Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

The website shows Belly Drum still has the same message. I think it's just that the "maximized its Attack" message is a direct result of using Belly Drum and the Mirror Herb is just giving it the +6 boost which gets described as drastically for any boost above +2 like with Steam Engine.

So it's number three indeed :facepalm:

Also, is it already possible to do some math and estimate the power of terastralizing? We have seen tera brelloom using bullet seed against blissey and doing a 4-hit KO

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I don’t really see how tera is balanced for singles in any reasonable way unless you’re comfortable with defensive play essentially disappearing. Stacking offensive types will be absolutely obnoxious when any given mon can suddenly burst down the shared check with boosted coverage

Imo at 90 base power is where it starts showing up on non-Terastal sets by any Pokemon missing Return. At 100 base power it arguably becomes the best normal-type attack since anything above 90 base power in that type has a drawback.

80 would be a sweet spot of sorts i guess but 60 - 70 seems more likely somehow
I presume it will be a lower power when not terastalized, like weather ball & terrain pulse

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Pre-Contributor
I don’t really see how tera is balanced for singles in any reasonable way unless you’re comfortable with defensive play essentially disappearing. Stacking offensive types will be absolutely obnoxious when any given mon can suddenly burst down the shared check with boosted coverage
You can only use it once per battle, and can pretty easily get cockblocked, especially by your monotype.

Looking up all pokemon with levitate.... becoming Electric type with no weakness (basically become eelektross) who would be good with this combo? Hell even Steel Type or Poison type would be good with the ability

HYDEIGON Dark/dragon --> Poison. Went from x4 weak to fairy and now resist it and fighting and immune to ground

Giratina in uber's x.x

Flygon?
Cresslia?
Bronzong?

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
You’re overstating Electric’s defensive utility. Having no weaknesses is great but resistances imo contribute more to a mon’s defensive prowess and Electric is not great on that front. Especially because you’re now monotype, you’ll be forced out anyway against a group of mons that wall you probably similar in size to the number of mons that were forcing you out with super effective moves before. Like if something loses a Fighting resistance to become an Electric type, it’s now “weak” to a STAB CC (equivalent in power to super effective 90bp coverage).

Now this may not hold true for something so tanky you have to rely on SE moves to break it, so we’ll see just how demonic Electric Cresselia is.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
I wonder if Tera Eleki would be decent. It now has actual coverage with Tera Burst and potentially BoltBeam… but you lose your nuclear Electric moves and are forced to Terastallize to use your coverage, and you have to be an Ice type to get BoltBeam. Really a fascinating tradeoff.

Or go Tera Electric and melt things until Lando switches in. That works too.

I wonder if Tera Eleki would be decent. It now has actual coverage with Tera Burst and potentially BoltBeam… but you lose your nuclear Electric moves and are forced to Terastallize to use your coverage, and you have to be an Ice type to get BoltBeam. Really a fascinating tradeoff.

Huh, not just BoltBeam, but STAB BoltBeam, since Transistor is still boosting the power of Electric moves by 50%.

That's scary. It also has the option to use Water or Grass, trading some offensive potency for more defensive utility, though with how frail Eleki is it's probably not worth it. At least you're not weak to Stealth Rock.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Being the fastest Pokemon around, it probably can use a variety of Tera types to check different revenge killers or sweepers your team normally struggles to. Like if Zeraora ends up dominant it can go Tera Ground to stop it at the cost of keeping its laughably bad matchup into Lando/Gliscor. Or Tera Fairy or Fire to counter Weavile, Ghost to evade Dragonite’s ESpeed… but let’s be real it’s not in SV in the first place.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
You’re overstating Electric’s defensive utility. Having no weaknesses is great but resistances imo contribute more to a mon’s defensive prowess and Electric is not great on that front. Especially because you’re now monotype, you’ll be forced out anyway against a group of mons that wall you probably similar in size to the number of mons that were forcing you out with super effective moves before. Like if something loses a Fighting resistance to become an Electric type, it’s now “weak” to a STAB CC (equivalent in power to super effective 90bp coverage).

Now this may not hold true for something so tanky you have to rely on SE moves to break it, so we’ll see just how demonic Electric Cresselia is.
On one hand, have you ever used Stockpile Rest Recycle Leppa Berry Snorlax? That thing doesn't need resistances. It doesn't even need moves that can affect the opponent. Stalling to Struggle FTW!
On the other hand, Cosmic Power Clefable was able to get me a lot more wins in Restricted Sparring. Fighting resists are amazing.

The second most tempting type with Levitate if you're looking at weaknesses is Poison and it's almost all gains for Cresselia. Psychic's resistances are Psychic and Fighting. Fighting is still resisted, but Psychic turns into a weakness. That's okay though because you lose all your previous weaknesses of Dark, Ghost, and Bug, the last of which becomes a resist. She'd also gain resistances to Grass, Poison, and Fairy. Improved matchups against 6 types at the cost of a weakness to Psychic already sounds more than good enough, but to make it even better, Poison also gives an immunity to Toxic and doesn't let her own Toxic miss.

...or you could go with the other type that's immune to poison, Steel, because Steel is Steel! 'nuf said. :P

Its going to be way better than before that's for sure. Especially since you don't have to go tera right away so you can play mind games with your opponent in the beginning of the game. They will definitely be in the losing side of the mind games since it's going to be hard to predict when you will go tera. So it's going to be hard for them to save their lando or whatever since they have to get it right everytime they switch in.

Only thing I fear is what abilities are getting scrapped. Rumor (off centro) is some abilities got snapped, some got nerfed (zacian oddly was mentioned to only trigger once per game now even though it isn't in the game until DLC/home according to leaker lol..), but I def see some abilities being replaced with items that can be ran on anyone.

Loaded Dice immediately makes me think skill link was nerfed/replaced, in other words no more king's rock cheese for cloyster/cincinno (or mega hera for that matter but we've accepted that last gen), so it was basically a boost to every non-skill link user and a nerf to the current ones.

Cloak being shield dust looks like shield dust might be gone, but tbf no one ran that, the ones that had it used better options more frequently, ig baton pass veno could've been a thing but for the most part it was a tinted lens sweeper.

...Imagine we get a wonder guard item.

CTNC

Only thing I fear is what abilities are getting scrapped. Rumor (off centro) is some abilities got snapped, some got nerfed (zacian oddly was mentioned to only trigger once per game now even though it isn't in the game until DLC/home according to leaker lol..), but I def see some abilities being replaced with items that can be ran on anyone.
More snapping... yay... :(

Poison Heal was practically Snapped from SwSh because no one that had it was in SwSh. Hopefuly the snaping is because of stuff like that. I want to say I hope they get rid of useless or near useless abilities like Illuminate and Magma Armor, but there would be Abilities people care about too if it's more than just the Abilities of Snapped Pokemon.

Loaded Dice immediately makes me think skill link was nerfed/replaced, in other words no more king's rock cheese for cloyster/cincinno (or mega hera for that matter but we've accepted that last gen), so it was basically a boost to every non-skill link user and a nerf to the current ones.

Cloak being shield dust looks like shield dust might be gone, but tbf no one ran that, the ones that had it used better options more frequently, ig baton pass veno could've been a thing but for the most part it was a tinted lens sweeper.

No. Just no.

There's no way they'd do that unless they nerfed Shedinja and they better not nerf Shedinja!

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

I mean its not the first time they do this. Gen 7 nerfed Gale Wings and Parental Bond. Gen 8 nerfed Disguise. In my opinion its a good thing for them to adress stuff that's problematic for their official formats.

Which brings me to my next point - while we can't know for sure what they'd nerf, we can do educated guesses based off of BSS and VGC. Case in point, Skill Link isn't an issue in VGC as far as I know so I doubt they're nerfing it.

I was already not enthused with the increase of abilities as items since it appeared to lack creativity, but now I'm outright concerned.

I know I shouldn't care, it's not like I'm going to find a position worth playing in, but it still hurts.

You can only use it once per battle, and can pretty easily get cockblocked, especially by your monotype.
It lasts til the end of battle though so once per battle isn't that big a drawback for offensive users of it.

As far as supposedly scrapped abilities, it's probably not actually removing abilities entirely and there just isn't any user of that ability in the game (see poison heal for an example). In fact, i don't think any ability has actually been scrapped historically have they? I could be wrong but prior to gen8 dexit it hasn't.

Last edited:
I should probably drop where i heard that info lol

I mean its not the first time they do this. Gen 7 nerfed Gale Wings and Parental Bond. Gen 8 nerfed Disguise. In my opinion its a good thing for them to adress stuff that's problematic for their official formats.

Which brings me to my next point - while we can't know for sure what they'd nerf, we can do educated guesses based off of BSS and VGC. Case in point, Skill Link isn't an issue in VGC as far as I know so I doubt they're nerfing it.
I don't think aegislash particularly was an issue either (gen 7 at least) but got a nerf to gen 8. VGC might be a target point for them, but if we're talking about them removing abilities rarely used or overlapped by items its probably less predictable than VGC. Skill link I would think would be booted not because of VGC but because an item basically replaces it, there aren't many non-skill link users I can think of that get better with multihit moves over raw damage like life orb, the skill linkers primarily had movepools centralized around that multi-hit gimmick (rock blast, bullet seed, tail slap, etc). Protean we see as a target which makes sense given tera exist now and that would overlap with it. I wonder if libero is included there.

IIRC cloyster was a menace in battle spot 3v3s at one point for awhile too because you just get a shell smash, and skill link everything with king's rock and dynamax in a pinch. Still could be a suspect for nerfs if they include 3v3s.

EDIT: I'm not reading 'removed' anywhere after a double take thankfully so maybe they're still in just nerfed.

No. Just no.

There's no way they'd do that unless they nerfed Shedinja and they better not nerf Shedinja!
Bold of you to assume we'll be seeing shedinja anytime soon with the all the problems nincada caused in home. I wouldn't be surprised if its completely forgotten like unown and hidden power until there comes up a reason to force it back in (like nat dex unova remakes).

Last edited:

CTNC

Bold of you to assume we'll be seeing shedinja anytime soon with the all the problems nincada caused in home. I wouldn't be surprised if its completely forgotten like unown and hidden power until there comes up a reason to force it back in (like nat dex unova remakes).
I'm not expecting Nincada's line to be back until at least Gen 12, especialy with Terastal being SV's gimmick, but I'm just saying they better not nerf Shedinja when it's back

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
That's not the point, say you run 2-3 offensive fliers (classic birdspam) and you can essentially sack one of your fliers as a tera move to take out their corviknight or whatever. Once that's gone your other fliers have free reign, same general concept as DragMag except way, way less telegraphed. Defensive play will become borderline impossible when any given mon can have a gem-boosted attack of the type they need.

Which brings me to my next point - while we can't know for sure what they'd nerf, we can do educated guesses based off of BSS and VGC
Assuming Zacian is in the games (ofc it'll be, pretty much guaranteed that we'll get all restricteds eventually), it's all but obvious he'll get some kind of nerf. The ability triggering "once per game" isnt as big as a nerf to be fair, even without the free +1 it's still a monstrous bulky behemot with Sword Dance.

What however I wouldn't be surprised happening is... more Intimidate nerfs.
This gen we already had a bunch of indirect nerfs to it: several abilities make you immune to it (notably, Inner Focus, which was already a very strong VGC ability due to fake out immunity), several of the new nonrestricted legendaries either ignore it (Urshifu) or get buffed from it (Zapdos / Articuno, tecnically also Enamorous). And it wasnt enough, cause if you saw Worlds, Incineroar still turretted at over 90% usage.

And... for the love of arceus I hope if they want to do more movexit they set on fire Ally Switch. Noone likes it. Not even me. Only reason we didn't see Ally Switch shenenigans in VGC is cause Calyrex, Groudon and Kyogre (at least 1 of them was in almost every team) all have Spread moves that don't care, otherwise it'd be 50/50s all over the place like it was in pre-restricted era.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)