Pokemon Riddle

@Cards

1: Edited.

2: You're right, I thought that Haban berry reduced dragon type moves regardless of whether they were SE or not.

Flame Orb Blizzard Milotic!

In all seriousness, I believe Eo is correct. Maybe check your calculations again (I'll check mine to see if any of the can survive)?

edit: oh nevermind, it is impossible if it has to be outspeeding garchomp.

What...?

Your solution is Choice Scarf Glaceon's Blizzard? Is that what you're telling us? It is the only one out of those five EUM mentioned that can outspeed Garchomp and OHKO...

You're serious? I don't believe this...

+0 Adamant 252 Garchomp's Outrage vs 6 HP Glaceon: 73.16-86.40%
+2 Adamant 252 Garchomp's Outrage vs 6 HP Glaceon: 145.96-172.06%

Another thing: even if Garchomp didn't have a Swords Dance under its belt, it's still impossible for Garchomp to inflict 80% damage exactly to Glaceon. If 92 is chosen as the random number, Outrage will inflict 79.41%, which would round down to 79% on Shoddy. If 93 is chosen as the random number, Outrage will inflict 80.51%, which would round up to 81%.

Look, all we ask is that you check and double-check yourself to make these riddles doable. That's not too much to ask, is it?

I give you all 8 hours to solve it. Nobody was 100% right until now. I know it is true, I tested it a lot on Shoddy when Garchomp was OU.

It is not Milotic, Milotic is unable to outspeed Garchomp without Scarf. With Scarf Milotic won't survive.

All information until now.

- X survives +2 Outrage.
- X OHKOs YacheChomp.
- Y is an STAB Ice move.
- Z makes X able to do all this.

Though I wasn't in all of the fuss on this riddle yesterday, I was watching all this happen, and though I still don't have the answer, I think Y is Ice Shard. This gives Z an option to be something else other than a Scarf. I've tried to find an item that will help in taking Outrage, but without success. I think this is part of the answer. Don't blame me for trying something new if I've got it all wrong.

Not that I never thought about it before, but Mamoswine's Choice Band STAB Ice Shard does only does 74.30% max to YacheChomp. And that's for Adamant, but it's mentioned that X has a +Speed nature, so Jolly does even less.

The main issue is how anything without defensive EVs (and only 6 HP) takes only 80% damage from +2 Outrage...

I am 100% certain that Y is not Ice Shard and here's why:
I will post the answer tomorrow. I'd like it if more people would try to answer this. No Regirock (Regirock can't learn move Y and has too low Atk/SAtk for this), no Arceus (Arceus fits but is not the intended solution). The 80% damage is a minimum. However, X is never OHKOed without SR damage by Adamant YacheChomps Outrage.

X does NOT have defensive EVs (except for 6 HP EVs) and Outrage is NOT resisted.
When this was first posted, it was originally "Regirock can't learn move Y and has too low SAtk for this." He gave away right there that Y is a Special attack. If it was Physical, then first saying that Regirock's Special Attack was too low was a mistake. It may very well have been a typo, but he's been so adamant about this solution that I don't believe this is the case. Besides, it has already been determined that X is either Walrein, Articuno, Cloyster, Lapras, or Glaceon, and bar Cloyster, they all have higher Special Attack.

Speaking of that, let's see the strongest effort each Pokemon can put up against Chomp while outrunning it:

-Walrein - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 79-94%
-Articuno - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 79-94%
-Cloyster - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 72-85%
-Lapras - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 72-85%
-Glaceon - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 104-122%

That's why I put forth the solution of Glaceon's Choice Scarf Blizzard because it was the only one of those 5 that could OHKO with an Ice move. Apparently, though, that's not it...

And while I'm thinking about it, it's not Sheer Cold because you can't have personal experience in OU with a banned move. Just getting that out of the way.

Speaking of that, let's see the strongest effort each Pokemon can put up against Chomp while outrunning it:

-Walrein - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 79-94%
-Articuno - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 79-94%
-Cloyster - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 72-85%
-Lapras - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 72-85%
-Glaceon - Choice Scarf Blizzard: 104-122%

That's why I put forth the solution of Glaceon's Choice Scarf Blizzard because it was the only one of those 5 that could OHKO with an Ice move. Apparently, though, that's not it...
Hmm, that's strange. When I did calcualtions for Blizzard from Scarfed Lapras, it had the possiblilty of OHKO'ing. Did you put 252 EV's into SpA?
As proof of this, here's a calculation of Scarfed 6/252/252 Timid Lapras with Blizzard against the YacheChomp with 6 HP EV's:
269 Atk vs 206 Def & 358 HP (120 Base Power): 338 - 398 (94.41% - 111.17%)
If Lapras can do it, any other pokemon on your list can do it too. The problem is surviving Outrage, and that's why this is unsolvable.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Man, if AquaMilotic's answer isn't incredibly good I'm probably gonna lock this one down because there's just too much potential for dishonest/lazy users to send people on a big circlejerk. It was a novel little thread at first but I think its just about ran its course. I spent way too much time going over this one yesterday and I daresay CotH did the same so you can understand why I'm a little miffed to see that it's completely impossible and merely a product of aquamilotic's inability to do simple damage calculations. Use this in future - http://libelldra.com/competitive/damage/

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't really feel like doing a bunch of calculations but has anyone considered the battle conditions being Tailwind or Trick Room?? The Giratina-O could've been scarfed, making Garchomp moves first /shrug

That said this is probably impossible!!

Edit: Oof my bad. It's ~impossible~

I will post the answer in one and a half hour. I used the PokeMeadow (Dutch Pokemon site) stat calculator for it. There, it does around 80%-95%. And I linked to a youtube video showing my answer is right on Shoddy some months ago. Somebody wanted to test it on Shoddy (I used Garchomp and that other person used a team of default Bulbasaurs and a X, I used one SD and then X switched in, surviving Outrage and killing Garchomp). I use Pokemeadow, not Libdrella. Either the test went wrong and PokeMeadow is wrong, or Libelldra is wrong.

Amazing! I remember testing something like this a few months ago against someone with a username like yours. I'm not 100% sure if it was infact you, but here is what I remember:

I was supposed to let my opponent (the Garchomp user) SD up on a switch to a Bulbasaur, and then he would make it faint with EQ. I then would switch in Glaceon on the free switch-in turn and KO with Ice Beam (through Yache), while outspeeding it with my Choice Scarf.

I actually still have the test team, and here it is:
Code:
pwn (Glaceon) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Quick Attack
---
Bulbasaur (M) @ Nothing
Ability: Overgrow
EVs:
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Amnesia
---
Bulbasaur (M) @ Nothing
EVs:
- Amnesia
---
Bulbasaur (M) @ Nothing
EVs:
- Amnesia
---
Bulbasaur (M) @ Nothing
EVs:
- Amnesia
---
Bulbasaur (M) @ Nothing
EVs:
- Amnesia
---
If it was infact you I did this test with, and if you based this riddle on the given test battle, you've got it wrong. You gave me a free switch-in, thus getting rid of the 'impossible' part of this battle. Amazing! I'm still shocked...

Then again, if it isn't you.. well.. go figure. =/

@Edit: Aqua, do you maybe remember me as 'hz111' or 'testmehz'?

And lee: If this really is the case, please don't lock this thread. This thread is enjoyable when it's active, and most of the riddles are fun to do. Not all of them screw up at the end. Why don't you give this thread another chance?

FYI, I tried out the PokeMeadow damage calculator for the five aforementioned Ice Pokemon (Articuno, Cloyster, Glaceon, Lapras, Walrein). I don't think it's perfect, but I am getting similar results from it and from my calculator. (You should get similar results from Libelldra, too.) Not one of those Pokemon survived the +2 Outrage according to PokeMeadow. Now it really looks like a PEBKAC.

@ post above: Well, that would explain a lot, wouldn't it? XD

Another thing: 252 SpA Glaceon's Ice Beam vs 4 HP Garchomp: 99.44-117.88%. That's still not a guaranteed OHKO like you said it was!

Another thing: 252 SpA Glaceon's Ice Beam vs 4 HP Garchomp: 99.44-117.88%. That's still not a guaranteed OHKO!
1%, what a big deal. lol
I remember doing this with someone with 'Aqua' in it's name, but it's not guranteed to be him. He did mention a lot of things 'inforcing' his 80% claim, so I'm not sure. We'll have to wait for him to explain.

Well, if you say it's a guaranteed OHKO, then it better be a guaranteed OHKO. That's all I'll say on that.

In any case, this little fuss isn't enough to close the thread over. I'd keep it on a short leash, though...

EDIT: Anyway, there's nothing more to see here. If you didn't see it, the intended solution was Choice Scarf Glaceon's Ice Beam, but you can see what happened. Let's make some more riddles!

I was searching for a Garchomp counter some months ago and found this and I wanted to test it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEcQ...=firefox-a&emb=0&aq=f&feature=player_embedded

I remember you, Blue Tornado. I accidentally gave you a free switch (Outrage, not Earthquake). But the riddle wasn't based on our battle, but on another one. I tested it once more (I don't remember against who, I remembered that person told he did not use defensive EVs on Glaceon), there it worked and Glaceon took the Outrage without dying. I did the calc more than half a year ago, I don't know if the calculator has been updated or made more accurate (PokeMeadow revamped the whole site including all calculators some months ago), which could be, by me it gave 80%-95% for Outrage, also giving a guranteed Ice Beam OHKO. I tested it with several people. I don't see where, but I probably made a mistake. Lee, do not close this thread, one mistake doesn't ruin an interesting thread. I will never post riddles again, then that problem is solved. CardsOfTheHeart, I said and typed later 'AROUND 80%', not exactly, I made my riddle out of my head. I just used an old calculator, if the old one was wrong. I don't remember the exact damage. Please do not close an interesting thread because of one mistake. If I know my riddle was wrong, I wouldn't have posted it. I will run the calcs with Libelldra, this will also clear things up for me. I thought my riddle was good. I didn't mean 'to send people on a big circlejerk'. From now on, I will just use the Libelldra calculator. Sorry for all this.

I used the Libelldra calculator for this and I found that Glaceon indeed can't survive.

This was the intended answer.
X=Glaceon
Y=Ice Beam
Z=Choice Scarf

Woah, AquaMilotic just got banned. Does this have something to do with this riddle? (I'm serious, Lee was pretty pissed off)
I guess now we'll never know if I'm right... lol
I would've submitted another riddle, if I had an idea for one. =/

He spammed several people asking to delete his account and posted the solution with an alt. (It really was supposed to be Choice Scarf Glaceon's Ice Beam.) There, can we drop it now?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'll leave this thread here since a few people have expressed an interest in keeping it open but I think it's best if we move on quickly! Please, please test your riddles using the damage calculator I posted on the last page and if you've any uncertainty at all about one feel free to PM me or CardoftheHeart (sorry CotH!) and we'll look over it for you.

(I didn't ban him)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)