yang/good-evil etc but that's not really enough to prove that X and Y mean something in these games. X and Y are probably just referencing Xerneas and Yveltal.
Seconding this. If someone can explain to me what Sapphire has to do with the ocean or Diamond has to do with time, I'd appreciate it. The names are almost always chosen in relation to the legends and in a way that sounds good. Rarely is the actually story indicated by them.

Seconding this. If someone can explain to me what Sapphire has to do with the ocean or Diamond has to do with time, I'd appreciate it. The names are almost always chosen in relation to the legends and in a way that sounds good. Rarely is the actually story indicated by them.
Sapphire is the color of the ocean of which Kyogre is king, and diamonds are largely unaffected by time so it would make sense for something using time as an attack to not be affected by itself.

Nintendo has also announced that demoes of Pokémon X & Pokémon Y will be available across the US in the Nintendo Experience Tour. These demoes will be identical to those in the Pokémon Game Show and Gamescom recently. The locations are
Detroit - Briarwood Mall | Macy’s Corridor - August 31st/September 1st
Indianapolis - Castleton Square | Center Court - September 8th/9th
Chicago Orland Square | Upper Caron's Court - September 14th
Chicago - Woodfield Mall | Grand Court - September 15th
Milwaukee - Southridge Mall | Center Court - September 21st/22nd
Minnesota - Southdale Center | Center Court - September 25th
Kansas City - Independence Center | Lower Level Dilliard's Court - September 28th/29th
Tulsa - Woodland Hills Mall | Dilliard's Court - October 2nd
Dallas - Grapevine Mills | Entry 2 - October 5th/6th
Houston - Houston Galleria | Galleria IV in front of Adidas - October 12th/13th
Denver - Colorado Mills | Food Court - October 16th
Tempe - Arizona Mills | Food Court or Saks Court - October 19th/20th
San Francisco - Great Mall | Grand Court - October 26th
San Francisco - Stroneridge Shopping Center | Grand Court - October 27th
Los Angeles - Brea Mall | Lower Level Center Court - November 2nd
Los Angeles Del Amo Fashion Center | Lower Level JoAnn's Court November 3rd

Until Next Time, S
Cool! The Chicago one is 5 minutes from me! Time to do some personal testing, I'm going all out guys

Sapphire is the color of the ocean of which Kyogre is king, and diamonds are largely unaffected by time so it would make sense for something using time as an attack to not be affected by itself.
Rubies are said to represent heat and power
Emeralds are apparently mentioned biblically with the idea of apocalypses and in many cultures represent rebirth and ultimate godly power.

The only one that seems off is that sapphires are typically connected to clear skies in lore, but the deep blue sea connection is made sometimes.

Also yea diamonds are masters of time(diamonds are timeless, diamond are forever are common sayings) like Dialga and pearls are the only gemstone-like thing that is created by a creature so it makes sense to go with Palkia.

Well, based on looks alone, I predict that Xerneas will be defensive, since it looks like a guardian of some sort.
I have two possble ideas. I can agree with you and see Xerneas has high HP, Def, and Sp Def while Yveltal is high Atk, SpAtk and Spd. Or, Xerneas will have increase Sp Def and Sp Atk while Yveltal has increase Atk and Def.

I have two possble ideas. I can agree with you and see Xerneas has high HP, Def, and Sp Def while Yveltal is high Atk, SpAtk and Spd. Or, Xerneas will have increase Sp Def and Sp Atk while Yveltal has increase Atk and Def.
I see yveltal having godly attack, high special attack, decent defense, and the standard base 95 speed.

how long does it take to compile some kind of in-game tier list? Would we have something by Christmastime or is that wishful thinking?

Aren't tiers mostly just based off usage? At the very least you'd have usage statistics a month after the new sim is playable. When is the new sim playable? Yeah... we know nothing about what has changed, and I don't think people have reached the point of being able to peek into inner parts of 3DS games yet so I think it's gonna take quite a bit of time to figure things out.

Aren't tiers mostly just based off usage? At the very least you'd have usage statistics a month after the new sim is playable. When is the new sim playable? Yeah... we know nothing about what has changed, and I don't think people have reached the point of being able to peek into inner parts of 3DS games yet so I think it's gonna take quite a bit of time to figure things out.
no I mean in-game tiers, like which mons are best to use in your playthrough

no I mean in-game tiers, like which mons are best to use in your playthrough
November/December is probably a good estimate for an "okay" tier list. By then the game's probably been beaten several times, we know more about the new Pokemon, who is better than who at what area/gym, etc

And then it, too, can join the BW2 tier list in the never ending tiering and retiering and tier tier tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)