Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Which strangely cost significantly less last gen
Is it really strange considering how less powerful the ds internet was (and the little detail it doesn't need to handle several perma-online AAA games like Switch does? :v)

DS didn't have Fortnite, didn't have Overwatch, didn't have Diablo 3, didn't have Smash Ultimate, didn't have Splatoon 2, didn't have Pokemon's Wild Area, the list goes on quite a while.

Even though the game servers are potentially on their own owners, the traffic still has to pass from Nintendo's servers.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Is it really strange considering how less powerful the ds internet was (and the little detail it doesn't need to handle several perma-online AAA games like Switch does? :v)

DS didn't have Fortnite, didn't have Overwatch, didn't have Diablo 3, didn't have Smash Ultimate, didn't have Splatoon 2, didn't have Pokemon's Wild Area, the list goes on quite a while.

Even though the game servers are potentially on their own owners, the traffic still has to pass from Nintendo's servers.
I believe Fortnite doesn't require Switch Online

Alright, I've clearly missed something here. Could you explain how traffic effects server costs, and have you got data on how much traffic Nintendo's servers has compared to the 3DS?

Alright, I've clearly missed something here. Could you explain how traffic effects server costs, and have you got data on how much traffic Nintendo's servers has compared to the 3DS?
No, you can choose to trust or not trust me on it.
But trying to compare the traffic Nintendo Switch servers have with the very little that the DS one was used for is pretty silly if you ask me.

In fact, NSO should cost approximately 3 times more to match the other consoles online services, as they are losing valuable money they'd perfectly be able to demand, but we already went over this enough times to not need to bring it again.

I believe Fortnite doesn't require Switch Online
I suppose that could be the case considering it's both a free and "online only" game (but then, so is Tetris99), but I'd consider it the exception and not the rule.
(Nontheless, it still takes up traffic on the servers)

I very much doubt the cloud storage server of Pokémon Home is the same that handles Splatoon multiplayer.
Probably a few MBs of data. Practically everything comes with free cloud storage these days when the data amount is so tiny. Think about it, every modern platform on PC has had cloud storage game saves for years. Including the games you get on sale for $3. And the data size for some games may only be a few MB but sometimes can easily be 500MB or 1GB.

Actually I honestly think GF's thought process on this is "if we're going to make a mobile phone version it's going to need some exclusive content to justify it". So they decided that while Switch's HOME would be how you transfer Pokemon over, the mobile phone version would be what you need to trade between HOME. They probably think this makes sense since you can already trade Pokemon in the game themselves... either ignorantly or purposely (or both) ignoring that Sword & Shield doesn't have GTS which makes trading easier. And that's not to mention the purpose of a mobile version is that it's for CONVENIENCE so doesn't need to have exclusive features. It just needs to provide the services we'd want on the go which it actually does... but it's the Switch's version which is the problem as it doesn't have the trading between HOME options which there was no reason for.

It's a stupid, out-of-touch way of thinking that provides no more value to the mobile version (if anything it takes away value from the Switch version) and adds additional layers of inconvenience to the players.

It could also have something to do with GF's paranoia with mobile phones, or rather mobile gaming, taking away customers (we'll just ignore Sword & Shield, despite the odds, are the best selling Switch games for 2019 and already one of the best selling games on the console; but no mobile gaming is such a threat...) that if they have anything mobile related they'd want to force people to have it on their phones. "HA! Now that trading between versions of HOME is exclusive to mobile phones they'll HAVE to download the app onto their phones!". You know, completely ignoring that most people would have done so anyway just for the convenience and they didn't need to chop that feature from the Switch version to do that.

Dialganet2 is right, this is JAIL!

This isn't home. home you're free to go in & leave whenever you like. Now sure some homes are bigger than others so only a certain number can permanently live there, but if you have more than the max amount of people that can be in your home all of them can still leave whenever they like.

On the flip side, jail you're sent to for the purpose of not being allowed to leave. In many cases you can only leave once someone has paid bail for you.

This is Pokemon JAIL.
I really don't want to tell you "told you so", but, quoting one of my favorite superhero movies (and my favorite actor of all time)...
I actually think it's more of a "buy more of our stuff" ploy than anything: they're trying to put all active apps and games with online interaction into one big plaza market with Jail and Mobile Jail but I am confident time is not a commodity and they're releasing what they have: look, you play GO, Let's Go, Gen VII and VIII? Or you want to (that's the most important question)? No problems, we got you covered with the phone app.

"Maybe after you will have finished your Sword adventure, you may want to give Go a try. Don't worry, we got your compatibility covered with the app!" Of course, Pokemon being Pokemon, the jury is still out on the execution, but I do think that's the mindset.
And clearly there was no need to strip SwSh and Switch of what will be in the app, unless they were so stranded on time-to-market that they decided to ship games without the trading features. I would not rule that out either.

Why? If I recall Wonder Trading Eggs was really popular.
I think you're referring to people trading "blind eggs" to do challenges. You can't actually wondertrade eggs, GTS or bank them, and you never could.

For the purpose of this not being the usual "beatdown of GF post", I have finally got my hand on a second hand copy of Sword last week. Playing through it right now, will do some impressions later this week (I'm currently barely at Route 3) when I have a fuller picture. There's definitely some good work done in terms of Pokemon designs and immersion, but some other aspects are blatantly botched. Full disclosure: I'm still before the first gym, just outside the mine.

On the other side, for the purpose of this being the usual "beatdown of GF post" and relating back to the trade argument, I could not have imagined a more atrocious multiplayer interface and accessibility. Oh my gosh that's bad.

On the other side, for the purpose of this being the usual "beatdown of GF post" and relating back to the trade argument, I could not have imagined a more atrocious multiplayer interface and accessibility. Oh my gosh that's bad.
Well, that is sadly undeniable.
The multiplayer "pseudo openworld" aspect of SwSh was clearly not done well at all... but then, I give them the benefit of "first try", maybe they get it better on whatever gen 9 titles we will get.

PBR Announcer: JUDGEMENT HAS BEEN DEALT! Nintendo was able to track down and expose the leaker and the website they resided in, and have blacklisted them. Thry also issued a statement, but I really think this part is interesting
“Nintendo will always protect its intellectual property and brands. Leaks hurt not just Nintendo, but the thousands of employees who work hard to bring games to market, and the millions of fans around the world who look forward to news and surprises.:

“To surprise and delight players through new experiences is a shared passion for Nintendo and The Pokemon Company. We will pursue all avenues to preserve surprises for players of future Pokemon titles.”
I might be reading a bit much into this, but I think I can read this, but I wonder if we can expect GF and Nintendo to keep cards close to their chest from here on out? With the DLC, it cant be datamined at least, so we'd only have rumors and heresay to go by. But for future gens, can we expect a similar reveal cycle like before?

I might be reading a bit much into this, but I think I can read this, but I wonder if we can expect GF and Nintendo to keep cards close to their chest from here on out? With the DLC, it cant be datamined at least, so we'd only have rumors and heresay to go by. But for future gens, can we expect a similar reveal cycle like before?
Though luck, leakers tend to not care of this. If they get their hands on data illegaly, they will usually publish it anyway.

I mean, if you read the story of how we got the beta/alphas of Green and GSC, you can get the idea that some of the best leakers actually don't care at all of your legal actions.

I actually love this, adds some much needed mystery back into the games, seeing as it can’t be datamined (for now).
Oh no, I absolutely love that we're getting a new mythical Pokémon that for once this millenium we know absolutely nothing about and can be absolutely surprised by. I'm just rolling my eyes at the news source being corocoro after Pokémon this past year has really upped its marketing game and realising this one specific easily-leaked japanese magazine is not the best place to give exclusive info to first.

No, you can choose to trust or not trust me on it.
In fact, NSO should cost approximately 3 times more to match the other consoles online services, as they are losing valuable money they'd perfectly be able to demand, but we already went over this enough times to not need to bring it again.
:facepalm:

Alright everybody, let's play everybody's favorite game!

LET'S

SOURCE

OUR

STATEMENTS

While most consoles are sold at a loss Nintendo traditionally always sells it's own consoles and services at a profit, it's safe to assume its online services make a profit as well
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/080515/economics-gaming-consoles.asp
https://www.technobuffalo.com/nintendo-switch-sold-at-profit

While NSO is cheaper than its competitors it is also of significantly poorer quality enough so to be considered comparatively more expensive
https://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-switch-online-vs-xbox-live-gold-vs-playstation-plus-2018-9
https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/19/...needs-more-than-just-a-good-classic-game-hub/

The cost of a file sharing service, which is what Pokemon Home is when all is said and done, varies according to size of the data of the files, but pokemon files are small enough that even 6 thousand of them aren't big enough to merit a paid service, now Gamefreak services have some cost but not nearly as high as 16 dollars a year taking into account the amount of data they handle
https://projectpokemon.org/docs/gen-6/pkm-structure-xy-r66/
https://www.dropbox.com/individual<-----(that's 2 GB for free forever, 6k pokemon don't even amount to 1 GB)

Asking for 16 dollars a year for a service that's a basic as Home is bizarre

Last edited:
Asking for 16 dollars a year for a service that's a basic as Home is bizarre
That's fine, and not something I disagree on.
I always said that Home having a sub is fine, but that it's definitely *far* overpriced.

I was disagreeing on people attempting to shit on NSO for the millionth time.
If anything, they could ask for more.

Keeping an eye on the apple appstore; haven't seen it on there so far.

For some reason Home is taking half an hour to download on my Switch... the heck? What's on this thing??

There's also an update for Bank that adds the password thing for Home.

I would be very surprised if Home had that info. No real need for it, it probably hasn't even been decided yet, and GF learned their lesson after the ORAS demo.

An interesting question is whether they left in any data about the new Mythical.
Considering the state of the SM demo let's not be too hasty in saying there's NOTHING to be found here.
Probably anything major is either left out or not in yet, but you never know if they left SOME nonsense in.

Does anyone have a list of all the mons that are newly available in SS? Also, are all of the updates movepools known? For example, we known Blastoise gets Shell Smash while Venusaur gets Earth Power and Weather Ball, but does Xerneas get any changes?

Ruft thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)