Pokemon Glitches

not sure if it is a glitch, but on Red/Blue, you can defeat Lance's Dragonite with a lv2 Zubat with toxic. For some reason his Dragonite only uses agility against Zubat. I'll try to provide a video about this...

edit: here I have a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDEB7lzMXvY

As the description explains, in first gen artificial intelligence works so that a poke uses always a super-effective move if it has one. Agility is psychic type so Dragonite spams it vs the poison type Zubat

not sure if it is a glitch, but on Red/Blue, you can defeat Lance's Dragonite with a lv2 Zubat with toxic. For some reason his Dragonite only uses agility against Zubat. I'll try to provide a video about this...

As the description explains, in first gen artificial intelligence works so that a poke uses always a super-effective move if it has one. Agility is psychic type so Dragonite spams it vs the poison type Zubat
Yes, very true. The AI sucked so much in Gen 1.

Along the lines of Toxic, there's also a glitch in Gen 1 where if you used Toxic and Leech Seed, the Toxic damage gain is actually applied to the Leech Seed, effectively giving you enormous HP gains over time.

There were so many coding glitches in Gen 1.

Yes, very true. The AI sucked so much in Gen 1.

Along the lines of Toxic, there's also a glitch in Gen 1 where if you used Toxic and Leech Seed, the Toxic damage gain is actually applied to the Leech Seed, effectively giving you enormous HP gains over time.

There were so many coding glitches in Gen 1.

yeah, i have nothing against gen 1, and i'm sure that the cooler glitches were immensely fun to discover (they certainly are fun to watch and execute), but that coding was pretty bad by normal standards, even back then.

but hey, they had a team of like nine people. i'll cut them some slack.

yeah, i have nothing against gen 1, and i'm sure that the cooler glitches were immensely fun to discover (they certainly are fun to watch and execute), but that coding was pretty bad by normal standards, even back then.

but hey, they had a team of like nine people. i'll cut them some slack.
Actually, the coding was pretty outstanding to cram as much into the game as possible. The number of shortcuts in order to cram everything into the game is what leads to all these really odd bugs.

Actually, the coding was pretty outstanding to cram as much into the game as possible. The number of shortcuts in order to cram everything into the game is what leads to all these really odd bugs.

maybe, but yellow added even more data and fixed many bugs; it can't have been full to bursting if they could add more, right?

It's because Agility is a psychic move, and thus the AI thinks it's super effective. It's not a glitch, just a really dumb AI :P

It's because Agility is a psychic move, and thus the AI thinks it's super effective. It's not a glitch, just a really dumb AI :P
"I'll use this Ps-word move! Those are always good on Po-i-sun types!"

"What? It must have missed, or be like Rollout but starting at 0 BP. Let's try again!"

"It's doing something! I'm moving first now!"

:3

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
The ability change glitch in the Gamecube titles in a double-edge sword... On one hand you can re-encounter a Pokémon with the exact same IV/nature if you don't like the ability, but on the other hand, it makes it almost impossible to know if that shadow Togepi will have Serene Grace as Togekiss.

In FRLG, if you lose to the Rocket grunt on Nugget Bridge, you can still fight him again. Each time you talk to him, he gives you a Nugget before the battle. So you can theoretically get infinite nuggets by losing intentionally. You can't do it in RBY because a flag is set right before you fight him.

Another thing which is actually kinda fucked up: if your roaming legendary uses Roar on you, it disappears from the game FOREVER. Suicune doesn't know Roar, but Entei and Raikou do, so if you didn't choose Charmander as your starter and used your Master Ball for something else (I personally always save it for Mewtwo; for Nuzlockes, Zapdos), you can forget about catching them.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion

That's awesome! I never knew the AI was that stupid. I have to try that on one of my RBY runthroughs.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Another thing which is actually kinda fucked up: if your roaming legendary uses Roar on you, it disappears from the game FOREVER. Suicune doesn't know Roar, but Entei and Raikou do, so if you didn't choose Charmander as your starter and used your Master Ball for something else (I personally always save it for Mewtwo; for Nuzlockes, Zapdos), you can forget about catching them.
Or you can just put them to sleep...?

Or you can just put them to sleep...?
A 6-year-old kid casually playing through would know to do that immediately when he encounters the Legendary Dogs/Cats/Whatevers?

And what if it wakes up? It'll still Roar.

A huge programming oversight, they should've made sure this doesn't happen. Then again, the roaming legends were always very weird.

Let's not forget the infamous Glitch City glitch in Pokemon RBY! By using and abusing the safari zone you could visit a land where everything is glitched the hell out and you walk through walls, on water, and listen to insane music.

You can see how to perform the glitch yourself in this video. It doesn't actually hurt your game or save file (just make sure you don't save inside glitch city without any way to get back out (meaning fly or teleport). You don't actually have to surf outside of Cinnibar island either; running out the timer on different routes will get you to different glitch cities. Just don't do it inside of buildings or in Celadon City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town, Saffron City, Fuchsia City, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cinnabar Island and Vermilion City. It will just take you to the last place you were instead if you run out the timer there.

Oh and if you do it in Yellow version with Pikachu following you it flips the fuck out. Just be warned it also resets its happiness when you do so!

Let's not forget the infamous Glitch City glitch in Pokemon RBY! By using and abusing the safari zone you could visit a land where everything is glitched the hell out and you walk through walls, on water, and listen to insane music.

You can see how to perform the glitch yourself in this video. It doesn't actually hurt your game or save file (just make sure you don't save inside glitch city without any way to get back out (meaning fly or teleport). You don't actually have to surf outside of Cinnibar island either; running out the timer on different routes will get you to different glitch cities. Just don't do it inside of buildings or in Celadon City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town, Saffron City, Fuchsia City, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cinnabar Island and Vermilion City. It will just take you to the last place you were instead if you run out the timer there.

Oh and if you do it in Yellow version with Pikachu following you it flips the fuck out. Just be warned it also resets its happiness when you do so!
Always my favourite part if doing this glitch. Pikachu obviously is self-aware and realized you messed up his game focused on him, and he's getting back at you. Or something.

It only happens about 1/2 the time for me though, the other times he's totally chill about it (though his happiness still seems to reset).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

maybe, but yellow added even more data and fixed many bugs; it can't have been full to bursting if they could add more, right?
It was. I remember reading an Iwata Asks where it's said Satoshi Tajiri (...or somebody else) added Mew right before the deadline by removing some devkits/debug tools present in the coding, and it left juuuuust enough space to cram a new pokémon into the coding. As in, after adding Mew, there were only a few bytes left.

(inb4 that's what caused MissingNo)

I am having fun messing with glitches in my blue version. I'm sure most of you have heard about the Mew glitch before, which allows you to catch mew in the generation I games by using some trickery with various trainers. You can also use it to encounter various glitch Pokemon and trainers, though you have to be careful doing so as some of them have moves which can muck up your game.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch tells you all about how to do it yourself. It's fun to muck with. Oh, and something they don't tell you in this...

You can actually modify the level at which you encounter the Pokemon by affecting the attack stat of the Pokemon whose special stat you're using for the glitch. This is beneficial because using Growl or another attack lowering move until the Pokemon's attack can be lowered no more, you make it so the Pokemon you encounter with the glitch is level 1. Level 1 is unusual because the Pokemon caught actually has NEGATIVE total experience (-55 to be exact), so if it gains experience that's less than 55 it'll jump straight from level 1 to level 100.

The problem with THAT though is that it skips ALL that Pokemon's level up moves. Still, it can be used to obtain level 100 Pokemon extremely early in the game very easily.

Just as a quick warning, never allow level 1 Pokémon to go to the PC in RBY; it screws up your save file. Have a spare slot in your party when you catch them, and glitch them to 100 before you think about depositing them.

^To clarify on the above, what happens is that the game will freeze if you attempt to withdraw a Pokemon with negative EXP, as something goes wrong when it tries to calculate its level and/or stats. This includes the rather infamous Lv0 'M from the Old Man glitch. I have had the unfortunate experience of seeing this firsthand.

I am not sure if it is still possible to release the Pokemon. If it is, then releasing it should fix all problems. If it isn't, then it's stuck in the PC forever (unless you transfer it out through Pokemon Stadium), and you'll have a problem on your hands.

Here's another cool little thing.

Missigno is a lot more difficult to successfully encounter in Yellow than in Red and Blue. Not only do you have to use the Mew Glitch mentioned above since the easier to perform Old Man glitch has been removed, but half the time the game will crash as soon as you encounter it.

Sometimes it won't crash though. Instead, it'll play THIS (warning, horrible horrible noises inside that link) for the next 7 and a half minutes. After which, yes, you will be able to encounter and catch it. Oh, and sometimes it won't play this either, just some other, much shorter cry. But that's no fun is it.

And after you DO crash it and get back to the overworld, there'll be a whole bunch of copies of YOU walking around, glitching over the whole screen. Thankfully, simply flying or teleporting or entering a door stops that from continuing, and any further graphical glitches can be fixed simply by viewing the pokedex page of a non-glitched pokemon.

This is all on top of the old stuff from Red and Blue, making Yellow's Missingno one of the most intersting glitch Pokemon of all!

Has anyone mentioned the Celebi egg glitch in G/S/C? I think had something to do with a bad clone and two Sneasels that knew "Beat Up".

It was. I remember reading an Iwata Asks where it's said Satoshi Tajiri (...or somebody else) added Mew right before the deadline by removing some devkits/debug tools present in the coding, and it left juuuuust enough space to cram a new pokémon into the coding. As in, after adding Mew, there were only a few bytes left.

(inb4 that's what caused MissingNo)
well, yeah, i remember that now, but...

what about yellow and gold/silver? i know they simplified some stuff for gold/silver, but it was overall much more; and yellow didn't really take anything out, just added. how was that possible if red and blue were ready to pop? i am seriously genuinely curious, if you know.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
well, yeah, i remember that now, but...

what about yellow and gold/silver? i know they simplified some stuff for gold/silver, but it was overall much more; and yellow didn't really take anything out, just added. how was that possible if red and blue were ready to pop? i am seriously genuinely curious, if you know.
Maybe they simply used a bigger cart. Just like they don't have to use anthing bigger than a 256MB card for BW1, they probably used a smaller storage device for Red/Green.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)