Sticky Pokemon Direct - 6th June Discussion - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally psyched for Ultra Sun and Moon. Initial thoughts:
Forms: The forms seem to be a fusion of Necrozma and Solgaleo/Lunala. It's makes me wonder that they are repeating Black/White Kyurem. What's interesting though, is that Pokémon are in their "Full" Phase forms when in their new forms. It may also have something with Z-Ring which was noted to have a slight change.
Story
Judging from the player character, it appears to be the same from Sun and Moon, with several areas being to be more developed in Alola. So I'm certain it's 3rd version-esque I'm not sure what they meant to new Pokémon, perhaps an exapansion to the Alola Dex? Maybe new Alola Forms? I just hope it's too Kanto. ( Looking at you charizard. )

EDIT: Looking forward too Gold and Silver on VC!

Are there any interesting moves that Gen 2 VC is going to give us access to? The TM list is pretty uninteresting with the exception of Curse TM.
Free elemental punches without the need of tutors.

Also, Giga Drain with Hidden Abilities.

BTW, if the Time Machine will work on VC (I assume it will) then there are newer available combinations, though I'm unsure if there will be something useful for Gen I Pokemon.

They really outdid themselves with how disgusting those forms look. Wow.

Hopefully they're more like BW2 and not a pair of glorified third-versions.

hahahahaha...GS on eshop eh? Oh boy. those who never experience the terror of GSCLax...you gonna learn soon.
as for UltraSuMo, looking forward to it obviously, though not a big fan of the designs on the Prism fused Solgaleo/Lunala states. Outside of the standard things(Move tutors/new formes/expanded dex) one thing I would like to see come back is Super Training-SoS is good too, but the older simulation system just flt more comfortable for me.
And I get this strange feeling Crystal version is being saved for new 3DS, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Are there any interesting moves that Gen 2 VC is going to give us access to? The TM list is pretty uninteresting with the exception of Curse TM.
A few interesting things at a glance:
  • Sap Sipper + Whirlpool + Perish song Azumarill is now legal!
  • Body Slam + Iron Tail Sheer Force Tauros is now legal, assuming cross gen trading is implemented.
  • Some things get a really strong Gigavolt Havoc off of Zap Cannon. The most notable Pokemon are probably those who only had access to shock wave or no electric attacks previous. Out of those, I spy Alakazam, Slowbro, Slowking, Flareon, Espeon, and Umbreon
  • I don't really see any cool new Curse users. Most Pokemon that liked it had it annexed onto their Movepool at some point as is. I guess Curse Scizor is something???
  • I hope Crystal get released just so we can have hydro vortex donphan just for the novelty (Phanpy gets Water Gun as an egg move in crystal only)

Pokken Tournament Switch port was pretty much expected. I have neither a Wii-U nor Switch, so I can't really talk about it.

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon being on the 3DS makes sense, considering GameFreak's reluctance of getting out of their confort zone (aka dedicated handhelds with an already huge user base. Switch doesn't really count yet due to shortages). From what little they showed it seems to go for a B2W2 kind of thing, which means slighly bigger region, new catchable pokes and new forms for Solgaleo & Lunala (or maybe Necrozma's the one in control of their bodies?). The 2 things I'm mostly curious is about new possible alolan forms (GF said in an interview they were open to the possibility of adding more due to the good reception they got) and the plot (Team Skull has been disbanded and Aether Foundation is free of Lusamine & Nihilego's influence once the credits roll, so there's no obvious source of conflict other than UBs).

GS on the virtual console's cool, I guess?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Can't really comment on much for now, so here's a few quick opinions:

Pokken Tournament Deluxe: CALLED IT! Though it was kind of obvious looking at what they did with Mario Kart. In the Pokken thread I brought up whether it could also be a sequel like what Splatoon is doing so we would get a new story mode, but I suppose Pokken isn't big enough for that (plus its mainly a fighter and so all people care about are the playable Pokemon). Decidueye is a nice addition, was hoping for more than one all new fighter though hopefully with the new port they'll release for DLC for it. Course there is a downside to this, Wii U players once again get a short end of the stick as I doubt they'll update the Wii U version. I'd hope they would include a few bonus things in for players who have data from the original Pokken (can you transfer your information) like maybe exclusive skins/clothing, but I highly doubt it too.

Pokemon Gold & Silver: Covering these first before the BIG news. Alright, glad they aren't waiting till it's 20th Anniversary. Though wonder why they aren't also releasing Crystal at the same time? Are they hoping that with only GS out that people will buy the version they want first/both, then they'll release Crystal to get those additional sales as that's the version everyone really wants? Oh GF/Nintendo, you money grubbers. If that's the case I say wait till they release Crystal, show them we aren't going to be tricked by an obvious market ploy.

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon: Well, they're here (or the news is)! The "sequel" games to Sun & Moon *hears a sad roar from Zygarde in the distance*! However it's not exactly what we were expecting: it's still for the 3DS. In addition they aren't "sequels" but rather, going with the themes of the game, another alternate dimension (though I'm going to assume on the same Mega Timeline, GF please stop). We aren't shown much to really talk about, well, except for the major two: Necrozma fusion with Solgaleo and Lunala. We were told Necrozma had a connection with the two but we didn't know what, I wasn't expecting another fusion ala Kyurem. Well, we don't know it's fusion yet, all I can comment is their appearance. Solgaleo looks better of the two, hopefully a different angle would give Lunala's some justice. Though, looking between the two, are they made up of different parts of Necrozma? Also what does this say about Necrozma? From the surface, this is looking no different than what Nihilego did to Lusamine when they fused. Are Solgaleo and Lunala in control or is Necrozma using them as a host? Well, questions that'll have to wait to be answered.

Now onto responding to comments.

Something incredibly silly that popped in my head upon seeing the new Solgaleo and Lunala artwork poses.

Don't ask how it happened.

Seeing we are getting it this year, I wonder if VGC 18 will only allow the new Alola Pokedex (as it's stated to harbor more Pokemon).

Alright, now that I've calmed down a bit, one thing I can definitely see them doing in US/UM (side note: these acronyms just get better and better don't they?) is having all of the Mega Stones available in-game. It really doesn't make any sense not to, since when they come out Bank will have been updated for quite awhile. Sun and Moon at least had the excuse of "the player can't get the Pokemon so why give them the stones".

Seeing we are getting it this year, I wonder if VGC 18 will only allow the new Alola Pokedex (as it's stated to harbor more Pokemon).
VGC 2018 will be National Dex like they did with 2012/2013, and then 2015. *crosses fingers that Pentagon and VC Pokemon will be legal*

I'm actually annoyed at the apparent Necrozma fusions. We already had this concept done in Black/White 2, and it just seems unoriginal to do it again. Did we really have to repeat the same gimmick as another game? I really hope this doesn't become the generational norm. The fusions also look dodgy. The Lunala fusion at least gives off an impression of unnaturalness. You can tell that Lunala was not meant to be fused with that thing, which I presume is the intended effect, and it is sort of well done...but what is Solgaleo? Solgaleo + Necrozma looks absolutley stupid.

Also GS VC ports are hype.

EDIT: Also the names Ultra[game] are also really stupid, it just looks kinda cringey/over the top, not sure how to describe it, even Ultra Moon doesn't know what's going on. UM?

Alright, now that I've calmed down a bit, one thing I can definitely see them doing in US/UM (side note: these acronyms just get better and better don't they?) is having all of the Mega Stones available in-game. It really doesn't make any sense not to, since when they come out Bank will have been updated for quite awhile. Sun and Moon at least had the excuse of "the player can't get the Pokemon so why give them the stones".
Going with a time scale, it's possible we are getting all the Mega Stones (with the possible exception of the Diancite as it's the only Mega Stone of a Mythical Pokemon) before these games are released.

Just saying, Solgaleo-Necrozma and Lunala-Necrozma would look better without the arms hanging off of them. They just look awkward and tacky.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Ultra Sun/Moon, Switch Pokken, AND VC GS? Today is a good day. Where's Crystal tho?

Also for those asking about the GS Pokeballs, I hate to be that guy, but like RBY, the games don't save the data on which ball is used to catch a Pokémon.

New Gen VII games are hype, but I never was a fan of the Kyurem fusions, and these look even more tacky

Now that I think of it, could Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon have some sort of relation with the Ultra Wormhole one could open in the post-game of Sun and Moon.

It sounds unlikely as it depends on space constraints (Sun and Moon are already one of the largest 3DS games), I don't think they are going to make Sun and Moon the other side of the Wormhole.

So a few thoughts of my own. First off, the Lunala-Necrozma fusion looks really awkward from that angle, hopefully its 3d model looks better.

Secondly, anyone else think there might be new ultra beasts (the games are Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for crying out loud!). Hopefully there's also new Alolan forms, but the trailer doesn't give any information on it. Also I'm expecting some new signature Z-moves, probably for the new Solgaleo and Lunala forms, and for other popular Pokemon (Mimikyu has gained lots of popularity).

Ultra Sun/Moon, Switch Pokken, AND VC GS? Today is a good day. Where's Crystal tho?

Also for those asking about the GS Pokeballs, I hate to be that guy, but like RBY, the games don't save the data on which ball is used to catch a Pokémon.

New Gen VII games are hype, but I never was a fan of the Kyurem fusions, and these look even more tacky
The fusions remind me of Hoopa. :|

But I really the new designs of Alolan, I hope that it has a better post-game. :)

I think some trial leaders and kahunas will be replaced/promoted.

I wonder who will be the Alolan champion? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)