Pokemon Riddle

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's okay. Sorry if I went overboard on you. I didn't see the Scarf-edit during my edits. From the initial post it looked as if someone was trying to take this interesting thread and dump on it. I guess I have simply been in the bad vibes of GameFaqs too long.

Yeah I see that now, I answered too soon and was not privvy to that info. Jumpluff was one of the many in my edits however, hahah.
It's all right. My riddle didn't come out as well on paper as I would have liked, I just kind of forgot all the random extra Pokemon with Scarf. This is what I get for trying to think too hard at this time of night...

Really though, just keep the thread up, I really love the concept, just learn from my mistake and go over it twice, lol

This thread's pretty interesting! Hm, ok, I came up with my own! Hopefully, I didn't make any mistakes. There should only be one answer. Actually, it's probably not too hard to figure out. And, I did the EVs of the two pokemon involved based on one of the EV spreads mentioned in the smogon analysis of those pokemon - might as well say also then that they're both fully evolved.

Here goes:
Turn 1:
X used Surf!
Y lost 21%.
???
Y used Z.
???

Turn 2:
Y used Sucker Punch!
X lost 23%.
X used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
Y lost 42%.
???

Turn 3:
Y used Return!
X lost 29%.
X used Ice Beam!
Y lost 14%.
???

Hm, actually, this should be really easy. I dunno, maybe it's just because I'm the one who made it, so it just makes sense.

EDIT: woops, forgot one extra line of ???. Should be correct now. Also, I'm not saying anything about their items. They could be holding nothing, or they could be holding anything. Who knows...

This thread's pretty interesting! Hm, ok, I came up with my own! Hopefully, I didn't make any mistakes. There should only be one answer. Actually, it's probably not too hard to figure out. And, I did the EVs of the two pokemon involved based on one of the EV spreads mentioned in the smogon analysis of those pokemon - might as well say also then that they're both fully evolved.

Here goes:
Turn 1:
X used Surf!
Y lost 21%.
???
Y used Z.
???

Turn 2:
Y used Sucker Punch!
X lost 23%.
X used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
Y lost 42%.
???

Turn 3:
Y used Return!
X lost 29%.
X used Ice Beam!
Y lost 14%.
???

Hm, actually, this should be really easy. I dunno, maybe it's just because I'm the one who made it, so it just makes sense.

EDIT: woops, forgot one extra line of ???. Should be correct now. Also, I'm not saying anything about their items. They could be holding nothing, or they could be holding anything. Who knows...
nevermind... i'll think about it

Hmm that one is just bizarre. I actually can't think of a pokemon that could be Y. Skarmory, Delibird and Articuno are the only ones that seem to fit that type combo, and none of those learn Sucker Punch. Also I don't know what could come after Surf, since it has no added effects.

O yah, Y is definitely the hardest one to get. X should be easy. Z is... not too hard I think. But yah... I guess that's why it's tricky. But once you think of the answer for Y, you'll know for sure that it's right.

I can give a hint after some time I guess, if needed.

Y is a Kecleon!!!!! That's why X use Surf first, it became weak to T-bolt.

Turn 1:
X used Surf!
Kecleon lost 21%.
Kecleon became Water type!
Kecleon used Z.
???

Turn 2:
Kecleon used Sucker Punch!
X lost 23%.
X used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
Kecleon lost 42%.
Kecleon became Electric type!

Turn 3:
Kecleon used Return!
X lost 29%.
X used Ice Beam!
Kecleon lost 14%.
Kecleon became Ice type!

Have to work out the rest though xD

Kecleon doesn't have a Trick Room set.
I think he used Trick. Tricked a Lagging Tail onto Lanturn or something. Macho Brace maybe.

A possibility:

Turn 1:
Lanturn used Surf!
Kecleon lost 21%.
Kecleon used Trick.
Kecleon switched (Lanturn's item) with Macho Brace!

Turn 2:
Lanturn lost 23%.
Lanturn used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
Kecleon lost 42%.

Turn 3:
Kecleon used Return!
Lanturn lost 29%.
Lanturn used Ice Beam!
Kecleon lost 14%.
Kecleon became Ice type!

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kecleon learns both Trick and Trick Room.. And both could actually fit this situation.

True. That looks more likely.

Turn 1:
Lanturn used Surf!
Kecleon lost 21%.
Kecleon used Trick Room.
Kecleon twisted the dimensions!

Turn 2:
Lanturn lost 23%.
Lanturn used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
Kecleon lost 42%.

Turn 3:
Kecleon used Return!
Lanturn lost 29%.
Lanturn used Ice Beam!
Kecleon lost 14%.
Kecleon became Ice type!

Whoa.. o yah, I forgot about tricking lagging tail / macho brace. Looks like I did make mistakes after all. But yah, my answer was Trick Room, so Gratz! Yeah, it was Lanturn & Kecleon.

EDIT: Oh, I suppose Trick could technically actually be 2 lines of ??? so Trick Room is the only solution, but honestly I just totally forgot about Trick.

Thanks.

But yah, neutral Surf did 21% while Neutral Ice Beam did 14%, so that means it must get water STAB.

A SE Thunderbolt did doubled the damage a Neutral STAB surf did (42%), which means it must get electric STAB. Only Lanturn gets water + electric STAB.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
My current 2 are unanswered.
Ludicolo's surf was not vey effective against X
X has already been mentioned.
Y factors in a few facts.

On the other puzzle rollout is incorrect due to shaky accuracy.
Smeargle is a 3hko only when it attacks.
The pokemon gains stab on the move.

I'll keep thinking of more.

Good job guys :)

Yeah, there are actually quite a few pokemon that learn the Surf/BoltBeam combo, so I had to make the distinction with the water + electric STAB.

Good job getting Kecleon though!

EDIT:
@Dogfish: For the Ludicolo one... how is it possible for us to know the Y% damage done when Ludicolo only used Toxic and Rain Dance in the other two moves, so we have no idea what its EV spread might be...

EDIT 2:
Also, for the Steelix one, I think there can be quite a few answers for what A is? i.e. Steelix's explosion isn't that powerful, so it could be that the pokemon just survived the explosion with less than 1% health, while ?? is activating some sort of berry. Or, ?? could be Chilan Berry weakening Explosion, which would open up an even larger # of pokemon? Of course it could just be focus sash too.

Everyone's at lvl 100, 31 IVs, 0 EVs, no items. It's pretty easy, but I think I've got something more clever in mind now.

A used Dark Pulse
It's super effective!
B lost 80% of its health
B used X
??

A used Sunny Day
The sunlight got bright
B used Y
It's not very effective
A lost 14% of its health
B's Attack rose! B's Defense rose! B's Speed rose! B's Sp Atk rose! B's Sp Def rose!
The sun is shining

B used Hypnosis
B's attack missed
A used Dark Pulse
B lost 20% of its health
B fainted
A lost 25% of its health
Player sent out Azumarril

Azumarril used Aqua Jet
A lost 33% of its health
A used Z
It's not very effective...
Azumarril lost 50% of its health
The sun is shining

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
Yeah, there are actually quite a few pokemon that learn the Surf/BoltBeam combo, so I had to make the distinction with the water + electric STAB.

Good job getting Kecleon though!

EDIT:
@Dogfish: For the Ludicolo one... how is it possible for us to know the Y% damage done when Ludicolo only used Toxic and Rain Dance in the other two moves, so we have no idea what its EV spread might be...
EV's are always zero in every puzzle. Assume same rules as OP

OK, I found a solution that works, but then I'm not sure if you're only using average damage, because my solution only works if A rolls minimum damage vs Smeargle... and if the ?? can actually be 2 lines long.

Dogfish44 switched in Swellow
Enemy 3 switched in Steelix
Swellow used Rage
It’s not very effective
Steelix lost 2% of health
Steelix used Explosion
Swellow lost 100% of its health
Swellow hangs on with Focus Sash. Rage increases Swellow's Attack.
Steelix Fainted

Enemy sent out Smeargle
Swellow used Rage
Smeargle took 25% damage (minimum damage)
... I'm thinking it's probably wrong, so maybe I'll keep thinking.

Everyone's at lvl 100, 31 IVs, 0 EVs, no items. It's pretty easy, but I think I've got something more clever in mind now.

A used Dark Pulse
It's super effective!
B lost 80% of its health
B used X
??

A used Sunny Day
The sunlight got bright
B used Y
It's not very effective
A lost 14% of its health
B's Attack rose! B's Defense rose! B's Speed rose! B's Sp Atk rose! B's Sp Def rose!
The sun is shining

B used Hypnosis
B's attack missed
A used Dark Pulse
B lost 20% of its health
B fainted
A lost 25% of its health
Player sent out Azumarril

Azumarril used Aqua Jet
A lost 33% of its health
A used Z
It's not very effective...
Azumarril lost 50% of its health
The sun is shining
A=Absol
B=Driftblim
Y= Silver wind
X=T-bolt?
Z=Iron Tail?

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
OK, I found a solution that works, but then I'm not sure if you're only using average damage, because my solution only works if A rolls minimum damage vs Smeargle... and if the ?? can actually be 2 lines long.

... I'm thinking it's probably wrong, so maybe I'll keep thinking.
HI SCORE!!!! Correct

And just to keep you going have a fish ><>' and a new puzzle

Dogfish44 sent out X
Enemy4 sent out Cloyster
Cloyster used Spikes
Spikes were scattered on your opponents side of the field
X used Y
Cloyster lost 41% of its health

Cloyster used Toxic
X was poisoned
X used Y
Cloyster lost 28% of its health
X lost 6% of its health due to poison

X used Y
Closter lost 31% of its health
Cloyster fainted

Again, who is X and who is Y?

HI SCORE!!!! Correct

And just to keep you going have a fish ><>' and a new puzzle

Dogfish44 sent out X
Enemy4 sent out Cloyster
Cloyster used Spikes
Spikes were scattered on your opponents side of the field
X used Y
Cloyster lost 41% of its health

Cloyster used Toxic
X was poisoned
X used Y
Cloyster lost 28% of its health
X lost 6% of its health due to poison

X used Y
Closter lost 31% of its health
Cloyster fainted

Again, who is X and who is Y?
Too lazy/tired for such damage calculations..
So we know...
X=/= Steel/Poison type.
X's base speed is 70.
Huge variance in damage output from X
Neutral Attack, and must be quite a sizable Attack stat, or a moderate SpA.

Edit: Based on it's base speed it is most likely out of these: Hitmontop, Delcatty, Lunatone, Noctowl, Butterfree, Solrock, Breloom (without poison heal), Mightyena, Mantine, Dewgong, Luxray, Ludicolo, Poliwrath, Politoed or Castform.
Cloyster usually has a bold/relaxed nature with no speed IV's.
With Bold nature it sits at 176 speed and with a Relaxed nature it's at 158.

Okay, so X must either have Base 70 Speed, or it must have Quick Feet. Since the damage output varies so much, Y could be either Present or Psywave. Psywave can't do 28% damage to Cloyster, so I'm going to say that Y is Present. The only Pokémon with Present and either Base 70 Speed or Quick Feet is Granbull. So in conclusion:

X = Granbull
Y = Present

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)