Pokkén Tournament

anyone else here main gardevoir? i've gone through my phases, but i think i'm sticking to gardevoir. was braixen, then garchomp, and now gardevoir. okay seriously, behind mega gengar, gardevoir has the absolute best synergy burst in the game. it lasts so goddamn long and her burst attack, fairy tempest, looks sick as shit and does a shitton of damage. it is annoying when you're just out of range, but besides that you're almost guaranteed to take a win back. seriously, i was at ~80 hp or so and the opponent was at ~300 and i managed to win thanks to mega gardevoir! love it. she's actually super fun in terms of combos / messing around with too. i usually open the match with calm mind + psychic then probably a magical leaf split into a dashing y, side y, forward y, and that combination gets us into dual phase where a low future sight -> calm mind + psychic -> grab is almost guaranteed because the psychic sucks the pokemon in, and future sigh hits around the same time, then they're stunned and you can grab. future sight is actually not that bad. it's a great anti-air and even makes pokemon forced to approach, which can lead into a dazzling gleam for ya (which is strong as fuck too). overall, gardevoir is just absolutely insane. still working on climbing up through the leagues to unlock shadow mewtwo and all supports etc, but jirachi is a good partner since it helps with synergy. also, high stance rocks and recovering hp is such a neat aspect. that little bit of hp always seems to come in handy. :heart: gardevoir

any pikachu libre mains here? I've been doing alright online so far but I am having so much trouble with the Charizard matchup. I can dominate him for half the battle but 2 hits and im almost dead. He also has enough of a range pressure game that I can't just abuse field phase like I do with Garchomp and Machamp matchups

if anyone knows how to handle Zard pls let me know

any pikachu libre mains here? I've been doing alright online so far but I am having so much trouble with the Charizard matchup. I can dominate him for half the battle but 2 hits and im almost dead. He also has enough of a range pressure game that I can't just abuse field phase like I do with Garchomp and Machamp matchups

if anyone knows how to handle Zard pls let me know
From what I've experienced, the best way to deal with Zard is to Block and force him to approach you. None of Zard's ranged attacks do damage on block from what I've seen. Grabs also work fairly well against Zards, seeing as how many of them play hyper aggressively and can be fairly easy to punish. Some of his attacks are fairly laggy, and can be capitalized upon if you play carefully.

OK so i just finished beating shadow mewtwo and damn,,, hardest boss in pokemon bar none. took me a solid six tries or so. is he incredibly powerful or am i just bad at this game? i'd like to think the previous. i just spammed low stance back x and the occasional counter here and there. thinking abt picking up reg mewtwo now, it seems pretty cool.

I'll warn you unfixable, Mewtwo's Synergy Burst is a grab, and it's another one that takes forever to charge up.
I'm gonna give a brief desc on it:
Mewtwo is basically a "stat wall". Mewtwo has high health and high damage output so, in a slugfest, Mewtwo will come out on top against pretty much anyone who isn't Machamp or Charizard (though Mewtwo's speed is about average while those two are super slow). Mewtwo's projectiles are not really very good at zoning people out so you won't see much success trying to play Mewtwo like Gardevoir or Chandelure, but they're pretty great at disrupting a lot of things the opponent might want to do (they're especially good at countering opposing projectiles). Mewtwo's only real disadvantage is that he builds his synergy meter absurdly slowly and even consumes a little of his own meter to do his "A" moves; if you don't use a cheer that builds synergy it's reasonably likely you can go the whole game without ever getting a burst, and even if you do, expect only one burst whereas other characters could reasonably expect 2 or 3. When you get the burst, you get the advantage of a completely absurd command grab super that does way too much damage (it's more than half life against the lower health characters), but when you look at characters like Pikachu Libre that get a burst every round without fail, it can be underwhelming.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Patch confirmed. Guess what's getting removed?

Serebii said:
Pokkén Tournament - Version 1.2

A patch for Pokkén Tournament on the Wii U has been announced. This patch is said to come in early April and is said to fix a few of the issues that are plaguing the game. The full extent of the patch is not yet known, but we know it will contain the following

• A fix for Shadow Mewtwo where it can cause an infinite combo that cannot be stopped
  • An adjustment for Reshiram
  • Various bug fixes
We will post when the patch goes live with full data from the patch.

I've completed the singleplayer mode up to the end of the Blue League, and I'm just wondering: Are the first two Shadow Mewtwo battles scripted losses? Because I very narrowly lost the first one (I feel like I could have won, but I misplayed), and then it completely dominated the second one. And from the dialogue, it seems like you're intended to lose them.

Other than that, I've been having a lot of fun with Suicune. This is the first "traditional" fighting game I've ever played, but my impressions of it are quite good! And let me tell you, I was extremely happy when I found the option to turn off Nia's voice. She is, in my opinion, a contender for Most Annoying NPC In Pokemon.

I've completed the singleplayer mode up to the end of the Blue League, and I'm just wondering: Are the first two Shadow Mewtwo battles scripted losses? Because I very narrowly lost the first one (I feel like I could have won, but I misplayed), and then it completely dominated the second one. And from the dialogue, it seems like you're intended to lose them.
I think you can win the first two, (and by win I mean get Mewtwo down to 1 HP before it flees,) but the game doesn't penalize you for losing them in any way. After Red League, you're going to have to win the fights.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm gonna be at a small tournament at GenCon in August, and while I still love Braixen...I'm starting to realize that she's more than a little spammy. As such, I'm working on my Mewtwo rn. Any tips, tricks, etc for a fledgling geneticist?
Reposting here b/c exposure

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So I'm a Lucario main, and I've been wanting to pick up Chandelure as a secondary because she's super powerful and is also really cute (Like seriously that voice is amazing). Any tips other Chandelure players can give me, I've been using her online for a bit and doing alright, but still need to get a grasp of her combos and stuff like that.

I've been a Suicune main, and I do pretty well online when I don't run into lag. I'm trying to pick up Mewtwo as a secondary, but, even though I do really well with him in the hardest difficulties of CPUs, I can never feel like I'm figuring out how to play him. I'm still working on it, though.

So I'm a Lucario main, and I've been wanting to pick up Chandelure as a secondary because she's super powerful and is also really cute (Like seriously that voice is amazing). Any tips other Chandelure players can give me, I've been using her online for a bit and doing alright, but still need to get a grasp of her combos and stuff like that.
I suggest watching PkSparkxx's videos on youtube for he is on of the best Chandelure Mains in Pokken

Still don't own the game, but I've been to various furry conventions that offer the game as one of its big selling points, and I just love Machamp so much! The muscle work they put into his model is gorgeous. And he's so strong, too. With Bulk Up, he can combo after a charged Counter attack into Cross Chop!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well Karxrida should be happy. Also we did need a Water-type Starter as a fighter, would have gone with Samurott but Empoleon works too.

So, what would we categorize those fighters? Here are my guesses.

Scizor - Standard. Quite Slow in movement, but may have the move Agility to give it a brief moment (like a counterpart to Machamp's Bulk Up). May hold lots of low damage moves that do little damage. But they get buffed by Agility as if using the obtained speed to hit harder. Either X-scissor or Bullet punch will be its long range
Empoleon - Either Technical, Standard, or Power. If we look at Empoleon's builds. it can honestly go either way. Offensive defensive, or a mix of both. So no idea here.
Darkrai - Either Technical or Speed. Mostly offens.ive moves and go aggressive

I know in reality it isn't, but this game definitely feels like Nintendo is catering to my specific tastes. Mewtwo, Charizard, Machamp, Scizor, Suicune, Sceptile, Empoleon, Garchomp, and Darkrai? Those pokemon have been my favorite at various times in my life.

TBH I hope they do DLC batches. Would love to see other people's favorite pokemon in the game.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Haven't seen any mention of new Pokemon so... it's probably just that Garchomp, Braixen, and Shadow Mewtwo are coming to the Japanese Arcade Game where they are excluded from currently.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

Finally got to play this game after getting home from college. I got through the whole game in a few days (including the Iron League) and the only point I struggled with was the Chroma League tournament (which took three attempts.) It may just be me, but the AI seems to be pretty garbage. I've had a few online battles and it seems even the E-rank players are stronger than the AI.

So as you can see, I've been pretty much playing Suicune and nothing else. Emolga + Fennekin is my favorite support set; Fennekin is nice for keeping characters like Garchomp away and is just in general good for whenever you're about to get combo'd, while Emolga is nice for fast characters like Weavile and Sceptile. I have Yveltal + Latios as a support set to choose from basically just to help against Gengar; that burst attack is some grade-A bogus. I've played around with other characters, but seem to be able to adapt to most situations with Suicune and get the most 5-star battles. I toyed around with Skill Points a bit and find that a pretty defense-heavy spread works for me; I'm pretty bad at shielding (although manage to shield to block burst attacks & opponent supports) so I do that to patch that up a bit (do skill points apply online, though?)

Thinking of picking up Weavile as a secondary as it's so far the character I'm second-best with, but I'm not sure if it's particularly helpful in any matchups Suicune is bad with. Either way, it's a pretty fun game; wish I didn't have to wait until now to play it. Also why isn't Zoroark in this game

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)