Pokémon Polteageist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
1573930640254.png

#855 Polteageist
1573931247504.png

1573930817466.png

Base Stats: 60 | 65 | 65 | 134 | 114 | 70 (Total: 508)
Ability: Weak Armor | Cursed Body (HA)

Level Up Moves:

- [00] Teatime
- [01] Teatime
- [01] Strength Sap
- [01] Astonish
- [01] Withdraw
- [01] Aromatic Mist
- [01] Mega Drain
- [18] Protect
- [24] Sucker Punch
- [30] Aromatherapy
- [36] Giga Drain
- [42] Nasty Plot
- [48] Shadow Ball
- [54] Memento
- [60] Shell Smash
- [66] Curse

TMs:

- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM17] Light Screen
- [TM18] Reflect
- [TM20] Self-Destruct
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM28] Giga Drain
- [TM38] Will-O-Wisp
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM44] Imprison
- [TM57] Payback
- [TM71] Wonder Room
- [TM76] Round
- [TM77] Hex
- [TM86] Phantom Force

TRs:

- [TR11] Psychic
- [TR14] Metronome
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR25] Psyshock
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR29] Baton Pass
- [TR33] Shadow Ball
- [TR38] Trick
- [TR58] Dark Pulse
- [TR68] Nasty Plot
- [TR81] Foul Play
- [TR82] Stored Power
- [TR83] Ally Switch

Notable moves:

1573931469934.png
: Strength Sap, Aromatherapy, Nasty Plot, Shell Smash, Memento, Will-o-Wisp, Substitute, Baton Pass, Trick, Light Screen, Reflect
1573931557575.png
: Giga Drain, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Psyshock, Dark Pulse, Stored Power

Description of New Moves:

Teatime: The user has teatime with all the Pokémon in the battle. Each Pokémon eats its held Berry.

General Overview:

Positives:
- Polteageist has a great offensive typing in mono Ghost, which is only resisted by Dark-types and only Normal types are immune to. Said typing also does decent from a defensive point of view, having two immunities in Normal and Fighting, and only having two weaknesses in Ghost and Dark.
- Most importantly, Polteageist has access to Shell Smash. Coupled with great special attack, decent speed, good offensive typing and a useful ability in Weak Armor, this makes it a dreaded late game cleaner as soon as Dark-types are sufficiently weakened. Its decent special defense and a useful typing also ease setup.
- It has access to a good STAB move in Shadow Ball and decent coverage in Stored Power and Giga Drain, which hit several would-be-checks in Toxapex and Tyranitar.
- Polteageist has a usable support movepool in Strength Sap, Dual Screens, Will-o-Wisp, Aromatherapy and Baton Pass.

Negatives:
- Polteageist has mediocre defense, which makes it easy to revenge kill with the likes of Shadow Sneak Aegislash, Barraskewda and Excadrill.
- It has a shallow offensive movepool, merely consisting of Psychic, Grass and redundant Dark coverage. Therefore, it is easily checked, if not countered, by Dark-types such as Tyranitar and Bisharp.

Dynamax Potential:
Polteageist has great potential if Dynamaxed due to its access to Shell Smash and a potential Life Orb. Most notably, it can use Max Mindstorm and turn the field into Psychic Terrain in order to power up its Stored Power and shield it from priority users. It can also use Max Phantasm to break through walls and Max Overgrowth to provide itself with recovery and power up Giga Drain due to Grassy Terrain. It might also run Dark Pulse, which gives access to an SpD-lowering Max Darkness, though Dark coverage is largely redundant with Ghost STAB.

Potential Movesets

Polteageist @ Life Orb/White Herb/Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Stored Power
- Giga Drain/Substitute/Strength Sap/Will-o-Wisp

Polteageist @ Leftovers/Light Clay
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball/Hex
- Strength Sap
- Will-o-Wisp/Reflect
- Aromatherapy/Light Screen

Last edited:
shell smash is definitely the way to go with poltegeist. i used the set with shell smash, shadow ball, stored power, and will-o-wisp. i think wisp is nice in that last slot to burn darks and chip them. but the other options are great too!

that being said. i'm not very confident on how good this pokémon will be it's physical bulk is pretty abysmal, especially with all the power creep and makes it hard to setup. and if your opponent has a dark type you might have a hard time!

still looks like a decent choice though, especially on ho! can't wait to see how it fares in the long run.

Definitely running this on my team. Not just because of Shell Smash, Stored Power, and its Ghost typing, but because I'm actually an avid tea drinker. Of course that does make me curious as to what its black tea tastes like.
I even considered for a time that Polteageist would get various form changes based on different types of tea. The forgery vs. authentic thing is interesting, but I'm talking about something with a much more notable appearance change AND more competitive value.

Mod Edit: I removed the theorymon from this post. Please refrain from doing things like theorymonning moves in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this is easily my favourite new mon and probably on my list for top 5 favs, i honest'y cant believe they decided to make an adorable teacup that evolves into a teapot, what a wild idea..

this is the set I used, and the one I imagine would be the standard:

Polteageist @ White Herb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain
- Stored Power

I suppose you could run strength sap possibly, over stored power, but I honestly believe you 100% need every move on that set. it can't afford to run will-o-wisp, aroma, screens, or any of the other gimmicky moves it learns cuz you'd be missing out on an amazing shell smash mon. it also doesn't have the stats to pull off a support set imo so there are probably better mons to do that

it has to be careful of dark-types though, here are some important calcs:

+2 252 SpA Polteageist Giga Drain vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 224-264 (58.4 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 32 SpD Hydreigon: 141-166 (43.3 - 51%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO

it also completely loses to mandibuzz on the spot, as well as bisharp probably, and i can't remember if there are any other relevant darks. also the abundance of ditto on ladder rn and the fact that it's literally in every single team doesn't help teapot's set-up potential -_-

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this is easily my favourite new mon and probably on my list for top 5 favs, i honest'y cant believe they decided to make an adorable teacup that evolves into a teapot, what a wild idea..

this is the set I used, and the one I imagine would be the standard:

Polteageist @ White Herb
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain
- Stored Power

I suppose you could run strength sap possibly, over stored power, but I honestly believe you 100% need every move on that set. it can't afford to run will-o-wisp, aroma, screens, or any of the other gimmicky moves it learns cuz you'd be missing out on an amazing shell smash mon. it also doesn't have the stats to pull off a support set imo so there are probably better mons to do that

it has to be careful of dark-types though, here are some important calcs:

+2 252 SpA Polteageist Giga Drain vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 224-264 (58.4 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 32 SpD Hydreigon: 141-166 (43.3 - 51%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO

it also completely loses to mandibuzz on the spot, as well as bisharp probably, and i can't remember if there are any other relevant darks. also the abundance of ditto on ladder rn and the fact that it's literally in every single team doesn't help teapot's set-up potential -_-
Will O Wisp is a great option over Giga Drain because it can be used to cripple things it normally just couldnt beat

I favor weak armor over cursed body almost soley because it works well with stored power. Using weak armor with focus sash or even colbur berry could make for a devestating sweeper after a shell smash.

I've only played with it a bit, but specially defensive with Will-o-wisp, Strength Sap, Aromatherapy, and Hex has worked out very well for me. It can outspeed many other walls, and even against Tyrannitar, Burn and Strength Sap keep Polteageist healthy and safe, even against a Pursuit, so I can switch to an answer to its checks with less trouble. Hex on burned pokemon does a lot without investment due to that nice 134 base Sp. Atk. It's not unbreakable or anything but as a wall I think Polteageist is gonna be popular too.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Since I haven’t seen it posted yet:

Polteageist @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain
- Endure

Endure may seem gimmicky, but I’ve had a lot of fun and some success with this.
The advantages over the Shell Smash set is that you can actually potentially counter sweep some physical set up mons. For example, if the opponent has a damaged +1 Gyara, you can come in with this, Endure, get the +2 Speed from Weak Armor and the +1 Special Attack from Petaya, and then start a counter sweep. Not to mention, if you scare something out and get a free nasty plot, his power at Modest and +3 is insane. Giga Drain is also cool in that you can regain your health from 1 HP very rapidly.

Disadvantages include less coverage and being reliant for Speed Boosts on physical damage for weak armor. However I think the utility of this mon is crazy good and it catches people by surprise so often, Ghost is also great for sweeping and any mon that resists it was probably gonna beat you already regardless of your coverage. Give it a shot!

I'm running one with Weak Armor/Focus Sash and it's my favorite counter to Gyarados (and any scary dynamaxed set-up sweeper...).

After getting smacked by gyarados, activating weak armor and shell smashing, this thing comes back with +4 speed and +2 attacking stats. It outspeeds gyarados unboosted, so unless gyarados got up to +5 speed, you win. Stored Power has 180 BP, and if you also dynamax that turn, you put down psychic terrain which protects you from priority. This thing one-shots ferrothorn. It's godlike!!!!

So, as a focus sash-dependant setup sweeper, this dude really needs rapid spin/defog support, right? What do you guys recommend as team options?

So, as a focus sash-dependant setup sweeper, this dude really needs rapid spin/defog support, right? What do you guys recommend as team options?
Excadrill is pretty good at rapid spinning. It can even set up Stealth Rocks for hazard support.
Good Defoggers are probably bulky Corviknight and Mew.

On the shell smash set if you aren't dynamaxing sucker punch may be worthwhile as a counter to revenge killers, while it's attack stat is paltry, after a shell smash that could be a nice hit on it's counters and punishes an attempt to use a priority user to take it out aegislash sword, barraskeda and excadrill all have negligable defense stats

I agree with Sucker Punch. I actually came here to mention it. It’s nice as a “ last hurrah” or beating an opposing focus sasher, allowing your sweep to continue. It does sting quite a bit after a Shell Smash. I plowed through the Battle Tower thanks to having Sucker Punch.

I really want to make use of the shell smash set and was wondering what the best mons to support teafriend are? I saw someone mention double screen grimmsnarl before but wondering what other people's core for the mon are

Here's an interesting calc for a -Def nature with 0 IV spread. Is it worth it? Probably not, but hey.

+2 0 Atk Polteageist Sucker Punch vs. -2 252 HP / 0- Def Polteageist-Ditto: 554-654 (184.6 - 218%)

With a -Def nature and 0 Defense IVs, +2 Polteageist can reliably OHKO a Dynamax'd Ditto with Sucker Punch and rocks. The odds still favor Ditto overall, particularly if Ditto can switch, but it's a slight improvement.

edit: made a mistake, see below.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting calc for a -Def nature with 0 IV spread. Is it worth it? Probably not, but hey.

+2 0 Atk Polteageist Sucker Punch vs. -2 252 HP / 0- Def Polteageist-Ditto: 554-654 (184.6 - 218%)

With a -Def nature and 0 Defense IVs, +2 Polteageist can reliably OHKO a Dynamax'd Ditto with Sucker Punch and rocks. The odds still favor Ditto overall, particularly if Ditto can switch, but it's a slight improvement.
Why is the Ditto at -2 instead of -1?

Could Polteageist have some synergy with Indeedee, since Psychic Terrain support would help prevent revenge killing?

Ah, I knew I would mix up some simple detail with Shell Smash... Thanks for the correction.
Perhaps you were thinking of Shell Smash -1 and Weak Armor -1? For what it's worth 28 Attack EVs would increase the chance of OHKO 25% and you'd only be giving up 1.5% of your Special Attack if you went that route, while gaining 4.2% Attack in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)