Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Exp Share ends up being an issue again, I'll just do what I've been doing in my SwSh runthroughs and use a rotating team of over 20 Pokemon as I see fit.

Maybe Bibarel will have a new use if we lose HMs as an early game crutch that I can use instead of an HM Slave and I don't have to feel like I wasted EXP on stuff like Kricketune and Bibarel even though I know I will drop them eventually.

If Exp Share ends up being an issue again, I'll just do what I've been doing in my SwSh runthroughs and use a rotating team of over 20 Pokemon as I see fit.
If this happens to use the same level curve as in Diamond and Pearl then there's nothing to lose from having the Exp Share on and only 6 Pokémon, considering the unnecessary level spike at the end. It will save time.

I'm pretty sure my thoughts are echoing everyone else's when I say this, but the more I see that isn't faithful to the original games (or is more faithful to Platinum than DP) the more I get my hopes up. Every time I saw a Pokemon that wasn't in the DP dex I told myself it's not confirmed to be in the main game until I saw Houndoom in the underground. Seeing even more Pokemon available, like the Sentret pointed out earlier or Numel from the same screenshot, is a pretty interesting and welcome change. It makes sense that they expanded the Dex again because every Dex since BW2 (except ORAS) has been at least 300 Pokemon. I remember feeling like the Zigzagoon, Wingull, and sometimes Oddish lines very common almost everywhere was pretty repetitive after being spoiled by other games. (Not helped by the change of having it so later areas had only Linoone instead of Zigzagoon and Linoone.) I'm starting to hope for the full National Dex between this and Legends. Can someone crush that hope before it gets big enough to be hurt when we can't have everything in SwSh?

Now all I need to see is Gym Leaders and the Elite Four use full teams of their type, (I'm looking at the last two gyms, and yes, I'm glaring a Flint's team of all 2 Fire types on a team of 5 Pokemon.) and hopefully movesets that aren't jokes. (Not directed at anything in DP, but HG/SS having the Dark Elite Four's Gengar know Lick as its Ghost attack was way too faithful to the original games.) The first Gym having Rollout is a good but painful looking sign. (Painful as in RIP anyone using Chimchar.)

About cut moves coming back, I feel safe saying Bide is one of the moves coming back because it was Kriketot's only attack.

Please dumb down the contest a little! The first part was dragging 20 decorations (In Master Rank) onto your Pokemon in 60 seconds and hoping they matched the contest style! Just don't dumb it down enough that all of it can be beaten by just a Magikarp like in ORAS.
I think they can do great things in those aspects, namely the new areas in the underground look good, and expanding the species of Pokémon you can encounter during the adventure is something that DP desperately needs. Just with that, and some clever changes, the final product will be something decent. Not the best remakes ever, but surely something decent enough to consider. The problem is, the lack of Battle Frontier hurts a lot when thinking about it. DP aren't the greatest Pokémon games ever in regards to Post-Game. Most of the additions that made the Battle Zone interesting were added in Platinum (like the Frontier, the Café and even the Mansion). Seeing that, even if they improve in certain aspects you've already stated, they won't add nothing significant that heavily changes the playthrough, and after seeing the credits you'll have less things to exploit than you have in Platinum, a game we bought in 2009 for 36 Euros, it seems hard to justify.

A minor detail, but nonetheless welcomed info nugget for collectors, is that Apricorn Balls will be available (making some previously unobtainable combos, like Love Ball Glameow legal)!

We don't know how rare they will be (perhaps gifts for beating the E4 like with SwSh), but I really hope these balls become more common (let me purchase them from Poké Marts, please!). It's somewhat frustrating and counter-intuitive that, given their limited availability, you rarely use these balls for their actual effects, and instead save them for collection purposes.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I slept through the trailer and didn't watch it but I've inferred some of the changes from reading this thread, here are my thoughts for the three people who are interested:

-The expanded Underground looks like a really interesting way to get more Pokémon, it would be cool if they included more than just the Platinum Pokémon in it but it's nice either way.
-The full Battle Frontier not being brought back is disappointing, I would love to challenge all of the facilities there without dealing with the inconveniences of training a good team in gen 4, but I can't say that I'm surprised.
-I don't give a fuck about Super Contests but it's cool that they exist for people who are into that.
-Following Pokémon is neat.

Overall, this is increasingly looking to be worth the buy. I might not get it on release but I'll probably get it.

-The expanded Underground looks like a really interesting way to get more Pokémon, it would be cool if they included more than just the Platinum Pokémon in it but it's nice either way.
Venusaur, Charizard, Oddish, Grimer, Omastar, Sentret, Lanturn, Skiploom, Slugma, and Numel have all been seen in some form in the screenshots and trailers on the website, so there are definately many non Platinum-dex Pokemon in BDSP. I think at this point it would be safe to say that the game will at least have all Gen I-IV Pokemon coded into them.

1629317682332.png

Turtwig gets Leafage now.
I didn't realize this at first, but Turtwig also probably gets Growth by level (former egg move) newly as well. Changes like this make sense, as Turtwig's latest level up learnset from Gen 7 has been untouched since the original Diamond/Pearl and things have generally improved since then.

Speaking of moves, it'll be interesting if this game gives contest stats for all the Gen 7-8 moves. Contests kind of remind me more of musicals in that you now have an action you can use once to gain attention, though I barely played them so I don't really know if this is new.

Every contest opponent in the screenshots seems to exist in the original, except Isaac went from having a Pikachu to an Onix and Amy's Stunky is now a Skuntank.

(The Japanese site also has a Tail Whip Ponyta opponent. No Ponyta exists in the originals and I don't know what this name is.)

1629320880036.png

1629321521034.png

The trailer also has this shot of 3 people whose pokemon were all changed to new additions. There was really not that much variety in the originals.

1629318274366.png

A Rock Smash rock can be seen in this shot of Route 222. This could just be faithful map design, but personally I think the rock is a hint towards HMs being a thing, since there's no reason for it to be there if you are always able to break the rock.
1629318312996.png

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/bdsp/
The Japanese site has some more screenshots of various gameplay moments and some character dialogue.

1629318901571.png

1629318909319.png

Piplup's reflection looks very yellow here.

1629319309961.png

1629319334395.png

Here's a look at the stat screens. Nature ups and downs are pretty obvious. It seems that each language on the Japanese site (Japanese/Traditional Chinese/Simplified Chinese) raised its own Pachirisu, and thus there are 6 different screenshots of Pachirisu here. It doesn't seem like its stats have really changed.

1629320288116.png
1629320294361.png
1629320265629.png

1629320273112.png

1629320051487.png

This is the Dragon Pulse animation, pretty much Gen 8.
1629320123748.png

Ancient Power looks like Gen 8 as well.

1629321039068.png

The Japanese site has extra screenshots showing you can talk to following pokemon like HGSS.

1629321328518.png

The Japanese trailer has what are probably the super effective/not very effective indicators on moves. I guess the other one hadn't fought Geodude before.

Venusaur, Charizard, Oddish, Grimer, Omastar, Sentret, Lanturn, Skiploom, Slugma, and Numel have all been seen in some form in the screenshots and trailers on the website, so there are definately many non Platinum-dex Pokemon in BDSP. I think at this point it would be safe to say that the game will at least have all Gen I-IV Pokemon coded into them.
The Kanto starters/Omastar are statues though you can probably transfer up from GO or whatever eventually.

What I like so far:
*Vastly improved presentation from the original trailer.
*The Grand Underground is looking interesting, especially with the new Hideaways.

What I don't like so far:
*Apparently you can still get stuck in mud and snow. I hated that in DPP, and I'm almost invariably going to hate it here as well.
*Still no idea whether or not any of the stuff Platinum added will be in these games (or if not those, then something similarly awesome instead).

On the topic of version exclusives, while Houndoom is part of the Platinum Dex, it was only be able to be captured in Pearl. I could definitely see it bring exclusive to Shining Pearl in the remake.

I’m genuinely really happy that customization is coming back. Being a faithful remake, I was not expecting it to come back at all especially ORAS did not allow it. Color me surprised! You can even choose your own skin tone. I personally think Dawn looks the best with light Brown complexion. On the other hand, with following Pokémon being a thing makes me wonder what purpose Amity Square will have in the games since it was the precursor to following Pokémon in HGSS. Maybe the follow feature is a nod to HGSS ?

Anyway, the region looks so much better now with the redone texture and lighting. It still looks outdated for a Switch, and I’m not a fan of how similar the UI looks compared to the original, but it at least looks good.

Not having Ranked Battles is disappointing though. I’m guessing this is because they want people to use SwSh and show off Dynamax to the crowd thanks to COVID canceling all events, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have a ranked mode. At least Smogon will have a metagames for BDSP.

Underground looks a lot of fun with the new online play, especially since as a youth I didn’t have many friends to play with. And you can catch Munchlax in the caverns. Woohoo! No more Honeytree nonsense.

Overall, this game’s trailer has piqued my interest drastically. Gonna have to wait for some reviews before I completely commit though. The other question will be is that are these games are compatible with SwSh and can you trade the missing Pokémon?

On the topic of version exclusives, while Houndoom is part of the Platinum Dex, it was only be able to be captured in Pearl. I could definitely see it bring exclusive to Shining Pearl in the remake.

I’m genuinely really happy that customization is coming back. Being a faithful remake, I was not expecting it to come back at all especially ORAS did not allow it. Color me surprised! You can even choose your own skin tone. I personally think Dawn looks the best with light Brown complexion. On the other hand, with following Pokémon being a thing makes me wonder what purpose Amity Square will have in the games since it was the precursor to following Pokémon in HGSS. Maybe the follow feature is a nod to HGSS ?

Anyway, the region looks so much better now with the redone texture and lighting. It still looks outdated for a Switch, and I’m not a fan of how similar the UI looks compared to the original, but it at least looks good.

Not having Ranked Battles is disappointing though. I’m guessing this is because they want people to use SwSh and show off Dynamax to the crowd thanks to COVID canceling all events, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have a ranked mode. At least Smogon will have a metagames for BDSP.

Underground looks a lot of fun with the new online play, especially since as a youth I didn’t have many friends to play with. And you can catch Munchlax in the caverns. Woohoo! No more Honeytree nonsense.

Overall, this game’s trailer has piqued my interest drastically. Gonna have to wait for some reviews before I completely commit though. The other question will be is that are these games are compatible with SwSh and can you trade the missing Pokémon?
I don't think Amity Square (or at least the building leading to it) was on the map.

Oh I missed this earlier

BDSP will let you pick skin tone. I just kind of assumed they wouldn't. ORAS and iirc Let's Go didn't allow it. So that's fun.
Big thing to note is that this is the first time pre-existing characters have customizable hair, eye, and skin color.
Screenshot 2021-08-18 223738.png

Suddenly Barry can make more sense now. (I will point out that Dawn, Lucas, and Cynthia all have grey eyes.)

In more important developments...
Screenshot 2021-08-18 223546.png
Screenshot 2021-08-18 223611.png

What will happen to this (correct) blackbelt now that Pokemon can follow you everywhere?

Thought it would be worth mentioning that the original DPP had 77 seals (49 which you could buy from the Sunyshore Market, 28 of which are letters from the alphabet + an exclamation and a question mark given to you by showing corresponding Unown to a boy in Solaceon Town), while the official pokemon website states that there are "Over 90 different stickers" suggesting that more stickers have been added to the games. It's possible that the unused seals inside DPP's code will actually be available in the remakes as well.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Overall, this trailer gave me a very positive impression. I don't know what I was expecting, but what I feared as a worst case scenario was a one-to-one conversion of the original games into HD graphics. This, luckily, seems not to be the case. The Grand Underground, at least, is definite proof that they have been allowed to go outside the scope of the originals, and now I believe there is a good reason to play this instead of replaying the originals. That was something I felt to be lacking with LGPE, so it is good to see it addressed here. My worst fears have definitely been vanquished.

Another thing I noticed, I'm not sure if it is the camera or the models, but the overworld NPCs look better somehow. In the first trailer, I got the impression that the camera was too top-down, so that only the top of NPC heads were visible. In these trailers, either the camera has been lowered a little, or the models slightly tilted away from the camera, but at any rate I feel like more of their body is visible now. You're not just looking at a hat with some limbs poking out underneath.

I think the models were changed slightly too. Of course the pictures I used on page 2 have been subject to link rot already, but Serebii has a few pictures from the first trailer. Notable among them is this one:

Compare to this one:

It looks like the character's legs have been made bigger, and you can see more of them than earlier. The arms are also resting further out from the body. The hat is still very prominent in the look of the character, but it doesn't feel like it's hiding the rest of the model anymore. This is also noticeable with other overworld NPCs, but I don't have screenshots from the previous trailer available right now. That being said, some of the Underground shots in the trailer are still noticeably hat-heavy. Then again, those are cramped spaces where it makes sense for the camera to be positioned directly above the player - in the big caves, you see the character at a lower angle again.

The chibi look is also growing on me. I realized that the buildings and environment feels quite chibi as well. Look at the screenshot above, for instance, with the houses in Twinleaf Town barely being large enough to qualify as sheds. The overworld has caves with big, round, door-like openings, bridges spanning ravines without bending (and without railings), the Canalave canal is perhaps five meters wide, the furniture of houses looks all out of wack ... honestly, realistic characters would fit this overworld really poorly. Might as well make it all look doll-like, then like a toy set.

Other than that, I like what I see. Ball seals changing to stickers feels like a better translation, honestly. If you're putting seals on the ball, it sounds like it can't be opened. I've never heard the word "seals" be used in the same way as "stickers". As a kid, I wondered if the Seal Case had anything to do with blobby creatures swimming in the ocean.

For following Pokémon, I echo a sentiment from upthread: It's not really necessary that it's present for me to enjoy a game, but when it is present it makes things feel more immersive. It is a neat little touch. Character customization, while simplified, is good to see too. I was never good at mixing and matching, so having whole outfits composed for me is really convenient.

The lack of a Battle Frontier is of course a little bit disheartening, but at this point expectations were low for it anyway. There could still be some fun little QoL improvements at the Battle Tower, but otherwise the game seems to have enough to offer regardless. The trailer definitely left me with much better impressions and expectations than the initial announcement did. I think TPC shall have my money once again. Maybe twice too? Eh, I'll see after playing it the first time.

Another thing I noticed, I'm not sure if it is the camera or the models, but the overworld NPCs look better somehow.
Well tecnically we knew they were basically showing alpha footage in the first trailers when during the OLED reveal they shown a tiny bit of BDSP and it was evident that the graphic had massive improvement.
Can't complain though, the low quality graphic was a bad punch in the eye in both trailers and that seems to be mostly gone with the new ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)