SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

I think the point of the fossils is that none of them actually match? There's two tops and two bottoms and none look to actually piece together properly. There's the fish head (Water), the reptilian head (Electric), the green t-rex bottom (Dragon), and whatever the hell the last bottom is (Ice). The fish head and Ice bottom look like they pair up properly, but it seems like the head is on upside down (the mouth is facing up) when you compare the eyes and patterning with Dracovish which has that colour blocking on top and mouth facing forward.

Am I making sense because they fossils aren't.

Honestly even if man-made object pokemon don't have deep-lore inspiration, who cares as long as they have good designs? I don't need a mon to have an essay's worth of inspiration behind it, I just care if the stealth bomber dragon looks cool. Like I don't see why random squirrel pokemon gets the inspiration pass but the second the fictional monster is based on something inanimate it's time to bust out the magnifying glass.

If you don't like the designs (I know I dislike the hat thing) just say you dislike them, no need to say the design is lazy because it's based on british hats compared to british sheep
Because the inspirations behind a pokemon is one of my favorite parts of the whole franchise and besides Gamefreak has a history of giving its designs a lot of care and having its standards slip is a sad thing

For example, if there was a pokemon that was based on this hat and said to protect Galar royalty that'd be awesome, bonus points if it also looked vaguely like a bear

I think the point of the fossils is that none of them actually match? There's two tops and two bottoms and none look to actually piece together properly. There's the fish head, the Electric/Dragon head, the green t-rex bottom, and the Ice bottom (whatever the hell it is). The fish head and Ice bottom look like they pair up properly, but it seems like the head is on upside down (the mouth is facing up) when you compare the eyes and patterning with Dracovish which has that colour blocking on top and mouth facing forward.

To me it seems like we're missing 2 parts. The Green T-Rex head and the Yellow lizard's bottom half. I'm hoping these show up in the other version of the game.

I think the point of the fossils is that none of them actually match? There's two tops and two bottoms and none look to actually piece together properly. There's the fish head (Water), the reptilian head (Electric), the green t-rex bottom (Dragon), and whatever the hell the last bottom is (Ice). The fish head and Ice bottom look like they pair up properly, but it seems like the head is on upside down (the mouth is facing up) when you compare the eyes and patterning with Dracovish which has that colour blocking on top and mouth facing forward.

There's a difference between the "purposefully mismatched" Pokemon design theory and GF's actual execution of it. Take a look at Silvally/Type:Null for example. This is a Pokemon that successfully executes this design paradigm by incorporating mismatched parts with style and balance to deliver an overall result that exceeds the sum of its parts. It genuinely looks Frankenstein-ish with foreign appendages but still manages to remain cohesive despite the inherently disjointed and "sewn-together" design principles underlying it.

Even with my awareness of the fact that these new fossils are designed not to match, the results are STILL hideous. Mismatching can lead to incredibly unique designs when done properly, but Dracozolt and whatever the fuck the other is called absolutely fail. There is zero harmony in size and color and the overall result is just painful to look at. GF is over-encumbering themselves by constantly trying to one-up their own designs. If you ask me, they should return to the more simplistic and less visually busy designs of Generations 1 thru 4.

There's a difference between the "purposefully mismatched" Pokemon design theory and GF's actual execution of it. Take a look at Silvally/Type:Null for example. This is a Pokemon that successfully executes this design paradigm by incorporating mismatched parts with style and balance to deliver an overall result that exceeds the sum of its parts. It genuinely looks Frankenstein-ish with foreign appendages but still manages to remain cohesive despite the inherently disjointed and "sewn-together" design principles underlying it.

Even with my awareness of the fact that these new fossils are designed not to match, the results are STILL hideous. Mismatching can lead to incredibly unique designs when done properly, but Dracozolt and whatever the fuck the other is called absolutely fail. There is zero harmony in size and color and the overall result is just painful to look at. GF is over-encumbering themselves by constantly trying to one-up their own designs. If you ask me, they should return to the more simplistic and less visually busy designs of Generations 1 thru 4.
Type Null was properly designed by excellent minds with a hell ton of budget and time, to be a fighting machine incorporating parts that comes together as well as a specifically designed type shifting device. Each part are specifically picked and extracted from the Pokemon these scientists wanted to have, possibly genetically edited such that they grow to desired sizes and be fit onto a main structure properly. It's only logical, since if the parts are horribly mismatched together it wouldn't make a successful fighting machine against super overpowered aliens.

These Frankenstein ancient Pokemon were never designed to come together in the first place. It's like fitting a T-rex head onto a Triceratops body and vice versa. They are intended to look awfully mismatched together by Galarian archaeologists who can only take a good guess what do these parts actually belong to.

To put it bluntly there was never a "real" shape for Null as it is specifically biologically engineered, tailor made for its purpose, but these fossil Pokémons really are just Pokémon that didn't get their shapes right.

Last edited:
Type Null was properly designed to be a fighting machine incorporating parts that comes together, possibly genetically edited such that they grow to desired sizes and be fit onto a main structure properly. It's only logical, since if the parts are horribly mismatched together it wouldn't make a successful fighting machine against super overpowered aliens.

These Frankenstein ancient Pokemon were never designed to come together in the first place. It's like fitting a T-rex head onto a Triceratops body and vice versa.
I am aware of that. My point is that, because GF are the designers of the final content, they could've still done a better job with that particular principle. I KNOW that they "were never designed to come together blah" but GF still failed their designs IMO. You can make "never designed to come together" cool. GF did not IMO with these new fossils.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I forget who said it, but someone said something along the lines of, and I'm definitely misquoting here, "Early archeology was finding a skull and putting whatever bones are there into something." In other words, the point is Galarian scientists have no idea what they're doing and it shows.

Now that I think about it, I like the idea of Pokemon poorly made from incompetence. (Another thing I'm shamelessly a sucker for...) I actually really like Drakovish now because it's such an amazing failure. The lower half a rex with a fish head on the tail... Were the scientist high or something?

Edit: The guy below described Drakovish better and gave a better reaction.

Ok... I was just trying to explain that I think we're still missing four "pieces" (which we'll never see ever but people will complain about it every generation). But, I think they're supposed to look ridiculous and absolutely hideous. I mean, Dracovish is literally a dinosaur's posterior, cut clean down the middle, with a fish head attached to its tail. What the fuck. You're looking for cohesiveness in a design that was clearly never meant to be cohesive. The gaudy colours, ridiculous facial expresses, and complete disregard for any anatomical accuracy... I think disgust and/or laughter were the desired response so GameFreak has clearly succeeded. None of them are "cool", they're all ugly as sin, but I admire the audacity and sense of humour. Maybe lighten up a little?

1572839588443.png

I forget who said it, but someone said something along the lines of, and I'm definitely misquoting here, "Early archeology was finding a skull and putting whatever bones are there into something." In other words, the point is Galarian scientists have no idea what they're doing and it shows.

Now that I think about it, I like the idea of Pokemon poorly made from incompetence. (Another thing I'm shamelessly a sucker for...) I actually really like Drakovish now because it's such an amazing failure. The lower half a rex with a fish head on the tail... Were the scientist high or something?
It looked good as a skeleton. Then they revived it.

GF is over-encumbering themselves by constantly trying to one-up their own designs. If you ask me, they should return to the more simplistic and less visually busy designs of Generations 1 thru 4.
They're pretty off-putting Pokemon but the whole "I wish they'd return to the simpler designs" is always really misguided. They definitely have been doing a mix between simple and detailed Pokemon. They're serving several different crowds of fans who enjoy different things, isn't that fair enough? Why do they have to force everything down a funnel of one design philosophy in a game about choice and diversity?

I like the fossils. Not sure if I’ll use them, because fossils are usually late-game only and there’s a lot of mons I’m interested in, but the ridiculousness works imo. Though I wonder what the animations will look like. (And what the hell will the breeding mechanics be?)

I am aware of that. My point is that, because GF are the designers of the final content, they could've still done a better job with that particular principle. I KNOW that they "were never designed to come together blah" but GF still failed their designs IMO. You can make "never designed to come together" cool. GF did not IMO with these new fossils.
Because this end result is what they actually wanted from the start.
Say this fish head on a tail. The Galar scientists high on tea probably thought the fish head is part of a pachycephalosarus esque Pokemon, only if it was physically possible to start with, the assumption could be completely and hilariously wrong this could be the end result.

Something that occurred to me about the new fossils:

If we run with the idea that the revival science and tech is behind other regions, they may not be capable of producing e.g. Anorith form one claw (interestingly, the creature it was based lacked a full fossil for some time and it was assumed that the remains of its claws, mouth, and body were all separate organisms). In other words, earlier fossil mons may require multiples of their fossils for one mon, and have a high likelihood of not appearing at all.

The lower half a rex with a fish head on the tail... Were the scientist high or something?
This is likely based on the history of the Elasmosaurus, when it was first discovered by E.D. Cope and reassembled them as he saw fit, and due to his field of knowledge being lizards, which usually have longer tails than necks, he placed the head at the tip of the tail (the neck is longer). This seems like a homage to that whole debacle.

Man, between Cursola and now the mix-and-match fossils...some of the new Pokemon are getting into some dark territory...I kinda like it!

I think I have experienced a little information overload and now it's time to sleep it off and hopefully enjoy some Pokemon-related dreams...(or nightmares).

11 days; I can't wait to dive in to this crazy adventure!

Gamefreak has a history of giving its designs a lot of care and having its standards slip is a sad thing
Ah yes, who could forget the rich cultural inspirations of

Purple Rat

Frog With Flower On Its Back

Butterfly

Porcupine That Digs

Singing Balloon

Ammonite

Snake Made Of Rocks

Metal Ball With Magnets

Swole Human

Angry Ball Of Fluff

Rafflesia

Deep cultural inspirations are definitely awesome, but Game Freak has definitely not always been great at it. Of course, that's also not to say that all of Gen 1 was just "do this because it looks cool". I was originally going to include Fish With Horn, but apparently it's based on something from Hinduism.

Have we seen a Koffing yet?

Also Mr. Rime is a great design, and I'm not usually a big fan of totally humanoid Pokemon. The reference to its baby form reminds me of Electivire having the matching outlet for Elekid's plug. A full circle moment. A bit odd that it looks so much smaller than Mr. Mime does, so a part of me is still thinking that maybe Galarian Mime Jr. has a split evolution? I'm hoping for Ice/Fairy typing so as not to steal Jynx's thunder, who is now the only gen 1 humanoid to be truly left in the dust post-preevo.

Ah yes, who could forget the rich cultural inspirations of

Purple Rat

Frog With Flower On Its Back

Butterfly

Porcupine That Digs

Singing Balloon

Ammonite

Snake Made Of Rocks

Metal Ball With Magnets

Swole Human

Angry Ball Of Fluff

Rafflesia

Deep cultural inspirations are definitely awesome, but Game Freak has definitely not always been great at it. Of course, that's also not to say that all of Gen 1 was just "do this because it looks cool". I was originally going to include Fish With Horn, but apparently it's based on something from Hinduism.
I agree but I find some of your Pokemon examples odd especially since you're referencing a generation that has like 8 pokemon that can accurately be described as "literally just a regular bird". Gen 1 had a lot of gems but also a lot of uninspired garbage.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
All of this discussion over the design value of the fossils and I'm just here like "oh cool we finally get fossils that aren't Rock type"

Anyways, something unrelated that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet: Seeing as we have a Galarian Meowth and an event Kantonian Meowth, it's safe to say any Pokemon with a Galarian form will also have their base form obtainable. Now the question is if Alolan forms for certain returning Kanto mons will be available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)