Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Speaking of Spiritomb though: Apparently some people have gathered they're not doing the capture the flag thing anymore? If that's correct and not just speculation then it seems likely that Spiritomb will be made easier to obtain. Perhaps you just gotta get the Odd Keystone, plug it into the hole and that instantly triggers the encounter with no further prerequisites? Either way not surprising seeing as past remakes including this one have made conceited efforts to make certain Pokemon less of an antiquated ball-ache to obtain (Munchlax is now gonna be in the Grand Underground, rarity is up in the air but it'll certainly be a step up from the Honey Tree garbage assuming that hasn't also been retooled)

Speaking of Spiritomb though: Apparently some people have gathered they're not doing the capture the flag thing anymore? If that's correct and not just speculation then it seems likely that Spiritomb will be made easier to obtain. Perhaps you just gotta get the Odd Keystone, plug it into the hole and that instantly triggers the encounter with no further prerequisites? Either way not surprising seeing as past remakes including this one have made conceited efforts to make certain Pokemon less of an antiquated ball-ache to obtain (Munchlax is now gonna be in the Grand Underground, rarity is up in the air but it'll certainly be a step up from the Honey Tree garbage assuming that hasn't also been retooled)
Capture the flag was never a thing for Spiritomb to begin with: it was speaking with 32 people in the underground.

Rotom is now your apple watch, spiritomb takes its place in uncle larry's TV, formed by his sins watching too much pokemon planet.

I love how everyone is like these are all terrible choices! I am here like I like this. I like this a lot. I do think their is charm behind the og D/P encounter tables. It is a D/P remake not a PL one. The TMS returning to old form is amazing. Like, they hit the nail here. Reusable tms were a mistake. It meant powerful tm moves had to be post game or you can just blow through everything spamming it. One use prevents that, and if you can get more copies in the post game that solves the issues of them only being at one copy.
What is the earliest you can get *good* TMs though? I thought by the time you could get anything major you'd still be progressing. I hope when they said you can buy them that they refer to the limited TMs as well. Like stealth rock which was a gym reward you couldn't get more than once until it was purchasable in the johto remakes.

..Speaking of TMs, hopefully HMs are easy to remove still, I remember not being able to learn moves over them was super annoying.

You know, im kinda surprised no one brought this up, but IIRC there were some trainers in Sun and Moon who tried to sell HMs and TMs in alola, but found out hms were replaaced by ride pokemon and all the TMs there have multiple uses. Perhaps this is just following the lore of the series o3o

..Speaking of TMs, hopefully HMs are easy to remove still, I remember not being able to learn moves over them was super annoying.
There will probably be a move deleter and re-learner in every pokemon center again now anyway.
Honestly half the reasons people hate HMs wouldn't really be relevant in SwSh.
Off topic but cyrus is the funniest antagonist in this franchise from the sheer absurdity of his goals with no proper explanation. He decided he just was bored of our world and said "alright im gonna make a new one". Not even his grunts know what the fuck hes about.
The weird thing about Cyrus is his age.
Look at that guy's skeleton-looking face and greying hair. Then read his rambling old man dialogue and if you don't already know, guess how old he is.

Yep. He's 27.
Most of the rockstars who did so many drugs that they died at 27 didn't look that haggard at 27.

But yeah, pokemon needs to get better at villains. I have no idea how Lysander and Rose were even supposed to be a twist. Leon would have made more of a fun twist-villain, if he went mad for fame and tried to use Eternatus for himself or something. Instead of just being the guy who did most of the plot for you.
Lusamine and N and Ghetsis were alright tho.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You know, im kinda surprised no one brought this up, but IIRC there were some trainers in Sun and Moon who tried to sell HMs and TMs in alola, but found out hms were replaaced by ride pokemon and all the TMs there have multiple uses. Perhaps this is just following the lore of the series o3o
Except for ORAS where they were infinite use.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Capture the flag was never a thing for Spiritomb to begin with: it was speaking with 32 people in the underground.
Oops, dunno where I got that it was tied to CtF. Either way, still expecting the Spiritomb encounter requirements to be toned down for the reasons I stated earlier.

Anyways, here's a nice catch someone made:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeLeaks/comments/qa2p77
I didn't even know this track existed lol. Neat that it's here.

Oops, dunno where I got that it was tied to CtF. Either way, still expecting the Spiritomb encounter requirements to be toned down for the reasons I stated earlier.

Anyways, here's a nice catch someone made:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeLeaks/comments/qa2p77
I didn't even know this track existed lol. Neat that it's here.
In the Crown Tundra, the way to get Spiritomb was to speak with *checks notes* 32 people wandering around the wild areas while online.

The underground is now online compatible

I don't think anything about it is going to change

That's fair. Objectively then, I have to give BDSP's dex the edge over Platinum's since it's basically Platinum's dex + others from Gens 1 - 3. However, distribution wise I still favor Platinum. I agree with Wishy that having all these Pokémon just stuffed into the Underground kind of ruins the immersion of the region by not having them embedded within the routes and caves. Also, part of having a good dex to me is seeing your opponents (particularly the bosses) use the same cool array of available Pokémon. That's still a big question mark lingering over BDSP.

Yeah, no.

I'll give you SwSh, but this game doesn't come anywhere close to BW (a top 5 game) from what I've seen so far.
B/W had ugly mons, a terrible story, a shitty looking region that took you around in a dam circle, started the dam tm issue, second easiest gen after the gen 6 games (that includes the ORAS set) and completely lack luster characters. Literally the only thing good I can say for the game is HAs came from it, and even them were trapped behind a once a day shitty mini game thing. Yeah no, trash.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
B/W had ugly mons, a terrible story, a shitty looking region that took you around in a dam circle, started the dam tm issue, second easiest gen after the gen 6 games (that includes the ORAS set) and completely lack luster characters. Literally the only thing good I can say for the game is HAs came from it, and even them were trapped behind a once a day shitty mini game thing. Yeah no, trash.
I want to give this a :Haha: but that would imply that I'm laughing with you. I am laughing at you.

I want to give this a :Haha: but that would imply that I'm laughing with you. I am laughing at you.
Laugh all you like, sometimes that is all you can do when you face the truth.

As for Spiritomb; Yeah, I would think they will keep the 32 talk to people requirement. It does suck later down the line when people are not playing the game as much, or if you do not have wifi but it does have some nice flavor charm to it.

I always get a chuckle when somebody says gen 5 had ugly mons, post the funny ice cream, then give gen 1 a pass despite standardizing shit like electrode, magneton, dugtrio, and exeggcute. Makes you wonder on what gordon ramsay standard they have for what constitutes a 'good design'.

I expected that on 4chan, not here. Personally I think gen 5 came out with some amazing bangers for designs even if there is the occasional ice cream, genies, and trash bag. I'd take gigalith over golem any day.

Also gen 5 gave us joltik, if you don't like joltik you probably drink strawberry milk.

Anyways spiritomb I wouldn't be surprised if it just summons upon putting the odd keystone in.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only Gen 5 Pokemon who we can all agree is indisputably ugly no matter how you feel about Gen 5's mons is Watchog (and Patrat to an extent too). Seriously, that mon is hideous with those freaky eyes and it"s just standing there like a creepy little shit with its arms crossed in a hideous way. Game Freak really said one day "Let's take an overdone concept, make it as shitty as possible, give it the creepiest eyes known to man, and send it into the world to watch the Pokemon fandom squirm".

Anyway, stuff like this really goes to show how so many people can have different perspectives on things, doesn't it? You'd never think about it but I guess that's how it is when you have a series that is so vast and long running and has drawn in so many different crowds over the years.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I can ignore the rest of the extremly unpopular opinions that I disagree with, but anyone that calls Black and White easy should be locked in a room with Ghethsis's Hydreigon until they remember what fear is.
The only Gen 5 Pokemon who we can all agree is indisputably ugly no matter how you feel about Gen 5's mons is Watchog (and Patrat to an extent too). Seriously, that mon is hideous with those freaky eyes and it"s just standing there like a creepy little shit with its arms crossed in a hideous way. Game Freak really said one day "Let's take an overdone concept, make it as shitty as possible, give it the creepiest eyes known to man, and send it into the world to watch the Pokemon fandom squirm".
As someone that used a Patrat on an in game team for 40 Hours and caught a Shiny Partat on my first playthrough, dude! How can you say that? Patrat isn't that bad. Okay, it barely makes my Top 100 Pokemon and I admit Watchog sucks.

So, trying to get back on topic with another unpopular opinion, I kind of dread the return of the Safari Zone. The fear of finding a Shiny Pokemon and seeing it run away... 0_o I'd say I'm glad it's optional, but wasn't the Defog HM in there? At least it's at the enterance IIRC so running into the grass was optional.

I've never played a Pokemon game with a Safari zone and I dont plan on using it! I don't like decision making and it's completely optional I'm not gonna run into a Shiny and watch it run away

I can ignore the rest of the extremly unpopular opinions that I disagree with, but anyone that calls Black and White easy should be locked in a room with Ghethsis's Hydreigon until they remember what fear is.

As someone that used a Patrat on an in game team for 40 Hours and caught a Shiny Partat on my first playthrough, dude! How can you say that? Patrat isn't that bad. Okay, it barely makes my Top 100 Pokemon and I admit Watchog sucks.

So, trying to get back on topic with another unpopular opinion, I kind of dread the return of the Safari Zone. The fear of finding a Shiny Pokemon and seeing it run away... 0_o I'd say I'm glad it's optional, but wasn't the Defog HM in there? At least it's at the enterance IIRC so running into the grass was optional.
I cleared the man first try, without being over leveled. So yeah. But, enough about Black and White as much as I would like to rip into them..this is a D/P remake thread.

As for Defog, that is optional to begin with. So, you would not have to return to it anyhow. But... <3 Safari Zone. I love them so much. It is a fun little risk management game that I personally find every enjoyable. As for the shiny thing, I think I can think of maybe three shiny I like better then the normal in the all of the series, so doesn't bother me none.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Personally what dreads me is that this is the Gen 4 Safari zone, which is infamously horrible. I hope they tweak the marsh a little bit because the in-game way of trying to find the mons you want is terrible (quick flashing images on a binocular showing areas the mon might be in, but the areas look the same so its hard to pinpoint even where you are supposed to be)

I don't know whether they would do anything about it because at this point I have no idea how much of the game they want to change, but I really hope they make the marsh a more pleasing experience overall. Sucked to me to want to use Drapion and find out Skorupi was locked to that terrible safari.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
As for Defog, that is optional to begin with. So, you would not have to return to it anyhow. But... <3 Safari Zone. I love them so much. It is a fun little risk management game that I personally find every enjoyable. As for the shiny thing, I think I can think of maybe three shiny I like better then the normal in the all of the series, so doesn't bother me none.
I honestly kind of forgot that Defog isn't needed. In my defense, I'm tired and every other HM is needed. Now that I think about it, fog is pretty pointless now that you don't even need a Pokemon with Defog to get rid of it... not that it wasn't just pointless accuracy debuffs before.

Personally what dreads me is that this is the Gen 4 Safari zone, which is infamously horrible. I hope they tweak the marsh a little bit because the in-game way of trying to find the mons you want is terrible (quick flashing images on a binocular showing areas the mon might be in, but the areas look the same so its hard to pinpoint even where you are supposed to be)

I don't know whether they would do anything about it because at this point I have no idea how much of the game they want to change, but I really hope they make the marsh a more pleasing experience overall. Sucked to me to want to use Drapion and find out Skorupi was locked to that terrible safari.
Not being able to get Skorupi would suck, but Munchlax is in the Grand Underground, so I have hope that the daily Safari Zone Pokemon are there too.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/10/13/pokemon-brilliant-diamond-shining-pearl-nintendo-switch-preview/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeLeaks/comments/qaf8cg
This article with a first-hand perspective of the preview has slightly more details on some parts of the game.
- The mobile PC is unlocked "a few hours into the game".
- "I asked about the Pokédex and whether it will be the same as in Diamond and Pearl. All they could confirmed was that everything available in the original two games will be featured in this remake." To be fair this was probably all they can say, already assumed by a lot of people, and the only things missing from DP are past starters, legendaries, and Tangela anyway.
- It seems that the vendors in the underground now trade treasures in exchange for replenishable TMs (secondhand confirmed by the reddit poster asking the author for clarification), and there are no underground decorations anymore.

1634619814355.png

I'm not sure if we've seen any other shots of the sides of the centre, but it seems like there's a nurse blocking/in place of the right stairs since they won't be used for Wi-Fi rooms anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)