Post your searing hot takes

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not sympathize with Gary Bowser and Team Xecuter that much and I would not donate to a fundraiser for him. I agree the punishment is a severe one, but most of his defenders' arguments are based on misconceptions that downplay or ignore their many crimes just because the other party is Nintendo and/or joking about how his last name is Bowser.

Team Xecuter's custom firmware was heavily copied from the open source work of Atmosphere by SciresM, but not open source or free itself and being resold for profit via softmod, breaking their licensing terms as the first of many. This specific firmware illegally included encryption keys that allowed people to play pirated games, which most custom firmware does not include for good reason. They also included a DRM-like feature such that you had to pay for a licensing fee to be able to use their firmware or else your Switch would be bricked, which could also happen if you tried to use the same license on multiple consoles or tried to reverse engineer their protection. This is similar to one of their past endeavors, Gateway3DS, which would brick your 3DS if you used a rival flashcard. (They are the same people and were pulling similar stuff for over a decade.) It's ironic how the people letting you pirate games didn't want their own software to be pirated.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-members-notorious-videogame-piracy-group-team-xecuter-custody
The indictment alleges that due to the illegal nature of its business, Team Xecuter continuously sought to evade enforcement efforts by victim companies, financial institutions, and law enforcement. Notably, Team Xecuter attempted to protect its overall business by using a wide variety of brands, websites, and distribution channels, according to the indictment. From approximately June 2013 through August 2020, Team Xecuter used a variety of product names for its devices, such as the Gateway 3DS, the Stargate, the TrueBlue Mini, the Classic2Magic, and the SX line of devices that included the SX OS, the SX Pro, the SX Lite, and the SX Core.
Another common misconception I've seen is the claim that they only sold the tools and not the pirated content. However the indictment from the department of justice website details that Team Xecuter knew that their whole product was based around piracy, and so they were involved in creating and supporting such illegal libraries, with Gary Bowser specifically setting up the "underground stuff". The same indictment also shows how they were engaged in wire fraud and money laundering, among other things like taking numerous steps to obscure their involvement. Overall it goes to show that Gary Bowser was a major player of a criminal organization making millions of dollars by exploiting their consumers and the homebrew scene, and not just a small time hacker just modding his console like some people seem to claim.
1682007025443.png
1682011652006.png

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
idt the issue is what the guy did it's more the fucked-up punishment they've given him. that shit's not on (<--------is going to sort it out personally)
i think a lot of people are getting the wrong takeaway from the punishment too.
Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 4.52.33 PM.png

Some people see "10 million" and "paying for the rest of his life" and stop there, and I agree both of these things are bad, but it's easy to misunderstand the details.

Google says the Canadian median income is about 40K CAD, the median Canadian retirement age is about 65, and that welfare does not count as gross income for this purpose. Bowser is 53. Assuming all that is true, and Bowser makes a median income until he retires at a median age, he will pay Nintendo about $120,000 to $150,000 CAD total, much less than you might think when you first see the punishment.

Again, this is not a good thing. Non-wealthy individuals should not be paying tens of thousands for the rest of their working life for IP violations. But the full picture is important. This outcome (not the 10M, the 100-ish K CAD that one could expect he'll actually pay) is very lenient compared to other outcomes in the U.S. justice system, the finance industry, and corporate litigation. Bowser isn't spending years in a cage for smoking weed, he's not being eternally harassed by debt collectors for 200K in faultless medical debt with interest, and he's not, well, I'll just link this list of everything McDonald's did in that one coffee case (besides the vicious propaganda to frame it as a frivolous suit, which isn't mentioned).

If this is people's wakeup call that Nintendo is a megacorp and not their Cute Funny Mario Animal Crossing Villager Friend, great, but I wish some discourse around this incident flowed more into "the US legal and financial systems are inhumanly penal, and the dystopian idea of eternal payment even if that's slightly better suited for debt narratives than this is an example" and not just "Nintendo is terrible".

wait what the hell is crossfit
You take different exercises from a variety of sports (most of them being based on strength) and bastardize them by prioritizing the amount of reps you can do in a short amount of time over good form. It's actual garbage, overpriced, has a huge risk of injury, is ineffective and even if you do shit right, you might start pissing blood because it requires you to do regular reps of things that should absolutely not be done regularly

Like it's so much more expensive and worse than just doing traditional resistance training or calisthenics and combine it with basic cardiovascular exercises. Going to the gym 2-3x a week and going running twice a week and you'll be golden, paying significantly less than for any crossfit program, have a low risk of injury and you won't be surrounded by crossfit weirdos

Pixar was between 2000 and 2010 the greatest movie studio ever

Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Wall-E, Ratatouille are all among some of the greatest movies ever made. Up and Toy Story 3 aren't as great, but still very very good and technologically impressive movies. The shorts they created during this era were also amazing, Partly Cloudy anyone?

There's only Cars which stains it. I didn't even like that one as a boy who loved playing with car toys. I like it even less now as an adult

Pixar was between 2000 and 2010 the greatest movie studio ever

Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Wall-E, Ratatouille are all among some of the greatest movies ever made. Up and Toy Story 3 aren't as great, but still very very good and technologically impressive movies. The shorts they created during this era were also amazing, Partly Cloudy anyone?

There's only Cars which stains it. I didn't even like that one as a boy who loved playing with car toys. I like it even less now as an adult
toy story 4 is one of the worst animated films of all time.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
genuinely curious what users itt see in toy story 4 that puts it in the depths of the emoji movie, shark tale, chicken little, shrek 3, home, cars 2, mars needs moms, hoodwinked 2, et. al.

Toy Story 4 just ruined so much that was already there. Something like the Emoji movie may annoy you, but ultimately, people will be indifferent. Toy Story 4 meanwhile breaks the perfect ending of the third movie and assassinates the franchise
this this this. not only is it just a boring unnecessary film, but it destroyed my love of the previous 3 films, and assassinates woody’s character; bonnie was his new kid and woody would NEVER leave his kid. cars 2 literally drives circles around this trash heap. while it isn’t as bad on paper as something like the emoji movie, ratatoing, or mars needs moms, at least those movies are so bad that i can get some sick pleasure in making fun of them. i get no pleasure from watching toy story 4 and i’d genuinely rather watch foodfight 3 times in a row.

this this this. not only is it just a boring unnecessary film, but it destroyed my love of the previous 3 films, and assassinates woody’s character; bonnie was his new kid and woody would NEVER leave his kid. cars 2 literally drives circles around this trash heap. while it isn’t as bad on paper as something like the emoji movie, ratatoing, or mars needs moms, at least those movies are so bad that i can get some sick pleasure in making fun of them. i get no pleasure from watching toy story 4 and i’d genuinely rather watch foodfight 3 times in a row.
what's wrong with ratatouille-

Ratatoing is a very weird and cheaply made rip off of Ratatouille. There are many, many rip offs of popular Disney movies and animated films from other studios. None are worth watching, they look shit and they're all super duper boring
oh i thought ratatoing was a nickname for ratatouille, that's my bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 2)