Pokemon Sun and Moon Demo Datamine + Full Game Leaks Collection (Read the OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The Leak: Now I'm going to give GF credit for trying. On the surface they scrubbed anything not relating to the demo which is good to see. Of course, they didn't learn their lesson from bathroom cleaning commercials: you also got to scrub below the surface. I don't know where these images came from, they had to be hidden somewhere that they weren't easily accessed/would be called upon often, but still GF did mess up by not checking all the image files. And if they did assign someone to do that, well the joke "someone is getting fired" probably isn't going to be a joke for them. Still, I just hope this doesn't make them not want to do demos anymore. They tried and being this is their second time doing this mistakes I think are still acceptable (as long as they learn from it).
Demo Stats: So looks like the only Pokemon's stats we know for certain is Ash-Greninja. I do like how they changed around the stat of the Pokemon in the demo, shows they are really trying to keep things a secret (unfortunately it didn't pan out as they hoped). As for Ash-Greninja, it getting a 110+ BST boost and a buff to Water Shuriken (which has been made into a Special attack) does make it a bit more than a glorified Mega Evolution. Still, even if you gave it a Life Orb I think people would still want Protean Greninja for it has more tricks and probably a better chance of surviving. Shame about the nature though I guess they didn't want to sacrifice a stat/let it naturally show its power increase.

New Moves: I agree that these moves certainly seem like Signature Moves (or exist to provide a Signature Ability). Psychic Terrain, while probably not a Signature Move, probably exists so that the Psychic-type Guardian Deity's Signature Move can summon Psychic Terrain, similar to Tapu Koko's summoning Electric Terrain.
The other Moves do seem for the Starters Final Evo:
  • Laser Focus for Rowlet3, being its an archer. Super Focus Energy, this could be quite devastating depending on what moves Rowlet3 learns, maybe not for its STABs but for any coverage.
  • Throat Chop for Litten3, being a heel wrestler. The name sounds like a Dark-type move (and would be surprised if it didn't do any damage considering your crushing your opponent's throat). A 2-turn Soundproof, if Litten3 is Fire/Dark this would be helpful in stopping Pixilate/Aerilate Normal-type sound moves, also Heal Bell for supporters.
  • Aurora Veil for Popplio3, because... its a Water/Fairy-type (I'm sure it's description will justify it? This could make Popplio3 a good supporter, especially if it got good bulk. high defenses & HP, Aqua Ring and maybe another healing move, gimmicky sound moves like Heal Bell & Sing, and now Light Screen + Reflect in one. Might be better off in Doubles/Triples/Rotation.
While all neat Signature Moves, I am hoping at least Rowlet3 and Popplio3 getting a more offensive Signature Move (Rowlet3 involving shooting an arrow, Popplio3 involving its voice).
Alolan Pokemon: Going to talk about Alolan Dugtrio in the actual Demo thread since it was meant to be included. As for the other leaked Alolan Pokemon:
  • Alolan Diglett: Not sure why they showed us Alolan Dugtrio first. Wouldn't it make sense to show Alolan Diglett first due to the only thing different about it is a few strands of hair? It would make us curious about where GF was going with this. Showing us Dugtrio first but keeping Diglett a secret is kind of pointless, you showed us the punchline already. Heck, if you kept Diglett normal I don't think anyone would raise an eyebrow.
  • Alolan Persian: Okay, I'm guessing since its been lavished over it gained weight? I really have nothing to say, it looks like a fake. Though would be funny if the drastic appearance change made people abandon their now evolved Meowth since it no longer looks refined as it once did.
  • Alolan Geodude Family: More hair growing? Well you could say they may have come magnetic and that's metal shavings on their body just like with Probopass. It does look like at least they change their Ground-typing to either Steel- or Electric-type.
A problem with talking about an Alolan Pokemon is that you do sort of need the description to tell you why it changed the way it did. Otherwise your just looking at Gen I Pokemon with stuff change about it either subtle, major, or ridiculous.

Ash-Pikachu:
Cute though makes me wonder what part it plays. Also I kind of wanted my player to be wearing the hats, not Pikachu. But hey, we got original series Ash hat so can't complain.

I'll comment on the leaked new Pokemon later once I get more of my thoughts together.

"Ash Greninja huge drawback is you need to kill something first". That reminds me of "Idk man, Mega Evolution implies the Pokémon cannot hold an item... I don't think Mega Evolution surpases the raw power of a Choice [anything] or even LO". A Pokémon like regular Greninja, with one of the wider movepools in the entire meta, should have no problem getting a kill. It's not like the Pokémon sucks without Protean to an extent it can not deal with anything. And yes, a Pokémon with plus 400 Atk and Plus 400 SpA. (and faster than Greninja, whose speed tier is already godly) is a beast. The only thing I am concerned is its nature.
Supposing there is some way it can get any nature that is not Hardy, there's the matter that it becomes a marginally weaker Protean Greninja (on its non-STABs) on an even better Speed tier. The game could devolve into "Don't let their Greninja score a KO".

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I assume Battle Bond and Ash-Greninja will be coded into Showdown for Sun/Moon OU or Custom Game like we did with ORAS? Really wanna see how he deals with the meta.

Oh and Ash-Greninja is DEFINITELY gonna be Uber or maybe AG. Water Shuriken was already an epic priority move and it increases the move's power. So it makes everything about Greninja better. Who needs that bulk when you have stats that make it a Mega Beedrill who has a shot at living a single hit? It's still diverse, and grants Greninja just another toy. For those of you who say killing something is difficult without Protean, Greninja could just hold a Life Orb like always. It's not like Greninja is lost without Protean. Of course Protean x Life Orb is incredible, but who doesn't like having new stuff to play with? Also, Ash-Greninja's speed is crazy. That goes without saying, though. 153 base speed (or so the demo says)? Who doesn't want this? This grants Grenny new opportunities and allows him new ways to deal with counters.

Supposing there is some way it can get any nature that is not Hardy, there's the matter that it becomes a marginally weaker Protean Greninja (on its non-STABs) on an even better Speed tier. The game could devolve into "Don't let their Greninja score a KO".
I agree with this. This is literally an alternative to Protean Sweeper. Note the buff on Water Shuriken as well.

Oh and Ash-Greninja is DEFINITELY gonna be Uber or maybe AG.
Nah man, Ubers only.
Palkia resist 4x Water Shuriken and can fire back with Thunderbolt, and there are really bulky Special walls in the tier.
AG is for really messed up decisions from GF, like a 180 atk mon with any nature that can hold items.

We don't know yet if you can breed another nature Greninja and Hardy is the only Ash-Greninja available so its Speed and Satk are really not that amazing (for the tier he's in).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I know nothing about hacking , but I heard someone claim that it is still possible for the hackers to miss out Pokemon from 1 or 2 islands?

Is this statement possible?

My hope is alolan golem is what nosepass should've been, electric rock. Like people have said, almost looks like a railgun on golems back. Ground/rock is a terrible defensive typing anyway

I'm not 100% sure that all the Pokemon were leaked, since I think the Chinese Riddler once referred to the Mimikyu line, along with the Salandit line.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Gonna give my opinion on why Litten won't be fire/fighting: Type chart weaknesses.

If he was fire/fighting that would allow the Rowlet line to counter him on the type chart which has never happened before.

Yes starters can learn coverage moves to take each other out but their typings are always strictly counterable in the circular Grass>Water>Fire>Grass pattern.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Nah man, Ubers only.
Palkia resist 4x Water Shuriken and can fire back with Thunderbolt, and there are really bulky Special walls in the tier.
AG is for really messed up decisions from GF, like a 180 atk mon with any nature that can hold items.

We don't know yet if you can breed another nature Greninja and Hardy is the only Ash-Greninja available so its Speed and Satk are really not that amazing (for the tier he's in).
Very true. Defo an Ubers Threat if done properly.

I know nothing about hacking , but I heard someone claim that it is still possible for the hackers to miss out Pokemon from 1 or 2 islands?

Is this statement possible?
Sounds dumb to me. Don't think that's how it works.

Oh and Alolan Golem is definitely gonna be good.
IT HAS A FREAKING MOUSTACHE AND BEARD WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR.
CvECdOAWEAAClBT.JPG

Gonna give my opinion on why Litten won't be fire/fighting: Type chart weaknesses.

If he was fire/fighting that would allow the Rowlet line to counter him on the type chart which has never happened before.

Yes starters can learn coverage moves to take each other out but their typings are always strictly counterable in the circular Grass>Water>Fire>Grass pattern.
The Sinnoh final starter evolutions say hi.

Torterra could hit infernape with STAB EQ while infernape could hit empoleon with STAB fighting.

How can there only be stats for Ash-Greninja? What about Pikipek, Rockruff, or Yungoos? If you can catch them then the base stats should be there. Also, has anyone evolved Pikipek yet or are evolutions blocked automatically?

How can there only be stats for Ash-Greninja? What about Pikipek, Rockruff, or Yungoos? If you can catch them then the base stats should be there. Also, has anyone evolved Pikipek yet or are evolutions blocked automatically?
Those have been shown, check the Kaphotics Data Mine pt. 1 vid if you want to check them quickly, note that the defenses have probably been lowered to make the demo easier

So what about the Sinnoh starters? Torterra's Ground trumps Infernape and Infernape's Fighting trumps Empoleon's Steel.

You can catch one, but you can not train it, because you can only own it in a part where you don't get experience and you'd have to release it before leaving that section.

You can catch one, but you can not train it, because you can only own it in a part where you don't get experience and you'd have to release it before leaving that section.
No, I'm talking about when you're inside the gate. Is it possible to gain enough exp to level up? Assuming you can, can any of those Pokemon evolve? Pikipek is the early route bird so if it levels up, it should evolve.

Some of the moves I mentioned are mid-game stuff that sometimes categorically get outclassed by stuff available earlier. I understand that these moves aren't supposed to be used competitively, but they have absolutely no use in-game either.
As I said, their aren't meant to be used by the player but against them, it's part of the game's balance. The opposing pokemon use them so they don't run out of PPs, they use them to skip turns and give new players a better fighting chance, they are used to balance the potential danger that each zone in the game poses to the player. Obviously it's good design to have tools explicitly geared to these needs.

Tecnically you could give all moves some kind of niche out-of-battle/interactive/bonus ability, like making them uber awesome in contests or to make them fetch you certain items by destroying the background (they did this with Razor Wind, right?). But ultimately this leads to cluthered mechanics that don't do much (because you don't want to force people into using bad moves, these abilities must be tangential), and the game becomes an utter mess because of some misguided attempt to give stuff sense of player purpose. That path leads to bad game design.

With that said, since String Shot got improved you can reenact Godzilla vs the Mothra twins in your doubles battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)