Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've made myself clear—random battles operates on procedural generation, and the *only* thing it looks for is to force a fire move. It does not specifically force fire lash. It does not force both. It just forces a fire move. If another fire move is added, fire lashless sets will exist, just because it will procedurally generate as such with only the other fire move.
That could be solved by forcing a rigid moveset of 4 fixed moves, like Wailord is able to get both Hydro Pump and Water Spout in its forced Specs set. I believe Ludicolo and Kingdra also circunvent the coding problem by having 5 moves and 1 of them being a setup move, so they either run Specs/LO with 4 offensive moves or they run Rain Dance + 3 offensive moves ; about Kingdra, I believe it also avoids Flip Turn + Rain Dance as there is recent rule to avoid moves that force switch of the user together with setup moves.

However it seems that would require for one of its current moves (Coil, ~~Fire Lash~~, Leech Life, Knock Off, Power Whip) to be removed. Coil wouldn't need to go as there already is some rule to avoid mixed sets on setup mons ; so either Leech Life, Knock Off or Power Whip would be removed. Usage statistics would allow to remove the least used move of Centiskorch to be replaced.

That could be solved by forcing a rigid moveset of 4 fixed moves, like Wailord is able to get both Hydro Pump and Water Spout in its forced Specs set. I believe Ludicolo and Kingdra also circunvent the coding problem by having 5 moves and 1 of them being a setup move, so they either run Specs/LO with 4 offensive moves or they run Rain Dance + 3 offensive moves ; about Kingdra, I believe it also avoids Flip Turn + Rain Dance as there is recent rule to avoid moves that force switch of the user together with setup moves.

However it seems that would require for one of its current moves (Coil, ~~Fire Lash~~, Leech Life, Knock Off, Power Whip) to be removed. Coil wouldn't need to go as there already is some rule to avoid mixed sets on setup mons ; so either Leech Life, Knock Off or Power Whip would be removed. Usage statistics would allow to remove the least used move of Centiskorch to be replaced.
Been said before, not worth the effort.

Suggestion for rayquaza, make a LO set for it to replace av. Currently, rayquaza can roll AV which is like not that great. LO would substancially enhance rayquaza's breaking power because of raquaza's supurb attacking stats(150/150). AV just feels really weak, and raquaza cant really take advantage of av at all, as the strong special attacking moves are mostly supereffective against it(moonblast, ice beam, draco, etc). LO would just give it the extra oophm to break much easiler and hit way harder(maybe add more special moves also?)

Some suggestions I have spent time tinkering with

- Remove Steely Spirit from Perrserker. Everyone can see an Iron Head coming from a mile away, and while non-effective Iron Head will hit for ok damage against resists, its low speed means that it will be unable to trade for good damage against them. It's not like the difference in power with Tough Claws is massive against neutral targets either - and if you add weakness it's actually overkill for most of them

Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Steely Spirit Perrserker Iron Head vs. Lvl 88 85 HP / 85 Def Vaporeon: 133-157 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Iron Head vs. Lvl 88 85 HP / 85 Def Vaporeon: 115-136 (30.9 - 36.5%) -- 67% chance to 3HKO

Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Iron Head vs. Lvl 82 85 HP / 85 Def Mew: 171-202 (57.3 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Steely Spirit Perrserker Iron Head vs. Lvl 82 85 HP / 85 Def Mew: 198-234 (66.4 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Iron Head vs. Lvl 88 85 HP / 85 Def Avalugg: 194-230 (62.5 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Steely Spirit Perrserker Iron Head vs. Lvl 88 85 HP / 85 Def Avalugg: 222-264 (71.6 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And while Tough Claws vs Steely Spirit likewise doesn't have much of an effect in neutral/weak targets, it's actually very important as it makes the chip from U-Turn far harder to tank

Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Perrserker U-turn vs. Lvl 82 85 HP / 85 Def Jirachi: 77-91 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker U-turn vs. Lvl 82 85 HP / 85 Def Jirachi: 100-118 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Perrserker U-turn vs. Lvl 86 85 HP / 85 Def Arcanine: 43-51 (14.5 - 17.2%) -- possible 6HKO
Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Perrserker Close Combat vs. Lvl 86 85 HP / 85 Def Arcanine: 148-175 (50.1 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker U-turn vs. Lvl 86 85 HP / 85 Def Arcanine: 56-66 (18.9 - 22.3%) -- possible 5HKO
Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Perrserker Close Combat vs. Lvl 86 85 HP / 85 Def Arcanine: 192-227 (65 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

U-Turning twice with Tough Claws puts Arcanine in a tough spot as it can't now switch into Perrserker a third time without falling to Close Combat - something that Steely Spirit Perrserker fails to do. And while Iron Head will hit for a big chunk
Lvl 88 85 Atk Choice Band Steely Spirit Perrserker Iron Head vs. Lvl 86 85 HP / 85 Def Arcanine: 111-131 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
it will also force Perrserker to switch out, which may give Arcanine the chance to heal off the damage with Morning Sun or cripple something with Will O' Wisp. I have many more examples like this (the previous Jirachi will fall to the Tough Claws U-Turn + Crunch combination, but is able to switch-in twice and threaten Perrserker with Iron Head if not Tough Claws, for example), but by this point I think you get the gist of it.

My second suggestion is the exchange of Flamethrower for Mystical Fire in Eternatus.

Lvl 76 85 SpA Eternatus Mystical Fire vs. Lvl 84 85 HP / 85 SpD Mew: 51-60 (16.7 - 19.6%) -- not a KO
Lvl 76 85 SpA Eternatus Flamethrower vs. Lvl 84 85 HP / 85 SpD Mew: 61-72 (20 - 23.6%) -- not a KO

Lvl 76 85 SpA Eternatus Mystical Fire vs. Lvl 86 85 HP / 85 SpD Celebi: 100-118 (32 - 37.8%) -- 92% chance to 3HKO
Lvl 76 85 SpA Eternatus Flamethrower vs. Lvl 86 85 HP / 85 SpD Celebi: 118-140 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I will admit that the difference in power actually makes do for some scenarios where your 3HKOs will become 4HKOs - weakness to Sludge Bomb notwithstanding - but power is not the argument here. Mystical Fire is an easy move to spam, and aids Eternatus capabilities as a tank.

-1 Lvl 80 85 SpA Choice Specs Slowking-Galar Psychic vs. Lvl 76 85 HP / 85 SpD Eternatus: 186-222 (55 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 Lvl 80 85 SpA Choice Specs Slowking-Galar Psychic vs. Lvl 76 85 HP / 85 SpD Eternatus: 140-168 (41.4 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Something like Specs Slowking that would otherwise be the easiest switch-in to Eternatus and get to fire off an humongous Psychic instead gets all its Psychic PP stalled out as Eternatus proceeds to spam Recover after the second sp atk drop from Mystical Fire. Dialga, which can otherwise tank the flamethrower + dynamax cannon combination and then threaten Eternatus with a 50% chance to OHKO with Draco Meteor, gets stalled out now.

-2 Lvl 76 85 SpA Dialga Draco Meteor vs. Lvl 76 85 HP / 85 SpD Eternatus: 156-186 (46.1 - 55%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO

Non-Calm Mind Necrozma Dawn Wings now uses its attack to determine the power of Photon Geyser and gets all its PP stalled out after recover spam
Lvl 76 85 Atk Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Photon Geyser vs. Lvl 76 85 HP / 85 SpD Eternatus: 188-224 (55.6 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

All of these calcs work much better - or rely on - Black Sludge being present on Eternatus, which was the other part of my suggestion, removing Metronome entirely. Metronome rarely factors into the way Eternatus is played, which usually consists of breaking attack chains in order to attack with a higher BP move or recovering damage from hazards and stray attacks. Black Sludge + Mystical Fire makes the most out of Eternatus great defensive typing, Pressure and Recover, enabling it to tank some of the strongest attacks in the entire game and PP stall them.

Last edited:
Some suggestions I have spent time tinkering with

- Remove Steely Spirit from Perrserker. Everyone can see an Iron Head coming from a mile away, and while non-effective Iron Head will hit for ok damage against resists, its low speed means that it will be unable to trade for good damage against them. It's not like the difference in power with Tough Claws is massive against neutral targets either - and if you add weakness it's actually overkill for most of them
I see no issues about it. I believe Steely Spirit was added precisely as Perrserker is so slow, you want to have the maximum damage possible with Iron Head, even if it is vs a resistance as you can partially break through it. CBand is already there to ensure that enemies can't simply switch to regular resistances as they risk getting 3hko'd/2hko'd. Often you're using Iron Head even vs obvious resistances because CBand on neutral without Iron Head is often setup bait.

Edgar81539 said:
My second suggestion is the exchange of Flamethrower for Mystical Fire in Eternatus.

All of these calcs work much better - or rely on - Black Sludge being present on Eternatus, which was the other part of my suggestion, removing Metronome entirely. Metronome rarely factors into the way Eternatus is played, which usually consists of breaking attack chains in order to attack with a higher BP move or recovering damage from hazards and stray attacks. Black Sludge + Mystical Fire makes the most out of Eternatus great defensive typing, Pressure and Recover, enabling it to tank some of the strongest attacks in the entire game and PP stall them.
I agree with Black Sludge. Eternatus has decent bulk, cannot be Toxic'd except by Salazzle, doesn't have 4x weakness, has access to recover, can ignore some Dynamax HP boosts, and can clear TSpikes. Dmax Cannon metronome is a meme.
I don't know if I agree with Mystical Fire replacing Flamethrower. Steels are immune to Eternatus STABs or resist it, so Mystical Fire will often be inferior than Flamethrower vs them. Sure, it wins vs special attackers, but I feel that often they don't want to face Eternatus anyways due to decent bulk + recovery + toxic/sludge wave poison being obvious anti-setup;

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1301916652-125f7acls4qeorf6haebwlfcv594duspw

I hadn't used this thread in a while, so unfortunately forgot to screenshot but I just wanted to ask if Giga Drain + Petal Dance on Lilligant was intentional. I got the set Quiver Dance/ Giga Drain/ Petal Dance/ Sleep Powder. I think it would be better to have only one Grass move and Pollen Puff to give it a way to hit bulky Grass types better, as there are no real benefits of having both Grass type options on the same set.

Dark pulse should be used over shadow ball if shadow ball is just being used for coverage because it lowers spdef when dynamaxed. Relevant mons affected are meowstic-f, porygon-z, gothitelle and beheeyem
bumping this since it seems to have been buried by the Hydro Pump vs Liquidation sharpedo discussion. Thoughts?

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
bumping this since it seems to have been buried by the Hydro Pump vs Liquidation sharpedo discussion. Thoughts?
Hitting the several Psychic/Fairies super effectively is deemed enough of a reason to use shadow ball over dark pulse on Psychic-types. Porygon-Z does not have this problem as much, so it runs Dark Pulse.

I think we should remove Future Sight from the Slowking/Slowbro family. I understand how it's useful in tiers where you can build a team that has great synergy w TeleSight, but in rands I've found it very underwhelming. It's only gotten me once--every other time I've found it easier to play around than the immediate damage provided by Psyshock or Psychic. And on the flipside, I find myself wishing I had Psychic or Psyshock in most situations where I get Future Sight.

Future Sight is a move that greatly benefits from teambuilding. In OU, for example, you can use Future Sight then Teleport to switch in to something like Clefable or Urshifu, which may have a good matchup against things with advantages against Psychic type moves. It's also useful against Toxapex, which is big. And if you see something that Future Sight is useless against in team preview, you can avoid using it/be more careful using it in that match. In rands you don't get to build your team, and you don't know what's on the other team, so the uncertainty of using Future Sight generally makes it a worse option than going for immediate damage.

I'm not even saying it's bad, but the alternative is better. We should keep Teleport either way though.

I think we should remove Future Sight from the Slowking/Slowbro family. I understand how it's useful in tiers where you can build a team that has great synergy w TeleSight, but in rands I've found it very underwhelming. It's only gotten me once--every other time I've found it easier to play around than the immediate damage provided by Psyshock or Psychic. And on the flipside, I find myself wishing I had Psychic or Psyshock in most situations where I get Future Sight.

Future Sight is a move that greatly benefits from teambuilding. In OU, for example, you can use Future Sight then Teleport to switch in to something like Clefable or Urshifu, which may have a good matchup against things with advantages against Psychic type moves. It's also useful against Toxapex, which is big. And if you see something that Future Sight is useless against in team preview, you can avoid using it/be more careful using it in that match. In rands you don't get to build your team, and you don't know what's on the other team, so the uncertainty of using Future Sight generally makes it a worse option than going for immediate damage.

I'm not even saying it's bad, but the alternative is better. We should keep Teleport either way though.
I highly disagree with this, because i would argue that in randbats future sight is actually more useful because of the lack of team preview. Let me explain. For an example lets say that you have bro in against a mon it walls, and you could click scald or psyshock but by clicking future sight you set yourself up much better. If you future sigh and they go into their dark type you can switch to your fairy or fighting type, forcing the dark type out. This situation is very common, and in those situations, fighting + future sight is just a sure kill. This is why future should definitely be kept.

I highly disagree with this, because i would argue that in randbats future sight is actually more useful because of the lack of team preview. Let me explain. For an example lets say that you have bro in against a mon it walls, and you could click scald or psyshock but by clicking future sight you set yourself up much better. If you future sigh and they go into their dark type you can switch to your fairy or fighting type, forcing the dark type out. This situation is very common, and in those situations, fighting + future sight is just a sure kill. This is why future should definitely be kept.
But do you have a Fairy or Fighting type? And what if their dark type has substitute? Or, what if they just send in a Psychic type, or something that can heal off that damage without too much trouble? In most situations where I'm up against something Slowbro walls, my goal is to either kill that threat or spread status (spreading status particularly being a more reliable option than going w Future Sight. and yeah, some things may resist toxic/twave, but getting one of those off often matters more than hitting one powerful move. also, twave has two resistances, one of which is weak to water, and toxic has two resistances, one of which is weak to psychic. plus you can spread scald burns). Banking on a team that has good synergy w Future Sight, or on a team that has a bad matchup against it, is less reliable than taking chunks when I can get them, or spreading status.

That being said, for whatever reason I've found Future Sight is a lil better on Slowbro than Slowking (might be coincidental, might not be), so I'd be ok w Slowbro keeping it. I really think the Slowkings should drop it though

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
I hold the same feeling when I would sometimes want Psyshock or Psychic instead of Future Sight but those are pretty rare. If used right, future sight slowking and slowbro are incredibly difficult to deal with and it forces your opponent to play a certain way.

In rands you don't get to build your team, and you don't know what's on the other team, so the uncertainty of using Future Sight
Lack of team preview doesn't really do much against future sight from experience and it still forces opponents to reveal mons and take damage. I sometimes even use pokemon that beat the switchins to future sight if their team isn't revealed to take advantage.

And what if their dark type has substitute?
That's a total of 2 Pokemon, one in which doesn't get sub often.

Or, what if they just send in a Psychic type, or something that can heal off that damage without too much trouble?
but Psyshock or Psychic doesn't solve this issue.

I also think slowbro utilizes it better than slowking but Future sight is still very good on slowking. I wouldn't personally remove any.

but Psyshock or Psychic doesn't solve this issue.
W Psychic/Psyshock they don't know your move when you choose it. You could be clicking immediate damage, clicking status, or clicking something else. If you choose Future Sight, they know what's coming and can more assuredly send in a mon that can heal off the damage (or send in a Psychic resist)

Still, I haven't had much experience w those mons, so I'll try some new strats w them

W Psychic/Psyshock they don't know your move when you choose it. You could be clicking immediate damage, clicking status, or clicking something else. If you choose Future Sight, they know what's coming and can more assuredly send in a mon that can heal off the damage (or send in a Psychic resist)

Still, I haven't had much experience w those mons, so I'll try some new strats w them
The same applies to future sight.....you don't have to click it.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Can we do something about Persian? I know it's a tragic Pokémon with its horrible offenses, but Banded 4 Atks just isn't it lol. Its coverage options are pitifully weak (looking at you, Play Rough) and you don't necessarily roll stuff like Fake Out which is kinda the point of the set in the first place.

Imo, drop Play Rough - it's such a horrible move even when SE and is something you'll rarely click when Tech Fake Out, and U-turn + Knock's utility are far better.

Add Switcheroo - as Persian might as well be going into a match 5-6, Switcheroo would allow it to effectively "trade" with something by incapacitating it. After it Switcheroos its Band, I know you're going to get an even more deadweight mon, but that's up to the player and they can still keep stuff like Banded moves if it is required.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Can we do something about Persian? I know it's a tragic Pokémon with its horrible offenses, but Banded 4 Atks just isn't it lol. Its coverage options are pitifully weak (looking at you, Play Rough) and you don't necessarily roll stuff like Fake Out which is kinda the point of the set in the first place.

Imo, drop Play Rough - it's such a horrible move even when SE and is something you'll rarely click when Tech Fake Out, and U-turn + Knock's utility are far better.

Add Switcheroo - as Persian might as well be going into a match 5-6, Switcheroo would allow it to effectively "trade" with something by incapacitating it. After it Switcheroos its Band, I know you're going to get an even more deadweight mon, but that's up to the player and they can still keep stuff like Banded moves if it is required.
Agreed that Persian could do with an overhaul, and would like to point out some of its older utility sets in past gens of randbats. A fast Taunt user is usually useful if played well, U-Turn pivots on switches it forces, and Hypnosis while a little inconsistent still has virtue imo for forcing those same switches.

Fake Out, Taunt, U-Turn, Hypnosis, and Knock Off seems like a fine pool of moves. Maybe Thunder Wave too, I’m pretty sure it learns that.

Could we discuss Heracross sets? Right now Heracross is a exclusive wallbreaker with Guts+Flame Orb and CC/Megahorn/Knock Off/Facade, which is a fine set, but there are more stuff it can run.

Moxie works as alternate ability and it can setup with Bulk Up and Swords Dance since gen3 ; it also has access to Aerial Ace for Max Airstream as well. A set like Moxie+LO and Bulk Up/Megahorn/CC/Aerial Ace is as viable as the current set, or even a 4 attack Guts+Flame Orb and Megahorn/CC/Aerial Ace/Knock Off to abuse being immune to toxic/wow and using Max Airstream to reach 280 speed.

The same applies to future sight.....you don't have to click it.
But if you click Future Sight, they know when it is coming, and you can only use it once every few turns. If you click Future Sight, there are two turns before it hits, which gives more opportunity to react to it. Which is why, like I said, it is more vulnerable to a resist or something that will heal it off. Once you click Future Sight, they are 100% certain what the outcome of that move is before the outcome is delivered.

For example, if I am up against a dragon type w Slowking, Psychic lets me consistently deal damage. But if I use Future Sight, they can damage me all they want then send in something to absorb Future Sight.

Last edited:
But if you click Future Sight, they know it is coming. If you click Future Sight, there are two turns before it hits, which gives more opportunity to react to it. Which is why, like I said, it is more vulnerable to a resist or something that will heal it off. Once you click Future Sight, they are 100% certain what the outcome of that move is before the outcome is delivered.
Moot point, why? Because knowing future sight is coming is the entire point of the move, to apply pressure. Future sight is undoubtedly better than clicking a psychic move on a dark type, or clicking scald and burning a tanky mon that you would like to poison more. Future sight is definitely superior to psychic/psyshock

Moot point, why? Because knowing future sight is coming is the entire point of the move, to apply pressure. Future sight is undoubtedly better than clicking a psychic move on a dark type, or clicking scald and burning a tanky mon that you would like to poison more. Future sight is definitely superior to psychic/psyshock
I edited that as you responded. I'm just saying, Future Sight diminishes Slowking's ability to function as an individual mon. If it's up against something where Psychic coverage is useful, and it has Future Sight, it becomes easier to play around.
Not to mention, if you're up against a poison type w setup, it can set up in your face then max guard on the Future Sight. Fighting type w Lum Berry? Free setup.
Overall, I've hardly run into situations where Future Sight has been effectively used against me. If someone uses it, I can either set up on it or benefit from not taking damage t1 while getting my turn in, then send in something to absorb it t3. In the latter scenario, my T1 becomes more valuable than theirs. T1, I do something and they set up a move for the future. T2, we both do something. T3, I send in something that I know will do well against Future Sight, because I know it's coming (or I choose a move that responds well to Future Sight), and they do something. I get a full turn T1, but their turn in T1 is often diminished because I can respond to it with certainty, as well as retaining whatever choice I make T1. If they had clicked Psychic/Psyshock T1, I would receive full damage. Even if I switch T1, they have a greater advantage here because they their turn T1 is not as likely to be diminished. In situation 1, the one on the receiving end of Future Sight receives 3 full turns. The person using Future Sight receives 2 turns, and a turn that is more likely to be diminished since the other person knows "Psychic move guaranteed incoming." If the person simply had Psychic/Psyshock in a useful situation t1, then you're thinking "worst-case scenario: they will spread status or deal damage with Psychic this turn." You're not thinking, "worst-case scenario: they will spread status or deliver a psychic type move on t3," in which case you can use t1 more freely, which is useful if you have something that can take advantage of no-Psychic move t1/t2. Ex. maybe they're using it on my Qwilfish, and I can now set up two laters of spikes before switching.
And while you do have to account for the possibility that Slowking has Psyshock/Psychic instead of Future Sight, scouting can reveal this. And, again, it is detrimental in 1v1 situations where immediate damage is more useful.
And I do see how you can flip that on its head, and T3 send in something that will have an advantage against whatever is sent in to respond to Future Sight. But due to the randomness of the format, I have yet to encounter that situation (except, maybe, one time out of multiple).

I feel like I'm explaining this poorly, but yeah. I'll definitely mess around with it more, and maybe I'll find it more useful in terms of baiting switches in the future.

I edited that as you responded. I'm just saying, Future Sight diminishes Slowking's ability to function as an individual mon. If it's up against something where Psychic coverage is useful, and it has Future Sight, it becomes easier to play around.
Not to mention, if you're up against a poison type w setup, it can set up in your face then max guard on the Future Sight. Fighting type w Lum Berry? Free setup.
Overall, I've hardly run into situations where Future Sight has been effectively used against me. If someone uses it, I can either set up on it or benefit from not taking damage t1 while getting my turn in, then send in something to absorb it t3. In the latter scenario, my T1 becomes more valuable than theirs. T1, I do something and they set up a move for the future. T2, we both do something. T3, I send in something that I know will do well against Future Sight, because I know it's coming (or I choose a move that responds well to Future Sight), and they do something. I get a full turn T1, but their turn in T1 is often diminished because I can respond to it with certainty, as well as retaining whatever choice I make T1. If they had clicked Psychic/Psyshock T1, I would receive full damage. Even if I switch T1, they have a greater advantage here because they their turn T1 is not as likely to be diminished. In situation 1, the one on the receiving end of Future Sight receives 3 full turns. The person using Future Sight receives 2 turns, and a turn that is more likely to be diminished since the other person knows "Psychic move guaranteed incoming." If the person simply had Psychic/Psyshock in a useful situation t1, then you're thinking "worst-case scenario: they will spread status or deal damage with Psychic this turn." You're not thinking, "worst-case scenario: they will spread status or deliver a psychic type move on t3," in which case you can use t1 more freely, which is useful if you have something that can take advantage of no-Psychic move t1/t2. Ex. maybe they're using it on my Qwilfish, and I can now set up two laters of spikes before switching.
And while you do have to account for the possibility that Slowking has Psyshock/Psychic instead of Future Sight, scouting can reveal this. And, again, it is detrimental in 1v1 situations where immediate damage is more useful.
And I do see how you can flip that on its head, and T3 send in something that will have an advantage against whatever is sent in to respond to Future Sight. But due to the randomness of the format, I have yet to encounter that situation (except, maybe, one time out of multiple).

I feel like I'm explaining this poorly, but yeah. I'll definitely mess around with it more, and maybe I'll find it more useful in terms of baiting switches in the future.
Sure immediate damage can be useful in some situations, but future sight is a move that is based on opportunity cost vs real damage. Future sight is there to give you an option, after all if you feel like it isnt worth it then click scald or twave. Also it seems to me that you havnt been using future sight right, you should only use future sight on free turns(ie turns where you force a mon out) and then you can use it to abuse. If you want to use the flygon example, slowking uses sight, on switch in. If flygon sets up, the bulky mon that is switched in to take a hit will be able to kill it or heavily damage the switch in. Like for instance we say bulu comes in on flygon, flygon sets up and is forced out, but whatever is coming in is going to have to eat future sight + a bulu attack or an sd. Most steel types still take around 20% from a future which bulu can then take advantage of the chip taken. Future sight just turns free turns into opportunity, its not supposed to be an op win all games tool. You have to know when to use it and what to pair it with. Also, future sight will deter most mons from setting up, not encourage it. If they dmax to stop future sight, thats a turn burned. Its often never worth it do do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)