Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
just reporting another bad av user (meets the requirements cause 65+ spdef, 4 atks, etc).
Probably shouldn't allow AV with Bounce

Actually, it probably shouldn't even have Bounce if the team already has a Z-Crystal (which this team has, because otherwise this Gyarados would've been guaranteed Flyinium-Z) idk

Arceus-Ghost @Ghostium Z

Shadow Force
Shadow Claw
Toxic
Defog

I really think having the two ghost moves is unnecessary.

Is there any purpose in keeping Dragon Pulse on Zard Y?

It offers very little coverage and takes a valuable move slot that could be used by Solar Beam/Focus Blast for wider coverage (Or possibly Air Slash depending how set creation works for Zard Y).

Not to mention it has a very average 85 BP so a neutral hit wouldn't deal much damage to begin with.

Is there any purpose in keeping Dragon Pulse on Zard Y?

It offers very little coverage and takes a valuable move slot that could be used by Solar Beam/Focus Blast for wider coverage (Or possibly Air Slash depending how set creation works for Zard Y).

Not to mention it has a very average 85 BP so a neutral hit wouldn't deal much damage to begin with.
Eh, reliable hit on Lati@s and Dragon/Flyings, shouldn't be underestimated.

Last edited:
Eh, reliable hit on Lati@s and Dragon/Flyings, shouldn't be underestimated.
Agreed. Even in the sun, fire blast comes down to the equivalent of a 123.75 BP move, air slash 112.5 and dragon pulse 170. Unless you get a 4x weakness to flying, or face a 4x fire resist, air slash will always come down considerably weaker to a neutral fire blast hit.
Assuming 3 offensive move + roost, with solarbeam and fire blast, you miss the following for perfect neutral coverage with the 3rd move being
- Air slash : Rotom-Heat, Mega Ampharos, Zekrom
- Dragon pulse : Mega Altaria
- Focus Blast : The list is too long and includes several good Pokémon in rand-bats (Zard Y, Ho-Oh, Mence, Lati@s, Rayquaza, Naga, dragonbat, etc.)

So yeah, dragon pulse is actually not that bad, especially considering Zekrom and Majestic Haircut can be quite good on their own. (sun boosted blast hits rotom harder than pulse).

What I think could be a nice add to Zard Y is tailwind, as it's also suggested in other options on the Smogon analysis, allowing it to outspeed and obliterate a good portion of the meta. I was thinking that flame charge could also be an option, to gain a speed boost on a weakened foe, but it doesn't have the advantage of supporting its allies like tailwind does. W-o-w could be decent, but I think with its sheer power, most Pokémon it would come in handy already take a good chunk from its attacking moves. The physical dragon types with dragon pulse, rock/ground/water types with solarbeam, etc.

Last edited:
Just bad luck in the set generation really, nothing that can be done about
Can't there be a check made so that if a Pokémon doesn't have sleep talk or chesto, it won't get rest? I don't think we need to touch the double-STAB moves since in some cases in can be useful (Scald/Pump on Primarina for instance, where you can use scald for a reliable hit and a chance to burn, but when torrent is activated, you may want to go for the nuke with hydro pump).

Reactions: gum
Can't there be a check made so that if a Pokémon doesn't have sleep talk or chesto, it won't get rest? I don't think we need to touch the double-STAB moves since in some cases in can be useful (Scald/Pump on Primarina for instance, where you can use scald for a reliable hit and a chance to burn, but when torrent is activated, you may want to go for the nuke with hydro pump).
There are a decent amount of walls that use Rest for recovery without Chesto or Sleep Talk, it’s still useful if you’re up against something that can’t break you with attacks and has to attempt to wear you down with status.

I do actually think the double STAB should be fixed, or rather Rock Slide and Stone Edge specifically shouldn’t overlap. They’re too similar for it to be worth having both - Rock Slide’s 90% acc is still a little too unreliable if the idea is to have a more consistent cleaner move when you don’t need Stone Edge’s power and don’t want to risk a miss.

There are a decent amount of walls that use Rest for recovery without Chesto or Sleep Talk, it’s still useful if you’re up against something that can’t break you with attacks and has to attempt to wear you down with status.

I do actually think the double STAB should be fixed, or rather Rock Slide and Stone Edge specifically shouldn’t overlap. They’re too similar for it to be worth having both - Rock Slide’s 90% acc is still a little too unreliable if the idea is to have a more consistent cleaner move when you don’t need Stone Edge’s power and don’t want to risk a miss.
Yeah, what you say makes sense. Although resting like that can be a little dangerous in randbats as opposed to regular tiers where you can see the opponent's team, but I do know I've pulled that a couple of times with Cotton Guard Furfrou after consuming chesto when I'm sure the opponent only has physical attackers left.
And seen like that, yeah, edge/slide isn't the same as pump/scald, or focus blast/aura sphere, or fire blast/flamethrower (although I don't remember seeing the later 2, like ever)

Reactions: gum

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Mega Mewtwo Y without Psychic STAB. (though I mean, Mewtwo is so strong that it still acted like a good mon even without it, but I'm guessing this is more of an unintentional effect with the set generation)

Got this Glorious set:

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
-Vacum Wave
-Grass Knot
-Nasty Plot
-Close Combat

The lack of a Fire attack hurts, and Close Combat on a nasty plot set just seems weird.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Something like np fire blast vacuum wave cc wouldn't be horrendous...wonder if infernape should just gain focus blast and lose grass knot to help deal with np sets lacking a powerful special stab. HP Ice is there anyway.

Something like np fire blast vacuum wave cc wouldn't be horrendous...wonder if infernape should just gain focus blast and lose grass knot to help deal with np sets lacking a powerful special stab. HP Ice is there anyway.
Yeah, Lucario and Infernape are two Pokémon that can have rather frustrating sets, due to having access to both SD and NP, as well as so many special and physical moves, even if sometimes it proves useful (nasty plot set with CC is always cool when facing a Chansey/Blissey). And I guess it's what causes those sets.

That said, I think grass knot on Infernape has its uses (Kyogre, Seismitoad, Swampert, Omastar, Kabutops, Gastrodon, Rhyperior, Jellicent, Cancerfish, etc.), but I do agree it should gain access to Focus Blast, while also keeping vacuum wave (just like it can already get mach punch and close combat ). It would allow Infernape to potentially have two devastating - albeit sometimes innaccurate - STABs with nasty plot, just like it can have two devastating STABs with SD in blitz and CC.

Also, why is Zoroark lvl 73 now? Has it been programmed so that it takes the level of the Pokémon it "hides" as to prevent spotting Zoroark just by looking at its level? (just had a level 73 Zoroark that initially hid as a Reshiram) If so, I feel like that's pretty recent.

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, why is Zoroark lvl 73 now? Has it been programmed so that it takes the level of the Pokémon it "hides" as to prevent spotting Zoroark just by looking at its level? (just had a level 73 Zoroark that initially hid as a Reshiram) If so, I feel like that's pretty recent.
It has (and this also prevents the extra mon visual glitches), and it is.

necessary.PNG
very necessary.PNG

Predominantly just my bad luck that I got both of these on the same team, but more broadly having pursuit + sucker punch + dark stab seems a little much--for Spiritomb I wonder if Infiltrate Toxic would be a decent niche to break defensive 'mon. Its moveset is already kind of full but i can't say I've ever found its restalk set to be particularly useful.

tob

Banned deucer.
1540754403745.png

Double Z-Move here (if I had to guess, it would be to do with how Arceus-Bug is generated)

Double Z-Move here (if I had to guess, it would be to do with how Arceus-Bug is generated)
It absolutely is based on how all typed Arceus are generated (use a plate if it has judgment, Z crystal otherwise, because judgment doesn't work with the crystal) so maybe it's time to add a new parameter to that check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)