Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

Im getting kinda bummed out that most people will probably just immediately diss this game's boss design on principle for using DP Pokemon selection when it's so clear that ILCA is genuinely putting in work to give them all interesting movesets and synergies (Sitrus + Belch Skuntank is so raw wtf). Maybe my standards are just way too low or I'm Armond White's long lost half-brother but despite my very obvious initial apprehensions they've won me over with the choices they've made. Like I said before, I am genuinely excited to see what the Elite Four has in store even if they got DP teams
I'm actually impressed they are giving items to the non-ace Pokemon. I don't think any other main series Pokemon game has done this before.

The cynical part of me is worried that the day 1 patch will remove this stuff for balancing reasons or something, but eh, we'll see..

Personally I don't care that much about their teams since I never played the original DP or Platinum, but my question is...why? They changed the movesets, almost from the ground up in some cases (which is dope), but why not go all the way and give them their Platinum teams? I don't get why they're so dedicated to keeping some things "faithful" but forcing other, weird things into the game. I'll probably still enjoy this game, but it's still weird.

Like atleast fix Ambipom and Lopunny. I'm fine with Medicham and Octillery but the former two make zero sense.

Like I suggested before, I suspect it was a mandate by gamefreak that every "major" thing in the above ground is beholden to DP when it comes to levels, encounters, and team compositions and probably world design (even ORAS & Let's Go tweak things on all these fronts).
You could view this in a very bad (not allowing a third party to make significant changes because it's not them) or lenient way (being strict on this front eased development in various ways)

They could obviously touch things like learnsets and moves used (presumably they didn't want it to be 1:1 in every single way, and this is "lesser" as far as "major" things go) and such, and "side stuff" they're allowed leniency on (wouldn't surprise me if some of it was also oversight from gamefreak, incidentally...).

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'll be honest I have no idea how people can be freshly mad at this, it has been plainly obvious game was going to be doing!
It's amazing how many people still have hope, or in my case, got hope back for a minute only for it to be crushed again because of the stupid AI. If you think it's amazing how many people are angry now, just wait until the people hoping for the Battle Frontier get their hopes crushed.
say no more i got you
Or you could remind them and get it over with. That works too.

Im getting kinda bummed out that most people will probably just immediately diss this game's boss design on principle for using DP Pokemon selection when it's so clear that ILCA is genuinely putting in work to give them all interesting movesets and synergies (Sitrus + Belch Skuntank is so raw wtf). Maybe my standards are just way too low or I'm Armond White's long lost half-brother but despite my very obvious initial apprehensions they've won me over with the choices they've made. Like I said before, I am genuinely excited to see what the Elite Four has in store even if they got DP teams
As someone that hates the DP teams, I kind of agree. The improved movesets really cool and I can really see that they're trying their best so I want to like it, but it irks me so much that they stuck to the teams that were caused by the DP Dex's problems. It's so irritating so see really good stuff combined with stuff I just can't see as good.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'll give you this, despite being given a poor hand (likely mandated to use the DP teams), ILCA put in the work to give the major NPCs interesting strategies (I wonder if being able to pick the Abilities and Moves was a bone GF threw to them or they had to convince GF that at the very least that was necessary). And the game does look good considering the style they went with, and the expression the major NPCs have during battle are pretty good (they tried to give the same level of expression to the overworld models which, they succeeded, but for me I just can't get past the chibi design especially for scenes which are meant to be serious like on Spear Pillar).

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Or at least something on type.

Rotom is in this game ffs.
It didn’t work for Volkner. I have especially high doubts it’ll work for Flint.

C’mon guys, it’s Diamond and Pearl, and that’s all it’ll ever be. ORAS gave Wattson the team that matched his RS team for a reason.

You can’t escape fate. Embrace it with open arms.
:dp/medicham: :dp/octillery: :dp/ambipom: :dp/lopunny: :dp/steelix: :dp/drifblim:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
You can’t escape fate. Embrace it with open arms.
:dp/medicham: :dp/octillery: :dp/ambipom: :dp/lopunny: :dp/steelix: :dp/drifblim:
This should be someone's team just to make fun of the odd team choices in DP. Maybe Cynthia's little sister. "A batch of my big sisters friends gave me these Pokemon, say they're heading underground to get ones which better fit their team. I'm gonna train them up and someday become Sinnoh Champion like my sister! Let's practice battle!"

Pretty disappointing all around then. Nothing surprising, but like... confirmations of worst fears, I guess? I decided a little while back I wasn't gonna get the game so it's not like this changes much for me mind. Boss movesets are INSANE though and it's at least been a fun night looking over stuff like chople berries and trick room; clearly someone on the dev team was having a good time

Pokey Masta has confirmed that Flint has his original team if for any reason you still thought they were gonna do some sneaky stuff
View attachment 383854View attachment 383855
I dm'd him asking about Battle Frontier (this isn't me in this image) so hopefully he can answer that when he gets to it since he seems to still be playing
Wow I am very mad at how this was handled. At least before the videos went down I was expecting my Monday to start off with HD capture card footage of Flint and his Lopunny with a distant MIDI Elite Four theme in the background. Then he took all the videos down and I thought at least this wouldn't be spoiled before release or some other leaker could carry on the torch. But he didn't even give me the satisfaction of seeing Flint's team get swept by Bubble Beam Empoleon for myself before he threw it all away with the word "First". For all the buildup Flint really deserved better and I hope there really is a final trailer that does his DP team justice.

Oh right, is there anything on the Platinum additions being obtainable in Sinnoh? Ralts before Hearthome, Route 207 Gligar, gift Eevee etc? Or is it all relegated to underground?

Oh right, is there anything on the Platinum additions being obtainable in Sinnoh? Ralts before Hearthome, Route 207 Gligar, gift Eevee etc? Or is it all relegated to underground?
Seems like its relegated to the underground. When the dude had 4 badges, his pokedex only went up to Croagunk, meaning he didn't encounter the new platinum additions (which were placed after Dialga and Palkia in the OG dex).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Boss movesets are INSANE though and it's at least been a fun night looking over stuff like chople berries and trick room; clearly someone on the dev team was having a good time
Sad thing is, if it wasn't for the Exp. Share, I'm thinking maybe I would have gotten them just because the new major NPC strategies actually look like they would have been fun to test teams I would make against. However with Exp. Share overleveling your team, and I'm the type of trainer that usually likes only training one team with maybe a few spares for certain situations, I know I would just come into the battle overleveled and so sweep anyway. :blobpensive: Maybe if these games go on sale (yeah, yeah, laughable thing to say for a top Nintendo franchise game) I'll think about picking Diamond up to relive my original Diamond adventure (honestly they feel like they should have been budget titles anyway...).

Seems like its relegated to the underground. When the dude had 4 badges, his pokedex only went up to Croagunk, meaning he didn't encounter the new platinum additions (which were placed after Dialga and Palkia in the OG dex).
Or maybe the game doesn't count non-Regional Dex captures during main game/have to unlock the National Dex some other way? But, yeah, the more likely case is that the leaker just didn't bother going to the Underground.

Damn that sucks. The Gallade at Iron Island in one of the trailers gave me hope. Ty
Just because the leaker didn't seem to have used the Underground doesn't mean it's unavailable. They likely just wanted to get through the game as fast as possible so didn't bother with it. The main issue with the Underground likely isn't "is it available" but rather what hoops you gotta jump through to get the Pokemon you want. Looks like it's gonna involve a lot of digging and statue collecting & decorating to figure out the correct statue combination (or a datamine reveals the combinations speeding up at least that process).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)