Post your searing hot takes

didls

formerly Besom
fyi its only JP DP
It's in all versions of DP, actually. The only glitch I can think of that is exclusive to JP DP is the Surf glitch.

Back during Shoddy Battle, the Protect glitch was implemented because it's present in all versions of DP; this is why 30% freeze Blizzard isn't implemented in RBY OU.

There are multiple threads where people have asked why Thunder hit through Protect, and they can be found easily through Google. I can't find it, but I even recall one thread back during DP Wi-Fi (so 2007 or 2008, presumably) where someone discovered the glitch when their Yanmega got hit even though it used Protect, though it was dismissed (I presume this was before the glitch was discovered).

Pac-Man is the most iconic character. Not video game character. Just character in general.

Whenever someone refers to any circle with a wedge taken out of it, they describe it as "Pac-Man shaped". Pac-Man has completely hijacked "circle with wedge taken out of it" in the public conscious. That common shape is Pac-Man. He's miles ahead of second place (Mickey Mouse).

Blaceheplons typing makes no sense.
Well the Fire is a given. It is based on fireworks, after all.

As for Ghost... I guess it's supposed to be Pennywise or something? Its Pokedex entries are very clearly of a Ghost Pokemon, but it's not really reflected in its design like at all. I know a lot of people (myself included) were hoping for Fire/Fairy.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mega evolutions, as implemented, were/are not a great mechanic. Just because they're better than z moves and dmax doesn't automatically mean they're good.

Just broken megas: Gengar, Salamence, Mawile (at time of release), Kangaskhan, Lucario, Blastoise (assuming it returns bc Shell Smash), Rayquaza
Steroid megas for already-good mons: Alakazam, Blaziken, Garchomp, Latias/Latios, Salamence, Scizor, Slowbro, Tyranitar, Mega Mewtwo Y
Sorely missing help to realize potential: Absol, Houndoom, Sceptile, Mega Mewtwo X
Just not very good competitively: Abomasnow, Audino, Steelix, Camerupt
Specifics: Gallade (very static. same design, same type, null ability), Manectric (just ugly), Sableye (not fun!), Lopunny (normal fighting scrappy is not subtle + arbitrary lack of archetype continuity)

This leaves 19/48 megas I would call "good" or "great":

Good: Altaria, Ampharos, Banette, Beedrill, Charizard X, Charizard Y, Diancie, Gyarados, Medicham, Metagross, Pidgeot, Swampert
Great: Aerodactyl, Aggron, Gardevoir, Glalie, Pinsir, Sharpedo, Venusaur

I was generous for some of these. Both Charizards are obvious pandering, Diancie is more like a forme than a mega, Swampert is ugly and has lopunny's problem of arbitrary non-continuity, Metagross is on the very edge of broken, Altaria is more of a Fairy type than either a Dragon or Flying type so that's awkward. And still barely 1/3 made the cut to what I would even call "good".

didls

formerly Besom
Wally's Gallde is cool and all, but I miss his Gardevoir. It's the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "Wally" and his team just doesn't feel right without it IMO.

Mega evolutions, as implemented, were/are not a great mechanic. Just because they're better than z moves and dmax doesn't automatically mean they're good.

Just broken megas: Gengar, Salamence, Mawile (at time of release), Kangaskhan, Lucario, Blastoise (assuming it returns bc Shell Smash), Rayquaza
Steroid megas for already-good mons: Alakazam, Blaziken, Garchomp, Latias/Latios, Salamence, Scizor, Slowbro, Tyranitar, Mega Mewtwo Y
Sorely missing help to realize potential: Absol, Houndoom, Sceptile, Mega Mewtwo X
Just not very good competitively: Abomasnow, Audino, Steelix, Camerupt
Specifics: Gallade (very static. same design, same type, null ability), Manectric (just ugly), Sableye (not fun!), Lopunny (normal fighting scrappy is not subtle + arbitrary lack of archetype continuity)

This leaves 19/48 megas I would call "good" or "great":

Good: Altaria, Ampharos, Banette, Beedrill, Charizard X, Charizard Y, Diancie, Gyarados, Medicham, Metagross, Pidgeot, Swampert
Great: Aerodactyl, Aggron, Gardevoir, Glalie, Pinsir, Sharpedo, Venusaur

I was generous for some of these. Both Charizards are obvious pandering, Diancie is more like a forme than a mega, Swampert is ugly and has lopunny's problem of arbitrary non-continuity, Metagross is on the very edge of broken, Altaria is more of a Fairy type than either a Dragon or Flying type so that's awkward. And still barely 1/3 made the cut to what I would even call "good".
I definitely agree with the majority of your points but I just can't condone what you said about Swampert: it definitely doesn't have archetypal arbitrary non-continuity--Its stat spread is honestly just a beefed up version of standard Swampert--Attack stays the highest, the defenses are well rounded and solid as well, speed is the lowest. They just gave it an actually useful ability in Swift Swim, which it just didn't have before--Damp and Torrent are very situational. (and flavor-wise it makes perfect sense! Its dex entries say it can swim as fast as a jet ski, standard Pert shoulda gotten that over Damp in the first place!)
Also, actual hot take lol, Mega Swampert isn't ugly, he just a stronk boi

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I definitely agree with the majority of your points but I just can't condone what you said about Swampert: it definitely doesn't have archetypal arbitrary non-continuity--Its stat spread is honestly just a beefed up version of standard Swampert--Attack stays the highest, the defenses are well rounded and solid as well, speed is the lowest. They just gave it an actually useful ability in Swift Swim, which it just didn't have before--Damp and Torrent are very situational. (and flavor-wise it makes perfect sense! Its dex entries say it can swim as fast as a jet ski, standard Pert shoulda gotten that over Damp in the first place!)
Also, actual hot take lol, Mega Swampert isn't ugly, he just a stronk boi
Normal Swampert is a utility tank with just enough power to not be outright weak, at least after contemporary power creep. Mega Swampert is a dedicated offensive weather sweeper. The big role gap is largely because of Swift Swim, which regular Swampert didn't get (possibly on purpose because it's a generalist utility mon), even if its not a gap as big as Lopunny's.

Even if Swampert got an ability more "role-compatible" like Damp, its 100/110/110 defensive spread probably doesn't make it a good enough utility tank to spend your Mega Stone on. Not all utility megas have amazing defensive stats, but if they don't, they have a special something like Blastoise's Rapid Spin, Venusaur's Synthesis/Leech Seed/Thick Fat, or Scizor's Defog/Roost. Swampert gets STAB Scald and Stealth Rock, sure, but I don't think that measures up.

My optimal preference would either be a more defensive-focused stat spread to compensate for the lack of a comparable "special something", or an ability that provides it: one like Rough Skin, Immunity, or Bulletproof, but of course those examples don't necessarily make flavor sense.

Normal Swampert is a utility tank with just enough power to not be outright weak, at least after contemporary power creep. Mega Swampert is a dedicated offensive weather sweeper. The big role gap is largely because of Swift Swim, which regular Swampert didn't get (possibly on purpose because it's a generalist utility mon), even if its not a gap as big as Lopunny's.

Even if Swampert got an ability more "role-compatible" like Damp, its 100/110/110 defensive spread probably doesn't make it a good enough utility tank to spend your Mega Stone on. Not all utility megas have amazing defensive stats, but if they don't, they have a special something like Blastoise's Rapid Spin, Venusaur's Synthesis/Leech Seed/Thick Fat, or Scizor's Defog/Roost. Swampert gets STAB Scald and Stealth Rock, sure, but I don't think that measures up.

My optimal preference would either be a more defensive-focused stat spread to compensate for the lack of a comparable "special something", or an ability that provides it: one like Rough Skin, Immunity, or Bulletproof, but of course those examples don't necessarily make flavor sense.
Yeah I can see that. But like, just because Mega Swampert has an actual ability, doesn’t make it an entirely different archetype, it can still do the utility tank deed better than standard Pert as seen in ORAS UU. It’s just that it’s not UU nowadays because people use it for a rain sweeper. Regardless, it’s stat focus stays the exact same, it just gets an actual ability and that was my entire point. However I agree that a defensive spread and ability would’ve been cool to see, but I’m frankly glad it did not get that because as you cited in your post, there’s already plenty of those. Swift Swim adds a flavorful and unique aspect to an already great Pokémon, and you don’t have to use Mega Pert for it to be viable in OU, as seen with standard Pert’s success in the current SS OU meta. But anyway yeah that’s all

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
i didnt come to this forum to read faux-CAP posts theorycrafting how Megas 'should have been'

a take of my own: puyo puyo's constellations (in puyo puyo tetris) are bullshit. you have a shovel, a tea kettle, an umbrella, and a trumpet. and that's just the inanimate objects! that are presumably prominent in the mythology of the early ages of the puyoverse! then you have a man bowing in clear subservience as a constellation (perhaps bowing to Satan? he is a character in this series, after all), as well as a koala. actually, ykw, the koala makes some degree of sense, as an animal. perhaps a testament to stubbornness. but jfc whoever came up with these has no regard for the cultural impact of zodiac signs.

maybe this was more of a rant than a take. still wanted to say it tho

PTSD jokes aren't funny and are in fact yikes-worthy. Like, the T stands for trauma. It could be war, rape, some near-death experience, the point is that whatever someone who suffers from PTSD went through seriously fucked them up, and now they're going through a ton of therapy so that whenever something reminds them of the event, or if they're just sitting in their living room and happen to think about it, they don't immediately have a panic attack.

But no, "haha funny nam flashback"

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
When it comes to social media, the "technology bad" boomers were ahead of their time. They were shitting on sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram long before the rest of the general public (namely younger users) realized how rancid their userbases are and it became cool to crack jokes about how fucking insufferable they are

Too many people conflate politics with actual moral character. Stated beliefs and practiced beliefs are very different things and it's concerning that so many people seem content to blindly follow and defend someone because they happen to fall on the same end of the political spectrum as they are. This isn't even me attacking one side over the other, both are just as guilty, need to practice more critical thought, and pay closer attention to 'their guys' even if that means being critical of your own side.

MAMP

MAMP!
When it comes to social media, the "technology bad" boomers were ahead of their time. They were shitting on sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram long before the rest of the general public (namely younger users) realized how rancid their userbases are and it became cool to crack jokes about how fucking insufferable they are
yeah the real problem with monolithic social media sites is that the people who use them are kinda annoying

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
A specific group of JoJo fans have been the K-Pop stans of anime for a while now, but the community does hardly anything to stop it. The show's reputation to westerners is through the gutter because of it at this point.

The same old "watch JoJo you have no excuse not to watch it NOW" shit, the same old 5 jokes, their lives and internet identity literally revolve around it...they're literally just K-Pop stans. Nothing is worse than having some dude with a JoJo pfp harassing you in DMs because you haven't watched anime since 2017 and don't intend to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)