SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Anyone here who think there will be the possibility for doing monotype with the Galar Dex? ^^"
I’m looking forward to also possibly doing a Mono-Bug run myself. Frosmoth, Orbeetle, Centiskorch, G-max Butterfree, an anti-stealth rock set of heels, Galvantula for sticky web still, and more.
It’s not as good for Bug Pokémon as it is for Ice types, but it’s still pretty good. I’m looking forward to new ways to work with them in the new developing meta. Sucks fairy and ghost resist bug type, it’s looking like they’ll be at the top with ice at the end of the day.

This is still currently being decided. Galar Dex OU (And tiers) will be Smogon's primary cause for concern heading forwards, and there are still decisions being made about anything extending past that. There will highly likely be some sort of Other Meta (or tier) which will have all Pokemon available. Whether or not it will be "Official" is something else entirely.
I also want to formally extend this discussion to how Smogon tier leaders will proceed with Dynamax and Gigantimax in Generation 8. Dyna and Giga present the same problems Z-moves created by disrupting our traditional notions of checks and balances. From what we know so far, the secondary effects of Dynamax make a wide range of Pokemon broken (most notably DynaFight giving +1 Atk after every use). The accessibility of these effects across all Pokemon creates a scenario where Pokemon cannot be necessarily banned on an individual basis.

I wouldn't call ghost a winner yet. They did lose pretty much the only answer to Knock Off they ever had. Also, Flying isn't completely out of electric neutralities, they have rotom-fan :P.

I also want to formally extend this discussion to how Smogon tier leaders will proceed with Dynamax and Gigantimax in Generation 8. Dyna and Giga present the same problems Z-moves created by disrupting our traditional notions of checks and balances. From what we know so far, the secondary effects of Dynamax make a wide range of Pokemon broken (most notably DynaFight giving +1 Atk after every use). The accessibility of these effects across all Pokemon creates a scenario where Pokemon cannot be necessarily banned on an individual basis.
I think it depends on how they're handled in-game. Remember Wonder Launcher, Battle Royale, and Totem battles? Never had any Smogon support. If Dynamax is just a thing that happens only in specific locations it might just be passed off as a gimmick and not used in real matches. I find it hard to imagine your Pokemon Dynamaxing in someone's house or some cave or something so hopefully it won't be a part of the meta. If we have to deal with Dexit the least we could do it hope to get a good comp metagame out of it.

Edit: Then again all that matters is what Gamefreak does with standard PvP. If Battle Spot or whatever allows them I guess we have to as well.

I'm sure it'll still be possible. If anything, Ice-type teams have received HUGE buffs this gen with G-Max Lapras, Frosmoth, Galarian Darmanitan, etc. Plus, both Abomasnow and Vanilluxe are still in as Hail setters. Not to mention the new boots that block hazards.
That's not a buff to "Ice" though. It's nice that more Ice types have more tricks up their sleeve, but the typing is still as flawed as ever unless it receives a new resistance or something.

I think it depends on how they're handled in-game. Remember Wonder Launcher, Battle Royale, and Totem battles? Never had any Smogon support. If Dynamax is just a thing that happens only in specific locations it might just be passed off as a gimmick and not used in real matches. I find it hard to imagine your Pokemon Dynamaxing in someone's house or some cave or something so hopefully it won't be a part of the meta. If we have to deal with Dexit the least we could do it hope to get a good comp metagame out of it.

Edit: Then again all that matters is what Gamefreak does with standard PvP. If Battle Spot or whatever allows them I guess we have to as well.
The PvP arena is a large Dynamax area. Smogon is probably going to support it if it's available in all PvP in-game matches. It's seemingly not as oppressive and unpredictable as Z-Moves so I don't see it getting much friction after we all get our hands on the game and try it for ourselves.

I wouldn't call ghost a winner yet. They did lose pretty much the only answer to Knock Off they ever had. Also, Flying isn't completely out of electric neutralities, they have rotom-fan :P.
Well, there's still Sableye. But of course, with Bisharp and co running wild, the neutrality won't matter much. But they have Mimikyu to threaten any dark Pkm. It's going to be pretty interesting with Disguise to set up Swords Dance and then, maybe dynamaxing, to blow any threat from the field. Wonder how Mimikyu generally fares in the hypothetical meta ou.

do we have any more data on how flapple/appletun are exclusive to sword/shield respectively? split evolution based on what? and we have no info on flapple?

I will be amazed if they advertise something like Dynamax, put all this effort into making loads of new things for it, make a postgame all about hunting down things that can use it for specific purposes, and then just not allow it in anything except Elite Four rematches. It's the gen's main gimmick -- it'll almost certainly be allowed.

As for +1 Attack building Fighting moves... aren't we worried about a meta full of powerful Dark types? Seems like we've found a remedy to that. It seems likely to me that whatever the +1 Sp Atk move is will also have an immunity, given that the most likely candidates are Dragon, Ghost and Poison.

That's not a buff to "Ice" though. It's nice that more Ice types have more tricks up their sleeve, but the typing is still as flawed as ever unless it receives a new resistance or something.
Ice may be flawed defensively, but it's one of the best offensive types in the game. The Ice type doesn't need defensive buffs. It needs Game Freak to make more fast and strong Ice types, like Weavile and Mamoswine, as well as the new Frosmoth, Galarian Darmanitan, and Mr. Rime (jury's still out on those last two).

It's seemingly not as oppressive and unpredictable as Z-Moves
Somehow I don't think a Mega evolution that allows you to hold an item followed by three turns of Z moves, some of which give free stat boosts, which can be activated at any point of time on literally any Pokemon in the game is going to be "less oppressive and unpredictable".

Edit: Don't get me wrong I'm excited for gen 8 but I'm not convinced that this meta will be any better than gen 7.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Important thing to note about dynamaxing- anything can do it, with no item restriction. This means you can choose what you dynamax on the fly to counter an opponent’s dynamax. A lot more nuance compared to “My Heatran will now beat water types with this item” like Z moves were

Important thing to note about dynamaxing- anything can do it, with no item restriction. This means you can choose what you dynamax on the fly to counter an opponent’s dynamax. A lot more nuance compared to “My Heatran will now beat water types with this item” like Z moves were
Dynamax also achieves what z moves did and more. You get more bulk AND heatran will smash water types with dynamax solar beams.

Somehow I don't think a Mega evolution that allows you to hold an item followed by three turns of Z moves,
Max moves are significantly less powerful than Z-moves in terms of BP, and Mega Evolution boosts stats other than HP whereas most (all?) Dynamax forms *only* boost HP and are consequently much more defensively inclined. It's true that they can snowball over time, but having that time to react means you can do things like Dynamax your own Pokemon to double its HP. (If the power boost comes from a terrain effect, you can also overwrite their terrain with your own Max moves, and the fact that Dynamax forms are so bulky means you will probably be able to do that.)

I'm really not convinced that Dynamax is going to be easy as "your counter just gets obliterated by a 200 BP move, better luck next time", primarily because the BP boost is simply not enough to turn a non-STAB move into a virtually guaranteed one-hit nuke most of the time. That said, it will make certain Pokemon more potent because moves like Fly and Solarbeam will be reasonably practical to use, which... good?

I will be amazed if they advertise something like Dynamax, put all this effort into making loads of new things for it, make a postgame all about hunting down things that can use it for specific purposes, and then just not allow it in anything except Elite Four rematches. It's the gen's main gimmick -- it'll almost certainly be allowed.

As for +1 Attack building Fighting moves... aren't we worried about a meta full of powerful Dark types? Seems like we've found a remedy to that. It seems likely to me that whatever the +1 Sp Atk move is will also have an immunity, given that the most likely candidates are Dragon, Ghost and Poison.
Yeah its already confirmed to be in the battle tower so it should be a staple in Nintendo supported multi.

This does raise a lot of questions yeah.

I can't really imagine it will be that big a hindrance in the long run but it does raise a lot of questions on how banning dynamax specific stuff should be handled.

Like I saw in the theoretical beta gyarados abuses dynamaxing way too well. If this proves to be an issue could just dynamaxing be banned from gyarados or would it ultimately ban gyarados as a whole? Just, as an example.

I think this gen we have 3 possible metas to consider in Showdown

1) Galar-Meta (should be the official)
2) All Pokemon in Galar meta: Gen 8 mechanics with all pokemons (no megas, no z moves, etc)
3) All gen combat gimmicks meta: All Pokemon, with all combat mechanics from past gen (megas, Z moves, gems, giga/dynamax)

So it is no so simple to especulate about viability of pokemons in showdown

I'm really not convinced that Dynamax is going to be easy as "your counter just gets obliterated by a 200 BP move, better luck next time", primarily because the BP boost is simply not enough to turn a non-STAB move into a virtually guaranteed one-hit nuke most of the time. That said, it will make certain Pokemon more potent because moves like Fly and Solarbeam will be reasonably practical to use, which... good?
By the experimentation on playable Demos, the powerboost of Max moves was only all the way to 150 for a 120 BP base move, and up to 120 for a 40 BP move.

Safe to say D-max moves are all between 120 and 150 BP of power, so much MUCH less powerful than Z-moves. They're basically accurate Draco Meteors with bonus effects.

2) All Pokemon in Galar meta: Gen 8 mechanics with all pokemons (no megas, no z moves, etc)
3) All gen combat gimmicks meta: All Pokemon, with all combat mechanics from past gen (megas, Z moves, gems, giga/dynamax)
Those 2 not only overlap a lot, but the problem is that you can't actually really work out number 3: we can't know if a Dinamaxed pokemon can use Z-moves or mega evolve, nor if a Mega can Dinamax.

Or your counter gets mashed because they decided to Dynamax that specific turn and now you're forced to Dynamax your Weavile to desperately take back momentum. It's not like the game asks you if you want to Dynamax when your opponent does, you just get boned. I don't see how any argument could be made that this will promote a healthy metagame.

Time to slap Protect on every Pokemon that can feasibly run it.

Max moves are significantly less powerful than Z-moves in terms of BP
When was this ever confirmed.

By the experimentation on playable Demos, the powerboost of Max moves was only all the way to 150 for a 120 BP base move, and up to 120 for a 40 BP move.

Safe to say D-max moves are all between 120 and 150 BP of power, so much MUCH less powerful than Z-moves. They're basically accurate Draco Meteors with bonus effects.
So when you hold a Life Orb they are actually significantly more powerful than a Z move.

I think this gen we have 3 possible metas to consider in Showdown

1) Galar-Meta (should be the official)

So it is no so simple to especulate about viability of pokemons in showdown
...would all gimmicks at once even be possible?

...would all gimmicks at once even be possible?
I wanna say yes, but I'm not sure how it would exactly be done. It seems like it would be a mess deciding how the mechanics will intertwine (I.E. can you max a Z move user, can you use Dynamax after using a Z move, balancing all three together.) I imagine National OU would be Z move / mega-less because of this, but all three could possibly exist together in another meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)