Pokemon Generations: Anime shorts series featuring game highlights from all generations

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah if your major issue with "The Scoop" is the inaccurate portrayal of physics then I think you're either reaching for reasons to dislike it and/or don't seem to understand that media in general plays fast and loose when it comes to Newton and his buddies.

MST3K Mantra, guys. The physics aren't important.

Am I the only one thinking the chansey looks scary? She and her trainer looked like they were horny the entire episode...

I liked the Scoop though. Nice to see how Deoxys got caught and Mega Rayquaza was badass.
Haha, I totally agree about the first part. If this wasn't a pokemon generations episode, I would have thought the episode was going in a different direction. As for Deoxys getting captured, idk, it just kinda bugs me when any legendary/powerful pokemon is shown being captured in the anime. I guess they couldnt really have just left Deoxys there, but come on, at least use a masterball or something.

Giratina though... o.o

I like this episode. While not as strong as The Scoop / The Cavern imo, it had its strong points (such as the mentioned point of Giratina) and I liked how it was shown along with Dialga / Palkia. Something was definitely up with Cyrus' voice though...like...ugh. Basically the episode was weak but the portrayal of Giratina made it cool.

I liked this; kind of like an alternate what-if-the-hero-hadn't-shown-up.
... turns out we weren't needed lmao

But yeah, I... kind of like this twisted ending where Cyrus goes missing and finds his perfect world in the Distortion World. And then leave it hella ambiguous at the end what happened; did Giratina attack him? Go with him? I love it

I really liked this episode (so same as all the rest pretty much). Mars and Jupiter sounded like they were 6 year old girls, which definitely bugged me, but other than that it was amazing. Once again highlighting the legendaries power and portraying Giritina as a good (well, I guess I wouldn't say good or evil) was cool. How Cyrus managed to use a walkie talkie from another dimension is beyond me. It seemed strangely satisfying that Cyrus got what he wanted without destroying the known universe. I think they should continue to keep the player character out of the picture (or at least off to the side), although I did appreciate their portrayal of the player (Brendan) in 'the vision'. We've all played through the games as the player character (lol duh) so we know what they do and how they feel cause we ARE them, so focusing on how events in the pokemon universe transpire from another point of view or from a multiverse where the player doesn't exist is what really gets me going on this whole series.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I liked this; kind of like an alternate what-if-the-hero-hadn't-shown-up.
... turns out we weren't needed lmao
I mean, they dropped the reason the player had to battle Giratina: that it ripped open a portal that was distorting the main world. Take away the main threat, and sure, no hero needed.

I guess I've been spoiled by the last few episodes, but this one didn't quite seem to measure up. Giratina was cool, and I like how they handled Cyrus at the end, but otherwise it felt short and not that interesting. Oh well, not my favourite gen anyway.

Did it stand out to anyone else that Cyrus' dialogue implied he already knew of Giratina's existence? I don't think that was the case in the game.

The Hoenn episodes were so good that this seemed dull by comparison, but I loved their portrayal of Giratina as a literal shadow. It's capture of Cyrus was perfect - a decent episode overall.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(Watch Here)
0:11: What was that? Giratina? But its suppose to be in the Distortion World watching things unfold. Missed opportunity to now have made it say Mesprit or the other Lake Guardians.
0:25: Hey, um, I think you're kind of missing something from this scene. An important character (and their friend) which whom from we got to see this scene play out in the games...
0:32: Oh, so that's what the Red Chain is suppose to look like. Kinky.
1:01: Hmm, I always imagined Dialga and Palkia's body to be too hard to fold like skin/cloth, that or the Red Chains are tightening a bit too much.
1:39: Why did Cyrus smile?
1:41: And now he's not, was that an animation flub?
1:46: Erm, can someone call Mario, we're going to need F.L.U.D.D..
2:10: I guess that explains where Dialga and Palkia went after Giratina took Cyrus. Speaking of which...
2:24: Dead.
2:55: Giratina be like "Welcome to PokeHell".
3:28: Let me smile in happiness about now being in a world I think is without spirit and emotion. That's not contradictory at all.
4:04: You understand? How? Like yeah "Don't look for me" is a pretty clear statement but do you know why? And how do you know that was him, or if he was talking to you, or if the message didn't get distorted in some way?

Overall an okay episode though doesn't really add much... except showed what it could have potentially have done. At the end of Platinum, or at least the Team Galactic storyline, Cyrus decides to stay in the Distortion World after realizing his dream to create a world without spirit has been ruined. An interesting story they could have done was continue from that point, having Cyrus explore the Distortion World and over time beginning to think that it was the world he was looking for after all. Because originally Cyrus didn't want to stay, he wanted to defeat Giratina and return to the Pokemon world.
So, let's count some of my problems with what this episode changed:
  • No player or Pearl. Okay, I'm alright with them changing the order of events (even though this is suppose to take direct inspiration from the games so that shouldn't happen), but at least have like the player and Barry run up behind Cynthia.
  • Cyrus smiles. A small nitpick, but Cyrus is all about ridding the world of spirit (and thus emotion). He should remain straight face, showing he has given up on this world and what it values.
  • In the games Cyrus said Giratina abandoned him after being taken to the Distortion World, wanted to defeat Giratina as he thought it would make the Distortion World disappear (concluding it was a other half of the Pokemon World thus to make his new world both must be destroyed), and when the player defeated/captured/calmed Giratina and it remained he broke out into anger and frustration. That's when he decides to remain in the Distortion World to learn its secrets but still vowing to one day create his world without spirit.
As I said, there's a story potential in here, but instead of developing it that rehashed the climax of the Team Galactic plot and retconned its ending (which in turn made the players or honestly anyone's involvement pointless because it was doomed to fail). They kind of botched this one which is a shame.
But to give it come credit, the way Giratina rose from the Distortion World/Shadow was awesome and I they at least explained where Dialga and Palkia went after it appeared (it freed them from the Red Chain and they flew off). But those good moments don't outweigh the cons.

1. The Chase
2. The Challenger
3. The Lake of Rage
4. The Scoop
5. The Old Chateau
6. The Legacy
7. The Cavern
8. The New World
9. The Reawakening
10. The Adventure
11. The Vision

I don't think the Player Character is needed in any of these storylines (as in, no need for them to appear in the episode). The only ones where they actually do something are The Adventure / The Vision (iirc). I'm much more interested in the perspective of a side character / just someone else. We already know exactly what happens with the Player Character because we've played the game. I'm more interested in what happens when the Player Character isn't there, so we can experience something new rather than the same old stuff we already know. The Cavern did this well, showcasing what happens when the Player Character isn't there to interfere. We need more of The Cavern, not more of say, The Vision. If the Player Character has to be involved, I would much rather it still be told from another character's perspective (see The Lake of Rage). This is the episode style I want.

The only other type I would want are from the perspective of a character who's events we don't know much about (see The Chase). We knew only that Looker was a member of the International Police and that he helped the Player Character in DPP / XY. He must do other investigations, and I think it was nice that they showed us that (him looking for Giovanni).

Also Pikachu315111 I don't see the issue with them changing the order of events. They still are taking direct inspiration from the games. An exact retelling would be boring since we already know everything.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't think the Player Character is needed in any of these storylines (as in, no need for them to appear in the episode). The only ones where they actually do something are The Adventure / The Vision (iirc). I'm much more interested in the perspective of a side character / just someone else. We already know exactly what happens with the Player Character because we've played the game. I'm more interested in what happens when the Player Character isn't there, so we can experience something new rather than the same old stuff we already know. The Cavern did this well, showcasing what happens when the Player Character isn't there to interfere. We need more of The Cavern, not more of say, The Vision. If the Player Character has to be involved, I would much rather it still be told from another character's perspective (see The Lake of Rage). This is the episode style I want.

The only other type I would want are from the perspective of a character who's events we don't know much about (see The Chase). We knew only that Looker was a member of the International Police and that he helped the Player Character in DPP / XY. He must do other investigations, and I think it was nice that they showed us that (him looking for Giovanni).

Also Pikachu315111 I don't see the issue with them changing the order of events. They still are taking direct inspiration from the games. An exact retelling would be boring since we already know everything.
I agree. But they didn't really explore the idea of "what would have happened in the player wasn't here". They changed Cyrus so that he liked the Distortion World, thus nothing changed. If thy wanted to explore the "what would have happened in the player wasn't here" storyline they would have Cyrus defeating Giratina and continue to use Dialga and Palkia to destroy this world and we'll watch all hell break loose. The Cavern was good because it showed the aftermath of unleashing a deity's power without realizing the consequences and in the end dooming the world. Here it falls flat as they changed Cyrus to being accepting of the Distortion World instead considering part of the Pokemon World thus also needing to disappear.

I also want them to tell how certain events played out from another characters perspective or focusing on another character. What was Cynthia doing while they player & Pearl was battling? What was Cynthia and/or Cyrus doing in the Distortion World when everyone was wandering around? Or how about my idea about what Cyrus did after deciding to stay in the Distortion World? Those are the stories I want to see. Though I'm okay with the alternate possibility story, but DO something with it like The Cavern did.

Though with that all said, it would also be nice to see Lucas get some of the limelight. Also they retold what happened at the end of the Delta Episode in the Scoop, including having the payer, yet that wasn't any less boring. Though what The Scoop did right was having a framing device that added onto the story a bit. Here nothing was added, the consequences weren't fully explored, in the end it all seemed pointless except in retelling the events of the climax of the Team Galactic plot.

• Cyrus smiles. A small nitpick, but Cyrus is all about ridding the world of spirit (and thus emotion). He should remain straight face, showing he has given up on this world and what it values.
I actually liked this because I think the entire point about Cyrus' place in the plot is that you can't rid yourself of emotion and spirit; and that despite his best attempts, he still has it. The point is that it's an utterly ridiculous notion and you're not better off without it.

Also c'mon man, The Cavern was by a longshot the best episode. Ranking it at 7? Really?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm personally confused as to why The Challenger is ranked so high and The Adventure so low. The Challenger has really cringe dialogue and is very obviously held back by its short runtime. The Adventure isn't amazing but it isn't so bad either that it needs to be second-to-last.

Personally, I'd rank the episodes like this:

1) The Cavern
2) The Chase
3) The Scoop
4) The Lake of Rage
5) The Old Chateau
6) The New World
7) The Challenger
8) The Reawakening
9) The Adventure
10) The Vision
11) The Legacy

The Cavern is amazing in that it actually portrays the massive power legendaries are supposed to have. 7th through to 10th are pretty much interchangeable.

1) Cavern
2) Scoop
3) Adventure
4) Old Chateau
5) New World
6) Re-awakening
7) Lake of Rage
8) Challenger
9) Legacy
10) Chase
11) Vision

I know a lot of people liked Chase but I really couldn't get into it. Loved the idea behind it but I just couldn't enjoy the execution at all.
I rank Adventure so high because I'm viewing this series as an anthology - since that is basically exactly what it is - and I can't imagine a more perfect intro than Adventure. It captures everything so well.
It's incredible how much worse Vision is than Cavern and Scoop despite being in a trio with them. Ah well.
Legacy was a bit of a snorefest. Challenger wasn't great but I didn't find myself disliking it that much for some reason.
Re-awakening was really nice and Lake of Rage was a cute little lookback at that part of the game.
Completely loved 1 through 5. Exactly what I wanted out of Generations. of course, it makes sense that the Sinnoh ones are in the 'best' category. It's just the best region.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I actually liked this because I think the entire point about Cyrus' place in the plot is that you can't rid yourself of emotion and spirit; and that despite his best attempts, he still has it. The point is that it's an utterly ridiculous notion and you're not better off without it.

Also c'mon man, The Cavern was by a longshot the best episode. Ranking it at 7? Really?
Maybe had they saved the smile for the end of the episode, having him do that slight smile before doesn't make sense. You are right that the point of the Team Galactic plot was that Cyrus was wrong about emotion and you can't get rid of it, emphasized in the games by him getting angry and Cynthia's final words on the manner. Of course that's after Cyrus plan failed and you can argue that, in Generations, since he considers the Distortion World to be the world he was looking for, he didn't really learn his lesson.

Because what did The Cavern add? My list is based on my expectations for Generations, and while The Cavern was an entertaining "what if" story it doesn't add anything to the lore (as it's a "what if") and I kind of figured if no one stopped Team Aqua that Kyogre would drown the world. Yes, it was neat to see how that happened but then again we've see a lot of awesome scenes so why does that one come off on top?

I'm personally confused as to why The Challenger is ranked so high and The Adventure so low. The Challenger has really cringe dialogue and is very obviously held back by its short runtime. The Adventure isn't amazing but it isn't so bad either that it needs to be second-to-last.
Because it's my list based on what my expectations, thoughts, and feelings? As Taistelu showed you guys can make your own list, I encourage it as it can help gather your thoughts together and show what your expectations, thoughts, and feelings of this series is.

Here's a breakdown for my list:

1. The Chase: What I want to see. It's an original story, Looker is looking for Giovanni (which I doubt is a story idea any of us thought of since we didn't even know Looker was in Kanto) which adds onto what happened in the games (Giovanni and Team Rocket weren't getting off free with their crimes, the international police was indeed investigating them and trying to track them down). And that Viridian Gym raid scene was awesome and something we hadn't seen before: we got to see Pokemon in action but they were being used in logical ways you'd think the police force would use them (we even got some comedy with the guy who decided using Arcanine to create a molten hole to climb through was a brilliant idea.
2. The Challenger: While it wasn't as indepth as we want it to be, we got a glimpse of Blue's Elite Four run. It showed that Blue was indeed completely prepared, he got through without much of a challenge using both type advantage (Pidgeot against Bruno's Machamp), his Pokemon's capabilities (Alakazam using its psychic power to levitate, teleport, and slam Lorelei's Lapras), or brute strength (Blastoise, his Starter, vs Lance's Dragonite). Of course this is something we could kind of predict, hence why I knocked it down a space. So why is it second then? Well first we got to see the Elite Four interact to one another, a rare site thinking about it. And though they were talking about the same subject each one of them had their personality with some being jokey and other serious. Then we add something new to the lore: Blue has a grudge against his grandfather, Professor Oak. We all know Blue is cocky and disrespectful to pretty much everyone, though he always seemed to show Oak respect and often bragged about being his grandson. In the games there didn't seem to be any tension between the two so hinting there was and Blue is trying to show he's his own person and maybe knows and/or is better than his grandfather adds some nuance to Blue which makes sense.
3. The Lake of Rage: We got to see the raid of Team Rocket's Lake of Rage HQ from Lance's perspective. That's pretty much it really, we got to hear his thoughts on the manner as well as seeing how much of a boss him and Dragonite was just plowing through the base and Team Rocket grunts. It sort of reflects how the player kind of feels playing the games if their Pokemon is higher leveled. However it's third because it was the first instance of them sort of rewriting the story to lessen the player's involvement. And it's not a "what if" as Gold is there, Lance talks with him over a radio. Yet Gold does nothing while Lance does everything, it's like Lance is the one retelling the story to his superiors and he's trying to make himself come off looking even better. Plus while it was neat to see what Lance did, we didn't learn anything besides battling Petrel. Also they took out him encountering Silver, major missed opportunity even if they did cut to the end of the battle, we'd at least see what their conversation was like which was a major changing point in Silver's character.
4. The Scoop: Gets its high place for the framing device (Gabby & Ty investigating the meteor incident) and animating the battle between Mega Rayquaza and Deoxys, but gets a few notches off for what I feel was some stupidity which comes at the end. So you told everyone about the meteor but not there was a Pokemon inside it because "the world isn't ready"? How isn't the world ready, we have alien or at least suspected alien Pokemon so another one wouldn't be a surprise, if anything it may help the Space Center get money to continue space research to find these potentially dangerous alien Pokemon and learn about them. Also you suspect someone is stealing "top secret" information and you only come with unarmed guards? Where are the Pokemon, I doubt Gabby would have pulled the stunt she did if there was an Electrike reading to use Thunder Wave on them (or Thundershock/bolt to destroy the flash drive).
5. The Old Chateau: An original story but it didn't really add anything, it was just a neat attempt at a horror story which Pokemon has so much potential for but for some reason never goes out of its way to do. Plus I felt the pacing was off and how they presented some of the scares/creepy stuff.
6. The Legacy: Another original story which does add to the lore but only a little bit. What weighs it down is its just a talking episode. Looker asks Silver about Giovanni, we get a flashback of the HGSS flashback scene where Giovanni and Silver talk, and then we found out Silver is going to challenge the Pokemon League. I like the continuity (taking place some time after "The Chase") and it adding that Silver did eventually go to challenge the Pokemon League, but it is an episode you can read the synopsis on and not miss much. But hey, at least Silver did get some screen time.
7. The Cavern: As I said, an interesting "what if" but adds nothing. Seeing the world ending via Primal Kyogre's power was outstanding and terrifying, but it was something I would have guessed happened if the player didn't stop them.
8. The New World: The other "what if" but it didn't really go all out like The Cavern did. Highlight was Giratina coming out of the shadows and then freeing Dialga & Palkai as if it was nothing, but other than that I feel they kind of made it pointless by just having Cyrus being happy he was in the Distortion World. This idea could have been done better if they had the story take place after the events of the Team Galactic plot and, while traveling through and learning about the Distortion World, Cyrus began liking it and deciding it was the world he wanted all along. However the way they did it here felt rushed and they just wanted to animate the scene where Giratina rose from the shadows (which could have been done in flashbacks and be no less impressive).
9. The Reawakening: This gets low for how stupid it got at some points. Giving Eusine the limelight was alright and was interesting to hear him talk about his obsession with Suicune, and at first it was interesting to see the story of the Burned Tower and its aftermath being told. But then it got stupid. So Ho-oh, one of the Pokemon they treated like a deity, resurrected three Pokemon that perished in the flames (which the people were sad about) and made them into its new heralds. And the first thing these people do is ATTACK THEM. What? It's only to justify why the Legendary Beasts don't like people, something which could have been done in other ways which makes more sense (easiest would be having the people ask them to smite their enemies or expecting them to give them miracles upon demand).
10. The Adventure: First episode and it's just a quick world tour via Red and Pikachu. It had nice moments of action, cameoing locations and (Legendary) Pokemon we're not going to see in the other episodes, and overall gets us hyped. But that's all it does, gets us hyped. It adds nothing, has no story, and since it has to go through 6 regions we don't get much of a feel for one location or the events going on as we need to switch to the next one. Honestly, I'm wondering if we should even rank this episode as is own entity and has a different purpose than the others.
11. The Vision: Okay, this could be opinion and maybe this should be higher, but I just feel they completely got a character wrong, Courtney. Which wouldn't be a problem if the episode wasn't focused on her. Okay, maybe its my fault for giving Courtney a personality based on our first interaction with her in Omega Ruby and trying to apply it to subsequent encounters, but still its a bit of a shock when you think you had a character figured out but then a show based on the series has a completely different interpretation.

Maybe when the series is done I'll reorder my list, but for now this is how I feel about the episodes we've seen so far.

No other episode has showcased the immense power of a legendary quite like The Cavern...any other one...nothing compares to the terror, the fear and the pain Kyogre inflicts. The Cavern is the only episode I feel that truly captures what a powerful legend should look like, Pikachu315111

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)