Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only pokemon I'd EVER hope for a better healing move than Recover is Vespiquen. It'd be decent, maybe even BL if Heal Order gave Rest-like health without drawbacks, but until then, Vespis will be using Roost.

To the guys still bothering with type matchups, what is Psychic weak to? Bug, Dark and Ghost. What do they have in common? They are irrational fears

To the guys still bothering with type matchups, what is Psychic weak to? Bug, Dark and Ghost. What do they have in common? They are irrational fears
If there actually were ghosts, as there are in Pokemon, then fear of ghosts wouldn't be irrational. And don't forget that Dark is Evil in Japan, and fear of evil is not exactly a irrational fear. And bugs can be poisonous, but yeah, bugs aren't scary unless you include spiders under the definition of bugs, or the bug is ON YOUR FACE!

another thing for the 5th generations that would be great; you could see and manage the EV points of yours pokemon. No more specific pokemon gives you hp or attack points. every pokemon gives you points that you manually alocate to the stats you want

another thing for the 5th generations that would be great; you could see and manage the EV points of yours pokemon. No more specific pokemon gives you hp or attack points. every pokemon gives you points that you manually alocate to the stats you want
I like this idea a lot (perhaps with an option added in to allocate them later instead of being forced to choose right after the battle).

It would have to be an option got after doing a certain side quest, though. The average player wouldn't care, but a decent one could easily break the game if you could do that right off the bat.

I agree that EVs and IVs should just appear in the stats screen, no more subtle mechanics.
And yes, allocating EVs could be pretty great.

there are already items that make you gain certain stat EV's, though. (depending on which item you have held) being able to choose which EV to train without an item would be useful, if only because you could then use a Macho Brace to raise the amount of EV's you get. alternately, they could include some sort of training ground where you can battle trainers with Pokemon that give certain EV's; they could divide the trainers into different arenas that focus on certain EV's. (one for HP, one for Attack, etc) that way you don't have to go out and find Pokemon that give the EV's you want.

I've thought of a prediction, based on events in Platinum. (Maybe in DP also but I haven't played them).

A younger Cynthia will play a role in the storyline of Gen5. Possibly that of rival.

This is based on the fact that in Platinum, Cynthia mentions she went on 'a Pokedex quest'. That hasn't happened in any previous game, so I think it could be picked up on in Gen 5.

The corollary of that is that Gen 5 will take place chronologically before Gen 4. If Cynthia in Gen 5 is a similar age to the usual age of players and rivals, Gen 5 would be before Gen 3 too, perhaps substantially so.

Such a timing - say, a decade or more before Gen 4, opens up another plot possibility, which if taken up would I think be brilliant - Gen 5 could explore the youth of Cyrus. It's been hinted at in DPPt; Cyrus certainly has more backstory than any of the other team leaders, and there's opportunity to really develop that.
(Though a time drastically earlier than Gen 3 does create issues with when the Pokedex was invented.)

In turn, that gives the game a strong relationship with Sinnoh - fitting considering Gen 5 is on the same console as DPPt. They could even do like GSC and include the new region AND Sinnoh - in which case possible locations for the new region are north of the Battle Zone, west of Lake Verity (though that's suspected to be where Almia is), or of course on a separate landmass.

Hi, all, just thought I would stop by and post my two cents.

I believe that either this game, or even the generation after will have to start with a completely knew story line, I mean, same old thing in terms of find gym leader badge, and so forth, but the exception being there are no ties to another game.

AKA
National pokedex: yes
Bill saying he has friend x that lives in Hoenn: no

Pretty much start a whole new series without a clear back story. Now that I think about it, the likelihood of this is slim, but I think it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The only problem with cantab's idea is... the Spike-Eared Pichu. It came from the future, with Celebi. Now, why would they tease us with such a pokémon if it weren't to bring it back the following generation?

The only problem with cantab's idea is... the Spike-Eared Pichu. It came from the future, with Celebi. Now, why would they tease us with such a pokémon if it weren't to bring it back the following generation?
Meanieness.

No really... how will you bring the Spike-Eared Pichu over? What is really the point of the spikey-Eared Pichu other than for collectors and completionists?

It'd be really cool to see the 'prequel' idea and would allow for more story developments.

I'd really be up for Chao/Friendship/Interaction based minigames for gen 5. It'd give more reasons to play the game after beating it and more playability beyond the metagame. Though they should never allow 'hardcore' simumlations that make it tedious.

I've thought of a prediction, based on events in Platinum. (Maybe in DP also but I haven't played them).

A younger Cynthia will play a role in the storyline of Gen5. Possibly that of rival.

This is based on the fact that in Platinum, Cynthia mentions she went on 'a Pokedex quest'. That hasn't happened in any previous game, so I think it could be picked up on in Gen 5.

The corollary of that is that Gen 5 will take place chronologically before Gen 4. If Cynthia in Gen 5 is a similar age to the usual age of players and rivals, Gen 5 would be before Gen 3 too, perhaps substantially so.

Such a timing - say, a decade or more before Gen 4, opens up another plot possibility, which if taken up would I think be brilliant - Gen 5 could explore the youth of Cyrus. It's been hinted at in DPPt; Cyrus certainly has more backstory than any of the other team leaders, and there's opportunity to really develop that.
(Though a time drastically earlier than Gen 3 does create issues with when the Pokedex was invented.)

In turn, that gives the game a strong relationship with Sinnoh - fitting considering Gen 5 is on the same console as DPPt. They could even do like GSC and include the new region AND Sinnoh - in which case possible locations for the new region are north of the Battle Zone, west of Lake Verity (though that's suspected to be where Almia is), or of course on a separate landmass.
I really like this idea. I honestly can't remember where I read it, whether it's just speculation or was actually said, about Gen V having a darker feel to the game but if that were true, it would work in with your theory oh so well. You build up yourself while watching the conflicts between Cyrus coming to terms with who he is, and Cynthia coming to terms with who she is. The pure vs the twisted. But as a story it could work especially well by not just branding Cyrus a criminal, instead showing us him in a deeper level.
It would also negate the need for another Team ____ because I could imagine Cyrus, trying to enforce his views, thinking he's doing it for the greater good. Which would cause enough conflict for the main protagonist. Possibly with the whole thing culminating with an encounter with a legendary Pokémon (because you know they're going to integrate it into the story anyway) which gives Cyrus "hope" for his future and sets the theme for Gen 4.
As for continuity and shit. I think if it did have Sinnoh in it, a joint league like in Johto would work. That way you can see younger versions of the older league members, and the new (old) champion being a young Palmer.

I think that would be incredibly cool and deep new aspect to a Pokémon game and story wise, it's the FanTheory I like the most.

Edit: also, I thought the Spikey-Pichu was from the past?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Edit: also, I thought the Spikey-Pichu was from the past?
Well, according to Bulbapedia:

If taken to Professor Elm, it is revealed that she has traveled through time with Celebi. Elm claims that he and Professor Oak were researching the time travel abilities of Celebi, and claims that this Pichu proves his main theory. He adds that the reason it cannot evolve is because it has been time traveling for so long. He will then call all the Pokémon Center attendants to prevent Spiky-Eared Pichu from being used in trades.
It doesn't say a thing about it coming from either the past or the future. However, I'm pretty sure Serebii said it was from the future... Well, I guess we'd to see the event in HGSS to confirm.

I think/hope time travel will be a component of this game, maybe I've mentioned that here before. They've been hinting at it a lot, and going back to a prehistoric world with wild fossil Pokemon and tons of dinosaur Pokemon would be awesome.

you can rape cynthia

no, seriously, I like the idea of making the story darker, team rocket was just common thieves, team aqua and magma were just hyperactive ecoterrists, team galactic wanted to destroy the world to take it over. while not pure evil, because it is for a good cause, id love to see them make it e10+, then they could make it darker and harder. And in the new generation, other than a few obvious things, like gyrados, zubat, and pikachu, id like to see only the new guys or old guys and their evos in the regional pokedex. and the new DS3, which this may be on, has backward compatibility with the DS, which means no worry of new 200 metagame. But 600+ might be a bit much

Making it E10+ would be really bad for Nintendo, they would lose a lot of money from that (I think). Anyways, I'm hoping that some Pokemon like Zubat, Geodude, Tentacool, and Magikarp won't be in the regional dex and will have new Pokemon to replace them at being really common.

mayby this time they'll change evolution to developing, i know several paranoid christians whos moms won't let them play it because of the word evolution. it wouldn't be that hard of a change, and would probably get them a few more customers

mayby this time they'll change evolution to developing, i know several paranoid christians whos moms won't let them play it because of the word evolution. it wouldn't be that hard of a change, and would probably get them a few more customers
If they did this, I wouldn't buy it out of spite.

It is evolution, after all, the pokemon change species, not just characteristics.

About the spikey ear Pichu, and Arceus and the jewel of life (Spoilers):

Wasn't it in arceus in the jewel of life, when they traveled back in time? I recall it helped them escape from the cells. That would mean that it came from the past

of course, the games aren't always 100% like the movies, so idk

Doubtful. This 'issue' only exists in the US for the most part, and because of the market saturation the games have it's not worth the kicking of continuity in the balls. Particularly because people will remember 'evolution' from the last decade of the franchise, and ultracons like Beck would put on their tinfoil hats and call it 'a gateway drug to evolution.'

Doubtful. This 'issue' only exists in the US for the most part, and because of the market saturation the games have it's not worth the kicking of continuity in the balls. Particularly because people will remember 'evolution' from the last decade of the franchise, and ultracons like Beck would put on their tinfoil hats and call it 'a gateway drug to evolution.'
Yeah, I don't see Game Freak conceding anything to alleviate the butthurt feelings of a few fundamentalist Christians in rural Kansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)