Research Pokemon that lost their moves

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Dialga, Palkia and Giratina all had Heal Block through Level Up in Diamond and Pearl but lost it from Platinum onwards.
Minor nitpick (and a very late one at that), but Dialga/Palkia/Giratina could still learn Heal Block in Platinum. It wasn't until HGSS when the move disappeared from their movepools.

The following Pokemon could learn Pay Day in Generation I via TM
Pikachu
Raichu
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Psyduck
Golduck
Mankey
Primeape
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Seel
Dewgong
Rhydon
Snorlax

ORAS
At level 50, Treeko learns Energy Ball, but Grovile and Sceptile doesn't learn it by leveling up.

At Level 43, Torchic learns Flamethrower but Combusken and Blaziken doesn't learn it leveling up.

I actually thought it was hilarious that Alakazam used to be able to learn Dig in Gen 2.

Does anyone else miss the ability to each almost any Pokemon Curse? Curse Ho-oh, Curse Lugia, Curse everything...Generation 2 was so much fun...

I want Wish Blissey/Chansey to no longer be event only. ;_;

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
A lot of Pokemon learns moves that their evolutions don't
Well that's on purpose, its to encourage you to use the weaker Pokemon for a longer period for a better reward at the end (at least in theory, only a few Pokemon hae moves worth doing that for). It's also why pre-evolutions learn moves faster than their evolutions.

Arceus could learn Dive through Platinum/HGSS tutors, but lost the ability to learn it ever since through Gen 5/ORAS tutors.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Recently many Pokemon have gotten back their moves lost from Gens 1-2 from the VC versions, as they can be transfered to Gen 7. However, they still cannot legally obtain those moves in Gens 3-6, and certain examples like the NYPC Events remain lost to time.
Wow, last post before being necroposted was 2015?

Like, I guess you have a fair point about the VGC games (and Let's Go) bringing back old moves to certain Pokemon. And heck with Dexit & Movexit there's probably even more to talk about now so it's not so bad that this thread topic was revived. So while I'll give you a like for now, I do I have to ask you this: what made you decide to post in this thread? How did you even find it? You'd have to go back many pages via the main Orange Island board.

Well since this is back the new wrinkle is, not just the culling of moves, but the weird recurring bit of "Pokemon that could normally learn moves in gens 4-7 but for some reason cannot now". Rowlett & Natu lines can no longer get Haze as an egg move despite both being in the game since day 1 and Haze still being in the game; ostensibly this is because Zubat & Murkrow weren't in the game but Zubat was added in CT but the egg move listing was not updated. Conversely, Krabby lost the move entirely despite learning it since gen 2 & Cursola learning the move AND being in Water 3
SWSH has a surprising number of these and not all of them tied to moves being haphazardly made signature again (see: even when Greninja & Vivillon are added back I do not see Mat Block (which IS fully functional in the game) & Powder (which is not) going to Throh & Ribombee).

Gangsta Spongebob

"Mama I'm a Criminal" - Badass Smoking Caterpillar
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Wow, last post before being necroposted was 2015?

Like, I guess you have a fair point about the VGC games (and Let's Go) bringing back old moves to certain Pokemon. And heck with Dexit & Movexit there's probably even more to talk about now so it's not so bad that this thread topic was revived. So while I'll give you a like for now, I do I have to ask you this: what made you decide to post in this thread? How did you even find it? You'd have to go back many pages via the main Orange Island board.
I was researching about moves Pokemon have lost, and found this thread from Google. I added the post in case anyone else with similar questions came here and didn't know that VC gave back a lot of the missing moves.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but the Sinnoh Dragons learned Heal Block in DP at Lv. 50 but in Platinum onwards they no longer have Heat Block as part of their moveset.
In the same vein, Regigigas learnt Mega Punch, Stomp and Superpower by levelup in DP, that got replaced with Dizzy Punch, Foresight and Revenge in Platinum. The compatibility with the tutor and TR for Superpower remained in future games, though. With Dizzy Punch and Foresight removed in SwSh, guess which levelup moves returned for Regigigas? Stomp and Mega Punch.

Well since this is back the new wrinkle is, not just the culling of moves, but the weird recurring bit of "Pokemon that could normally learn moves in gens 4-7 but for some reason cannot now". Rowlett & Natu lines can no longer get Haze as an egg move despite both being in the game since day 1 and Haze still being in the game; ostensibly this is because Zubat & Murkrow weren't in the game but Zubat was added in CT but the egg move listing was not updated. Conversely, Krabby lost the move entirely despite learning it since gen 2 & Cursola learning the move AND being in Water 3
SWSH has a surprising number of these and not all of them tied to moves being haphazardly made signature again (see: even when Greninja & Vivillon are added back I do not see Mat Block (which IS fully functional in the game) & Powder (which is not) going to Throh & Ribombee).
Tentacool and Tentacruel lost Acid Spray, and no other Pokémon in their group (Water 3) can learn it in any generation. Ironically, Tentacruel gained this move in GO more than one year before losing it in SwSh. There's also Swirlix and Cleffa losing Belly Drum, due to Poliwag and Marill, which are required for the breeding chain, not available before IoA.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Apologies for necro-ing an old thread, but was doing some poking around earlier looking at what learns what and got curious about the special moves from XD - namely, how many of them are still special, since several of the species that learn them have since regained access to them as regular moves.

Hopefully someone else finds this of interest... hmm, how to format this? ...right, knocked up a table. That'll do.

PokemonMoveObtainable later?
ButterfreeMorning SunNo
BeedrillBaton PassNo
PidgeottoRefreshNo
RaticateRefreshNo
SpearowBaton PassNo
ArbokRefreshNo
VulpixCharmNo, but Alolan Vulpix can learn it
ParasRefreshNo
VenomothRefreshNo
DugtrioCharmYes, by TM in SwSh
MeowthSingYes, by event
GolduckCharmNo
PrimeapeHelping HandYes, by TM in LGPE
GrowlitheCharmYes, by TM in ScVi
PoliwrathHelping HandYes, by move tutor in Plat
WeepinbellMorning SunNo
RapidashBaton PassYes, by TM in SwSh
MagnetonRefreshNo
Farfetch'dBaton PassYes, by TM in SwSh
DodrioBaton PassNo
SeelHelping HandYes, by TM in LGPE
GrimerHelping HandYes, by TM in LGPE
ShellderRefreshNo
HypnoBaton PassYes, by TM in ScVi
VoltorbRefreshNo
ExeggutorRefreshNo
MarowakSingNo
HitmonleeRefreshNo
HitmonchanHelping HandYes, by move tutor in Plat
LickitungHelping HandYes, by TM in LGPE
RhydonHelping HandYes, by TM in LGPE
ChanseySweet KissYes, starting move in SwSh
TangelaMorning SunNo
KangaskhanSingNo
StarmieRefreshNo
Mr. MimeFollow MeNo
ScytherMorning SunNo
ElectabuzzFollow MeNo
MagmarFollow MeNo
PinsirHelping HandYes, by TM in LGPE
TaurosRefreshNo
LaprasHeal BellYes, move tutor in HGSS
SnorlaxRefreshNo
ArticunoHazeYes, by level in ScVi
ArticunoHeal BellNo
ArticunoExtrasensoryNo
ZapdosBaton PassYes, by TM in SwSh
ZapdosMetal SoundNo
ZapdosExtrasensoryNo
MoltresMorning SunNo
MoltresWill-O-WispYes, by TM in DPP
MoltresExtrasensoryNo
DragoniteHeal BellNo
LedybaRefreshNo
SpinarakRefreshNo
TogepiTri AttackYes, by TM in SwSh
TogepiHelping HandYes, by TM in SwSh
NatuBaton PassYes, by TM in SwSh
MareepHeal BellYes, move tutor in HGSS
PinecoRefreshNo
TeddiursaRefreshNo
MagcargoRefreshNo
SwinubCharmNo
HoundourCharmNo
LugiaFeatherdanceNo
LugiaPsycho BoostNo
PoochyenaHeal BellNo
SeedotRefreshNo
SwellowBaton PassNo
RaltsSingNo
ShroomishRefreshNo
MakuhitaRefreshNo
NosepassHelping HandNo
DelcattySweet KissNo
SableyeHelping HandYes, by TM in SwSh
MawileSingNo
ManectricRefreshNo
RoseliaSweet KissNo
GulpinSingNo
CarvanhaRefreshNo
NumelCharmYes, by TM in ScVi
AltariaHeal BellYes, move tutor in HGSS
ZangooseRefreshNo
LunatoneBaton PassYes, by TM in SwSh
SolrockBaton PassYes, by TM in SwSh
BaltoyRefreshNo
BanetteHelping HandYes, by TM in ScVi
DuskullHelping HandYes, by TM in SwSh
SnoruntSingNo
SphealCharmNo
SalamenceRefreshNo
MewFaint AttackNo
MewFake OutNo
MewHypnosisYes, by event
MewNight ShadeYes, by TM in ScVi
MewTrickYes, by tutor in Plat
MewZap CannonYes, by TM in Gen II VC titles
ChikoritaFrenzy PlantYes (evolution can)
CyndaquilBlast BurnYes (evolution can)
TotodileHydro CannonYes (evolution can)

Thoughts on the above

My big takeaway is that - considering that the vast majority of XD's added moves weren't particularly special or game-changing - it's funny how many of these remain unique to that game. Most notable is that nothing that got Refresh in XD ever got it back. It's particularly striking in the case of Teddiursa, since Ursaring's whole gameplan typically revolves around status (yes you usually want to keep that status for Quick Feet and Guts, but it just makes the absence more apparent). A few of the others, like Exeggutor, Pidgeotto, Paras, Pineco, Ledyba, Seedot, and Starmie, seem like they should get it so it's really surprising to me that they haven't at any point in the following six generations. But Refresh got Dexited in SwSh so it's moot now.

Sing not ever being learnable again is also quite interesting. It's not a particularly busted move (55% accuracy will do that to you) but I always felt that everything that got Sing in XD were things that suited its flavour really well and it leant a fun disruptive option to their movesets. Marowak and Kangaskhan are maternal Pokemon, while Snorunt, Gulpin, Ralts, Meowth, and Mawile all have the "creepy-cute" vibe. Ralts and Meowth both also have access to Hypnosis but the others weren't so lucky.

When we look at what did get their moves back, there's still some funny omissions. Curiously Nosepass is the only Pokemon not to eventually regain Helping Hand at any point; the vast majority of Pokemon who received Baton Pass as a purification move eventually got it back, though those that didn't (Beedrill, Fearow, Dodrio, and Swellow) stick out to me. Would any of those be game-breaking with it?

With Heal Bell and Charm it's a relatively even split for stuff getting it back vs not getting it back, though I do feel like if Growlithe and Dugtrio can learn Charm via TM Spheal absolutely should too. I can see why they'd be reluctant to give Dragonite and Articuno Heal Bell so fair play on that score, but poor Poochyena. It's literally a dog! People ring bells to summon dogs!

Sweet Kiss was given to three Pokemon (Delcatty, Roselia, Chansey) of which only Chansey has yet gotten it back. Hardly a loss, more a genuine surprise since it's absolutely the sort of move Skitty and Delcatty should have. You can quite easily see it being an egg move for Budew and Roselia too. I've always liked Morning Sun conceptually so I'm sad personally that nothing regains it, but Tangela and Weepinbell learn Synthesis so I doubt they miss Morning Sun too much while Scizor and Butterfree both got Roost in Gen IV. There's something to be said for the hilarity of using Scizor's most feared weather to heal 2/3 of your HP before you get roasted by a powered-up Fire move. But while Moltres obviously also gets Roost, on balance Morning Sun is a much better move for it. Amusingly Moltres did the best out of its trio overall though as it got Will-o-Wisp back a mere year later in DPP while the others had to wait generations for the moves they lost.

Then there's the really janky stuff: Electabuzz, Magmar, and Mr Mime never got Follow Me back (doubt any of them missed it), Togepi eventually regained Tri Attack in Gen VIII (no STAB now), and Mew got most of its exclusive tutor moves back though still has no access whatsoever to Fake Out or Feint Attack. The latter is no big loss, the former would probably be quite decent on it. Lugia's special moves, of course, remain exclusive to XD (I'm honestly flabbergasted FeatherDance wasn't Dexited) and the stuff of SwSh-related trivia.

1692194896298.png

Last edited:
When we look at what did get their moves back, there's still some funny omissions. Curiously Nosepass is the only Pokemon not to eventually regain Helping Hand at any point; the vast majority of Pokemon who received Baton Pass as a purification move eventually got it back, though those that didn't (Beedrill, Fearow, Dodrio, and Swellow) stick out to me. Would any of those be game-breaking with it?
To be fair on the Baton Pass ones, none of those four Pokemon are currently in a game where Baton Pass is a TM(SwSh/SV). Same with Nosepass and the Helping Hand TM(LGPE/SwSh/SV). I know the latter was a move tutor previously, but SwSh and especially SV have been a lot more generous with what gets that move.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
To be fair on the Baton Pass ones, none of those four Pokemon are currently in a game where Baton Pass is a TM(SwSh/SV). Same with Nosepass and the Helping Hand TM(LGPE/SwSh/SV). I know the latter was a move tutor previously, but SwSh and especially SV have been a lot more generous with what gets that move.
Dodrio is in ScVi, in which Baton Pass is a TM (and it's literally a runner! Definitely qualifies for learning the move) - fair point on the others, I'm not always 100% up on what's around in modern games.

I can see why Nosepass wouldn't qualify for HH, in fairness. Though with the way it's been splashed around it's hardly the least suitable candidate.

Dodrio is in ScVi, in which Baton Pass is a TM (and it's literally a runner! Definitely qualifies for learning the move) - fair point on the others, I'm not always 100% up on what's around in modern games.

I can see why Nosepass wouldn't qualify for HH, in fairness. Though with the way it's been splashed around it's hardly the least suitable candidate.
Dodrio won't be in SV until the DLC and Helping Hand was retroactively turned into a near-universal TM in Gen IX like Headbutt was in Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)