Pokemon Presents - 26th Feb 2021

...Did anyone else's heart sink like a stone immediately after reading that the announcement would be a Pokemon Presents and not a Pokemon Direct?
I completely missed this and got very worried when I read your post before the start of the presentation yesterday. I just saw that it was going to be a live announcement and immediately thought it was going to be a Direct so I never even looked at the title of it. But even if it wasn't a Direct, it felt a lot like one, and what we got from it was satisfying for me.
Porygon-Z in the trailer implies Platinum dex for those who were worried
BTW, for those worrying if they are going to use the Platinum Dex or not, worry not. Porygon-Z was using Hyper Beam in the trailer.
I hate to be such a pessimist... but PZ in the trailer just means that it will be in the games, not necessarily in the regional dex. Still, I'm not sure if they would showcase a Pokémon which is only available in the post-game in the very first pre-release trailer, so I hope and believe you two are correct about this.
As I suspected there is some good and some bad, but one thing is certain: please take out your notebook, this is a textbook example on how not to start and carry out a presentation. Pure chaos.
I agree to an extent. The beginning of the presentation was really meh (did they really need another two-minute timer after the actual video had started?), the video stopped a few times when I watched it (and it seems like it happened for most others too) and then it ended very abruptly (because they ran out of time? Poor planning or what?). But apart from this, I thought the actual content and the main presentation in itself was just fine. I'm not an expert on presentations, but I can't find anything major to fault it for apart from these three things.
Anyway, I'm been kind of burned on the franchise as a whole, so I'm gonna wait for reviews before purchasing. Right now, I'm not totally convinced especially because the game does not visually appealing at all. But on the other hand, Pearl was my first game, and I love Pearl, so its 100% faithful, I could see myself playing it.
Mostly the same for me (Pearl was not my first game, but my first 4th Gen game at least). I think the games has the potential to be great, but at the same time, there are many things I'm worried about. So I'm not sure yet.
Well a quick heads up, you're going to be making them across this and 3 other threads. And honestly the one here isn't going to really have much meat to it.
Yeah, I already made two posts in the threads for the games now that they each have a thread. I still want to reply to you, but in order to not derail this thread too much (especially now that free speculation is no longer allowed), I'll just send you a PM instead, hopefully later today.

While we're at it, I have some more thoughts on the presentation in general. I think someone else mentioned it here, but I am also a bit unhappy about how they showcased basically everything from Pokémon but almost completely excluded the manga. There are also some side-games they could have shown more of (or at all). But even so, I liked the presentation. Watching it was exciting, just as I had hoped. I had looked into the leaks a little so I knew we were getting D/P remakes, but I had now idea about Legends, the announcement of it really surprised me! Being surprised by a new thing in the presentation was the one thing I wanted the most. It happened, and that made me happy. While the games they announced were not among the things I wanted the most, they were not what I was worried about either, so I'm satisfied. I'm currently not convinced when it comes to getting either Legends or BD/SP, but I am definitely a little interested in both. As said in the threads for the respective games, I'll wait until we have more info about them before I decide whether to get both, just one or nethier of them. On a scale from 1-10, my excitement/interest/hype is at 6 for Legends and 5 for BD/SP right now. It might seem low, and it probably is. But since I am currently burnt out on Pokémon, my interest just can't reach higher levels for things related to Pokémon that I'm not super interested in.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's an LED glowstick. Never seen this model before, but now I know it exists. Apparently, this one's a Japanese toy called Pokémotion, a Gen 3 toy that produces holograms by swinging it left and right. Its holograms can display Pokémon sprites or be used to signal others.
I think I would've loved to have one of these as a kid.
Thank you! Certainly an interesting toy (here's the article on it on the Nintendo Wiki), I did a quick search and aside from a few images on Google I only found one video on Youtube showing it off (Warning: If you're expecting her to show off a lot of Pokemon, don't, there's like a minute tops of her using it and the remaining time she just spends talking about the thing & the difficulty she had getting it):

Still, feels like a random inclusion... until you read some trivia about it. So, I'm guessing when they were selling it they had a storefront display set up with a device that rapidly shook a Pokemotion back and forth to off some images. Jump forward to Nintendo working on the Wii MotionPlus accessory and having a problem with it: after thousands of shakes it would disconnect from the Wii remote (as in the Wii Remote would stop reading it's attached, not that it actually fell off). However it would have been very difficulty to manually test what's causing this without giving everyone tester carpal tunnel syndrome. So, instead, they used a batch of the Pokemotion storefront displays they had in storage to rapidly shake Wii Remotes to discover the fault and fix it. So, yeah, the Pokemotion had involvement with making the Wii MotionPlus a thing, if not directly (and tbh if it didn't exist I'm sure Nintendo would have made a shaking device, heck I'm surprised they didn't already have one).

Though, that all said, I couldn't help but also notice this bit of information: "The director of the project was Shinya Kawada, who had previously taken part in the direction of projects such as the Mobile System GB, Pokémon mini and the Nintendo Power download service". Hmm, the director also worked on the Mobile System GB and Pokemon Mini, I wonder if Mr. Kawada didn't have a hand in helping make the intro video...

But even if it wasn't a Direct, it felt a lot like one, and what we got from it was satisfying for me.
As I and Kanburi discussed on page 3, I think Pokemon has simply just renamed their "Directs" as "Pokemon Presents".

and then it ended very abruptly (because they ran out of time? Poor planning or what?)
I think it was because of all the buffering it did during the "live streaming". It was actually a preloaded premier video so likely scheduled to play for a certain amount of time, but while playing the video in the backend ended up having to buffer a few times (watched a few people's reaction videos and it's funny that each one attempted to "fix" the problem by lowering the quality thinking it was an issue on their end, lol) but the video timer didn't stop. So by the end the timer had reached it's end but the video hadn't, thus it getting cut off.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Come to think of it, with two games of different release dates being announced at once, it could be a few years before we're getting another main series announcement. I doubt we'll get another until Pokémon Day 2023. Granted, it has been two years since the last one as well, if you don't count the SwSh DLC announcements.

Honestly this may be a hot take but am I the only one who felt like that timeline thing in the beginning dragged on way too long? Don't get me wrong, it was super cool, but did it have to go on for eight whole minutes?! They could have easily cut that thing in half and used the extra four minutes to show off one of the already-announced spinoffs that we haven't got any info on yet (probably Detective Pikachu 2).

also we STILL don't have a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game with Alola and Galar Pokémon

Honestly this may be a hot take but am I the only one who felt like that timeline thing in the beginning dragged on way too long? Don't get me wrong, it was super cool, but did it have to go on for eight whole minutes?! They could have easily cut that thing in half and used the extra four minutes to show off one of the already-announced spinoff that we haven't got any info on yet (probably Detective Pikachu 2).
I actually agree. I know they need to make an intro to tell the history in every "direct" when they announce "big games", but they keep repeating "Anime, trading card, Mainline game, niche game, popular spin off, movie" over and over again. Even the "creative" editing didn't help much. They could have mentioned each thingy one and be done.
Instead they flexed for way too long.

Honestly this may be a hot take but am I the only one who felt like that timeline thing in the beginning dragged on way too long? Don't get me wrong, it was super cool, but did it have to go on for eight whole minutes?! They could have easily cut that thing in half and used the extra four minutes to show off one of the already-announced spinoffs that we haven't got any info on yet (probably Detective Pikachu 2).
I agree the thing was just...way too long and honestly not that interesting.

But realistically if they had anything to show of other spin offs, they likely would have just...showed it off and it would have just been 24 minutes instead of 20. Pokemon Sleep, Detecitve Pikachu 2, etc either has nothing to show or they want to show them off on their own later.

I'm curious what TPCi plans to do for VGC 2022, assuming the pandemic is over by then (please...). I can't possibly believe that there's going to be another main series game between "early 2022" and August 2022, so:
  • It can't be Legends Arceus, since that's 100% officially confirmed to be single-player only.
  • If it's BDSP, then Sword/Shield will never get a VGC. I'm also interpreting the trailer statement "this game will feature all Pokemon in D/P" to mean "this game will only include the Pokemon in D/P". This means no VGC with Gen 8 Pokemon and a VGC with only up to Gen 4 Pokemon.
  • If it's Sword/Shield (similar to VGC 2019 being USUM instead of Let's Go), then the VGC will be using a game that is three releases old and three years old, which might feel weird and/or not be as good for their marketing purposes, etc.
Of course, there are more interesting possibilities than this, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm curious what TPCi plans to do for VGC 2022, assuming the pandemic is over by then (please...). I can't possibly believe that there's going to be another main series game between "early 2022" and August 2022, so:
  • It can't be Legends Arceus, since that's 100% officially confirmed to be single-player only.
  • If it's BDSP, then Sword/Shield will never get a VGC. I'm also interpreting the trailer statement "this game will feature all Pokemon in D/P" to mean "this game will only include the Pokemon in D/P". This means no VGC with Gen 8 Pokemon and a VGC with only up to Gen 4 Pokemon.
  • If it's Sword/Shield (similar to VGC 2019 being USUM instead of Let's Go), then the VGC will be using a game that is three releases old and three years old, which might feel weird and/or not be as good for their marketing purposes, etc.
Of course, there are more interesting possibilities than this, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
I'm of the opinion (a bit optimistic, but I find it realistic as well) that with DP remakes and Arceus Legends launch, we'll get a final free update for SwSh with the rest of the missing pokedex, and that SwSh will regularly get a final GS cup VGC before moving to gen 9.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)