Programming Pokemon Online replay player

Status
Not open for further replies.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Well.. this is pretty awesome. Great job!

BTW, are you sure you fixed the part where you get an extra pokeball if an action happens to an already fainted pokemon? I also got that same error at turn 5: A lulzy ru battle

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I've introduced animated sprites. Some pokemon don't actually have animated sprites, and very few have back sprites... :| So they'll sort of be "mixed in".

If you guys want animated back sprites, go make them. <_<

BTW, are you sure you fixed the part where you get an extra pokeball if an action happens to an already fainted pokemon? I also got that same error at turn 5: A lulzy ru battle
Well, I mean, I fixed it when drain happens to an already fainted pokemon. Now I fixed it for gems and most other things, too, but I can't guarantee it'll be fixed for every action.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
about the porygon2 issue:

http://aesoft.org/pokemon/replay-zdrup15-vs-Chieliee--28-maart-2011-at-13h51

(note: this battle is from a time where I was really noobish xD)

Anyway, I'm really glad to be able to help
Fixed.

http://aesoft.org/pokemon/replay-Colle-vs-RedGalaxy--2011-08-17

Here's the battle with the white herb. My gorebyss uses it. It says the white herb isn't recognized, and so the negative defense stats remain on screen. turn 20.
Fixed.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Well, I mean, I fixed it when drain happens to an already fainted pokemon. Now I fixed it for gems and most other things, too, but I can't guarantee it'll be fixed for every action.
Oh, I don't know much about programming >.> Sorry if I sounded, you know, too condescending. I just thought that all of those would be put into a single code. As other people already said, this is fantastic work.

This is amazing, best thing since Obi's pokemon AI. The only thing I can recommend is displaying a percentage over the HP bar. The huge amount of effort and detail really shows, job very well done.

Out of curiosity, what language did you use?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Oh, I don't know much about programming >.> Sorry if I sounded, you know, too condescending. I just thought that all of those would be put into a single code. As other people already said, this is fantastic work.
Heh, no worries, I didn't take it in a condescending way.

By the way, I like how your pokemon are named like in Pokemon Special. ^^

This is amazing, best thing since Obi's pokemon AI. The only thing I can recommend is displaying a percentage over the HP bar. The huge amount of effort and detail really shows, job very well done.
I see you're using the praise-feedback-praise sandwich. ;)

Amusingly enough, while most of the other things I haven't done are coding issues, the reason there's no HP bar percentage yet is for design reasons: I haven't thought of a good place to put it where it doesn't look ugly.

Out of curiosity, what language did you use?
JavaScript (jQuery) for the graphics engine, and PHP for the converter. The graphics engine is some pretty nice code (although not very commented), and the converter is the worse spaghetti you'll ever see.

Here's what the converter looks like:

http://aesoft.org/pokemon/converter.src.php

And here's what the graphics engine looks like:

http://aesoft.org/pokemon/battle.js

If you click "convert again" under a replay, you can see what the converter looks like in action.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I don't know if someone has said this already, but Healing Wish and Lunar Dance don't restore properly. It only shows restoring 50% HP, when it should be all.
Again, when reporting bugs, please link to a replay that experiences them.

Because of that, I'm lead to believe that Wish itself may only show healing 50% HP, rather than 50% of the Wisher's HP
That's true, but that's because PO replays don't store information such as the Wisher's HP.

I've been talking to coyotte, the creator of PO, and the next version of PO (will be released in a few days) will have replays with that kind of information.

Here's a test game played using a prerelease version: http://aesoft.org/pokemon/replay-Stormclouds-vs-aeo--2011-08-18

It has more accurate recoil values.

Amusingly enough, while most of the other things I haven't done are coding issues, the reason there's no HP bar percentage yet is for design reasons: I haven't thought of a good place to put it where it doesn't look ugly.
Maybe heighten the HP bars and add text with an outline?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Maybe heighten the HP bars and add text with an outline?
Wow, that actually looks pretty nice.

I doesn't look like it fits the rest of my design, though. :/

I added HP a different way. Do you like it? I'm not entirely satisfied with it, so I'm quite open to suggestions.

At first I was apprehensive about animated Pokemon spirtes, but that demo sealed it - animated sprites are good shit.

I was pleasantly surprised when Darmanitan's back-sprites were moving :d

Thanks, aeo.
I got my animated sprites from Arkeis. I'm going to run gifsicle on them to make sure they run at the same speed on all browsers (and probably slow them down) as soon as I can.

Arkeis's site is also the only place I've found back sprites. He didn't have a "download all sprites" button, so I just grabbed some OU pokemon and some other pokemon I recognized and uploaded them:

http://aesoft.org/pokemon/sprites/bwbackani/

If anyone has a more complete collection of back sprites, that'd be great.

I like where you put the HP, it fits nicely and is easy to see. The only thing I'd change is make the text shadow offset "1px 1px" instead of "1px -1px" to make it more cohesive with the rest of the design (imagining the light source is at the top of the page).

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I tried uploading a log of two other people playing (not myself) and this message came up:

"Error: Replay file must an English Pokemon Online replay file."

Help?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Fixed.

I tried uploading a log of two other people playing (not myself) and this message came up:

"Error: Replay file must an English Pokemon Online replay file."

Help?
That's the error message I give when there's no line that says:

"Battle between <A> and <B> started!"

Could you upload your replay somewhere? Megaupload, perhaps?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm really liking the moving sprite update. This is looking better and better by the day. Great work so far!

Um.....i cant view any of the replays.....i press play and nothing happens at all. is it my computer that's unable to play to play it or something wrong with the site?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What license is the source code released under? Is it free and open source software or proprietary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)