Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we give regieleki repid spin? I mean it has like very few moves and we don't give him one of the most useful moves in randbats? Rapid spin is very very useful in a meta when hazard can destroy you easily
Do this but also get rid of normal gem and give it magnet for even stronger stabs

On behalf of a rands user who doesn’t have a smogon account, I’ve been asked to relay this suggestion:

currently arctozolt runs either Thunder Wave, or four attacks AV with stomping tantrum. Their suggestion is Bulldoze over Stomping Tantrum to allow for speed control on the av set as well.

This allows for more situations for Arctozolt to take advantage of the Bolt Beak power boost when moving first.

Last edited:
On behalf of a rands user who doesn’t have a smogon account, I’ve been asked to relay this suggestion:

currently arctozolt runs either Thunder Wave, or four attacks AV with stomping tantrum. Their suggestion is Bulldoze over Stomping Tantrum to allow for speed control on the av set as well.

This allows for more situations for Arctozolt to take advantage of the Bolt Beak power boost when moving first.
That works in theory but doesn't actually work in practice. It ran Bulldoze in the first few months of gen 8 and it was proven to be useless. You deal 10% damage to something and lower their Speed by 1. It's a waste of a moveslot as it's never actually a good choice to click.

I'm back once again to suggest a set for a really bad mon, because they need the love to.

Spiritomb is an overwhelmingly underwhelming Pokemon. It has always felt awkward in randbats, particularly the Calm Mind, Dark Pulse, Shadow Sneak set.

With spiritomb having equal attack/special attack at 92 what would be the issue with it going physical with a better move pool since calm mind set up rarely happens outside of the Restalk set anyway?

Poltergeist, Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, Will-o seems like a better move set overall for the role that Spiritomb would want to fill.

At the very least consider possibly adding Poltergeist and Sucker to the pool, as they are very good moves already and would add to the worth of this mon.

I’d like for dragon dance steelix to be removed, the mon is way too slow to get anything off the + speed needing more than 3 to outspeed common mons, i think a more defensive set with toxic and body press to go off the 200 base defense would fit steelix better

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I’d like for dragon dance steelix to be removed, the mon is way too slow to get anything off the + speed needing more than 3 to outspeed common mons, i think a more defensive set with toxic and body press to go off the 200 base defense would fit steelix better
Not happening. TI likes it and it puts in enough work.

I really think the Necrozma-Dusk Mane set with Weakness Policy and Dragon Dance, Sunsteel Strike, Earthquake and Morning Sun is unhealthy and totally unbalanced. I have played about 3000 games in Random Battles (alt: Af_Tsunayoshi) and this set has almost 0 counterplay. If you end up having this pokemon in the team and you save your Dynamax for it, you have won. Why this set is broken in my opinion: if you put in Necrozma-Dusk Mane and the enemy has a disadvantage in type, you have a basically free Dragon Dance. This is fine, as it should be for like any other sweeper that needs to setup. The problem is that when you send in your counter, Necrozma can Dynamax and double its already high HP stats, gaining huge bulkiness and, in addition to that, you have access to Max Steelspike or Max Quake, boosting your defense or special defense depending on the enemy pokemon and being able to resist better to their attacks. AND, in addition to this, it has weakness policy: in order to do a decent chunk of damage on this pokemon, you have to hit it with a supereffective move, but often this isn't enough and you end up facing a Pokemon with +3 Atk, +1 Spe, and +1 Def/SpDef. You can't either stall out its Dynamax, because it will end up having your team decimated and him gaining more defense boosts, that will allow it to easily recover up after the end of the Dynamax thanks to morning sun.
This set needs to be changed: remove WP and give him leftovers, it will be A LOT more balanced.

Sorry for English guys, it's not my native language.

Last edited:
I really think the Necrozma-Dusk Mane set with Weakness Policy and Dragon Dance, Sunsteel Strike, Earthquake and Morning Sun is unhealthy and totally unbalanced. I have played about 3000 games in Random Battles (alt: Af_Tsunayoshi) and this set has almost 0 counterplay. If you end up having this pokemon in the team and you save your Dynamax for it, you have won. Why this set is broken in my opinion: if you put in Necrozma-Dusk Mane and the enemy has a disadvantage in type, you have a basically free Dragon Dance. This is fine, as it should be for like any other sweeper that needs to setup. The problem is that when you send in your counter, Necrozma can Dynamax and double its already high HP stats, gaining huge bulkiness and, in addition to that, you have access to Max Steelspike or Max Quake, boosting your defense or special defense depending on the enemy pokemon and being able to resist better to their attacks. AND, in addition to this, it has weakness policy: in order to do a decent chunk of damage on this pokemon, you have to hit it with a supereffective move, but often this isn't enough and you end up facing a Pokemon with +3 Atk, +1 Spe, and +1 Def/SpDef. You can't either stall out its Dynamax, because it will end up having your team decimated and him gaining more defense boosts, that will allow it to easily recover up after the end of the Dynamax thanks to morning sun.
This set needs to be changed: remove WP and give him leftovers, it will be A LOT more balanced.

Sorry for English guys, it's not my native language.
Hi! It is the opinion of a number of high level players that Necrzoma-Dusk Mane is far from broken and as such will not be nerfed in anyway.

My tip is not switching out unless you have like Prankster Wisp/TWave or something that can tank a hit and status it. I tend to Dynamax in front of it and hit it with a powerful move while it Dragon Dances, and then likely killing it even if it Dynamaxes the next turn. It is quite manageable from my experience and I personally don't even rate it that highly in Random Battle because it is very difficult to setup unlike Nasty Plot or Shell Smash users that don't require the opponent to trigger its item to make it a threat.

Hi! It is the opinion of a number of high level players that Necrzoma-Dusk Mane is far from broken and as such will not be nerfed in anyway.

My tip is not switching out unless you have like Prankster Wisp/TWave or something that can tank a hit and status it. I tend to Dynamax in front of it and hit it with a powerful move while it Dragon Dances, and then likely killing it even if it Dynamaxes the next turn. It is quite manageable from my experience and I personally don't even rate it that highly in Random Battle because it is very difficult to setup unlike Nasty Plot or Shell Smash users that don't require the opponent to trigger its item to make it a threat.
I've tried different strategies over time, and what you are saying it's true if it starts DDing in front a pokemon that can effectively hit him, like a really good water type mon that can indeed do massive damage to him (without activating WP). It's not always the case tho, like for example if you have an ice type like Cryogonal who can't absolutely touch him, or Pokémon that have received in the past turns a drop in the offensive stats (because it will turn in a wasted Dynamax). Moreover, you are saying that not considering the fact that a Dynamax could have already be used to try to limit the offensive power of another pokemon in the enemy team that could have, otherwise, swept yours.
I don't want to come across as presumptuous, but I'm kinda stable around 2250-2300 in RB ladder, so I'm not complaining just because I got swept in my last game or whatever. It's part of Random Battle having sometimes a good team and sometimes not, but after my experience, I really think this Pokémon is not fair, because its ability to change a game by itself often doesn't depend on the state of the game, but just because of this set.

Colteor

Free old gens in WCOP
is a Pre-Contributor
RoAPL Champion
Is there a thread for old gens set discussion or is it just this gen and S/M?

Colteor

Free old gens in WCOP
is a Pre-Contributor
RoAPL Champion
Any chance for kasib berry (ghost resist) on calyrex shadow? It's already stupid strong at +2 and this would let it take shadow sneak or random ghost moves from something it doesnt OHKO without needing to dmax. Not an expert so I'm asking because I'm not sure if a different item gives it more benefits.

I think Mantine is impeded by having too many attacking moves in it's movepool when its' strongest asset is as a bulky support 'mon.

The current movepool means that important moves like toxic and defog can be pushed out. I think Ice Beam is the best candidate to be removed as scald + hurricane provides Mantine with the coverage it needs to punish switch ins.

The downside of removing Ice Beam would be that it would have to rely on the inaccurate Hurricane. However, at the moment Ice Beam provides only a niche use where the opponent has the option to switch in either an electric or grass type in and you need to cover both options at least neutrally. If there are more uses, I would be happy to know them but this is the only situation that hurricane + scald doesn't 100% cover.

Any chance for kasib berry (ghost resist) on calyrex shadow? It's already stupid strong at +2 and this would let it take shadow sneak or random ghost moves from something it doesnt OHKO without needing to dmax. Not an expert so I'm asking because I'm not sure if a different item gives it more benefits.
It's fine as it is. If it's solely for mitigating Shadow Sneak damage, then it's not really worth slapping a berry on it; you're likely to Dynamax to eat the hit then proceed with Max Flutterby. Calyrex-Shadow prefers to keep Leftovers as its only means of recovery, especially when using Substitute which it uses to take advantage of favourable matchups and secure its sweep.

It's fine as it is. If it's solely for mitigating Shadow Sneak damage, then it's not really worth slapping a berry on it; you're likely to Dynamax to eat the hit then proceed with Max Flutterby. Calyrex-Shadow prefers to keep Leftovers as its only means of recovery, especially when using Substitute which it uses to take advantage of favourable matchups and secure its sweep.
it also can set psychic terrain with d-max

any chance of Wishiwashi getting Flip Turn added to its moveset in addition to or in place of U-turn, or does that run the risk of it getting hard walled by Water Absorb/Storm Drain? sorry if it's already been added, it's just not in the /randbats command so I just wanted to check

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
any chance of Wishiwashi getting Flip Turn added to its moveset in addition to or in place of U-turn, or does that run the risk of it getting hard walled by Water Absorb/Storm Drain? sorry if it's already been added, it's just not in the /randbats command so I just wanted to check
The Randbats command is always correct so don't worry about that.

However I think this is a case of too many water-type moves. U-turn provides guaranteed momentum while Flip Turn can be blocked and having too many of one type of attacking move can be detrimental.

If I was to really get technical, Flip Turn would be much easier to predict / take advantage of because you have an increased chance to use a water move.

Also Specs set would be Hydro Pump / Scald / Ice Beam / Flip Turn which certainly is too water heavy.

Last edited:
At the beginning of the thread there was a link given where the levels and movesets of the Pokémon were given, but their items were not given.
Is there any way other than playing lots of battles to know who will hold which item (I know that one Pokémon will hold one of several items provided to them.) and which moves are alternatives to each other (where more than four moves are given)?

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
At the beginning of the thread there was a link given where the levels and movesets of the Pokémon were given, but their items were not given.
Is there any way other than playing lots of battles to know who will hold which item (I know that one Pokémon will hold one of several items provided to them.) and which moves are alternatives to each other (where more than four moves are given)?
By the time being, the only way to learn that is reading the code https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-showdown/blob/master/data/random-teams.ts Searching on the code the item you are interested in is as much as we can offer you. We may be working to ease some of the item knowledge issues, but by now this is the only alternative, sorry.

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
Well the one issue is that the items a pokemon can generate can change as its movepool is also changed so there won't be a singular place where we can list them. The closest place is using the random battle calc and looking at Item Pool under the stats but it can be quite outdated but it should give a general idea of the items a pokemon could have in conjunction with what Irpa put.

Just like the Level of each Pokémon is generally increased by 2, going down every tier from OU to PU; I think those which are allowed to ZU should be of Level 90.

Just like the Level of each Pokémon is generally increased by 2, going down every tier from OU to PU; I think those which are allowed to ZU should be of Level 90.
Levels are no longer determined by tiers but are decided using win rates. Win rates will be used monthly or bi-monthly to adjust Pokémon levels, or sets, accordingly. In other words, if the data suggests a Pokémon be increased to level 90 then it shall be.

1. This is my request that Latias and Latios both should hold Soul Dew only (Latios already holds) and have Lustre Purge and Mist Ball as moves instead of Psyshock and Psychic respectively. I do not have a good reason for that. This is only to promote the use of their signature moves and exclusive items. I know this will make them worse but then their Levels should be increased.
  2. I also request that sets of Genesect holding its Drives and knowing Techno Blast should be made for the same reason.
  3. Similarly, Dialga and Palkia must hold their respective Orbs.

Last edited:

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
  1. This is my request that Latias and Latios both should hold Soul Dew only (Latios already holds) and have Lustre Purge and Mist Ball as moves instead of Psyshock and Psychic respectively. I do not have a good reason for that. This is only to make use of their signature moves and exclusive items. I know this will make them worse but then their Levels should be increased.
  2. I also request that sets of Genesect holding its Drives and knowing Techno Blast should be made for the same reason.
  3. Similarly, Dialga and Palkia must hold their respective Orbs.
Sorry, we don't nerf sets. Signature moves/items are not neccesarily the best options for certain Pokemon, and we won't be priorizing them when pondering what to give to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)