Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm a pretty positive minded, "Yay, Pokemon! Pokemon is fun!" kind of fan, but the last two games are making me a bit pessimistic about Gen 9 being so soon.

Open world sounds really cool, but I'm skeptical because I don't notice problems unless they're obvious and Legends Arceus has some problems that stand out like a sore thumb. The grass in the first area blowing in the wind seems like it can have seizures, the brightness sometimes flickered if it was dark enough and the camera was at the wrong place or angle, and anything that lets you say "There's a squirrel stuck in a tree" speaks for itself. (I'm not talking about a Pachirisu running up a tree, even though that's a really good example, I'm talking about a Pachirisu that got clipped into a tree.) Maybe I'm nitpicking because I'm noticing problems, but again, I don't notice problems.

The one thing that I would hate more than anything if it came back is the thing that still makes me cringe at the idea of playing BDSP, forced affection. The idea of having easy mode forced on me... That alone would make me skip this game, and I've bought every main game since Emerald! (Except BDSP. I would've gotten BD if they fixed the issues with Diamond and didn't introduce another massive one.) Maybe it's a minor thing for most people that only comes up a few times, but I will hate winning if I win because it happens and I use Rest enough times that it will cure Sleep a lot. I know I'm probably overreacting, but this fear alone has me skeptical about if SV's in game will be any good until the leaks.

As much as I hate Dexit and am still pissed off that I can't have all my Pokemon on one game, I have to begrudgingly admit that it's not all bad if it lets them add more details like Seviper's scales and Lucario's fur. I can only hope that they will be able to bring back every Pokemon some day... Maybe in Gen 12... if we're lucky... Being in denial sucks. >:(

I want to say something out right positive, but the one thing I like most makes me feel a little confused. It's not a complaint because I love the grass starter, but why does Sprigatito remind me of Unikitty from the Lego Movie?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
oh my god you're right it DOES look a bit like Unikitty

I think it's the eyes

thanks a lot I will never be able to unsee it
I think it's also the mouth and tail.

I'm not sure I'm more sorry about making it ununseeable or more glad that I'm not the only one that sees it and that it means someone may make a Sprigatito/Unikitty fan art. (I don't care if it's a Lego Sprigatito or shipping. I just want to see it. :P)

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The one thing that I would hate more than anything if it came back is the thing that still makes me cringe at the idea of playing BDSP, forced affection. The idea of having easy mode forced on me... That alone would make me skip this game, and I've bought every main game since Emerald! (Except BDSP. I would've gotten BD if they fixed the issues with Diamond and didn't introduce another massive one.) Maybe it's a minor thing for most people that only comes up a few times, but I will hate winning if I win because it happens and I use Rest enough times that it will cure Sleep a lot. I know I'm probably overreacting, but this fear alone has me skeptical about if SV's in game will be any good until the leaks.
I don't think forced affection will be a thing in Scarlet and Violet imo. Sword and Shield didn't have "forced" affection bonuses since it made sure to cap Friendship before the point where they would activate unless you used Camp, and Legends: Arceus didn't have affection bonuses at all as far as I can see. Both of those games were made by Game Freak and are by all means the real, proper Gen 8 games, so it's better to look to those to see what they will probably do this time with the debut Gen 9 games.

BDSP was a secondary concern and an inscrutable mess made by an outsider company that had no prior experience developing a Pokémon game, and the forced affection was likely a result of them not realizing the affection mechanics was tied to the Friendship mechanic, and they likely incorporated it because it was a "Gen 8" mechanic but didn't implement it properly, and yet still used the Gen 4 friendship system that goes all the way to 255 because that's how it was built in Diamond and Pearl and apparently they had to make almost everything exactly as it was in the OG DP, all the while many of the "Sword and Shield" mechanics that were implemented in BDSP, including the affection system, were implemented incredibly sloppily alongside old Gen 4 mechanics. I don't think that kind of situation will happen again with the kind of inscrutable sloppiness that BDSP ended up being because it was outsourced to a company that had no prior experience with the series and had an inscrutable level of creative control.

Scarlet and Violet are a more proper mainline game that GF is actually working on and considering Sword and Shield and Legends: Arceus don't have the "forced" affection bonuses, and neither did any mainline game before them, I don't see Affection being implemented in the sloppy manner that it was implemented in BDSP.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
all in all, the animatronic pikachu was the best part of the presentation
I'm pretty sure that was CG.

And of course, the question awaits as to what the cover legendaries will be like! Considering this game's titles are just colors, integrating them into the cover legendaries' designs will be simple, as they will likely just be scarlet and violet in coloration. Will they have a third legendary to form a trio with? This is something to look out for.
Hmm, being a theory that the titles are referring to Infrared and Ultraviolet, maybe the Legendaries will be based on animals that are able to see into that range:
What I’m hoping for is that we get the OG forms of each of the Galar fossils. Velociraptor, Stegosaurus, Dunkleosteus, and... whatever the Arcto- mon is supposed to be got done dirty.
I'm not so sure we'll ever will because, if we could revive them to their individual form, why couldn't we in SwSh? Why did we need to combine fossils, and is only half of their bodies ever found and not the other?

Now I wouldn't be against seeing an actual attempt at those prehistoric animals, but they would be completely new Pokemon instead of what the Galar Fossils would have looked like if they weren't fused.

if thats the case i hope the legend isnt a dragon lol. and if it is im afraid of a guzzlord 2.0
Yes, please, another Type for the Psuedo aside from Dragon!

Zarude is the main evidence of this, but the hinting at the next region's location has been going since Gen V so it'd be weird to end it for no reason here.
To me this theory is just as "evident" as the Fire-type Starters being based on the Zodiac.

:blobglare:
since... when? sometimes they straight up insert made up stuff but when was the last time two different cultures (or even different regions) were mashed up together?
Unova notably purposely included certain things from other countries. The Tubeline Bridge between Icirrus City and Opelucid City is based on the Forth Railway Bridge that's in Scotland, the Abundant Shrine more hints toward a Japanese inspiration, the Abyssal Ruins are possibly based on the Yonaguni Monument in Japan, and then Gen V Pokemon are based on animals or concepts form all over the globe.

Kalos they kept things very French probably as a reflection to Unova. Unova was meant to be a melting pot like New York City, meanwhile Kalos has the deep history of France to delve into.

Alola I can see shades of other island countries such as Australia and Japan as well as a few tropical locations. A lot of this is usually represented via certain Pokemon species.

Galar is similar to Kalos in that is digs deep into the history of the country it's based on... and it just so happens that country was involved in global expansion. Sure, everything is UK, but the UK thing may have been something that was adopted from another country which the British empire had colonized. As with the others, Pokemon usually covered the references.

anyways, fuecoco is my favorite and i hope it stays a quadrupedle crocodile, even though Feraligatr is REALLY cool. game freak dont ruin its evos PLEASE
Or if they make it a biped go the Godzilla/T-rex route and not the humanoid route.

I think if any of the starters are gonna be humanoid, it's gonna be Quaxly. It's already bipedal and the giant ass tuft of hair on its head looks like a sailor's hat.

Definitely gonna be a navy admiral of some kind
Once again, GF, GET YOUR OWN IDEAS!

Quaxly has an established motif, but it's not clear what that motif is, exactly. A lot of people (including me) think it looks like a sailor of some kind, but a not-insignificant number of people see its hat and outstretched wing and their mind immediately jumps to matador.
Mind if I throw another suggestion: I look at the hat and, while I can see where some people get sailor cap, I see something else: newsboy cap. What if it becomes a flying delivery person?

All have symbols again on their bodies. Square for fire. Fue coco means goes boogeyman/scarecrow but world fue could be from fuel scary- also Google says fire crocs are venomous, squares mark toxic waste.... Duck has a wave, reverse wing, navy, water style fighting and maybe crane? Cat has a lotus, desert plant or what is it? Desert plant hope cactus related or that grows on rock.
You're trying to apply real world stuff where it doesn't fit. Like I don't think any one was able to predict Grookey becoming a drummer, Scorbunny becoming a soccer player, and Sobble becoming James Bond. OR Rowlet becoming an archer, Litten a heel wrestler, and Popplio a mermaid. Or Chespin a knight, Fennekin a mage, and Froakie a ninja. Etc, etc.. It really hasn't been since Gen IV have the base Starters designs given any major hints what the final forms are gonna look like which isn't just their animal and initial Type.

Your player character is a student of one of two rival Trainer's Schools depending on version. The two schools are competing to see who can have one of their students beat the region's Pokemon League or fulfill some other region-specific major objective first. With this setup friends in one version become rivals in an another and vice-versa, with the main rival being the final boss.
Huh, oddly enough, a while back, after a discussion about how Alola were the only games to mix the formula up by not having a League but something adjacent to it (and it's hard to separate Pokemon from the League setup) I made a personal list of ideas of quick ideas about a Pokemon game having "League alternatives". One idea I did have was competing Pokemon schools, though my idea was that it was a big Trainer School tournament where each school would have a top student who would be the Gym Leader replacement.

Ultra Necrozma to make a big return stuffed with ultraviolet and infrared light.
Actually it was already stuffed with the stuff we just couldn't see it.

So a guy from Spain went into great depth on how the new region is very reflective of Spain, and how he is excited to see it portrayed:

Awesome! This was a type of breakdown I was hoping for! :bloblul: And also nice to hear that Spanish twitter is having a good day, always nice to see the Pokemon franchise able to connect with a big group of people and getting them excited. :blobthumbsup:

So the zodiac theory might not be dead. Just learned on Twitter today that male crocodiles are apparently called bulls, and female crocodiles are called cows. It's honestly a stretch, especially since I imagine the Japanese terminology for how they describe male/female crocs is way more important, but it's still a pretty funny coincidence if nothing else.
I saw a lot of Gastrodon during the "year of the cow" celebrations (apparently, sea slugs are called "sea cows" in Japan, whereas that would be a manatee in English), so this miiiiight be possible?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
People talking about Magnemite and Seviper retextures and yeah they're sick but let's not sleep on my funny stonehenge buddy

1646041902582.png
1646041906869.png

Honestly this might be the starkest one by virtue of how recent Stonjourner is. He's our only confirmed returning Galar mon so far and yet in just 3 years he got a real nice visual glowup, so proud of him

I like this theory that fuecoco will turn out to be ghost/fire based on a Spanish boogeyman folktale:

If it turns out to be true, I just hope they stick the landing with the final form, unlike H-Tyhplosion :( ... and gen 8 starters (though I guess Rillaboom grew on me).
My mom always told me when I was a child that if i behave badly the coco would come and eat me. Tbh, I didn't expect the coco to look like this.

I like this theory that fuecoco will turn out to be ghost/fire based on a Spanish boogeyman folktale:

If it turns out to be true, I just hope they stick the landing with the final form, unlike H-Tyhplosion :( ... and gen 8 starters (though I guess Rillaboom grew on me).

I think spain doesn't deserve a cuca starter, yall are lame as fuck with it. Brazil does it better

I'm not so sure we'll ever will because, if we could revive them to their individual form, why couldn't we in SwSh? Why did we need to combine fossils, and is only half of their bodies ever found and not the other?

Now I wouldn't be against seeing an actual attempt at those prehistoric animals, but they would be completely new Pokemon instead of what the Galar Fossils would have looked like if they weren't fused.
Cuz Cara Lisa is a hack. But paradoxically also kind of genius for inventing a Pokemon-fusing machine. Most of the other fossils were able to be revived with much less, so it’s not much of a stretch to assume a proper fossil revival would get all it would need from the Galar fossils to accurately recreate them.

Since my post yesterday, I have been thinking a bit more about these games. To start with, some more thoughts on the games themselves. I am still more interested in Scarlet than Violet, one more reason being that I think “Scarlet” sounds a lot cooler than “Violet”. Both of them are colors, but I thought about them a little more and realized that they are not only colors, but also female names. Though it seems like “Scarlett” is the more common spelling for that name, then there’s also a third variation which is “Scarlette". I wonder if the fact that they are names in addition to colors means something? Either way, I thought it was quite interesting.

As said yesterday, I’ll wait for the cover legends before making my final decision on which version to get. Said version will be my third overall Pokémon game for the Switch. But I thought about another thing regarding the game covers: I hope there won’t be any cover legends this time around. Instead, I hope they will skip those and do a cover similar to that of L:A which IMO has the best cover in the main series to date. Or make some sort of combination: both having the cover legends and a more inspiring cover like the one L:A has.

The games will have a dexit and I am not surprised about that. Looking back now, none of the Pokémon games for the Switch have all existing Pokémon available, and I guess this is going to be the future from now on. I don’t like dexit, and I never will. The main reason I am still getting newer games is for the new Pokémon, as long they have any. These games will have new Pokémon, so that's good. I also wonder what the new generational gimmick or super mechanic will be for this generation. I guess Dynamax/Gigantamax will be gone, and I am fine with that. I thought it was okay, but I didn't like it as much as Megas or Z-moves so I will not miss it.

As for the starters, I have grown a bit more used to them now, they are still weird but not that weird anymore. Right now, I like Sprigatito the best. Partly because I like cats and it looks the most appealing to me. If I go with Sprigatito, it will be the first time since Gen 5 where the Grass-starter is my first choice. I don’t care if the final evolution ends up bipedal, I am still willing to give it a chance. I like Quaxly too, while Fuecoco is my least favorite (it is still okay though). Sprigatito also looks like it is going to be the “cool” starter of the trio, while Fuecoco will be the "funny" one, and Quaxly looks like it will be the “serious” one. That is my impression from their official art at least.

I am still very unhappy about the release date. As other people pointed out, it feels like they are rushing out these new games to get some quick money and it might have negative effects for Pokémon in the long run. I really think they should have given those games more development time in order to (hopefully) have made them better. As for me, the release happening this year has made me feel stressed. I really wish they had waited with releasing these games until next year, it feels like that would have been a better decision from almost every perspective.

I have nothing against the games themselves or the new Pokémon, though I am a bit worried about the fact that it will be open world, seemingly more open than L:A or the wild areas of S/S if we go from how the games are being described. I hope they can pull it off and do it well, but the concept does not exactly make me super excited. Apart from that, I think that everything about the games themselves so far is fine, my main issue is the release date.

I think I will do something similar to what I did for S/S and not spoil myself too much for the games by looking into all the pre-release info. It is going to be harder this time around since I am going to spend a lot of time on the forums this year, I have some different projects in the works. But once we have a little more info (a proper release date, the game covers and a few more new Pokémon) I will stay out of all the threads and info for S/V.

In the end, I have a hard time looking forward to the games because of their release date, my hype for them isn’t very high. I am going to get one of the games, likely Scarlet based on what we know right now, on or close to the release date. I hope I can complete as much as possible of the other games I have planned to play during this year before these games are released. But as said yesterday, it will be difficult and I wish things had turned out differently.

Also I really don't like the starters I legit thought they were fakemons... Croc looks half an Applin....
I actually love all 3 starters, but I do agree when I opened up my phone and saw them, I thought they were fake. Sprigatito I swear was a green palette swap of Rockruff. Maybe some Fennekin legs in there too. It took me a while to realize it was even a cat.

But please, for the love of Arceus, can we stop saying Fuecoco is an Apple. It’s a chilli pepper (if anything), and I don’t know where people have seen horn shaped apples before. Also, he’s a fire type. And Spanish. And Spicy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)