SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

Even without that, 140 Attack and 95 speed is fine on its own. So this new Zen Mode form is just a reverse Archeops. You bring me down to 50% and suddenly I am a 160 Attack and 135 speed demon snowman ready to destroy your team.
Exactly. Also, the ability, which basically gives Darmanitan a natural Choice Band, puts your opponent in a dangerous situation, because s/he has to predict what ability you're using - both of them are destructive on their own. <3
... Welp, like regular Darmanitan, it'll also die as fast as it will slaughter everything :"D (Better get the prio users away)

The threat of the opponent switching into Marshadow (which, recall, is immune to the one move you're trying to make good with this strategy) and Spectral Thiefing all your stat boosts away makes it a total waste of time to set up unless you can outspeed Marshadow and get a solid hit in before it uses Spectral.
OH WOW THANKS I FORGOT GHOST WAS IMMUNE TO FIGHTING! THANKS YOU'RE SO SMART I DIDN'T THINK OF THAT WHATSOEVER.

Plus, Marshadow is just bulky enough for Zamazenta to have trouble OHKOing it unboosted even if Zamazenta is fully invested in attack and Marshadow has taken LO recoil -- only Play Rough deals enough damage, and even then I am not 100% sure. At +3 defense and with Zamazenta having zero attack EVs, it will be an utter nightmare for Zamazenta to take down. Meanwhile, once Marshadow steals the defense boost, Zamazenta has to switch out unleas it outspeeds because Marshadow cleanly OHKOs with Close Combat after its ability boost is removed and it's taken Spectral Thief damage.

(Don't forget Technician Shadow Sneak here.)
You've would have 5 other Pokemon to deal with a Marshadow with unboosted offenses. If that's like the worst-case scenario for a Pokemon whose set I put no thought into optimizing around a nonexistent metagame (again you were focused on the 148 rather than 145 defense just to be pedantic, but my point was only that it would still be capable of hitting hard as well while being fast and having unprecedented physical bulk), then yeah that would be pretty OP. In this scenario where Marshadow comes in for free, takes SR damage, steals defense boosts, and takes a hit with +3 defense, it's taken about 40% while Zamazenta has taken about 25%. The following turn, Zamazenta could just switch out to something that takes on an unboosted Marshadow (any Scarfer would be just fine), or if it Dynamaxed the turn before it would've either KOed Marshadow or given itself +1 defense and enough HP to easily tank Close Combat. Again, this is just a mindless max defense spread with no consideration of the metagame (who knows when Marshadow will actually be available in the first place) and something like Marshadow isn't actually even a very big threat to it.

Zen Form Galarian Darmanitan is slightly easier to make use of thanks to its typing. Switch into Stealth Rock with an even max HP stat and you're already in activation range.

Not the most ideal of ways, of course.
Darmanitan G is only Ice, so you would have to switch in twice - should be doable, sure, but ... I want to go +6 with it <:3
It literally screems: "I have so much power, I'm going to melt myself!"

I just ran the calculations on Dragon Dance Necrozma, and it outspeeds positive-natured base 140s by one point after a boost, provided that you are Jolly and fully invest in Speed. Adamant with full attack and speed investment, sadly, gets outsped by Marshadow by 4 points and cleanly OHKOed by its own boosts.

If you're gonna run offensive Necrozma DM outside of Trick Room, Jolly is the way to go.

Really bizarre seeing a few of these moves come back as tms. Part of me is happy really simple moves like mega punch and mega kick came back after so much time on a hand's worth of movepools, other parts are kind of weirded out things so generally outclassed by other moves are coming back as TMs again. Hopefully they'll fiddle with those two in particular and adjust their accuracy and / or make them fighting type or something. Really looking forward to the move data being dumped to see which moves got more detailed tweaks.

Very happy with the massive TM overhall too. Glad to see things that had just the smallest handful of users who already naturally learned the move like Quash losing TM status. Happy to see eternal move tutors like the elemental punches come back as TMs. So, sooo happy to see Metronome back of all things as a TM. Shame it couldn't come back with the ridiculousness of Z-metronome too, but oh well.
No idea how a fiery snowman could be blazingly fast with 135! speed, but I'm not gonna complain.
1573519812313.png

LIFE'S AS EXTREME AS YOU WANNA MAKE ITTT

This gen seems primed to make a big impact on OU and I'll be excited to test - I know people always say that, but seriously.

Rillaboom: Grassy Surge is no joke, and it boasts more HP and speed than Tapu Bulu (at the expense of worse...everything else and no fairy typing). Rilla has several of the things that make Bulu great (Wood Hammer, Swords Dance, Bulk-Up, Protect, Substitute, Superpower) and several great utility side-grades to make up for not having Synthesis and Horn Leech in the form of having access to Knock-Off, U-turn, Endeavor, and its signature Drum Beating. Oh, and it has access to High Horsepower, Darkest Lariat, Acrobatics, Drain Punch, and Body Press for even more coverage options. This monkey means business.

Cinderace: I actually think it might be a bit overhyped, as it is slower than Greninja, has no priority moves, and in general has a muuuuch worse movepool for abusing Protean Libero. Still it has some good stuff - Gunk Shot is wicked stuff coming off of a base 116 attacking stat and it makes Cinderace the most powerful "Poison" type in the history of the game (minus Arceus-Poison of course). Cinderance might also be able to utilize Protean defensively in a way Gren couldn't with slightly better bulk and access to a decent steel move in Iron Head - getting to become a Steel-type on the fly is pretty powerful. I think "Worse Greninja" might end up in UU...if it wasn't for his seemingly exclusive access to the hot new move Court Change on top of all this. We'll need to test to see if Court Change is lolbroken or "just okay" but on its face the ability to completely flip the script on hazards and set-up is a HUGE deal.

Obstagoon: I was ready to write off this clown based on his Hoenn-versions' uselessness and the fact that Dark/Normal is a horrendously poor defensive typing. But then I saw its exclusive move and 520 BST. In the CAP forum it is often discussed that King's Shield is just unusably broken - the move turns matches into 50-50s and even on a 'mon without Stance Change it is busted. Obviously Obstagoon's Obstruct isn't as powerful - Screech is a lot less powerful than Feather Dance, tactically speaking. But, Obstagoon has more or less the perfect stat spread to take advantage of this with balanced and reasonable physical sweepeiness backed by solid bulk. His STAB options sorta suck and that's most likely the thing that kills him (Return, Double-Edge, Night Slash, Throat Chop :( ) but for coverage he's got Cross Chop, Close Combat, Gunk Shot, Iron Tail, Stomping Tantrum, and the elemental punches which is all pretty good. Flame Orb + Guts might just be what he needs to wreak some havoc.

Polteageist and Cursola: They learn Strength Sap. This is not a drill - these two ghosts have +100 BST over Shiinotic, have actual good abilities that further steal momentum from physical attackers, have better movesets and stat spreads than Drifblim, and they learn Strength Sap. I don't know how good either of them are (Drifblim is PU even with Tailwind and Defog) but Strength Sap is a move that causes frequent panic attacks in the CAP moveset discussion, so it is notable that we got not one but two new users.

Toxtricity looks like a CAP-mon. We have a clear niche with a powerful special attacker - Boomburst off a base 114 SpA is pretty sick, and that's before we factor in whatever bonus Punk Rock grants (god forbid it's a full 50% for "STAB" Boomburst). Even if Punk Rock is just 30% that'll still make its signature Overdrive hit a smidgen harder than Thunderbolt with perfect accuracy compared to Thunder. Sludge Wave rounds it out with surprisingly solid coverage or there's utility in the form of Volt Switch, Taunt, Acid Spray, Thunder Wave, and Shift Gear. I suspect that's the better set - but speaking of Shift Gear, unlike Magearna it boasts a reasonable list of physical attacks including decent STAB with Wild Charge and Gunk Shot and an amazing coverage/utility move in Drain Punch. It has the option to Technician Nuzzle or Acid Spray, too, but the first two options are probably just way better and combine to make an exciting, unpredictable threat.

Cinderace: I actually think it might be a bit overhyped, as it is slower than Greninja, has no priority moves, and in general has a muuuuch worse movepool for abusing Protean Libero. Still it has some good stuff - Gunk Shot is wicked stuff coming off of a base 116 attacking stat and it makes Cinderace the most powerful "Poison" type in the history of the game (minus Arceus-Poison of course). Cinderance might also be able to utilize Protean defensively in a way Gren couldn't with slightly better bulk and access to a decent steel move in Iron Head - getting to become a Steel-type on the fly is pretty powerful. I think "Worse Greninja" might end up in UU...if it wasn't for his seemingly exclusive access to the hot new move Court Change on top of all this. We'll need to test to see if Court Change is lolbroken or "just okay" but on its face the ability to completely flip the script on hazards and set-up is a HUGE deal.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Cinderace get Quick Attack for priority?

Edit:
  1. 815 - Cinderace (Stage: 3)
  2. ======
  3. Galar Dex: #6
  4. Base Stats: 80.116.75.65.75.119 (BST: 530)
  5. EV Yield: 0.0.0.0.0.3
  6. Abilities: Blaze (1) | Blaze (2) | Libero (H)
  7. Type: Fire
  8. Items: None
  9. EXP Group: MediumSlow
  10. Egg Group: Field / HumanLike
  11. Hatch Cycles: 20
  12. Height: 01.40 m, Weight: 033.0 kg, Color: White
  13. Level Up Moves:
  14. - [00] Pyro Ball
  15. - [01] Pyro Ball
  16. - [01] Feint
  17. - [01] Tackle
  18. - [01] Growl
  19. - [01] Ember
  20. - [01] Quick Attack
  21. - [12] Double Kick
  22. - [19] Flame Charge
  23. - [24] Agility
  24. - [30] Headbutt
  25. - [38] Counter
  26. - [46] Bounce
  27. - [54] Double-Edge
  28. - [62] Court Change

Indeed it does.

I hope they changed Zen Mode to remain active after healing. That would actually make it usable for both forms, since it would basically just be Power Construct. Plus the thought of Dynamax g-Darmanitan Zen Mode is godly.
It should be usable without healing in both forms, due to it's massive attack, speed and the quick way to just switch into the stronger form - not that I don't want it to stay healthy, but I doubt Zen Mode is going to work like this now

2. ======
  13. Level Up Moves:
  14. - [00] Pyro Ball
  15. - [01] Pyro Ball
  16. - [01] Feint
  17. - [01] Tackle
  18. - [01] Growl
  19. - [01] Ember
  20. - [01] Quick Attack
  21. - [12] Double Kick
  22. - [19] Flame Charge
  23. - [24] Agility
  24. - [30] Headbutt
  25. - [38] Counter
  26. - [46] Bounce
  27. - [54] Double-Edge
  28. - [62] Court Change

Indeed it does.

2. ======
  13. Level Up Moves:
  14. - [00] Pyro Ball
  15. - [01] Pyro Ball
  16. - [01] Feint
  17. - [01] Tackle
  18. - [01] Growl
  19. - [01] Ember
  20. - [01] Quick Attack
  21. - [12] Double Kick
  22. - [19] Flame Charge
  23. - [24] Agility
  24. - [30] Headbutt
  25. - [38] Counter
  26. - [46] Bounce
  27. - [54] Double-Edge
  28. - [62] Court Change

Indeed it does.
Fair point although Quick Attack is sorta meh compared to Water Shuriken :p. Still it is a tool in the toolbox to be able to swap into taking neutral damage against many targets and a good thing to keep in mind for a more defensive (Bulk Up?) Cinderace.

Edit:
  2. ======
  13. Level Up Moves:
  14. - [00] Pyro Ball
  15. - [01] Pyro Ball
  16. - [01] Feint
  17. - [01] Tackle
  18. - [01] Growl
  19. - [01] Ember
  20. - [01] Quick Attack
  21. - [12] Double Kick
  22. - [19] Flame Charge
  23. - [24] Agility
  24. - [30] Headbutt
  25. - [38] Counter
  26. - [46] Bounce
  27. - [54] Double-Edge
  28. - [62] Court Change

Indeed it does.
It gets Sucker Punch as an egg move.

If you Sucker Punch and it turns out they didn't use an attacking move that turn, your move fails early enough that Protean doesn't change type, so you won't become Dark that way. Quick Attack will succeed in turning it Normal even if it aims into a type immunity.

It should be usable without healing in both forms, due to it's massive attack, speed and the quick way to just switch into the stronger form - not that I don't want it to stay healthy, but I doubt Zen Mode is going to work like this now
The problem is it's weak to two common priorities in Aqua Jet and Mach Punch and takes neutral damage from the rest except for Ice Shard. If something outspeeds it or manages to tank a hit, then it goes down in one attack at half health and if your reliance is on Belly Drum then you can't even safely switch into any attacks without risking losing that setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)