Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Auto-heal after battle was NEVER on the table... then there would really be no point to not just playing showdown. lol

I think an online nursery + physical nursery is nice and akin to Bill's PC and meeting Bill in-game. The point of having the physical nursery so early (and introducing the user to the online one) is just to give users the chance to start working on IV's early.

Thanks for clarifying.

The Nursery traditionally also gives the trainer a Pokemon Egg right? Do you want to do that here as well?

My idea was to give the trainer an Extremespeed Dratini egg. It takes a lot of effort to get Dratini to a Dragonite so it's useful to get a head start. Also, Dratini isn't overpowering, even as a Dragonair so it wouldn't imbalance the game. I might be jumping the gun here a little though.

As to what Cho said, it was stated earlier in the thread and quickly shot down, and best way to replicate an in game experience is with said IV checkers, and thus having one early is not the worst thing in the world.

Building Proposal
House of the First Town tour Guide
"Ah, want to know where everything is? Well follow me!" *marches off to happy beat*
Shows you around, and once done, he gifts you a potion for putting up with him. You can come back and talk to him anytime ya want, but with no other gifts will be received.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As to what Cho said, it was stated earlier in the thread and quickly shot down, and best way to replicate an in game experience is with said IV checkers, and thus having one early is not the worst thing in the world.

Building Proposal
House of the First Town tour Guide
"Ah, want to know where everything is? Well follow me!" *marches off to happy beat*
Shows you around, and once done, he gifts you a potion for putting up with him. You can come back and talk to him anytime ya want, but with no other gifts will be received.
Can you go into specifics of what he'll be showing you? Will he guide you to the nursery for instance? or the IV checker? Or will we have those characters introduce themselves separately?

Can you go into specifics of what he'll be showing you? Will he guide you to the nursery for instance? or the IV checker? Or will we have those characters introduce themselves separately?
Sure, but as we hadn't had a baseline of the town, didn't know exactly what to say he would show ya. If I could think, it start with:

"Hello there! Let me show you around bud!"
*walks to the pokemon center*
"This will be your greatest ally on your journey. While you may be able to heal your friends on the road with the potions you have purchased, it be hard pressed to give up free healing! They are found in almost every town if not all of them I believe, and you'd be hard pressed to ignore their services!"
*shows off a PokeMart*
"This is where you'll buy all your items for your journey! While more will be accessible later, you can eventually hold a mass supply of repels, full restores, and revives to use at your command."
*shows route 2*
"This is the next route you will be accessing! There is a forest in here that you will find all kinds of Pokémon you may not have been able to access normally, be them under a grass or in the trees above!"
*shows off his house*
"And this is my house!"

As I said, slightly small stuff since I don't know all the additions yet, but that be a rough copy. I would like to think he introduces the nursery, but iv checkers I think would want to introduce themselves, as they sorta got to make sure you remember them for them instead of being told they are there.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Don't spread WRONG information... Pokemon will NOT heal automatically after battle...

in-fact, it was explicitly stated earlier in the threat that Poke Centers and healing items will all have their place in healing over long trecks.
Sorry about that, for some reason I thought I thought I saw you saying that pokes where auto healed, probably misread what you said. But yeah that makes me think it might be a good idea to merge the Pokemon Center, the Pokemart, and the Day care all together

Town 2 NPC: Shady Salesman
Script: "Hello, there! Have I got a deal just for you! Do you know the Pokemon Eevee? They say you can catch it on Route 1. They say the that it evolves from using special stones. I'll let you have a swell stone for just 500! What do you say?"

Player Chooses Yes or No.
No: No? I'm only doing this as a favor to you!
Yes: (Gives the player an Everstone)

If talked to again: "Well, I don't give refunds! It's not like I sold you a Magikarp or anything like that!"

Sorry for Double Post

Thanks for clarifying.

The Nursery traditionally also gives the trainer a Pokemon Egg right? Do you want to do that here as well?

My idea was to give the trainer an Extremespeed Dratini egg. It takes a lot of effort to get Dratini to a Dragonite so it's useful to get a head start. Also, Dratini isn't overpowering, even as a Dragonair so it wouldn't imbalance the game. I might be jumping the gun here a little though.
The thing is, I feel like you should be getting some type of "baby" pokemon such as Togepi, Cleffa, or Happiny. You could keep Cleffable and Chansey in check and not overpowered in the game through placement of the moon stone and eviolite respectively.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that this is not a proposal, it's just discussion.

NPC Proposal
Two Team Luck-sack grunts who whisper to each other.
(No matter which one you talk to they both say the same thing)

"Man did you hear? Smogon just banned Baton Pass!"
"What?! That's so unfair. They clearly don't know how balanced it is."
"Yeah I agree. Let's show the- HEY! What are you looking at?"

While there might not be auto-healing after battle, I would suggest that each trainer gives out a healing item (Potion, Elixer or Revive) after being defeated. This way, team archetypes that lean towards HO, relying on low PP, high damage moves and sacrificing team members to gain momentum aren't punished compared to stall archetypes where the expectation is that all your Pokemon should survive the battle if you've played well. The particular item should depend on the difficulty level of that trainer, so that if you've played poorly or your team was unprepared, it won't be enough to offset the damage dealt during the battle, but if you've executed properly and your team was well built you come out mostly unscathed.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Sorry for Double Post

The thing is, I feel like you should be getting some type of "baby" pokemon such as Togepi, Cleffa, or Happiny. You could keep Cleffable and Chansey in check and not overpowered in the game through placement of the moon stone and eviolite respectively.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that this is not a proposal, it's just discussion.
Happiny/Cleffa is not going to be powering through the game regardless... while Stall Teams will probably useful near the end of the game, stall Pokemon lacking power like Blissey/Skarmory are always going to be pretty inefficient on long routes against weak trainers/wild Pokemon... Clefairy/Clefable might be a bit better (if they get good TM access), but nothing to write home about when trying to blast through armies of wild venopedes.

Ehm, just wondering, is the nursery the same as the daycare?
In that case I need to revamp the starting town lol, since there's a daycare-thing there.

Anyway, Chou Toshio , when will be the first encounter with the evil team? It could be in this town a la Team Plasma in BW, but it can be later in the game as well.

IV Checker wil definitely be helpful, but it's not a good idea to put it only in this town (imagine all the backtracking without Fly .-.). It could be a service in the pokemon center, like some sort of computer or guy that is present in every center.

Also I'd like to say that, in my opinion, the normal trainers (like Youngster Joey or something) won't have a full team of top percentage Pokemon (ha). Three pokemon is a core, not a full functioning team, and therefore the battles aren't as difficult. Ofcourse when you enter the Victory Road or those kind of routes later in the game, the trainers there will have teams of 4-6 Pokemon and will be more difficult to handle, but as for now I think simply rewarding the Trainer with money like the normal games do should be the best option, since there are Centers in like every town.

Also by typing this, I came to think about something: Double Battles
In DPPt, you have certain areas where you team up with another trainer and engage in Double Battles, as well as just fighting twins and the like in double battles. BW also introduced the Dark Tall Grass (you get what I mean I hope) where you have Double Battles vs wild pokemon. The thing is, Doubles strategies are different from Single strategies, so should these double battles be present in the game pre-E4?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Ehm, just wondering, is the nursery the same as the daycare?
In that case I need to revamp the starting town lol, since there's a daycare-thing there.
Yeah same thing-- thanks!

Anyway, Chou Toshio , when will be the first encounter with the evil team? It could be in this town a la Team Plasma in BW, but it can be later in the game as well.
Leaving the story-line writing up to our participants :)

IV Checker wil definitely be helpful, but it's not a good idea to put it only in this town (imagine all the backtracking without Fly .-.). It could be a service in the pokemon center, like some sort of computer or guy that is present in every center.
If you read my post (carefully please) you'll see that is exactly what I proposed: it says that you just MEET him here, but that the IV checker will be accessible by PC. Alternatively, there could be an IV checker NPC in every pokemon center. The point is to make it accessible (just like the daycare center)-- they're just introducing themselves in this town.
Also I'd like to say that, in my opinion, the normal trainers (like Youngster Joey or something) won't have a full team of top percentage Pokemon (ha). Three pokemon is a core, not a full functioning team, and therefore the battles aren't as difficult. Ofcourse when you enter the Victory Road or those kind of routes later in the game, the trainers there will have teams of 4-6 Pokemon and will be more difficult to handle, but as for now I think simply rewarding the Trainer with money like the normal games do should be the best option, since there are Centers in like every town.
Yeah, only characters that should have full 6 rosters are gym leaders, evil admins, rivals, and joke characters like 6 magikarp dude (or whatever).

Also by typing this, I came to think about something: Double Battles
In DPPt, you have certain areas where you team up with another trainer and engage in Double Battles, as well as just fighting twins and the like in double battles. BW also introduced the Dark Tall Grass (you get what I mean I hope) where you have Double Battles vs wild pokemon. The thing is, Doubles strategies are different from Single strategies, so should these double battles be present in the game pre-E4?
NO doubles battles (this is an area for OU singles...) or doubles events.

Could be a doubles after-e4-island like the lower tiers.

NPC Proposal
Two Team Luck-sack grunts who whisper to each other.
(No matter which one you talk to they both say the same thing)

"Man did you hear? Smogon just banned Baton Pass!"
"What?! That's so unfair. They clearly don't know how balanced it is."
"Yeah I agree. Let's show the- HEY! What are you looking at?"

This may sound just a little odd, but what would you put there team uniform as and where would you imagine them stationed? This is also directed towards others as well with just the post quoted as reference and jumping point as well (and for hacker to respond s well).

Instead of making an IV checker NPC we could place an IV checker machine in each pokecenter. The IV checker machine could be accompanied by an NPC at the very first pokecenter who explains what IVs are and how the machine works.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
NPC Proposal
Potion Guy

Dialogue: Say uh, could you show me to the direction to route 1?
*Yes or No pops up*

Yes: Thank you, take this as my graitude
*Hands over Potion*
This is a Potion, you can use this to heal your Pokemon up after a long battle, by healing them by a nice 20 HP. However, the law of the SmogSmog reigon forbids the use of potions and similar items in battles, so you should not try to rely on them completely.

No: Liar! You live in Golurkmoar Town! That is connected to *Insert name of second town* through Route 1

If Talked to again (After replying Yes): You want another Potion? Sorry but I'm all out, you can buy them at the Pokemart if you can afford them however.

Side Note: Yeah I was going to suggest this for route 1, but back then I was still under the impression that pokes where auto healed after battle (Which is obviously not true)

If the Elite Four will be archetypes, switch things up by giving the Gym Leaders monotypes. But Monotype isn't the most competitively relevant tier so maybe each one has three types that compliment each other core-wise? For instance one Gym Leader would have Fire/Water/Grass (two Fire, two Water, two Grass), another could have Ghost/Normal/Fighting or something queer like that. As long as it feels intrinsic without trying too hard to be different at the same time.
Or alternatively, they have a type "specialty," where they have three Pokemon of one type and three other Pokemon that cover the weaknesses of the main type.

For example, for a Ground-type leader: Krookodile, Seismitoad, Hippowodon, Infernape, Manectric, Mega Aggron

How about gyms have 2 types? That way the gyms aren't boxed in as far as strategy and common weaknesses go. For example, you could have a Fire/Grass gym which is a sun team. A Water/Electric is similar for rain dance. Ice is pretty set on its own, but can always use support (Boltbeam?), and Rock and Ground not only both work with Sandstorm, but also have great coverage. Stuff like that (of course, stuff other than weather works too).

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
How about gyms have 2 types? That way the gyms aren't boxed in as far as strategy and common weaknesses go. For example, you could have a Fire/Grass gym which is a sun team. A Water/Electric is similar for rain dance. Ice is pretty set on its own, but can always use support (Boltbeam?), and Rock and Ground not only both work with Sandstorm, but also have great coverage. Stuff like that (of course, stuff other than weather works too).
I'm not so sure, having 1 gym type fits well with flavour plus we can already give the gym leaders pokemon who don't belong to their type (I looked at the posts again this time), plus it will just put extra stress on determining the TM the Gym gives you. I think we should just have them be based of a specific type and give them a couple coverage pokes, like how it already is.

I'm not so sure, having 1 gym type fits well with flavour plus we can already give the gym leaders pokemon who don't belong to their type (I looked at the posts again this time), plus it will just put extra stress on determining the TM the Gym gives you. I think we should just have them be based of a specific type and give them a couple coverage pokes, like how it already is.
I've mentioned it before but it's worth mentioning again. How about instead of doing monotype we have each gym focus on a move and they give out that move in a TM form? For example, one gym could be entirely about using Swords Dance. Another gym could be just U-Turning. Maybe one for Scald.

Something of that nature wouldn't be too hard to make a decent team for. All you need is 6 guys that can learn the move that can offer some synergy with one another.

I'm still under the impression that monotype works well and fine by itself (with if need be only one extra wild card) but the idea of forming em with like types is useful too if not redundant (ie mainly for ground and rock as that is just a little ridiculous).

This may sound just a little odd, but what would you put there team uniform as and where would you imagine them stationed? This is also directed towards others as well with just the post quoted as reference and jumping point as well (and for hacker to respond s well).
They could be stationed in front of a ledge or cliff (kind of like Team Aqua Grunts in Lilicove City in Emerald). I'm not too sure about the outfit, but maybe they could have shorts and t-shirts on with bandanas on top. So they're like normal people (as most of the anti-smogoners are) but the bandannas tell the player that they're evil.

They could be stationed in front of a ledge or cliff (kind of like Team Aqua Grunts in Lilicove City in Emerald). I'm not too sure about the outfit, but maybe they could have shorts and t-shirts on with bandanas on top. So they're like normal people (as most of the anti-smogoners are) but the bandannas tell the player that they're evil.
Of course, because in this world, there is no more unspeakable of a horror than a bandana. Tie-dyed bandanas, doubly so.

Also, I vote for the grunts to have some uncomfortably tight full-body spandex suits. If the transition from Team Rocket to Team Flare is any indicator, then this outfit needs to be just as ridiculous as the last, if not more.

Oh, and bandanas. Don't forget the bandanas.

Of course, because in this world, there is no more unspeakable of a horror than a bandana. Tie-dyed bandanas, doubly so.

Also, I vote for the grunts to have some uncomfortably tight full-body spandex suits. If the transition from Team Rocket to Team Flare is any indicator, then this outfit needs to be just as ridiculous as the last, if not more.

Oh, and bandanas. Don't forget the bandanas.
Oh! If they are going to be Team LUCK Sack, they should be covered in lucky objects like rabbit's feet, four leaf clovers, and horse shoes. And maybe wear a sack as a cape

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Oh! If they are going to be Team LUCK Sack, they should be covered in lucky objects like rabbit's feet, four leaf clovers, and horse shoes. And maybe wear a sack as a cape
Well the way you said it makes them sound like Leprechauns (Which is still fitting, but it will require us to give them an Irish Accent) but I like the idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)