Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, we don't nerf sets. Signature moves/items are not neccesarily the best options for certain Pokemon, and we won't be priorizing them when pondering what to give to them.
I know that, but I was only requesting so that their signature moves and items would be used at least in the Random Battles (since they are not used anywhere else).

Last edited:

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
I know that but I was only requesting so that their signature moves and items would be used at least in the Randoms (since they are not used anywhere else).
Sadly that doesn't qualify as a valid reasoning; although our premise is using all available Pokemon, the objective of RandBats is not to showcase everything they can do, but make them useful in the format. And no, tampering with levels just because we want to give them suboptimal sets is not an option.

I have a suggestion that the Pokémon should also have a random Level which is as the following, in order to make it just more 'random'.
If a Pokémon is of Level x then it will be of either Level (x - 1) or x or (x + 1). For example, Rillaboom will have a random chance of getting a Level of either 79 or 80 or 81. A counter will be set to 0 which will add 1 when a Pokémon will be of Level (x + 1) and subtract 1 when a Pokémon will be of Level (x - 1). The Levels will be such that at the end of taking six Pokémon the value of the counter must be 0.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I have a suggestion that the Pokémon should also have a random Level which is as the following, in order to make it just more 'random'.
If a Pokémon is of Level x then it will be of either Level (x - 1) or x or (x + 1). For example, Rillaboom will have a random chance of getting a Level of either 79 or 80 or 81. A counter will be set to 0 which will add 1 when a Pokémon will be of Level (x + 1) and subtract 1 when a Pokémon will be of Level (x - 1). The Levels will be such that at the end of taking six Pokémon the value of the counter must be 0.
Please stop making suggestions that decrease the competitiveness of the format.

kings shield should be added to the movepool for offensive (non-cb) aegislash. it can't really make effective use of sd without it because blade forme is usually forced out after one attack. would give that set more versatility and survivability imo

Also, would love to see triage added to the ability pool for comfey. really neat ability especially with cm+draining kiss that gives it more of a niche than it currently has

kings shield should be added to the movepool for offensive (non-cb) aegislash. it can't really make effective use of sd without it because blade forme is usually forced out after one attack. would give that set more versatility and survivability imo

Also, would love to see triage added to the ability pool for comfey. really neat ability especially with cm+draining kiss that gives it more of a niche than it currently has
1) I personally don't think that Aegislash Blade's current offensive set should be interfered by Kings Shield, partially due to the fact that it was nerfed to lowering Attack stat by only -1 since Gen 8. This on top of the fact that it is ignored by status moves just makes it all the more unnecessary. There isn't as strong an incentive to need to alternate between forms and it prefers to fit in as many offensive moves as possible. It has been consistently able to roll Shadow Sneak for strong priority and Close Combat for excellent coverage. Kings Shield works best on its own in another entirely different Aegislash set which actually focuses solely on being defensive stall.

2) As mentioned before, Comfey will not run Draining Kiss as it has been decidedly too weak and fails to 1HKO a Scrafty. It will continue to run Dazzling Gleam as its standard stronger STAB move. Comfey does a fine job shutting down setup threats with Taunt and crippling them with Leech Seed.

Last edited:
Just got a Slowking-Galar with Sludge Bomb. It also had black sludge and recover (not shown).

I personally don't think a 30% chance to poison vs a 20% chance is enough to justify having Sludge Bomb over Shell Side Arm, even on a "stall" set with recover.

I don't think the following things are simply suggestions.
  1. I got a team, led by Pelipper, with most Pokémon weak to Flying-type but no one was resistant to it. So my full team got KO-ed by an opposing Swords Dance-Ninjask. I would like to know if anything can be done with it. I have also given its screenshot following.
    IMG_20201212_005717.jpg
  2. It happened two times that I got a team with four physical Pokémon, one stall, and only one Special and that too with Psyshock as its main STAB-move (i.e. actually it is more appropriate to say it physical). So a single physical wall can check all of them.
  3. On another day, I got four special Pokémon, one stall and only one physical.
Please try if the things given in 2. and 3. can also be fixed.

Last edited:

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
Just got a Slowking-Galar with Sludge Bomb. It also had black sludge and recover (not shown).

I personally don't think a 30% chance to poison vs a 20% chance is enough to justify having Sludge Bomb over Shell Side Arm, even on a "stall" set with recover.
Even with that slowking has 65 atk which isnt optimal for shell side arm

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
I don't think the following things are simply suggestions.
  1. I got a team, led by Pelipper, with most Pokémon weak to Flying-type but no one was resistant to it. So my full team got KO-ed by an opposing Swords Dance-Ninjask. I would like to know if anything can be done with it. I have also given its screenshot following.
  2. It happened two times that I got a team with four physical Pokémon, one stall, and only one Special and that too with Psyshock as its main STAB-move (i.e. actually it is more appropriate to say it physical).
This isn't really Battle Factory which would have these checks.

1. Creating teams that only have a certain number of one type while disallowing too many weaknesses of another is limiting Pokemon generation. It will cause a lot of rerolls. Edit: Also rolling to find resists also limits combinations in generating Pokemon. With that said, this would need a bit of code to do.
2. This is suboptimal but not really an issue.
3. Same as 2

1. I got a team, led by Pelipper, with most Pokémon weak to Flying-type but no one was resistant to it. So my full team got KO-ed by an opposing Swords Dance-Ninjask. I would like to know if anything can be done with it. I have also given its screenshot following.View attachment 299187
  2. It happened two times that I got a team with four physical Pokémon, one stall, and only one Special and that too with Psyshock as its main STAB-move (i.e. actually it is more appropriate to say it physical). So a single physical wall can check all of them.
4. I think Exeggutor is too unviable because if I get it then it gets KO-ed very easily without KO-ing a single of opponent's Pokémon, and if my opponent gets it then I can KO it very easily. These things have happened many times. It is even 4× weak against U-turn. Having it is almost like having only five Pokémon in a team. (I think its level may be increased.)

Last edited:

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
4. I think Exeggutor is too unviable because if I get it then it gets KO-ed very easily without KO-ing a single of opponent's Pokémon, and if my opponent gets it then I can KO it very easily. These things have happened many times. It is even 4× weak against U-turn. Having it is almost like having only five Pokémon in a team. (I think its level may be increased.)
We keep close attention to mons too weak to be good or useful and therefore "unviable" and needing a level change. Exeggutor is not one of them, and its typing is not an issue if you dont use it against mons that can get u-turn or other bug attacks. If you or your rivals are doing that, you are using it wrong.

We keep close attention to mons too weak to be good or useful and therefore "unviable" and needing a level change. Exeggutor is not one of them, and its typing is not an issue if you dont use it against mons that can get u-turn or other bug attacks. If you or your rivals are doing that, you are using it wrong.
I did not want to give stress on the move U-turn there because it has happened only once that my opponent's Exeggutor was KO-ed by U-turn used by me. The thing I wanted to say is that almost every Pokémon has at least one move which hits it super-effectively, and many of them even have STAB on that. To make it worse, its speed is too low, so it nearly always moves last, taking a hit and getting itself KO-ed. It has happened numerous times that either I or my opponents got Exeggutor, but neither I nor any of my opponents could KO even a single Pokémon by it, as much as I have seen. I think it is only viable with Chlorophyll ability in a Sun team, but that has never happened.

Last edited:

RSB

Dreaming of a shore bordering another world
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I did not want to give stress on the move U-turn there because it has happened only once that my opponent's Exeggutor was KO-ed by U-turn used by me. The thing I wanted to say is that almost every Pokémon has at least one move which hits it super-effectively, and many of them even have STAB on that. To make it worse, its speed is too low, so it nearly always moves last, taking a hit and getting itself KO-ed. It has happened numerous times that either I or my opponents got Exeggutor, but neither I nor any of my opponents could KO even a single Pokémon by it, as much as I have seen. I think it is only viable with Chlorophyll ability in a Sun team, but that has never happened.
You seem to be making the argument that every slow pokemon in rands is bad because something can hit it super effectively. You may need to take a step back and understand that slow bulky pokemon need to be used differently than offensive pokemon. When used correctly Exeggutor can be a pretty annoying mon to deal with by setting up a substitute to stall with harvest berry shenanagins or using leech seed to pressure switchs.

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
Hi!
Exeggutor is actually one of the most infuriating mons to face thanks to its current set. Bad match-ups exist, and all mons are not created equals, which means that Exeggutor will often run into a bad match-up. However, with its current SubSeed Sleep Powder set, Exeggutor will pose a threat against slower teams lacking a way of 2HKOing it, which happens fairly often.

A Chlorophyll set would unfortunately be very unviable due to Exeggutor's lack of access to Weather Ball or any form of good coverage. Sun Sweepers aren't exactly common, in fact nothing runs Sunny Day + Chlorophyll in randbats because of how underwhelming Chloropyll Sweepers are. Exeggutor is a more than decent Pokemon as it is right now.

Technician Hitmontop is garbo. It currently only gets two moves to abuse with Technician - Rapid Spin (Which definitely doesn't care for the minimum boost) and Triple Axel (which is ok, but in banded sets heavily relies on prediction). I suggest either entirely drop it or just add and drop some moves so it can differentiate itself from its brethren as a Technician attacker.

Mach Punch, Fake Out, hell, even Thief work for low-powered moves that give it coverage and also make it stand out better than its counterparts. Or simply go all out in the Intimidate set, remove Technician and Triple Axel, and give it Toxic/Spin/Close Combat/Sucker Punch/Fake Out or Mach Punch as possible moves. The way it currently works just makes me bummed out every time I get it, with it either being genuinely too frail to come into the field and do something with its support moves if it doesn't roll Intimidate, or bummed out because its only Technician-powered move is non-STAB Triple Axel.

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
Technician Hitmontop is garbo. It currently only gets two moves to abuse with Technician - Rapid Spin (Which definitely doesn't care for the minimum boost) and Triple Axel (which is ok, but in banded sets heavily relies on prediction). I suggest either entirely drop it or just add and drop some moves so it can differentiate itself from its brethren as a Technician attacker.

Mach Punch, Fake Out, hell, even Thief work for low-powered moves that give it coverage and also make it stand out better than its counterparts. Or simply go all out in the Intimidate set, remove Technician and Triple Axel, and give it Toxic/Spin/Close Combat/Sucker Punch/Fake Out or Mach Punch as possible moves. The way it currently works just makes me bummed out every time I get it, with it either being genuinely too frail to come into the field and do something with its support moves if it doesn't roll Intimidate, or bummed out because its only Technician-powered move is non-STAB Triple Axel.
I would rather some of this not happen and here is why:

That Intimidate set there is very easy to take advantage of. It lacks any coverage and Ghost Pokemon sometimes laugh at it. Poison-types as well. The Technician set allows for better coverage that can actually hit things and can also pressure the opponent. It isn't meant to be a sponge but an offensive Pokemon.

It already stands out to its counterparts, I don't get what you meant by that. The non-STAB Triple Axel point also doesn't make much sense when you realise it is as strong as Close Combat with Technician. The banded set though is suboptimal with Sucker Punch and could use Mach Punch but this made weird sets. I know sometimes it is nice to have Intimidate + Rapid Spin but that is not always wanted.

I would rather some of this not happen and here is why:

That Intimidate set there is very easy to take advantage of. It lacks any coverage and Ghost Pokemon sometimes laugh at it. Poison-types as well. The Technician set allows for better coverage that can actually hit things and can also pressure the opponent. It isn't meant to be a sponge but an offensive Pokemon.

It already stands out to its counterparts, I don't get what you meant by that. The non-STAB Triple Axel point also doesn't make much sense when you realise it is as strong as Close Combat with Technician. The banded set though is suboptimal with Sucker Punch and could use Mach Punch but this made weird sets. I know sometimes it is nice to have Intimidate + Rapid Spin but that is not always wanted.
Ghost types already laugh at Hitmontop even with Triple Axel. You make it sound impressively powerful, but that's only if it connects all its hits at a 72% chance, and also has Band/Orb behind . Overall Hitmontop is unimpressive compared to the other two, Hitmonlee is one of the most massively powerful band hitters with reckless HJK or setup sweepers with Unburden Curse, Hitmonchan can Bulk Up, Drain Punch its health back and use its fantastic coverage, and even use Assault Vest with its quite good 110 Sp Def stat and kill something with priority or spin crap away. It doesn't stand out because Hitmonlee hits far harder without needing to rely on a move that checks accuracy for every hit, and the Rapid Spin set won't always roll Intimidate - its technician attacks are also not impressive if you don't get band or life orb.

My issue is not even with Triple Axle itself, so I don't know why you picked that out of everything, my issue was with Hitmontop not having any other move to use Technician with in the banded set. Purely offensive Hitmontop would have the option between Close Combat/Mach Punch/Thief/Triple Axle. Both Thief and Triple Axle do their job of hitting mons that resist Fighting, and Fake Out would only be given to support sets/Life Orb sets - I don't even think you can roll Fake Out on band sets.

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
Ghost types already laugh at Hitmontop even with Triple Axel.
Triple axel does 40% unboosted to Dusknoir so no they don't to put it frankly.

Overall Hitmontop is unimpressive compared to the other two, Hitmonlee is one of the most massively powerful band hitters with reckless HJK or setup sweepers with Unburden Curse, Hitmonchan can Bulk Up, Drain Punch its health back and use its fantastic coverage, and even use Assault Vest with its quite good 110 Sp Def stat and kill something with priority or spin crap away. It doesn't stand out because Hitmonlee hits far harder without needing to rely on a move that checks accuracy for every hit, and the Rapid Spin set won't always roll Intimidate - its technician attacks are also not impressive if you don't get band or life orb.
Hitmontop serve different roles to these two. They should not be compared as they are made differently. Hitmontop also has different coverage like EQ to hit Poison and Triple Axel is powerful coverage compared to those others.

My issue is not even with Triple Axle itself, so I don't know why you picked that out of everything, my issue was with Hitmontop not having any other move to use Technician with in the banded set. Purely offensive Hitmontop would have the option between Close Combat/Mach Punch/Thief/Triple Axle. Both Thief and Triple Axle do their job of hitting mons that resist Fighting, and Fake Out would only be given to support sets/Life Orb sets - I don't even think you can roll Fake Out on band sets.
The reason Triple Axel is the only move used with Technician is because it is needed and Hitmontop already has plenty of coverage. Adding more moves will mess with its set. Fake Out is not good; it will cause more problems with hitting ghosts.

I will see if Hitmontop can be improved though. Maybe there is something to be done with it but adding moves for the sake of an ability isn't always the best idea.

This is the first time I ever see Sniper + Specs Inteleon. Might just be me, but I feel it's always better with Torrent when it has Specs.

queso

too cheesy
is a Tiering Contributor
at least giving salamence the option to roll dual wingbeat seems like a better option than hurricane for moxie sets, especially given that it gives a very powerful max airstream, with gyarados's bounce as precedent for this reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)