Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they don't go too far w/ the 3D graphics. 3D is nice, but the DS isn't known for it's 3D graphics. Wii does a much better job of it. Just look at PBR. When you play the game, the graphics are really good(not on youtube, because it looks better when your looking at PBR first hand).

Yeah, I wouldn't want full 3D graphics. Maybe only in battles, but even then, they'd be blocky and nothing good to look at.

Yeah, I wouldn't want full 3D graphics. Maybe only in battles, but even then, they'd be blocky and nothing good to look at.
Defiantly NOT in Battles. thats the wost possible place they could put them. 600+ 3D models would be take up too much space; they would have to be very low quality just to fit. besides, I like sprites.

Defiantly NOT in Battles. thats the wost possible place they could put them. 600+ 3D models would be take up too much space; they would have to be very low quality just to fit. besides, I like sprites.
Well, it would make more sense for the 3D to be only in battles rather than everything else.

Though, to be honest, I like it how it is now. The overworld style they introduced in D/P/Plat should stay because they are still very graphically appealing.

While the battle style is getting a bit old, it's still fine.

what id like to see is the pokemon move with the moves. like, for example, when tangrowth uses vine whip, his sprite quickly changes to show him whipping his arms. not sure how it would work for thing that dont make sense though, like wooper with ice punch

In the instances like wooper w/ Ice Punch, they don't have to show it actually "punch" but it could move with the attack animation.

And they could do 3D battles. They have. Having the Pokemon 3D is a bad idea, but the attacks have been 3D since DP were released.

Any speculation on the storyline/legendaries? I'm guessing a space theme. Mainly because they've done most earthly entities and in the last generation delved into space/time slightly. In the Arceus movie Arceus nearly died protecting the Earth from asteroids, knowing the show, this was probably as a result of some Pokemon or another. Also the counterpart previous generation to this game would be gen three (Like how HG/SS was counterpart to Gen4, and FR/LG was counterpart to RSE) which had that launch site in Mossdeep which did little to nothing in the actual game, not to mention Jirachi/Deoxys as the legendaries.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that though.

As I said earlyer in this thread, I don't think the legendaries will be anything special. It's probably going to be like Red, Blue, and Green, where the legends had no special powers, but are just twice as powerful as a normal Pokemon, and have a strange and enigmatic back-story that is tied into the main storyline.

But that space theme is an excellent idea! I would love to see them do something like that. But I doubt they will, seeing as RSE (although barely) touched into space. They could do something like w/ Pikmin (a random but fun series for the Gamecube) where your aon a new planet and discover all sorts of new creatures.

God this is a long thread

I was thinking of going on a rant about how pointless this thread is and how we should all just wait for the darn game to come out but instead i will join in on the fun:toast:.

I just want to bring back up the water/ghost mix as it could be the evo of luvdisk and be a sign of broken hearts,dead relationships,etc,etc.

->:heart:<- He will be poked to death.

They're not going to let you turn off IV's, or abolish them in anyway, shape or form. That is very much just a Smogon opinion because a lot, if not all of you use Shoddy and have no need for IV's anyway. They are an important aspect of the game, so they will not be removing them, they may change them (this is also unlikely because they'll want to keep the fans happy with backwards compatibility).

Also turning off critical hits, and secondary battle effects would make the game insanely dull, not to mention make Honchkrow and Absols abilities worthless. They're annoying when they happen to you, but when you get one they're great and seeing two identical Pokémon doing identical damage to each other would just be painful if it happened all the time, you need that added spice as luck is a big part of Pokémon too.

I see this IV argument here a lot on Smogon and you all think it's great because you are more competitive players and only use max stats or shoddy, but you see similar ridiculous claims on less competitive sites too. Like changing the battle system from turn based to real time. Both statements are as bad as each other because you're both wanting to change a fundamental part of the Pokémon game. They want to change how the game plays, and want a more spin-offy 'Pokémon Rumble' feel to the game, which would be a disaster. But you want to take away your Pokémons origionality. I know that sounds like a silly thing to hold onto in a game, but not everyone is into, or as into competitive battling as some of the users here. So the feeling your Feraligatr is better than someone else Feraligatr and actually getting to battle and see there differences is an important aspect to the less competitive side of the Pokémon fan base.

Dream Boat Dixon, I wouldn't say that Smogon doesn't care about IV's. Have you even seen the wifi forum? Or have we just been RNG researching for nothing?

haunter

Banned deucer.
I know that sounds like a silly thing to hold onto in a game, but not everyone is into, or as into competitive battling as some of the users here. So the feeling your Feraligatr is better than someone else Feraligatr and actually getting to battle and see there differences is an important aspect to the less competitive side of the Pokémon fan base.
Yeah, it sounds quite silly, to be honest. If your Feraligatr is better than someonelse's then probably you just have more time to breed Pkm or RNG abuse them, it's not like you being a better trainer. Breeding\resetting for IVs is just extremely boring and involves no skills (RNG abuse does, but that's another story). Turning off IVs while introducing a new, faster, and luck-less based, method of getting the desired hidden powers would make WiFi accessible to everyone, included people who have no time to spend breeding Pkm\soft resetting for them, and are just interested in the competitive aspect of Pokemon.

As I said earlier in this thread, Legendaries representing 'Life' and 'Death' would be something new. It may not be space but could be looked at as 'Spiritual entities' or 'Otherwordly Deitys'

Heck, maybe Lavender Town might play some sort of role with this :P

As for typing...Death could be Dark or Ghost/Dragon (said Dark since it's a unique typing) and Life could be....eh Electric/Dragon (Electric's the closest thing I can think that's 'Light')

Unless they make an actual 'Light' Type.....who knows though, and if anything I doubt it.

Aside from this...hmm Yea beefing up Golduck by having another evolution would solve that problem of having a cool Cloud Nine sweeper to use, but I still say that maybe GF could add 1 or 2 more Cloud Nine Pokes as well so the 'EvoDuck' won't be the only one in this department.

Speaking of evolutions..I don't doubt that they'll be more evolutions for older gen pokes..

I mean, Farfetch'd needs one...LORD Dunsparce as well. (Oh and just for lawls since she was pretty beastly in RSY, let's give Jynx an evolution and bring back the Luna build!! xD). Adding more Pokes that also evolve through the use of Dusk/Shiny Stones would also be nice since it just got recently introduced in DPPt. (As for Oval Stone....I dunno)

Also..a random idea aside from that Fog weather effect move..a poison weather effect that acts like Hail as it hurts other Pokes except Poison and Steel (and those with Cloud Nine xD) and um..maybe has some sort of effect like increasing all chances of inflicting poison by a certain amount. This might make Toxic broken..so maybe it can be made to just up the percentage on standard poison.

Also, if more weather induced moves are created, maybe Castform will have more eh..forms? xD

Kecleon IMO could be a beast if it does get an Evolution xD .

Okay that last one was random..I could've said something about eeveelutions but my thoughts about that was already mentioned lol.

As I've said before, IV's aren't the problem, it's the statistics of it.

A perfect Pokemon is 1/1,073,741,824 If I calculated it right. More importantly though, the range is too high. Make the IV range 3-18. Make it based off of multiple RNG rolls/individual stat, not 1 32 sided dice with a minimum of 0. That spread is ridiculous. Make it roll that twice and pick the best roll. There are so many ways IV's could be determined in a more stable and useful way.

I'd like to see a pokemon that induced gravity or trick room. The problem would be that even if its stats were crap, it would pretty much become Uber, by virtue of being broken. I see these as the possible legendaries in the next generation.

Failing that, I'd like to see an item that expands the effect of using gravity or trick room. If it was just for 6 turns, it would be much better in 1v1 play.

I doubt that IVs will be removed simply because they've been present since gen I, the most that could happen in my opinion would be for there to be a new way of determining IVs.

Like changing the battle system from turn based to real time. Both statements are as bad as each other because you're both wanting to change a fundamental part of the Pokémon game. They want to change how the game plays, and want a more spin-offy 'Pokémon Rumble' feel to the game, which would be a disaster.
Real time battles are something that could be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, depending on how it's implemented.

A system like that in the older Final Fantasy games would work, but probably require substantial reworking of the stat system - if speed determines how often you move, then slow Pokemon probably need a significant defensive buff to be usable (though maybe the speed could be done logarithmically or something, so ten times the stat only means you get turns twice as fast say).

Something like an RTS could work too. Attacks would have range and area of effect as well as power, type, and physical/special, which gives more room for more distinctive attacks. Perhaps you'd be using all 6 Pokemon at once, or maybe fewer. (6 at once does mean gaining first KO is a massive advantage). It would probably end up being a very fast-paced game, without the time to think we have currently - some might say such pace requires more battling skill.

You could have it playing like an FPS, or an action RPG.

All these ideas could be made to work extremely well. They could also all be screwed up big time. And they would all be very different to the Pokemon we know - but being different doesn't mean bad, and doesn't mean it would kill Smogon or competitive battling (though it might mean the demise of simulators).

Of course, I doubt Game Freak would have the guts to make such a huge change in a main series game.

EDIT:
Ferrouswheel said:
I'd like to see a pokemon that induced gravity or trick room. The problem would be that even if its stats were crap, it would pretty much become Uber, by virtue of being broken. I see these as the possible legendaries in the next generation.
Permanent Gravity probably wouldn't be broken. Permanent Trick Room might be, but a non-trick room team does have three ways to answer it - carry some slow Pokemon anyway, use priority attacks, or carry a user of the move to get rid of the effect.

And because I like repeating myself, pokemon Tactics. A side game where you can transfer your pokemon from the main series game to a Turnbased tactical RPG like Final Fantasy tactics would be the best game ever.

I've always wanted to be able to trade with the Mystery Dungeon series.

But maybe something different would be cool. Something compatible with the main series, with a different style of play, set in the main series' past, being also more story heavy than the main series.

This is at Hunter and Bearsfan. You both missed the point entirely about what I was trying to say. I wasn't talking about the Competitive community, I was talking about everyone else who plays the game. People who don't know or care about RNG abuse who just pick up the games to play with there friends. Casual gamers. That was the beauty of Pokémon as a game, even if your friends had the same Pokémon as you, you would know yours was different to theres.

Now, Hunter, I can see what you mean about abolishing them, but you're still only looking at the competitive players. It wasn't until DPPt that I started playing Pokémon competitively, so it wasn't until this gen that I started to breed, look more into IV's and eventually start RNGing. But before all that (previous gens and early gen 4) I just played with a few friends for fun. Now a lot of people still play the game like that. They breed for egg moves, not for IV's. The best example I can think of for this from my own experience is in Ruby, when I caught my Rayquaza. Now my friend caught his at the same time, they were the same nature and we raced to get ours to level 100 battling the same trainers. When we got them to the same level we noticed quite a few differences. Mine was quite a bit stronger, and that was such a great feeling at the time to know that it was mine and not his and I had a stronger one. That is the point I keep trying to make, it's what makes Pokémon stand out from any other game of its kind. It's that feeling that they are yours and only yours.

Some of the other game play styles would potentially work really well, but I think they're much better off being left to spin-offs. My biggest concern for a FF style of play would be that things that are used for there bulk would become redundant because if they weren't fast enough to get a hit in, even just status, it would result in only the fasted Pokémon being used. I don't think it's anything to do with guts with Gamefreak not changing the dynamics of the game play, I think it's just them being clever. They know what works, and anything they want to try out they'll add to the game, but not as the main focus.

I think they just need to seriously re-think how the story plays out, so it's not just the same thing we've seen for the past 15 years. I think we saw touches of them doing stuff like that with Platinum though. Although it's still 8 badges blah blah blah they did introduce the distortion world. Which was a hit, so I can see similar, or equally adventurous things ahead. Also, I read earlier about Spacemon etc. That could be a key part of the game maybe? Think how the distortion world plays, but hopping across rock fragments surrounded by clefairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)