Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

View attachment 448580

This Persian is definitely not Ghost, it looks different from Water, and it looks different from the Grass Breloom we've seen. We also saw a Flying Drifblim.

True that this Persian isn't necessarily Ice (Rock would make more sense), but it's a massive stretch to suggest it's definitely Fire.

The fact that Grass-Terastalise Breloom was used to show off the Loaded Dice strongly implies it doesn't require an item.
It's normal type persian. we saw it labeled as normal in the trailer that showed this off.

Because people are getting confused:

Tera gimmick icon is a crystal thing that pops up before the crystals envelop the mon, pops up for all type teras.

We have seen normal (ring w big gems), fire ( chandelier), water (fountain), grass (flowers), flying (pikachu balloons), and now ghost (lavander town gen 1 ghost)

I think if there was a held item they would have mentioned it by now. All evidence points towards the Tera Orb being a key item.
You don't need an item. Look at breloom in the trailer showing off the new item while being in tera form. That confirms that any pokemon at anytime can tera form (so like dynamax)
Sweet, that's what I was hoping for.

Imagine some of the competitive sets that could arise from this. I'll give an example of one in particular that I will definitely be using. Specs Hydreigon with a Steel tera-type.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Tera-Type: Steel
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Going from a 4x weakness from Fairy moves to resisting it while getting STAB on Steel? Clefable and other Fairy types are gonna get whomped.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Have they confirmed whether or not Pokemon need to be holding an item to jump into their Tera forms?
I know that you have to have the Tera Orb or whatever, but I couldn't find anything specifying whether it's just a key item in the inventory or an item that a Pokemon has to hold in order to Terastalise.
Breloom was shown in this trailer using the Loaded Dice while Terastalized into Grass, so that does confirm that there's no held item for Teras

Honestly i do think its kind of fun they took hidden power out and decided to make a gimmick out of it. One might say its overcreeping hidden power, but imo theres a big difference between getting free coverage if youre a special type vs committing to the mono type for a whole game. Its a lot more flexible on when you can use it but now you have to pick your one user for the game and weight the loss of your stabs and defensive capabilities for the ones you get when terastallizing. Monotypes have less of a gamble when going for the super stab but tbh a lot of monotypes suffer for being monotype (other than water ones ig LOL) and have to see if getting more stab for it is worth it vs being able to finally get stab on something else

Honestly i do think its kind of fun they took hidden power out and decided to make a gimmick out of it. One might say its overcreeping hidden power, but imo theres a big difference between getting free stab if youre a special type vs committing to the mono type for a whole game. Its a lot more flexible on when you can use it but now you have to pick your one user for the game and weight the loss of your stabs and defensive capabilities for the ones you get when terastallizing. Monotypes have less of a gamble when going for the super stab but tbh a lot of monotypes suffer for being monotype (other than water ones ig LOL) and have to see if getting more stab for it is worth it vs being able to finally get stab on something else
I think Terastilizing will be used as a way to handle boost sweepers via type advantages/disadvantages, or as a mid or late-game cleaner to take advantage of certain key threats being taken down. The monotype aspect I think is what keeps it balanced, especially because, as you said, you're stuck with that type the whole game, meaning that the opponent can plan around that quickly if they need to do so.

Technically, though the Magnet Pull trapper wins anyway. Their job was to eliminate your Steel-type, and well, now you don't have a Steel-type.
There could be some gimmick or viable strategies involved with this though. For example, imagine Magnezone using Tera to become a pure Electric type. It's essentially still the same threat level, but now with only a 2x weakness to Ground instead of 4x, and it loses its Fighting / Fire weaknesses

There could be some gimmick strategies involved with this though. For example, imagine Magnezone using Tera to become a pure Electric type. It's essentially still the same threat level, but now with only a 2x weakness to Ground instead of 4x, and it loses its Fighting / Fire weaknesses
The question was about terastylizing something like Ferrothorn or Skarmory to escape Magnezone.

The question was about terastylizing something like Ferrothorn or Skarmory to escape Magnezone.
In that same regard, imagine Ferrothorn becoming Fighting type as a lure with STAB Body Press, or Skarmory becoming Ground type. Sure you've eliminated a Steel type, but you've also created a whomper of a physical Fighting attacker who uses its own Defense to tear through the team, which at that point could be even more dangerous than the Steel type.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
To add to my previous post; Lower-tier mons, Ice types, Rock / Steel, or Rock / Dark hybrids could be quite a bit more viable (in this new meta because they can make themselves immune to Fighting-type attacks with Ghost tera type, or they could resist Rock with Steel tera type, etc). Imagine something like Stakataka being immune to 4x Fighting, or Linoone setting up Belly Drum Extremespeed with no weaknesses, or Volcanion becoming immune to Ground attacks with a Flying tera type.

Hell, Zygarde-10% could be viable in OU with something like a Fire tera-type to get rid of its 4x Ice Weakness. People aren't getting the magnitude of this. Tera types are more a more significant gameplay change than Megas, Z-Moves, or even Dynamax / Gmax are. Frankly, from what I've seen of this, it could be the best thing to happen to comp Pokemon in a LONG time.

There is so much room for variety, experimentation, and creative teambuilding I don't even know where to begin!
There's no question that lots of Pokemon that would love to change their type, but I think you might be looking at it the wrong way for some of the terrible Type combos. Part of what makes some Pokemon with bad types okay or even good is their STAB and Terastallizing to the same type lets you buff one STAB at the "cost" of losing the other type. Aggron and Stakataka would love to buff their Head Smash and Gyro Ball on offensive sets and Zygrade's Thousand Arrows is what makes them so good. Buffing that and not getting OHKOed by Ice? Sounds sweet. Basically, the best looking Terastal users to me don't have to chose between Super STAB and Defensive Typing advantage because changing to a Mono Type does both.

I'm not going to say Offensive Pokemon don't want to change their type though. Flash Cannon Hydreigon is brought up a lot as a lure and Magnezone is usually going to turn into a Fighting, Fire, or Ground Type. It doesn't need Tera Blast for Fighting if it goes for Iron Defense + Body Press.

Ice Types though, yeah. No question about the defensive ones. Mono Ice wants to change type and most part Ice want to lose a type if they don't want to change both. Avalugg is viable in OU as an Ice type, so imagine it when it can turn into a Steel type! Defensive Pokemon look really interesting because they don't lose much from losing or changing STAB.

I'm not entirely sure about if Tyranitar wants to lose the Rock Type, but becoming Pure Rock for keep Sandstorm's SpD buff is tempting. Flying for resistances to Fighting, Ground, Grass, and Bug looks neat if it if you're okay with the Rock weakness.

Side Note: I can't say Rock/Dark is a low tier type the only Pokemon with that typing is Tyranitar. :P

All that said, keep in mind that not commiting a Pokemon to Teralize lets you have flexability with who you Teralize instead of being comitted to one Pokemon that needs it to be viable.

In that same regard, imagine Ferrothorn becoming Fighting type as a lure with STAB Body Press, or Skarmory becoming Ground type. Sure you've eliminated a Steel type, but you've also created a whomper of a physical Fighting attacker who uses its own Defense to tear through the team, which at that point could be even more dangerous than the Steel type.
Except now it's weak to psychic, flying and fairy and it doesnt check 90% of the things it checked before.

People always think of the "upsides" of changing type without realizing it also has downsides.

New Pokemon Cyclizar. Looks like a lizard but also a bicycle. Anyone's guess what this could evolve into...

New attack, Shed Tail. Switches with a party member while also making a Substitute. Smogon tried to ban it, but dry passing is back baby.

New item, Mirror Herb. Copies opponent's boosts sort of like a consumable Psych Up.

New item, Loaded Dice. Makes multi-hit moves more likely to hit more often. Like a weaker Skill Link. Breloom segment confirms tera-thing doesn't require an item slot so double Adaptability Specs Porygon Z gets to happen.

New attack, Terra Blast. Changes type depending on Terra type. Tera Blast will be a TM and is physical or special based on which stat is higher. The type change also only occurs if the user is Terastillized, so it is Normal type if the Pokemon using it isn't Terastillized.

Also Coalossal taking half water damage confirms Terra forms are monotype and completely replace the old typing, so no chance of triple-types.

Not mentioned in the trailer but posted on the official website - Covert Cloak: An item that protects the user from additional effects of moves. Think Shield Dust but as an item.

I posted this before Serebii did. Look at me, I'm your Pokémon news now.
Joe Merrick is going to sue your behind.

Except now it's weak to psychic, flying and fairy and it doesnt check 90% of the things it checked before.

People always think of the "upsides" of changing type without realizing it also has downsides.
That's the overall point I've been trying to make with discussing Tera types so much. It's balanced; each new type switch has new advantages and disadvantages, and so what could be a blessing for one team could be a hard death knell for another.

There's no question that lots of Pokemon that would love to change their type, but I think you might be looking at it the wrong way for some of the terrible Type combos. Part of what makes some Pokemon with bad types okay or even good is their STAB and Terastallizing to the same type lets you buff one STAB at the "cost" of losing the other type. Offensive Aggron and Stakataka would love to buff their Head Smash and Gyro Ball on offensive sets and Zygrade's Thousand Arrows is what makes them so good. Buffing that and not getting OHKOed by Ice? Sounds sweet. Basically, the best looking Terastal users to me don't have to chose between Super STAB and Defensive Typing advantage because changing to a Mono Type does both.

I'm not going to say Offensive Pokemon don't want to change their type though. Flash Cannon Hydreigon is brought up a lot as a lure and Magnezone is usually going to turn into a Fighting, Fire, or Ground Type a lot of the time. It doesn't need Tera Blast for Fighting if it goes for Iron Defense + Body Press.

Ice Types though, yeah. No question about the defensive ones. Mono Ice wants to change type and most part Ice want to lose a type if they don't want to change both. Avalugg is viable in OU as an Ice type, so imagine it when it can turn into a Steel type! Defensive Pokemon look really interesting because they don't lose much from losing or changing STAB.

I'm not entirely sure about if Tyranitar wants to lose the Rock Type, but becoming Pure Rock for keep Sandstorm's SpD buff is tempting. Flying for resistances to Fighting, Ground, Grass, and Bug looks neat if it if you're okay with the Rock weakness.

Side Note: I can't say Rock/Dark is a low tier type the only Pokemon with that typing is Tyranitar. :P

All that said, keep in mind that not commiting a Pokemon to Teralize lets you have flexability with who you Teralize instead of being comitted to one Pokemon that needs it to be viable.
Absolutely valid points, but I'd like to roll back around to another point I was making in that Tera advantages / disadvantages are entirely dependent on what Pokemon you use and how you use them.

Tera types mean that, in my view, you don't have six Pokemon. You have six and a half Pokemon. So while sure, it means that the Pokemon with better assets like TWaves Zygarde will still have an advantage, something can still pull out a whombo-type switch complimenting an unexpected coverage move.

A lower-tier example would be Masquerain with a Water tera-type. Quiver Dance with STAB Hydro Pump / Surf / Scald while losing the disadvantages of the awful Bug / Flying for pure mono water? That alone could bounce it up a tier or two.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Absolutely valid points, but I'd like to roll back around to another point I was making in that Tera advantages / disadvantages are entirely dependent on what Pokemon you use and how you use them.

Tera types mean that, in my view, you don't have six Pokemon. You have six and a half Pokemon. So while sure, it means that the Pokemon with better assets like TWaves Zygarde will still have an advantage, something can still pull out a whombo-type switch complimenting an unexpected coverage move.

A lower-tier example would be Masquerain with a Water tera-type. Quiver Dance with STAB Hydro Pump / Surf / Scald while losing the disadvantages of the awful Bug / Flying for pure mono water? That alone could bounce it up a tier or two.
Now that I think about it, the best Special Flying STAB is Air Slash or Hurricane and Bug is resisted by a ton of stuff... I haven't slept well lately so I thought, "Why use Surf when you have Tera Blast? It's probably going to have a good Power. You get Water attacks either way." (80 Power is my pessimistic guess and 100 is my optimistic guess.) Then I remembered Tera Blast is Normal if you haven't Terastallized... You can get STAB on Water, but with Tera Blast opening up so many possibilities, why not go with an even more unexpected type? How about Tera Ground for taking on Electric and Steel too? It's much more of a commitment because you don't have Ground attacks until you Terastallize, but I'd probably fall for it expecting Water.

Offensive Pokemon that only spam one attack changing type lets them spam a different attack and is kind of like sacrificing one Pokemon to gain a different one... I think I'm starting to come around to the idea of changing type for Offense. (I was already on board with Clawitzer, but Mega Launcher makes that different.)

I hope Terastal isn't too broken for 6v6 Singles because it messes a lot with how the game works in a very interesting looking way. (I'd be okay if it was banned in Monotype though because stuff like Tera Water on Mono Fire feels like cheating.)

volcarona @ timbs
ability: flame body
252/252 timid
ground tera
quiver dance
flamethrower/fire blast
bug buzz/gigadrain
tera blast

cancels pex and heatran. is also a qd sweeper so im sure this isnt the only viable tera type it can run. good times!
I'm really starting to think I was over focused on the Super STAB part of Terastal... Screw Tera Fire.

Terastal might be broken.

View attachment 448552View attachment 448553
The ranked battle menu is pretty sleek compared to SWSH, with a nice capital font and a very stylized background. Rental teams return but the download rules option is gone. Also the website mentions the possible need for a day 1 patch to play battle stadium/online.
The lack of "Download rules" option makes me hopeful that we are once again able to customize rulesets in battles with friends which would also let us get rid of the 20 minute timer.

I have a note about the trailer:
Screenshot_20220821-181433_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-181815_YouTube.jpg

Isn't that boost from Celtitan giving us hints of some game mechanic change? The trailer doesn't show Azumarill's attack boost from belly drum, but it shows celtitan attack deing drastically risen (not maxed out as previous generations). Wich give us three options:

1) mirror herb have some boost limitations or
2) belly drum was nerfed hard, just three stage boost at cost of half HP or
3) gamefreak is going backwards and messing stats description again

I have a note about the trailer:View attachment 448612View attachment 448613

Isn't that boost from Celtitan giving us hints of some game mechanic change? The trailer doesn't show Azumarill's attack boost from belly drum, but it shows celtitan attack deing drastically risen (not maxed out as previous generations). Wich give us three options:

1) mirror herb have some boost limitations or
2) belly drum was nerfed hard, just three stage boost at cost of half HP or
3) gamefreak is going backwards and messing stats description again
1661117578388.png
1661117581600.png

The website shows Belly Drum still has the same message. I think it's just that the "maximized its Attack" message is a direct result of using Belly Drum and the Mirror Herb is just giving it the +6 boost which gets described as drastically for any boost above +2 like with Steam Engine.

Now that I think about it, the best Special Flying STAB is Air Slash or Hurricane and Bug is resisted by a ton of stuff... I haven't slept well lately so I thought, "Why use Surf when you have Tera Blast? It's probably going to have a good Power. You get Water attacks either way." (80 Power is my pessimistic guess and 100 is my optimistic guess.) Then I remembered Tera Blast is Normal if you haven't Terastallized... You can get STAB on Water, but with Tera Blast opening up so many possibilities, why not go with an even more unexpected type? How about Tera Ground for taking on Electric and Steel too? It's much more of a commitment because you don't have Ground attacks until you Terastallize, but I'd probably fall for it expecting Water.
Imo at 90 base power is where it starts showing up on non-Terastal sets by any Pokemon missing Return. At 100 base power it arguably becomes the best normal-type attack since anything above 90 base power in that type has a drawback.

80 would be a sweet spot of sorts i guess but 60 - 70 seems more likely somehow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)