Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some considerations after the update
Remove Roost from Hawlucha. It's a really frail mon that has no business healing - either because you're balls deep into the sweep, or needed to use a turn to attack and kill whatever threatens you, or needed to setup. You can't stall out electric attacks either, because thanks to Hawlucha frailty they are 2HKO'ing most of the time anyway, or they threaten you with a crippling paralysis chance. You can make an argument for stalling rock/ice attacks, but most rock/ice mons are killed by +2 Close Combat, and those that don't have better things to do against Hawlucha - like Diancie moonblasting it, Solrock WoW or Lunatone Psychic.

Drampa is OK, but I don't know if Thunderbolt is the best 4th move in the specs set. Energy Ball hits Lanturn, Regirock, Quagsire and OHKOs 4x weak shell smash sweepers like Carracosta, Barbaracle and Omastar (and others like Drednaw and Kabutops) even through Dynamax . It also hits Diancie, Tyranitar, Gigalith and the Lunatone/Solrock duo the hardest. The only relevant targets I can think off for Thunderbolt are some flying types- which for the most part don't resist hyper voice and fire blast, unlike the list of Rock types I mentioned - and the relevant flying targets that are not hit hard by anything on Drampa's kit, yet OHKO'd by Thunderbolt are Cramorant, Aerodactyl, Gyarados, Mantine and Pelipper - which are, IMO, too small a list to warrant Thunderbolt over Energy Ball.

Last edited:
I want to make a case for leek sirfetched instead of the normal lo set. Life orb on sirfetched allows it to get better damage rolls on some mons, but the recoil of LO coupled with brave bird recoil kinda ruins sirfetched. Even when you are dynamaxed the lo recoil will cause you to die to hits you would've otherwised lived. After an SD sirfetched is often quite low, and LO just compounds the problem. Leek on the otherhand sacrifices consistensy for an insane amount of power, and its not even that inconsistent. +2 critical hit chance equals a 50% chance to deal 1.5x more damage and ignores stat boosts, which is extreamly important in a dynamax meta where defence is easily gotten through steelspike. The extra damage from a crit also allows sirfetch to crit through some dynamax mons where LO would miss the KO or in base form after the dynamax. Finally, even though you have worse rolls on the leek set, its not that bad after factoring in the critical chance. For example, if with LO its a 100% kill and with leek its an 30%, after factoring the crit chance, the odds of you ohkoing the enemy mon is 65%(Base odds of not ohkoing=70, base odds of not criting 50%, 1- .5 x .7=.65). 65% is less than 100%, but its still in your favor. These situations are rare though, and most of the time, the added damage from LO doesnt do much, and only harms sirfetched.

I want to make a case for leek sirfetched instead of the normal lo set. Life orb on sirfetched allows it to get better damage rolls on some mons, but the recoil of LO coupled with brave bird recoil kinda ruins sirfetched. Even when you are dynamaxed the lo recoil will cause you to die to hits you would've otherwised lived. After an SD sirfetched is often quite low, and LO just compounds the problem. Leek on the otherhand sacrifices consistensy for an insane amount of power, and its not even that inconsistent. +2 critical hit chance equals a 50% chance to deal 1.5x more damage and ignores stat boosts, which is extreamly important in a dynamax meta where defence is easily gotten through steelspike. The extra damage from a crit also allows sirfetch to crit through some dynamax mons where LO would miss the KO or in base form after the dynamax. Finally, even though you have worse rolls on the leek set, its not that bad after factoring in the critical chance. For example, if with LO its a 100% kill and with leek its an 30%, after factoring the crit chance, the odds of you ohkoing the enemy mon is 65%(Base odds of not ohkoing=70, base odds of not criting 50%, 1- .5 x .7=.65). 65% is less than 100%, but its still in your favor. These situations are rare though, and most of the time, the added damage from LO doesnt do much, and only harms sirfetched.
Life Orb provides far more consistent damage output and I would very much disagree that recoil ruins it. It is an offensive Pokemon and a good Dynamaxer to boot; lowering its chances of getting kills is not worth the niche situation of sometimes bypassing Max Steelspike boosts. Life Orb is the optimal item on Farfetch'd as well but it would roll Heavy-Duty Boots if Leek were removed (as seen previously) which is why it still has Leek. This suggestion will not be implemented.

Not sure if the code would like this with outrage but i would love if zygarde-50% could roll items other than lum berry. sub+dd is kinda dead weight most of the time because it's really weak even after 2 dds and it's bulk is kind of wasted since it has no recovery at all. lefties would go a long way helping it set up.

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
Not sure if the code would like this with outrage but i would love if zygarde-50% could roll items other than lum berry. sub+dd is kinda dead weight most of the time because it's really weak even after 2 dds and it's bulk is kind of wasted since it has no recovery at all. lefties would go a long way helping it set up.
I can kind of agree with this. Also it isn't the hardest to do in code, just make substitute not roll lum berry. Zekrom is affected by this but I would much prefer Roost on that tbh.

Zygarde-10% also already runs Outrage without Lum

Can we have an armaldo set that can have a water move (likely liquidation and/or aqua jet)? It can have swift swim for the possibility of the opponent setting rain, but it certainly is not guaranteed. And even though most types weak to water are covered by ground (bsides ground itself), it would still be a nice addition. Liquidation would be nice for a powerful max geyser, and outside of max would be nice for any extra defense drops to make it break things even harder when paired with swords dance. And ajet would be nice for revenge killing. Yes it wont be the fastest mon with base 45 speed, but it would be nice.

Last edited:
Can Escavalier be changed from having both SD and Band sets to having just Band? Setup is just really bad on it since it's so slow and fire-type attacks aren't rare. The way you play this knight in shining armor is have him come in on something that can't touch him, bop the switch-in for stupid big damage, then get out before you get outsped and killed. That playstyle is way better suited to Band than SD. I have seen SD Escavalier setup then kill 2-3 mons because they couldn't 2HKO it, but Band would have done just as well on those occasions, and it doesn't have to waste a turn (almost surely taking damage in the process) on setup.

Clementine

one for the money, two for the show
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
UUPL Champion
Can Escavalier be changed from having both SD and Band sets to having just Band? Setup is just really bad on it since it's so slow and fire-type attacks aren't rare. The way you play this knight in shining armor is have him come in on something that can't touch him, bop the switch-in for stupid big damage, then get out before you get outsped and killed. That playstyle is way better suited to Band than SD. I have seen SD Escavalier setup then kill 2-3 mons because they couldn't 2HKO it, but Band would have done just as well on those occasions, and it doesn't have to waste a turn (almost surely taking damage in the process) on setup.
I think SD Escavalier is phenomenal, it gets a lot of opportunities to set-up a Swords Dance against frailer and defensive Pokemon, and is a surprisingly good user of Dynamax after a Swords Dance boost. On the other hand, while I like myself some good slow breakers with immediate power, I think CB Escavalier is a little bit worse than the SD set simply because it's Choice Locked, and relies heavily on good predictions to function, especially against better players.

Can there be no Lugia sets that get walled by dark types? View attachment 315087
Got this set as my first mon against an Absol... Idk I think it's pretty bad and could use Aeroblast/Toxic/Something I could use to not give the Absol a free SD
Lugia as a whole is very bad and I don't know what can be done to properly fix it. It needs all the power it gets, but Aeroblast has very low PP which ironically makes it very easy to stall it out. Having such a low level means that Air Slash doesn't hit anything at all and you need to rely on lucky flinches, and you already highlighted the issue with mono-Psychic coverage. I just can't think of any time where Lugia was actually worth the spot on my team, and I have actually gotten it to +6 plenty of times only to realize I don't have enough PP to sweep.

Maybe just remove the calm mind sets and make it a toxic stall mon? It already gets rekt by steel types anyway.

Some stuff that came up with the update or some random bugs

- There's a chance that non-Roost Lugia generates, which of course makes the mon even more useless
- Water Absorb Seismitoad now has a chance to generate Rain Dance, which is really counter-intuitive
- Glare is a fantastic move - not so much in Heliolisk. For that matter, Leftovers in Heliolisk is... ok I guess, if kind of meh. It's already really frail so I can't see what Leftovers helps with - I can see the argument for Dry Skin healing + Lefties, which would heal 1/3 of health every turn, but this requires you to use dynamax or have a partner that setups rain. If there's need to give Heliolisk an item other than Choice Specs, I suggest Heavy Duty Boots. This would allow it to ignore hazard damage - which really stacks up when spamming Volt Switch -, make it immune to sticky Web and also allow it to bluff Specs for an added level of depth.

Some stuff that came up with the update or some random bugs

- There's a chance that non-Roost Lugia generates, which of course makes the mon even more useless
- Water Absorb Seismitoad now has a chance to generate Rain Dance, which is really counter-intuitive
- Glare is a fantastic move - not so much in Heliolisk. For that matter, Leftovers in Heliolisk is... ok I guess, if kind of meh. It's already really frail so I can't see what Leftovers helps with - I can see the argument for Dry Skin healing + Lefties, which would heal 1/3 of health every turn, but this requires you to use dynamax or have a partner that setups rain. If there's need to give Heliolisk an item other than Choice Specs, I suggest Heavy Duty Boots. This would allow it to ignore hazard damage - which really stacks up when spamming Volt Switch -, make it immune to sticky Web and also allow it to bluff Specs for an added level of depth.
Glare is an amazing move on heliolisk. Its ground types tend to hard wall heliolisk and with good prediction, you can hit them with a crippling paralysis. Instead of doing like 10% with hyper voice, glare can shut them down for a majority of the match. Not to mention glare is a great support move just in case your heliolisk wont be doing anything. Glare is always helpful. Its not like much coverage is dropped anyway.

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
- Glare is a fantastic move - not so much in Heliolisk. For that matter, Leftovers in Heliolisk is... ok I guess, if kind of meh. It's already really frail so I can't see what Leftovers helps with - I can see the argument for Dry Skin healing + Lefties, which would heal 1/3 of health every turn, but this requires you to use dynamax or have a partner that setups rain. If there's need to give Heliolisk an item other than Choice Specs, I suggest Heavy Duty Boots. This would allow it to ignore hazard damage - which really stacks up when spamming Volt Switch -, make it immune to sticky Web and also allow it to bluff Specs for an added level of depth
Heliolisk should not get Leftovers even with Glare, it should get Life Orb. This should only occur if it has 2 status moves.

You can keep reporting bugs, these are helpful.

Let’s see, some other stuff that should be added. Specs/Scarf lele/fini is a set that should be included. Specs lele offers an obscene amount of immediate power than can blast through every mon. Specs psychic 2hko every non resist, and moonblast + fblast blows every resist away. Psyshock is there to tear through bliss, making this so much better than lo lele, which speed tier hinders is 99% of the time. Scarf lele sacrifices power for a very solid speed tier, and psychic still chunks the enemy hard. Specs/scarf fini follows the same logic, and would be a great addition to fini. Scarf/specs fini with trick has an open move slot that can be used either for defog or some other filler move.

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
Scarf/Specs lele is already being added and we will have to see on Specs/Scarf fini. I personally dont like the idea but it has its perks.

I suggest removing shadow bone in favor of poltiergeist. Shadow bone is so much weaker than poltergeist, and misses so often on 2hkos and ohkos. I get that its not as accurate, but its so much stronger. 30bp stronger is a whopping 37.5% stronger, while only losing 10% accuracy. Its just not worth the accuracy imo.

Can Type: Null always have Sleep Talk if it has Rest? Without Sleep Talk or Lum Berry Rest is pretty bad but Type: Null needs Eviolite.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Can Type: Null always have Sleep Talk if it has Rest? Without Sleep Talk or Lum Berry Rest is pretty bad but Type: Null needs Eviolite.
no. type null is bulky to the point that it can truly handle not having sleep talk, and payback (the moved that sometimes generates over sleep talk) is necessary on the set in order to not always be walled by ghosts like Dubwool. There are no other viable options and not having sleep talk sometimes is both intentional and functional.

Dark pulse should be used over shadow ball if shadow ball is just being used for coverage because it lowers spdef when dynamaxed. Relevant mons affected are meowstic-f, porygon-z, gothitelle and beheeyem

Can randbats sharpedo have the option of learning either liquidation/hydro pump? Given its attack is much higher than it's special attack liquidation would be a lot more useful in rands.

Can randbats sharpedo have the option of learning either liquidation/hydro pump? Given its attack is much higher than it's special attack liquidation would be a lot more useful in rands.
Actually, hydro pump does more. Without evs, hydro pump is 29.4% stronger than liquidation, while sharks physical attack is only 26.3% higher. Hydro is just better, and being mixed isn't inherently a bad thing.

Some proof. Glalie has the same physdef and spedef.

Lvl 82 84 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. Lvl 80 84 HP / 84 SpD Glalie: 146-173 (56.3 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lvl 82 84 Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Liquidation vs. Lvl 80 84 HP / 84 Def Glalie: 136-161 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Actually, hydro pump does more. Without evs, hydro pump is 29.4% stronger than liquidation, while sharks physical attack is only 26.3% higher. Hydro is just better, and being mixed isn't inherently a bad thing.

Some proof. Glalie has the same physdef and spedef.

Lvl 82 84 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. Lvl 80 84 HP / 84 SpD Glalie: 146-173 (56.3 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lvl 82 84 Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Liquidation vs. Lvl 80 84 HP / 84 Def Glalie: 136-161 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
But factoring in accuracy and defense drops, liquidation will do more on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)