Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
life orb conk is seriously bad. like, switching into a will-o or scald is a fun meme, yes, but it's extremely unreliable and in every other situation you have a significant damage cut with extra chip damage to boot, all for little reason. i guess not having to activate the orb is a somewhat legitimate argument for its viability?
life orb conkeldurr is not being removed under any circumstances because the primary developer prefers the set over flame orb

Am I the only one who hates AV Magnezone with Mirror Coat?

I feel like leftovers or air balloon with one of toxic/t-wave/sub would be much more useful. Hell, I'd even prefer tri-attack, as bad as it is, to allow specs/scarf lol.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Am I the only one who hates AV Magnezone with Mirror Coat?

I feel like leftovers or air balloon with one of toxic/t-wave/sub would be much more useful. Hell, I'd even prefer tri-attack, as bad as it is, to allow specs/scarf lol.
Scarf Body Press Magnezone exists currently! The AV set's just more common. Also, I've found it quite useful at trapping some of the more specially offensive steels like Dialga more easily and performing well as a special tank on teams w/o steels.

Scarf Body Press Magnezone exists currently! The AV set's just more common. Also, I've found it quite useful at trapping some of the more specially offensive steels like Dialga more easily and performing well as a special tank on teams w/o steels.
Oh, didn't know it's going to get BP. I don't necessarily mind AV, it's more about mirror coat if anything. It can be of use in some situations, but I just feel there are more reliable options possible for it. Regarding trapping specially offensive steel types that it could potentially KO with mirror coat, is there really any outside of Dialga (assuming it carries Fire Blast) and Heatran? Duraludon carries BP so I'm not including it. Aegislash can be mixed and carry CC, so it's a dice roll.

I just realised that Kingdra gets Hurricane in Random Battles even though it does not legitimately learn Hurricane as can be seen from Teambuilder.
1588065610503.png

1588065677831.png

This is good for Kingdra as it can further abuse rain in Randoms, which it can easily summon by itself using Max Geyser when Dynamaxed. Just wondering whether Hurricane was intended to be added into its moveset and whether it will or will not be made legal in National Dex Battles.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if this is the sort of post that's allowed in here, but I just had a loss in randbats because I didn't have a single Super Effective move on Shedinja. I'm not sure if this an extreme edge case or if that a fix for this wouldn't be worth taking the time, but it's the worst thing to ever happen to me. Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1107767691

No Fire Blast on Octillery or Slowbro, No Darkest Lariat on Bewear, No Dark-type move on Lucario, Melmetal was sub/double iron bash/thunder punch/earthquake
randbatsshed.png

I'm not sure if this is the sort of post that's allowed in here, but I just had a loss in randbats because I didn't have a single Super Effective move on Shedinja. I'm not sure if this an extreme edge case or if that a fix for this wouldn't be worth taking the time, but it's the worst thing to ever happen to me. Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1107767691

No Fire Blast on Octillery or Slowbro, No Darkest Lariat on Bewear, No Dark-type move on Lucario, Melmetal was sub/double iron bash/thunder punch/earthquake
View attachment 242216
It's indeed an extreme case that is so, so unlikely to happen that it doesn't warrant a specific fix IMO. I'd say in probably over 99.9% of the time, teams will at least have a couple options to take Shed out (SE moves, leech seed, sandstorm/hail, will-o-wisp/toxic, iron barb/rough skin, neutralizing gas, mold breaker and its variants, magic bounce for when Shedinja uses will-o-wisp, with some luck effect spore or flame body, and hazards when Shed isn't holding HDB). So yeah, just really, really bad luck on the draw.

Hello I am a ps player. I was wondering if it would be possible to make it so that people are able to choose who they want to start the game in a randbats match. Personally, it's frustrating to lose against a person because their opening character can use something like shell smash and completely dominate your team, even if you know that they are going to do it. At the same time, I know it's randbats, and that randomness is a defining factor of these games, but if other people also want this type of feature I think it would be a good addition.

I prefer CM Swoobat to Nasty Plot, but if it's gonna lose CM as an option it should 100% lose roost. Almost every neutral hit 2hkoes it, and without CM it can't prevent that.

Tinted lens butterfree is not competitively viable. Compound eyes grants you hurricane, a much stronger version of air slash, and sleep powder. SLeep powder allows your butterfree to set up without it you cannot set up. Tinted lens allows you to do more damage if you can set up, but butterfree will die by then. It is much easier to put monsters to sleep- selectively waiting for a threat to enter then put it to sleep with 98% accuracy. Yeah tinted lens allows you to do damage but at the cost of gaining a 75% dmg output move over a 110??

I prefer CM Swoobat to Nasty Plot, but if it's gonna lose CM as an option it should 100% lose roost. Almost every neutral hit 2hkoes it, and without CM it can't prevent that.
Shadows is right- CM is better, but if it does lose CM it should lose roost since it cannot tank over 50% dmg from most mons if it doesnt have the cm boost

Just posting here because I was pissed off that I got a Guts Life Orb Conkeldurr. I mean, if you're gonna do that, at least give it Iron Fist.

Just posting here because I was pissed off that I got a Guts Life Orb Conkeldurr. I mean, if you're gonna do that, at least give it Iron Fist.
Welcome to the club, pal.
I recently got a Conkeldurr with Guts and a Life Orb; Flame Orb is so much better since it has less recoil, protects from other status, and if I recall correctly, gives a stronger power boost with Guts too?
Just got one of these too, while hilarious if you get burned, the damage from Flame Orb is greater, has less recoil, and opens up trick as a counterplay.
Is life orb guts supposed to be a thing?

Because I just got a lo guts conk with mach punch/drain punch/knock off/bulk up.
- every time i see life orb conkeldurr i want to delete this world, why isn't guts + flame orb like a 100% drop rate

Pokemon which always have heavy-duty boots should not have 80 HP EVs in order to take less stealth rock damage. I don't know if this is actually the right place to post this, but I don't think there's a better thread to ask about these sorts of changes.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Swoobat still has cm roost. It is hardcoded to either be cm roost stored power leftovers or nasty plot 3 attacks life orb. The randbats command does not reflect this because it is Wacky Coding Shenanigans not detected by the command's simple algorithm.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Is there a reason Zygarde has Earthquake > Thousand Arrows? TA doesn't appear on the snapped moves list afaik.

Screenshot_20200527-090620_Chrome.jpg

Is there a reason Zygarde has Earthquake > Thousand Arrows? TA doesn't appear on the snapped moves list afaik.

Thousand Arrows is an unclickable move in gen 8; it doesn't work.

I know Zygarde itself doesn't "work" in gen 8, but we know it's coming in the DLC, while we don't know if moves are coming back. If it changes with the DLC, Random Battle will be updated accordingly.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Just got a Dracovish with Sand Rush as ability.. I get that it was paired with a Sand Stream Pokemon but really, there's very few situations where I'd prefer that to the 50% boost from Strong Jaw.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Just got a Dracovish with Sand Rush as ability.. I get that it was paired with a Sand Stream Pokemon but really, there's very few situations where I'd prefer that to the 50% boost from Strong Jaw.
This is a known issue but it's rare enough and difficult enough to fix that it's not going to be changed, unfortunately

I dont know if this was reported already or it would fall into the same situation as the dracovish situation a bit above this, but azumarill's set of perish song should be sap sipper over huge power
Seconding this. In fact, shouldn't Huge Power be automatically rejected if the set has no physical moves? In cases like this, all it does is increase the damage you take from confusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)