Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Flint's team is such a nothing thing to get mad over...I just dont get it.

In all the remake games thus far, I can only recall one team that ever got changed, which was Glacia replacing her Sealeos with Froslass.
Karen still has Vileplume in HGSS, as does Bruno and his collection of Onixes....Hell Agatha has a full Poison team despite being a Ghost type Elite 4 member. At least Flint's team has the whole heat/hot theme.

And yes, Lopunny is based off Playboy Bunnies and is considered hot. Yes, its a big thing in Japan. It makes sense.

Let's see....gen 4 had...92 TMs, 8 HMs. Rock Climb was HM 08

Seems reasonable to think that we have DP's TM list with HMs 1-8 now being 93-100
My hope is that the list is largely the same as in Gen IV, but with some of the weaker moves switched out with moves from later gens.

Also, there is footage of a Buizel in contests that knows Scald. While it may be a new level up move for Buizel, I'm more inclined to believe it is a TM move again.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's not the Pokemon themselves people are mad over, it's that they gave him a more matching team in Platinum but, nope, "this is a Diamond & Pearl remake not Platinum remake" so ignored the team that made sense even though they had no reason to.

In all the remake games thus far, I can only recall one team that ever got changed, which was Glacia replacing her Sealeos with Froslass.
Most other Gym Leaders teams at least had whole teams that was their Type or majority of their Type. Like Candice team is alright even though it has a Medicham on it because her other 3 Pokemon are Ice-types. But half of Volkner's team isn't Electric and three of Flint's five Pokemon aren't Fire, it makes them stand out a bit.

Also, the remakes also did upgraded Rematches giving at least the Elite Four better teams. DP didn't do this so it's up in the air atm whether they'll have upgraded (or their Platinum teams) for rematches or stick to the 1:1 remake thing.

Karen still has Vileplume in HGSS, as does Bruno and his collection of Onixes....Hell Agatha has a full Poison team despite being a Ghost type Elite 4 member. At least Flint's team has the whole heat/hot theme.

And yes, Lopunny is based off Playboy Bunnies and is considered hot. Yes, its a big thing in Japan. It makes sense.
Driftblim is a hot air balloon and Steelix is a heated Iron Ore haha.

I had different expectations since LGPE completely changes up nearly every team in the game to get rid of evolution line repeats / mismatched Pokemon. Bruno ditches one of his Onix for Poliwrath,, Sabrina gets rid of Venemoth for Jynx. Instead of just using the Koffing / Venonat line, Koga runs completely unique Poison-types, blending his RBY picks of Weezing and Muk, his Yellow ace in Venomoth, and his Crystal ace, Golbat.

At the very least, he probably won't have the same garbage AI and moves as he did in DP. I was watching some videos of his Pearl Elite Four battle, and his Steelix didn't attack the player once outside of missing with a not very effective Rock Tomb (player had a Toxicroak out).

Driftblim is a hot air balloon and Steelix is a heated Iron Ore haha.

I had different expectations since LGPE completely changes up nearly every team in the game to get rid of evolution line repeats / mismatched Pokemon. Bruno ditches one of his Onix for Poliwrath,, Sabrina gets rid of Venemoth for Jynx. Instead of just using the Koffing / Venonat line, Koga runs completely unique Poison-types, blending his RBY picks of Weezing and Muk, his Yellow ace in Venomoth, and his Crystal ace, Golbat.

At the very least, he probably won't have the same garbage AI and moves as he did in DP. I was watching some videos of his Pearl Elite Four battle, and his Steelix didn't attack the player once outside of missing with a not very effective Rock Tomb (player had a Toxicroak out).
Oh huh, I swore I had double checked for LGPE but I guess I stopped short. Wonder if those remakes were an exception since they already had a faithful remake (FR/LG) and had a bit more wiggle room to change things up?

I have to say - they're killing it with these Gym move sets, in a very good way. Even if their rosters aren't as good as Platinum's, their move sets are giving Plat a run for their money.

Shuca Berry Surf Raichu is absolutely based. If only it also had Signal Beam like in Platinum, it could've used that against Torterra in the video that's now been deleted. But that's a nitpick.

Ambipom fully abusing Technician with Double Hit and Fake Out is pretty awesome as well.

And that Luxray out speeding Dialga with only a two level difference indicates to me there might be some EVs involved. Especially if that Dialga was Timid as some people are saying.

It's really too bad. If I had to guess ILCA was given the directive by GF to be ultra faithful along the way and took some creative liberties to push the envelope as much as they could. I highly doubt it was ILCA choosing to remain faithful and GF being the one to make these move set changes, give non-ace Pokémon items, etc.

That might bode well for future games if ILCA is given the reigns moving forward after showing their chops with some of the battle design choices they've made with these games. If in fact they were the ones truly responsible for them. Maybe there's reason for hope (cope).

And that Luxray out speeding Dialga with only a two level difference indicates to me there might be some EVs involved. Especially if that Dialga was Timid as some people are saying.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYu5cAteB97GUAbh7RFYbQ/videos
It's late but I'll leave this here, some of the recent videos have been reuploaded here/other places and we have an exact 118 speed stat on Dialga.
1636355922687.png

A neutral Level 49 Luxray hits 119 speed with 31 IV/252 EV, though this could also just be a +Speed nature with less investment.
Technically it could be scarf but I don't think ILCA would go that far.

A neutral Level 49 Luxray hits 119 speed with 31 IV/252 EV, though this could also just be a +Speed nature with less investment.
Technically it could be scarf but I don't think ILCA would go that far.
I think there's a very real chance Volkner's Luxray has maxed out Speed EVs (and IVs) then. Which is a really nice point in favor of BDSP's battle design, something even Platinum didn't do.

Again this doesn't make up for everything, like the messed up level curve due to Exp. All. But some of these design decisions are seriously impressive. Imagine Cynthia's Pokémon being EV trained with perfect IVs, jesus christ.

Just pointing out some quick dates:

SwSh:
- First footage from leaked carts: Nov 1 (14 days before release)
- First datamine: Nov 11 (the Monday before the Friday release)
- Release: Nov 15

BDSP:
- First footage from leaked carts: Nov 5 (14 days before release)
- Release: Nov 19

Don't expect a datamine for another 7-8 days, even with carts confirmed in the wild.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

Found this thing uploaded around forty minutes from this post. Everything is pretty meh except for one part at 0:13 where a giant bone is eating a Graveler. Is that a thing in the original dp or is it something new entirely? Or is it just an animation for a new move?

With all these updated movesets, I have a feeling that the game would actually be challenging if we didn't have a forced Exp. Share. I wish there was a way to glitch it out or something so that it doesn't work.
Box Link.

Meanwhile, I certainly wasn't expecting the boss trainer rosters to be any different from DP. Would it be better if they were different? Yes. Is it important to me? ... not really. What difficulty the AI trainers can bring to me has no bearing in what I find to be fun.

(After all, it's difficult to gauge difficulty when you plan to use around 30 Pokémon at the same time...)

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I certainly wasn't expecting the boss trainer rosters to be any different from DP. Would it be better if they were different? Yes. Is it important to me? ... not really. What difficulty the AI trainers can bring to me has no bearing in what I find to be fun.

(After all, it's difficult to gauge difficulty when you plan to use around 30 Pokémon at the same time...)
Sure, but will you be a real Sigma Trainer and join the "Bibarel for champion" club, or a beta trainer like everyone else?

Sure, but will you be a real Sigma Trainer and join the "Bibarel for champion" club, or a beta trainer like everyone else?
Well, Bibarel is on my list, but I can't guarantee that, with more Pokémon than the potentially usable (30) in an Elite Four challenge, it will actually see any action XD

(After all, I had already used it before so my priority would be on the likes of Lickilicky or Chatot...)

Well multiple accounts on a switch is effectively the same as multiple save files (unless you want to play Animal Crossing)

Well multiple accounts on a switch is effectively the same as multiple save files (unless you want to play Animal Crossing)
I won't disagree with you there, but that's... not quite the "normal" way to have multiple saves, and rather people abusing a console feature in an unintended way :psynervous:

Well I guess at least there's that. Having speedrun Shield in the past, sure it's obnoxious but at least it lets me keep my main save and not have to buy the game twice:blobshrug:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm sure this was brought up waaay earlier in the thread, but I think it's worth a reminder considering how "faithful" these seem to be to the OG Diamond and Pearl.

So below here, it appears the blonde lady that gives you the Garcidea Flower for changing Shaymin to Skymin is still in the game.

Now of course, there's always the chance that the lady just makes a cheeky Skymin reference and does nothing, but I don't think we can deny the possibility that alternate formes like Shamyin-S, Giratina-O, and the Rotom appliances could still be in. That also makes me wonder too if Pokemon Home will get Alolan and Galarian formes in on the fun, or if they're gonna be blocked!

I won't disagree with you there, but that's... not quite the "normal" way to have multiple saves, and rather people abusing a console feature in an unintended way :psynervous:

Well I guess at least there's that. Having speedrun Shield in the past, sure it's obnoxious but at least it lets me keep my main save and not have to buy the game twice:blobshrug:
You know, for the whole "buy this 2-in-1 pack to play and trade with your sibling" thing they've started pushing not long ago, and with the Switch allowing having multiple accounts (and thus multiple saves), I'm kind of surprised that, outside of HOME, you cannot trade Pokémon within a single console.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)