SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Speaking of Doubles, Overdrive's description makes it sound like a foe-only spread move - basically an Electric-type Hyper Voice. Maybe Toxtricity has some potential as a Specs user similar to Pixilate Sylveon, able to switch in easily thanks to its whopping 8 resistances. Or you could run Life Orb and Dynamax, taking advantage of Electric Terrain and Poison Max Move SpA boosts to hit hard.

Also TIL that Belch apparently isn't considered a sound-based move? Hopefully that gets changed, I wanna burp things to death with my punk lizard.

These are the exact Aegi stats, probably safe to assume the nerf applies to its attack stats in blade form as well
Aw, it's not like it was broken in vgc, the only thing they actually balance for... (Maybe they're also balancing things for ranked 3v3 though now?)

Hoping that this is because Aegi has two secret forms obtained by equipping Zacian/Zamazenta's items that gives it their auto +1 abilities (locking into sword or shield form depending on item), and this is to not make those forms broken. :P one can dream...

If on the other hand they've just started nerfing things for balance, I don't think we've seen battle tower toxapex's stats yet, right?

Also, somehow I just knew in my heart of hearts that the memey ghost I didn't care for would turn out to be one of the busted ones. Still not using you in-game, Polteageist!

It'll be interesting to see just how much Punk Rock boosts sound moves now that we know it has an 80BP stab move and a 140BP move that'll get boosted by it, has potential to be a big time wall breaker.

For those worried about shell smash dynamax SP, remember that moves change to Max Moves, and will be based on stored powers ORIGINAL power.

That being said, mmmmm im loving all these goodies. Im surprised nobody mentioned Bulk Up+Body Press, that could be a big deal. For Polteageist, now its weak armor is a bit acarier, as any attack will now make it plus 3 speed before it starts rampaging. I dont think full smash pass teams are gonna be a thing ever again tho, hopefully it doesnt make pokemon TOO CRAZY. Toxricity gets a stab voice moon as i expected, was hoping itd be poison, but i guess overdrive Belch can do.

Now the dynamax level thing is interesting...double HP is basically Zygarde Complete levels of bulk, but it only lasts 3 turns. Still, more than enough time to change some tides if your smart.

So about those relearner Move Lists...
Was it confirmed that relearnable Moves are bound to the current Level and that you can't teach any Level-up move at any Time anymore?

Edit: Forgot that they are availavle at every Pokémon-Center now, so it makes sense. Still a bummer.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
All right, so...

- The two new most threatening offensive mon this gen are ghost types
- A large number of powerful dark types such as Bisharp or Weavile are returning
- There are no more un-knockable mega gems or z-crystals

Prepare for the biggest Knock Off spam you'll have ever seen

All right, so...

- A large number of powerful dark types such as Bisharp or Weavile are returning

That would be interesting. I wonder if Knock Off will receive a nerf this gen due to the lack or z-moves and megas. Like a base power decrease to 55 or removing the 1.5x power boost if the opponent has an item.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
-People were doubting Cursola's defensive capabilities, and then they went ahead and gave it the best healing move in the game. Eviolite Galarian Corsola is gonna be the new face of lower-tier stall, and not a happy one.

-Everything that has been said about Polteageist has been said. Praise the tea

-Aegislash got a stat nerf, huh? First off, has that ever happened before? Second off, I doubt this'll make much of a difference in Smogon OU, it'll likely still get the banhammer eventually for King's Shield BS. Could make it a bit less unbearable in this gen's Battle Spot equivalent though

-Now that we got a better look at Gigantamax Lapras, I like it. I think he deserved it since he's the Nessie Pokemon and all and IMO a Galarian form would've been redundant. That said, I'm a bit surprised and concerned the leaker hasn't shown any brand new Gigantamaxes not from Gen 1 or Gen 8. If Garbodor is seriously the only one... ...honestly, I wouldn't even be mad. That's just hilarious, intentional or not. Whatever, we'll get our answers when the datamine comes or when the game releases...

To say something constructive:
It's interesting how a lot of past Signature Moves, especially for Pokemon not in the Galar Dex like the Starters, are being made into TRs. I like it! While I understand a Signature Move and Ability makes a Pokemon special when it debuts, I think after the debut it has served its purpose so can be spread to other Pokemon who could logically learn it. It's the same way I've been feeling about many Mythicals these past few gens, make at least half of them into regular Legendary Pokemon you can catch normally in the next game.
While usually the starter signature moves get handed out to other 'mons the generation after their debut, it is nice to see them added to TRs. Hopefully Spirit Shackle isn't given to Dragapult if it is one such move though.

-People were doubting Cursola's defensive capabilities, and then they went ahead and gave it the best healing move in the game. Eviolite Galarian Corsola is gonna be the new face of lower-tier stall, and not a happy one.
We don't quite know if Galarian Corsola gets Strength Sap, since it could be available to Cursola only. If Galarian Corsola does get it, however, then it's going to be a pretty sturdy wall, but dies to Knock Off. Knock Off is already looking like the GOAT of the Galar Meta isn't it?

Also on another note: I see Runerigus doesn't get Shadow Sneak via level up, think it'll be an Egg Move or just omitted entirely? If it's the latter then that's a little disappointing, but I don't think it'll be a deal breaker.

All right, so...

I'm waiting for the datamine (or the regular release at this point) to confirm if Knock Off is actually returning as a TM/TR move. I could see GF limiting its distribution now that Mega Stones/Z-Crystals are gone, with Darkest Lariat or other moves meant as a replacement for things that appreciated Dark coverage such as Conkeldurr.

The lack of unremovable items and general lower power level makes moves like Trick/Switcheroo and strategies like Sitrus Harvest somewhat more useful, it would be lame to have that stopped short due to everyone just spamming Knock Off.

Aw, it's not like it was broken in vgc, the only thing they actually balance for... (Maybe they're also balancing things for ranked 3v3 though now?)
I don't recall Aegi being good in either vgc or bss tho, which makes it a weird nerf.

Unless they were scared of someone dinamaxing a shield-form Aegislash? I wonder if Max Moves will trigger his form change

So Snorlax has Immunity and from earlier images we know its items is Sitrus berry. Is it fair to assume that either it lost access to gluttony or pinch berries were nerfed?

Aegislash nerf is understandable, at least for vgc. Keep in mind that VGC formats haven't been kind to Aegislash recently. 2 gs cup formats (16 and 19), and Incineroar was everywhere in 18 and 19. Aegislash was fine in VGC14 iirc

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, Aegislash was great on VGC during gen 6, and they know very well what would happen when they removed Incineroar and Landorus-T.
Also, I don't think we can just keep saying "GF doesn't care about singles!" Of course their focus is doubles, but there are quite a few changes during gen 7 and this one that benefited singles way more.

Last edited:

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
So Snorlax has Immunity and from earlier images we know its items is Sitrus berry. Is it fair to assume that either it lost access to gluttony or pinch berries were nerfed?

Aegislash nerf is understandable, at least for vgc. Keep in mind that VGC formats haven't been kind to Aegislash recently. 2 gs cup formats (16 and 19), and Incineroar was everywhere in 18 and 19. Aegislash was fine in VGC14 iirc
That or abilities might be random. I know they did that in previous gens that had rental mons. (or B2W2 at least)

Does anyone know how we get the mons that have the ability to G-Max and not D-Max?
I mean if I want a Corviknight G-Max I think I must catch one that is already G-Max in a raid but does that mean that we won't be able to get G-Max until like the 5th badge?
For comparison, in XY we could already mega at the 3rd badge (which was quite broken with M-Lucario)

Does anyone know how we get the mons that have the ability to G-Max and not D-Max?
I mean if I want a Corviknight G-Max I think I must catch one that is already G-Max in a raid but does that mean that we won't be able to get G-Max until like the 5th badge?
For comparison, in XY we could already mega at the 3rd badge (which was quite broken with M-Lucario)
Yeah, you won't be able to get them until whenever you can do Max Raids.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Leaker says:

0 Dynamax level = 1.5x HP

Full Dynamax level = 2x HP
Good to have this confirmed.
Powder Snow
Tackle
Mist
Weather Ball
Icy Wind
Headbutt
Amnesia
Freeze-dry
Hail
Aurora Veil
Surf
Blizzard
Uhh... Amnesia? AMNESIA! This thing is going to be so fun in the Battle Tower if the AI doesn't understand Ice Face!

Eiscue @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Face
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Hail
-Amnesia
-Substitute
-Any Good Attack/Any Bad Attack/Swagger

Just use Hail and set up Amnesia against a Psychical Attacker. Substiture should be used on the turn Hail will run out or when the opponent is about to get KOed by Hail. Hail lasts just long enough to recover from Substitute's damage with Leftovers and it helps guard from Status Moves and Critical Hits from Special Attackers, so I think using it over Protect is a good idea. That said, we don't know if Substitute or Ice Face breaks first, so we don't know if you can just leave Substitute up and laugh. The last move is about how much style you want. Any Good Attack is if you want to be safe, Any Bad Attack is to mock the AI or a friend that didn't know about Ice Face, and Swagger turns you into Taunt bait but is the most insult to injury I could think of.

Last edited:
Yeah, you won't be able to get them until whenever you can do Max Raids.
Well then I will have to wait a reeeeally long time until I can get my babies grimmsnarl, centiskorch and appletun since I will have to wait to discover a raid max with their G-Max form and not catch them as a pre-evolution...

I don't think the leaker was being specific enough. When he says the Gigantamax only raises HP, does he mean it's the same exact HP boost as regular Dynamax or it's an even larger HP boost than Dynamax?
He did say that charizard G-Max only change HP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)