Pokemon Sun and Moon Demo Datamine + Full Game Leaks Collection (Read the OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
For those who don't get the bubble spider Pokemon, I'll just link to this Wikipedia page about the Diving Bell Spider and Youtube video showing it making a bubble to eat a shrimp in. (Warning: You'll want to pause the video before it ends so it doesn't show you the recommended videos. I saw an unbelievably nasty looking spider bite in one of the thumbnails.)

No, I'm talking about when you're inside the gate. Is it possible to gain enough exp to level up? Assuming you can, can any of those Pokemon evolve? Pikipek is the early route bird so if it levels up, it should evolve.
They don´t evolve. I caught a Level 31 Pikipek with a Heal Ball and then fought enough wild Pokémon with my Pikipek and Greninja to get Pikipek to level 32. Nothing happened.

No, I'm talking about when you're inside the gate. Is it possible to gain enough exp to level up? Assuming you can, can any of those Pokemon evolve? Pikipek is the early route bird so if it levels up, it should evolve.
You can not own a Pikipek and gain experience at the same time. It is either the one or the other.

They don´t evolve. I caught a Level 31 Pikipek with a Heal Ball and then fought enough wild Pokémon with my Pikipek and Greninja to get Pikipek to level 32. Nothing happened.
How?

Thought this might be helpful, I made a pastebin of all available alolan dex pokemon by type: http://pastebin.com/jSCYf6jh

I haven't included pokemon with unconfirmed typings (Pokemon that aren't in the evolutionary families of those that have been revealed)

If you want to seek out a specific pokemon you can ctrl+F by type or name. I have also added selling points for using these pokemon competitively pre-transfer.

As I said, their aren't meant to be used by the player but against them, it's part of the game's balance. The opposing pokemon use them so they don't run out of PPs, they use them to skip turns and give new players a better fighting chance, they are used to balance the potential danger that each zone in the game poses to the player. Obviously it's good design to have tools explicitly geared to these needs.

Tecnically you could give all moves some kind of niche out-of-battle/interactive/bonus ability, like making them uber awesome in contests or to make them fetch you certain items by destroying the background (they did this with Razor Wind, right?). But ultimately this leads to cluthered mechanics that don't do much (because you don't want to force people into using bad moves, these abilities must be tangential), and the game becomes an utter mess because of some misguided attempt to give stuff sense of player purpose. That path leads to bad game design.

With that said, since String Shot got improved you can reenact Godzilla vs the Mothra twins in your doubles battles.
Not that this discussion has much to do with the demo datamining, but I will just have to respectfully disagree. There are many ways to balance the game to make it easier for new players (and they have been doing that, with the healing NPCs and the new Exp Share, among others) without wasting time coding in useless moves generations after generations. I also do not believe in making everything uber-awesome, as I am aware that some moves will need to be outclassed for game progression. Outclassed does not mean pointless, however. The point is that there are way too many pointless moves, and that in itself is bad game design.

We could be having this discussion 3 generations ago about Glare, which used to be a pointless move. Only like 4 Pokemon could get them, and it had terrible accuracy. All it had over Thunder Wave was the ability to hit the occasional Ground-type, and Thunder Wave had perfect accuracy with wide distribution. You could argue all over that Glare was a move not meant to be used, but I choose not to believe that such a rare move should be so unrewarding when the player finally obtains it in game. Why should I jump through hoops obtaining and training that Dunsparce to get a move I rarely see that is utter crap? Why should the game offer me the choice to learn Glare at all?

And guess what? Two generations later, Glare is unequivocally a better move than Thunder Wave. A well-deserved buff since not everyone and their mom learns it, unlike T-Wave.

Darn, Game Freak is clever.
Yeah, but not clever enough *looks at the reason this thread blew up within less than 24 hours*

To express my thoughts on the new pokémon, I like all the obscure invertebrates we are getting. The diving bell spider, the giant isopod, the crown of throne starfish and even a yeti crab. The moldy anchor pokémon might be one of my favourite new "pokémon based on objects". But I expected more from Salandit´s evo than something that looks like furry scaly bait.

I am disappointed by Alolan Persian (Heavy Breathing) and Alolan Dugtrio. As fabulous as the latter looks, I can´t imagine it getting any type distinction from its Kanto counterpart (inb4 Ground/Fairy). And why bother giving Diglett this barely different Alola form if Cubone (whose Alolan evolution looks much more different than its Kanto one) does not get an Alola form at all? Alolan Golem meanwhile looks like a fake mega evolution for Conkeldurr I saw on DeviantArt years ago: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Mega-Conkeldurr-392197154

I just got a horrible thought, Salandit's pokedex mentioned females specifically, and with how feminine the evolution looks, what if Salandit is another Combee.

I literally thought the second commentator who came in was Conan O'brien. His voice is exactly the same.

Edit: Ahh at the end of the video they confirm with info from a Pokemon rep that Pokeride in fact replaces HMs for getting around the world. Yesssss. HM moves still exist but not as HMs I think.

Not that this discussion has much to do with the demo datamining, but I will just have to respectfully disagree. There are many ways to balance the game to make it easier for new players (and they have been doing that, with the healing NPCs and the new Exp Share, among others) without wasting time coding in useless moves generations after generations. I also do not believe in making everything uber-awesome, as I am aware that some moves will need to be outclassed for game progression. Outclassed does not mean pointless, however. The point is that there are way too many pointless moves, and that in itself is bad game design.

We could be having this discussion 3 generations ago about Glare, which used to be a pointless move. Only like 4 Pokemon could get them, and it had terrible accuracy. All it had over Thunder Wave was the ability to hit the occasional Ground-type, and Thunder Wave had perfect accuracy with wide distribution. You could argue all over that Glare was a move not meant to be used, but I choose not to believe that such a rare move should be so unrewarding when the player finally obtains it in game. Why should I jump through hoops obtaining and training that Dunsparce to get a move I rarely see that is utter crap? Why should the game offer me the choice to learn Glare at all?

And guess what? Two generations later, Glare is unequivocally a better move than Thunder Wave. A well-deserved buff since not everyone and their mom learns it, unlike T-Wave.
So what do you want? They've slowly been buffing useless moves over time just like you want.

There will always be super niche moves like Synchronoise just like there are super niche cards in every card game. One day those moves/cards may spring into usefulness due to a new ability of item.

When I caught a Pokémon and battled the other wild pokémon in the area, it got experience points (Greninja didn´t, though). Grinding to a level-up is not easy, though, as you only have Greninja plus the pokémon you just caught and don´t have any healing items (I already used my only super potion during the Hakamo-o fight). Obviously if you want to head back to the Pokémon Center you have to release your caught Pokémon and start back from scratch.Which is why I recommend catching the first thing you encounter in a Heal Ball and then defeat any further wild pokémon with your freshly caught pokémon and Greninja. If you get lucky with the enemies´ attacks (e.g. wasting turns with status moves) you should get enough experience points to level up your caught pokémon (I think each wild pokémon gives around 375 experience points, I have no idea how many you need to defat for a level-up).

I've already noticed some hypothesizing, at least on Reddit, that the Crabrawler evolution may be Ice/Fighting. I'm not sure how that would go. Yes, the rock vulnerability gets neutralized, but not anything else. Awful lot of vulnerabilities, and I'm not expecting a speedster...

I've already noticed some hypothesizing, at least on Reddit, that the Crabrawler evolution may be Ice/Fighting. I'm not sure how that would go. Yes, the rock vulnerability gets neutralized, but not anything else. Awful lot of vulnerabilities, and I'm not expecting a speedster...
A speedster no, but perhaps a tank?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There will always be super niche moves like Synchronoise just like there are super niche cards in every card game. One day those moves/cards may spring into usefulness due to a new ability of item.
Speaking of stuff springing into usefulness due to new abilities or items, at a cursory glance this looks like it could be the weakest generation yet when it comes to upsetting the relative power levels of old Pokémon. We had evolutions buffing tons of previous Pokémon in gens II and IV, Abilities shook things up in generations III and V, and Mega Evolution was a boon to many weak Pokémon in Gen VI, but this time, it seems like the introduction of Z-moves is the only new toy in the drawer, and it appears to affect all Pokémon equally. Meaning Pokémon that were previously strong are the ones that can utilize Z-moves best, and previously weak Pokémon remain comparably weak.

I'm sure some Pokémon will receive new moves they always wanted, some might be granted new abilities, or trend shifts cause certain Pokémon's existing properties to become super-relevant for standard play, but unless there's something really big we've missed, the relative usefulness of most Pokémon will see very little change from Gen VI to Gen VII. Granted, for most Pokémon that didn't receive Megas, this was sort of the case in Gen VI too, but we got a whole lot of "Wait, that Pokémon is A tier in OU now?" moments.

I recall Wobbuffet shooting up to Ubers in Gen III because of Shadow Tag. Gen IV saw previous waste-of-your-time 'mons like Sneasel or Gligar become the most desirable captures in the game because of new evolutions (and/or the Physical/Special split). Gen V gave us a metagame centered around previous Jokémon Politoed and Ninetales, which had never been relevant before. And most recently, Gen VI was the generation where... this all happened. These moments when we have to reconsider our view of certain Pokémon have been among my favourite Pokémon moments in all generations this far, and I can't really see such a shake-up happening this generation. Will we fear Vespiquen, discuss banning Corsola, or count Lumineon among the top threats of OU? Will we all shout "Yes, finally!" when we find a Chimecho in-game? One of the things I've looked forward to in Sun&Moon is the prospect of hunting down a Pokémon I currently consider a waste of time, to be the new star of my team. It happened with Vulpix last gen, Kangaskhan and Mawile in this, and I've probably had other such experiences without remembering them right now. But will there be equivalent moments in Gen VII? From what I've seen so far, I'm not raising my hopes too high...

Speaking of stuff springing into usefulness due to new abilities or items, at a cursory glance this looks like it could be the weakest generation yet when it comes to upsetting the relative power levels of old Pokémon. We had evolutions buffing tons of previous Pokémon in gens II and IV, Abilities shook things up in generations III and V, and Mega Evolution was a boon to many weak Pokémon in Gen VI, but this time, it seems like the introduction of Z-moves is the only new toy in the drawer, and it appears to affect all Pokémon equally. Meaning Pokémon that were previously strong are the ones that can utilize Z-moves best, and previously weak Pokémon remain comparably weak.

I'm sure some Pokémon will receive new moves they always wanted, some might be granted new abilities, or trend shifts cause certain Pokémon's existing properties to become super-relevant for standard play, but unless there's something really big we've missed, the relative usefulness of most Pokémon will see very little change from Gen VI to Gen VII. Granted, for most Pokémon that didn't receive Megas, this was sort of the case in Gen VI too, but we got a whole lot of "Wait, that Pokémon is A tier in OU now?" moments.

I recall Wobbuffet shooting up to Ubers in Gen III because of Shadow Tag. Gen IV saw previous waste-of-your-time 'mons like Sneasel or Gligar become the most desirable captures in the game because of new evolutions (and/or the Physical/Special split). Gen V gave us a metagame centered around previous Jokémon Politoed and Ninetales, which had never been relevant before. And most recently, Gen VI was the generation where... this all happened. These moments when we have to reconsider our view of certain Pokémon have been among my favourite Pokémon moments in all generations this far, and I can't really see such a shake-up happening this generation. Will we fear Vespiquen, discuss banning Corsola, or count Lumineon among the top threats of OU? Will we all shout "Yes, finally!" when we find a Chimecho in-game? One of the things I've looked forward to in Sun&Moon is the prospect of hunting down a Pokémon I currently consider a waste of time, to be the new star of my team. It happened with Vulpix last gen, Kangaskhan and Mawile in this, and I've probably had other such experiences without remembering them right now. But will there be equivalent moments in Gen VII? From what I've seen so far, I'm not raising my hopes too high...
Signature Z-Moves might still give us some "from zero to hero" cases like Mawilite, Kangaskhanite, Charizardite and others did last generation.

Ok so looking at the complete list the only 2 pokemon I really dislike is Aloran Persian and the final fire starter (not because the design itself is bad but its a big step down from its first and middle form and does not blend well with them, similar to when dragonair becomes dragonite), everything else is looking good or has something to keep my interest. Really hope those UB are catchable, they are a major creative deviation from what you expect from Pokemon and I do love OP mons breaking metagames. There are 10 new Pokemon that I totally love and would make my in-game team easily on another game, so I'm going to be very harsh when the base stats and typing/abilities come out next month. It may not be quite the golden era of Pokemon designs like gen 2 was, but it's definitely up there.

I'm also pleased with all of the competitive choices made in gen 7 so far (except no Megas but that will probably be for the follow-up game). Z-moves look very powerful but not totally broke, definitely worthwhile in terms of coverage moves or just wall breaking. At least stall gets cool toys like Aurora Veil and Mimikyu to neutralise these super powerful moves. Also glad about the anti-priority crusade GF are on. I never liked how so many Pokemon rely on priority to by-pass a naturally faster opponent, your speed stat should have greater relevance in gen 7 now.

Finally I'm glad we did not get the entire game cracked open like with ORAS. Pokemon designs are what matter the most, stats can come later along with everything else. It's fun starting a new competitive generation on the 18th Nov when nobody knows which new Pokemon is going to be Nu trash, which one is going to seem trash but become very viable (e.g Talon) and which one is going to break the metagame. Having that swarm of OP mons in OU is one of the most entertaining times in a generation and its nice for it to start on the day the games come out.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Signature Z-Moves might still give us some "from zero to hero" cases like Mawilite, Kangaskhanite, Charizardite and others did last generation.
True enough, but they'd have to be something like Eevee's Extreme Evoboost to make a really bad Pokémon really good. A permanent boost, a crazy set of immunities or resistances, or a super-clerical move or something, because a regular, powerful move can be performed just as well by other Pokémon, and it would have to do something really special to warrant keeping the Pokémon around after the Z-crystal is consumed and you're left with a PU Pokémon with no hold item. I can't think of any Megas that saw widespread use because they could give you a single shot at a really powerful move and then turned useless. Of course, Explosion once played such a role in the metagame, but an Explosion-like move from a PU 'mon would have comparable power levels to a drawback-free Z move from a stronger Pokémon which could hold its ground afterwards.

Of course, this generation could still hold some surprises, but I'm not quite expecting a PU-to-OU migration on the scale of Gen VI, where we had stuff like Mawile, Lopunny, Kangaskhan, Beedrill, Charizard, Manectric, Altaria and Pinsir suddenly finding themselves at the forefront of OU and the subject of bannage discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)